Radio has gone downhill...

Posted by The_Essence_Vortex

I'm not talking about satellite radio, as I am too poor to get it at the moment. I'm talking about local radio and junk like that. Not a single station plays the music I like (techno, trance, etc.). There is only one radio station I listen to (a rock station), and even that station blares out crap and overplayed nonsense (Boulevard Of Broken Dreams, anyone?). Everyone tells me to just get satellite radio, but I am too poor for such things. *sigh*... Life is finding many ways to really make me mad nowadays...

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

I rarely listen to the radio, as none of the songs that are played on any of my local stations interest me, really. I, too, listen to a rock station occasionally, and they do overplay many songs, Boulevard of Broken Dreams being one of them. I used to burn my music to a cd, then copy the songs onto a cassette tape, but my car enjoy destroying them, so I don't do that any longer.

Posted by The_Essence_Vortex

Quoting Angelwing: Boulevard of Broken Dreams

Why the hell do they play that stupid song over and over? If people really want to hear it, why don't they just buy the CD or get a burned copy from their friends? That way, they can listen to it over and over without annoying anyone else.

Posted by MetalVox~55

I am not a fan of the radio.

Posted by rivercitytecmo

Quoting The_Essence_Vortex: Radio has gone downhill...

welcome to 1996.

Posted by Megatron

Radio has been going down hill way before 1996.

The only radio I listen to now is talk radio on AM.

Posted by Caryatid

I don't even bother trying to find a radio station I like anymore. It's all mainstream, now-the Top 20, and such nonsense. Since I don't live in an area that recieves a signal from a station that actually plays stuff I like, I just listen to CDs and stuff. I really like NPR, though, but that doesn't really count, since half the time it's talk shows and whatnot. Interesting talk shows, though!

Posted by Mixhael

I guess I'm lucky. 2 new fairly good music radio stations in L.A. have surfaced in recent months. KDAY 93.5 plays Old and New Hip Hop, a take off on the original 80s KDAY in Los Angeles, the first radio station to broadcast hip hop exclusively in the world. Indie 103.1 is the alternative to the alternative rock station, KROQ. They play lots of indie and weird rock n roll stuff that KROQ wouldn't go near because Queens of the Stonage songs need 5 runs an hour.

Talk Radio has been a great alternative for me since 6th grade. That's when I found KLSX and Howard Stern. Howard Stern's show in the morning has helped me wake up since junior high, almost 8 years ago. If you truly are sick of mainstream radio, switch over to the AM dial. Talk Radio, especially Sports talk radio, has sucked me in for years and I've turned many friends onto it since highschool. Tons of personalities are out there and syndicated nation wide for you to pick from based on your beliefs; Tom Leykis, Jim Rome, Al Franken, Rush Limbaugh, Dr. Laura (is she still on?), and a slew of others.

Basically though, Stern makes it easier and easier to wake up every morning so try and find him on one of your affiliates. Actually, he has like 8 months left on free radio before he goes to SIRIUS, so try to enjoy it while it lasts.

Posted by Caryatid

LA is supposed to be this huge music oasis where a bunch of awesome bands are and where a bunch of awesome bands started out. System of a Down started there, for example. So it's no wonder they would have good radio, as well.

However, Howard Stern, though commendable for not being afraid to speak out, has said some pretty disgusting things. When Columbine happened, his comment was-"I saw the tape of the kids being led out of the school, and some of those girls were pretty hot. Why didn't the kid have some sex with one of 'em? If I'd have been about to kill a bunch of people, and then kill myself, I would have at least had some sex."

Posted by Dandelion

Montana radio is horrid. Plays 80's music like it hasn't gone out of style >.<

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

The thing that annoys me more than anything is that on music radio channels, the DJs think they're something special, and continue to chat away about pointless competitions that nobody, apart from a small percentage of the listeners, are interested in. I was listening to a national indie rock radio station the other morning, and the DJ at the time promised to play a song I was pretty fond of after a competition. But, instead, they spent the entire half hour chatting away to some dumb broad on the end of the phone, and overran their scheduling. I don't want to listen to how you phoned in ten times to win tickets for 'Ciara', thanks.

Posted by Richaod

Radio has always been down the hill.

Basically, community radio stations will always have at least one interesting show that you're guaranteed to like. Alternatively, just get an MP3 player.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I wish the radio played more variety simply so I could get new music and not listen to my current cds to the point where they almost melt from overplay

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: I wish the radio played more variety simply so I could get new music and not listen to my current cds to the point where they almost melt from overplay

Internet radio is okay. If you have Audioscrobbler, sign in with that account at [url]www.last.fm[/url] and open the popup player, it plays songs from the track lists of people with similar tastes to yours. I discovered A Perfect Circle through it, and would've heard of a lot more through it if I had the energy.

Posted by Trigger

I stopped listening to radio years ago, when I realised that it simply wasn't appealing to me anymore and that much of it was pure crap. I do, sometimes, have bouts of "radioitis" and decide to give the radio a listen, but this usually lasts for a week and then dies again for years on end. I couldn't be bothered to listen to some Top 20 chart that apparently everyone enjoys. Radio is only going to get worse, since there are still people out there who get their rocks off over the antics on each station.

It doesn't bother me at all, though; I could care less if the radio stations are lacking in quality. It's keeping a handful of people in employment and saving us tax payers plenty of money. Money in my pocket certainly isn't something I'm going to be complaining about.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Quoting Richaod: Internet radio is okay. If you have Audioscrobbler, sign in with that account at [url]www.last.fm[/url] and open the popup player, it plays songs from the track lists of people with similar tastes to yours. I discovered A Perfect Circle through it, and would've heard of a lot more through it if I had the energy.

sweet, thanks
(was going to rep, but need to spread)

Posted by G-Sides

We have one classic rock station that plays too many ads and then two normal rock stations that equally overplay the same stuff. For example, one station might be overplaying Headstrong while the other overplaying My Immortal or some shit like that.

And then the rest is rap :(

EDIT: [url=http://www.musicmademe.com/show_sng.php?d=18662]These[/url] lyrics explain exactly how I feel about modern radio today.

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Dandelion: Montana radio is horrid. Plays 80's music like it hasn't gone out of style >.<

You should listen to The Edge. When I lived there, it came in clearly where you live. I added so much musical material into their collection when I lived there and I would always hear it randomly play and know that it was partly my contribution. Also, it is enjoyable to go in there as a DJ and play selected material and comment on it, among other things. I remember playing Therion and Nightwish in there many years ago when I was incredibly fond of both of them. I remember one time I was DJing with my sister, Fairy, and another friend of mine and I played "Sound of Silence" by Nevermore and fans of the original were calling in wondering where I learn about all this stuff. People were looking forward to the times when Dexter was going to take over the radio. They were curious as to what "unusual" music I was going to play. Having interaction with that station made it more interesting. It was one of the last times I regularly listened to the radio. They used my voice for commercials and various other things. I don't even know if that station still exist though because it has been over 2 years.