Most talented?

Posted by Kendra, Warrior Babe

Who are, in your opinions, the most talented musicians? I don't mean just vocalists (because this one went around a while ago, I think) but guitarists, drummers, bassists, or hell, therumin (sp?) players. Hmm?

Posted by coromoro

By talented do you mean being able to play fast and difficult things? :o

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Whoever used to play the Tiny Toons theme song.

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

whoever played the power rangers theme song

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Dark Bulb 4.3: whoever played the power rangers theme song

The two-handed tapping solo is actually pretty epic.

I think DragonForce are the best, the entire band is talented! Herman and Sam shred sooooo fast, even though they're just drunk onstage! And don't forget the other guys - Vadim makes awesome Mario sounds, ZP can do post-guitar solo "whoa-ohs" like no one else, Frederic is... Frederic, and Dave Mackintosh is a machine! He can play that one incredibly fast hardcore punk beat over and over and over and over and over again!

Posted by Klarth

i like you again now.

Posted by Linkman

Arjen Lucassen and Devin Townsend

Posted by WillisGreeny

Two of the great insturmentalists/composers of this century.

Gershwin:
[youtube=vvSZTmS1zew&feature=related]vvSZTmS1zew&feature=related[/youtube]

Maynard Ferguson:
[youtube=P2dOuSl8Qic&feature=related]P2dOuSl8Qic&feature=related[/youtube]

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

JEREMY SOULE

Posted by G-Sides

Posted by Shade

Steven Wilson and Arjen Lucassen.

Posted by delly033

Devin Townsend and Steven Wilson are the most talented musicians. I love their music, both are amazing....

Posted by coromoro

I like how Steven Wilson, Devin Townsend, and Arjen Lucassen have been mentioned in its three different possible pairings.

Posted by Klarth

One by an adspammer

Posted by Shade

It's there nonetheless.

Posted by Panic!

No one said Dream Theater yet? They're one of my favorites. I haven't heard anything from them in a while though. I was reminded how good they are playing "Pull Me Under" on Guitar Hero World Tour yesterday.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

ugh not one of these. You gotta narrow it down some more.

Most innovate musicians/bands: Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, Chuck Berry, Run DMC, Pink Floyd, The Byrds, Jethro Tull, RUSH, Devin Townshend, Hildegaard von Bingen, Nirvana, Sex Pistols, (I base these on either coming up with a "new" sound, or being able to market a "new" sound that wasn't particularly popular at the time), Nickelback (it is with a sour taste in my mouth that I must commend a band that possesses absolutely no: musical talent, innovative style, lyrical prowess, or singing ability to do as well as they have and usher in a new, nut-stomping era of utter garbage music. I tip my hat to Hitler for what he managed to do with an entire country, in that it's awe-inspiring in its... unreasonability, and it f*cking worked. People followed them, despite their better judgment, and they've become millionaires because of it. To dupe that many people that many times is f*cking impressive, to inspire other musicians to take up the sh*t-stained banner and imitate you, and become millionaires doing it, is enough to drive me to agnosticism. Commendable.)

Greatest Lyricists (talented writers): Bob Dylan, Niel Young, Bruce Springsteen, Idlewild, Bad Religion, Mos Def, Gordon Lightfoot, Elvis Costello, Tori Amos

Made a sh*t-ton of money and very popular over a long period of time, thus, could be "talented" overall- Journey, Lynard Skynard, Genesis, Fleetwood Mac, Moody Blues (though I f*ing hate them), Elvis Presley, the Beatles, the Doors, Bob Marley, Elton John, Iron Maiden, John Denver, Aerosmith, list goes on and on

Talented in regards to instruments- Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Phil Collins, Niel Pert, Rush, Dream Theater, Joe Satriani, Buckethead, RONNIE JAMES DIO, Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai, Bob Dylan, PRINCE (seriously disappointed that nobody has mentioned Prince as of yet), list goes on

it's hard to pigeonhole "talented". Knowing what's marketable and keeping up with the trend while doing it is "talent". Writing great music is "talent." Writing great lyrics is "talent". Consistently putting out a good mix of the two is "talent." Doing something new and innovative is "talent".

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: new, nut-stomping era of utter garbage music

[youtube=-TH5ibABP4U]-TH5ibABP4U[/youtube].

Combining screamo and crunk. IT'S GENIUS!!!

Posted by Shade

Has anybody ever had a kind of moment where a name just starts to make no sense to them for some reason? Kind of like how when you were kids you said words over and over again until they started to sound silly. Just looked at Devin Townsend's name now and thought, "Townsend... what?"

Not sure if that was coherent at all, but it was weird. K whatevs.

[quote]No one said Dream Theater yet? They're one of my favorites. I haven't heard anything from them in a while though. I was reminded how good they are playing "Pull Me Under" on Guitar Hero World Tour yesterday.

Eh, would've mentioned them earlier, but I was thinking more in terms of songwriting rather than raw technical talent. But as far as talent goes they've got that in spades. Except LaBrie.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Laughed my *** off at the vid Richaod posted.

Posted by Klarth

most innovative: The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Rush

most diverse/adaptable: Swans, Ulver

best lyricists: Steven Wilson, Roger Waters, Trent Reznor

best songwriters: David Gilmour, Arjen Lucassen, Bob Dylan, David Bowie

most technically able: Dream Theater (not labrie, though), Arjen Lucassen, Neil Peart, Roger Waters, Jason Becker

best overall band: Insane Clown Posse

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Shade: Except LaBrie.

post-1996. It was the expired food's fault!!

Netman, Brokencyde is the new ICP. In fact, I would go so far as to say that they kick all you Juggalo's asses with their pig mascot.

Posted by Omni

James LaBrie used to be better than he is now, but he was never one of the greatest singers ever. He was a fairly average example of a quasi-operatic metal vocalist.

Klarth's list is the most agreeable, though I'm far too lazy right now to post my own.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I seriously think you guys are underappreciating the skill that is the Artist Formerly Known as Prince. Srsly.

Posted by WackoHater

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoEhWnTTKLM"]John Bonham is the best drummer ever[/URL], no one will or has come close.

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=hendrix+woodstock&search_type="]Hendrix is the best guitarist/singer[/URL] (someone who could do both, not many can) ever, also one of the greatest rock music producers and studio wizard who was way before his time.

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=hendrix+like+a+rolling+stone&search_type="]More Jimi[/URL]

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYwZ8I8wOGA"]It ain't F_____ing BRITNEY KIDS !!![/URL]

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpT_D5v7fho"]TOP this beotchs[/URL]

Posted by Richaod

[quote]
kinderwords disagrees: have u heard them live? i was disgusted. they speed up everything 2 times in the studio

Apparently only 20% of the people in the world have a sense of irony.

Posted by George Grim

insturmentalists are very tallented.

Posted by Supermario

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: Talented in regards to instruments- Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Phil Collins, Niel Pert, Rush, Dream Theater, Joe Satriani, Buckethead, RONNIE JAMES DIO, Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai, Bob Dylan, PRINCE (seriously disappointed that nobody has mentioned Prince as of yet), list goes on

On Guitar: Tommy Emmanuel.

Posted by Dr. Rockso

Yngwie is one of the most talented guitarists I've ever seen.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Dr. Rockso: Yngwie is one of the most talented guitarists I've ever seen.

Too bad he's been shredding in Eb harmonic minor for 30 years.

Posted by Commix

I'm probably the most talented person I know.