Dragon Quest X on Wii

Posted by Speedfreak

http://kotaku.com/5106136/dragon-quest-x-coming-to-wii

Whee.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

ugh, the TENTH game in this series? ****ing rehash.

having never played any dragon quest, never mind this one, i can say with 100% certainty this game will be terrible

so i was playing dragon quest X at a convention the other day and i was so good that a guy was filming me... heh. i'm that good.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

I would just like to say that I called this way back when IX was announced for the DS. Thusly: MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Not a huge fan of the series. 8 was pretty boring and 9 looks like a pass.

Posted by Ant

I'd play it if it came out on Xbox360. But since it's coming out on Wii it's probably going to be a WAGGLEfest. Whatever, more dust for my Wii to collect.

Posted by Speedfreak

Dragon Quest is turn-based, I doubt they'd waggle it up unless Horii told SE to go fuck themselves and made this one an action game, in which case it'd be amazing anyway.

Maybe you'd play it on 360, but 98% of DQs fanbase wouldn't.

I could see more of a point-and-click aspect to the battle system, at least. Being able to target specific enemies just by aiming the cursor at them instead of using the d-pad, maybe even directing certain spells by pointing the Wiimote. That'd be pretty cool, actually: Casting a flamethrower spell or something, and then being able to determine whether you want to hold the flame on one particular enemy to cause more damage to that one, or sweep it across all of them to spread the pain around.

Posted by coromoro

That's the kind of idea that would be really cool but developers would never do for some reason. :(

Posted by Speedfreak

IX was going to be an action game. When the fans stop being jerks it will eventually get there. Hori has talked about eliminating the series "placeholders" before. Swapping out the map screen with a full world to run around in was done in VIII, replacing the exp system with a game you actually develop skill in is going to be the next.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

For the best. Series is pretty stale, and it doesn't matter what they do, fans will still pick it up. They'll *****, but they'll still buy it.

Posted by Speedfreak

I've only played VIII, so I won't speak for how stale it is. Apparantly V is the best in the series, so I'm going to base how great the series is on that.

Posted by Caer Death

I've beaten every DQ game out save for DQVIII, which I still got halfway through, including the Monsters games that they've released over here. Expanding on the DQ fanbase is one thing, but they can't turn away the loyal fans who expect more of the same. Some series have certain unchanging staples, and the DQ series is very classically based. Unlike Speedfreak seems to think, games like this aren't going to be "wagglefests" if brought onto the Wii. This game would work just fine with a sideways Wiimote scheme. Plain and simple, I think Squeenix is trying to reach out to the largest installed base possible, which in on Nintendo systems now, and they'll stick to what they know makes money. It should be cool, albeit familiar.

Posted by Speedfreak

I never said it was going to back a wagglefest, that was Ant. And I hardly think a bunch of cretins afraid of any change should stand in the way of progress either. Horii has described the battle system as a placeholder, and the battle system is mind-numbingly crap.

Posted by Caer Death

My mistake, I was reading a few threads in a row. I agree that I haven't been able to sit all of the way through DQVIII, despite having been through DWVII twice. I still play the RPGs Atlus publishes on the DS, though, like Etrian Odyssey and the upcoming Dark Spire. And as my avatar shows, Disgaea is awesome. I dunno, as far as I'm concerned, this generation is just void of good RPGs with good, solid advances. I guess we'll have to wait until FFXIII next year to really bring them onto the next level.

But for now, we haven't even seen DQIX released yet, so I don't think they're eager to rush DQX. I for one am still holding out hope that we'll get news of a goood wave of Wii games to come following the WiiMotionPlus.

Pfft. Any idea that I might enjoy FFXIII just went straight out the window. Apparently the battle system borrows heavily from the chrono cross battle system, or, as I like to call it, the "look at this tiny box of text and don't dare look away for even a second lest you miss a critical opportunity to string a combo together because nothing your characters are actually doing could possibly be as important" battle system.

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8979823&publicUserId=5379721

YEEEEAAARRRRGH!

Posted by Speedfreak

Ha, like World of Warcraft. Square are deathly afraid of battle systems that make any sense or could even remotely be any fun.

Posted by Pikamon

It's not that bad. I'm playing IV right now on the DS and it's pretty fun. I really enjoyed VII on the PSX. It had a great storyline, which is mostly why anyone plays RPGs to begin with. The battle system needs to be improved, but only in the sense that is should look like FFX. I like turn based battle systems so I'm sad to see the Final Fantasy series take it away (I hated XII because of that).