Driving test

Posted by K1nS

Did you pass your driving test first time? What about your theory?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

passed both first time. the theory test was a joke, studied for it on the train there.

got really ****ing lucky on my driving test though. only committed four minor mistakes - going to slow on the motorway, stalling twice and being inaccurate in my reverse parking

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

I passed both on the first try. I don't see how anyone could fail the written test. I think I only had one tiny, minor flaw on my driven. I turned on my signal to pass a parked car but didn't turn it back on when returning to my lane.

Posted by mis0

Passed both with an A on the first try. They were incredibly easy, and I was only marked down on my practical for cornering "too fast".

Posted by Slade

I passed theory the first time, and got an 88 on the driving test (80 is the lowest passing score). Pretty sure I did poorly backing around a corner, didn't stop twice for any streets that had sidewalks, and didn't parallel park very well. She also mentioned how I wasn't careful enough coming out of a hidden street and she thought we were going to get hit. After she listed all that stuff I was surprised I managed to pass. OH WELL :cool: I was driving a Ford Explorer.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Not sure how people fail. Before the driving test there's a mandatory, what, ten hours in-car time with an instructor? After that you should be more than able to pass.

Though I guessed my way through the written test. Didn't really study and got really lucky.

Posted by Iris

Got a 96 on the written and passed the driving. Parking was impeccable, but I ran into an issue on the driving. Road switched real quick from 45 mph to 30 mph despite no change in terrain, traffic, or surroundings. The instructor realized that and didn't mind that I sped.

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Not sure how people fail. Before the driving test there's a mandatory, what, ten hours in-car time with an instructor? After that you should be more than able to pass.

True, but I think the testers have a failing quota they have to meet. Sure seems like it.

Posted by Kutlass

i can't seem to recall ever studying any hypotheses about driving, much less theories.

also, i learned to drive on a standard and used an automatic to take the test, which didn't involve cones or parallel parking or anything, just a cruise around the country neighborhood. pretty hard to fail.

Quoted post: True, but I think the testers have a failing quota they have to meet. Sure seems like it.

Doubtful... that really just makes no sense. Some are just hardasses that's all.

Posted by Ant

Failed my written and driving test first time. On the written I didn't study for it, failed by just one point. On the second try I only missed one. Then on the driving test it's a well known fact the testers here are very strict and almost everybody I've asked about how their first test went failed. With that said, I got knocked off for things like not honking my horn at someguy or making a "dangerous" lane change when he gives me very short notice to make a left at the light. Luckily I took my next test in The Valley which is a lot busier and a lot more lenient. Still got marked for some stuff, but still passed easily.

Posted by NES Queen

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Not sure how people fail. Before the driving test there's a mandatory, what, ten hours in-car time with an instructor? After that you should be more than able to pass.

That might just be a Canada thing, I don't recall any mandatory instructor time. You get your permit, you practice with mom/dad whenever they let you, then when you turn the proper age you go take your test. I failed my first time for cornering too sharp and driving too fast. D'oh!

Oh, huh. The whole mandatory time with instructor thing makes a lot of sense, so I figured it would've been a north american thing.

Posted by Ant

I hope you weren't including Mexico in that equation. I'd really have to start seriously questioning your intelligence.

mexico never counts.

Posted by NES Queen

I think you can take a drivers education course so that you can get your license a year earlier at 16, but even then i think you're only allowed to drive to school or work. Without the course you have to wait till 17 I believe and then you have no restrictions. I think at least, gosh its been 13 years since I took the test, very scary thought.

Never heard of this waiting until your 17 thing. Must've changed since you took it. Or just completely different here, whatever.

I don't know about back then, but they have some graduated license thing now. I got in two days before it started, thank ***. And yeah, I had to have a certain amount of hours with the instructor before I could take the test. It was all done through my school.