Gaming Backlog

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]I thought about this while listening to the 1up podcast. It's a great way to dig up old games we have or haven't played and engage in conversation. We all have games that we missed out on but thought about playing or games that we played before and considered having another go at it. This would enable us to do that but as a group and at the same time discuss what we think of the specific game years after the first time we played it or our first impression of a game we've never played.

It's a neat idea but also kind of tricky and would require some commitment from those involved. At first we would all have to agree on which game to play, we could have a vote. After that it'd be everyone's responsibility to acquire the chosen game and start playing it at our own pace, without a time limit, as long as we post our opinions and impressions as we play. Spoilers would be marked in case some of us haven't played the game before and we'd all have to post continuously to let everyone else know our opinions and how far along we are. Then eventually once all of us (or most of us) finish it we could discuss the game in full detail

Here's a good example: Shadow of the Colossus was very well received by critics but didn't really have the blockbuster sales that other game have. For that reason some of us have played it and loved it, while others have definitely heard about it but never played it. It's a game that's not that hard to find in stores for cheap, therefore a great option for everyone involved, even those on a budget.

That's just one example, there are countless of other games to consider, as long as we all agree on it first. Just throwing it out there, as i thought it was a neat idea.[/COLOR]

Posted by Ant

[url]www.backloggery.com[/url]

Posted by Speedfreak

Already have Shadow of the Colossus :(

I just started playing Dead Rising and I'm going to be playing Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter over Christmas...

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]Shadow of the Colossus was just an example. And even if you have played it before, the point is whether you'd want to replay it to see how it holds up after the years.

Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter is a nice suggestion, I haven't played the series since III and it's only about $7.00 at my local Gamestop so i have been looking to pick it up eventually. But this would workbetter if more people participated.

Other suggestions:

-The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
-Resident Evil
-Fable
-Star Wars: KotOR
-Metroid Prime
-Chrono Trigger
-Metal Gear Solid [/COLOR]

Posted by Speedfreak

How about Metal Gear Solid 3? I'm getting that too.

Breath of Fire V is completely different to the rest of the series. It really should be considered a standalone game of an entirely seperate genre. If you play it expecting an RPG you'll be ****ed off at the length.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]Metal Gear Solid 3 is a great idea! I'd be down for that, as long as more people join.[/COLOR]

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

I'm totally down for this. I have piles of I games I've bought but never played them much.

Posted by Speedfreak

WELL WE DECIDED METAL GEAR SOLID 3 SO YOU HAVE TO DO THAT.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

we should replay banjo-kazooie

i can give everyone on XBL a free code

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

fyi the game holds up really ****in well

Quoting Speedfreak: WELL WE DECIDED METAL GEAR SOLID 3 SO YOU HAVE TO DO THAT.

But I haven't played the first two. :(

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]Don't worry Angelwing, we haven't really decided on one yet, and you definitely should play 1 and 2 first. Maybe we could play the original or the GC remake.

Although, i really like X's pick of Banjo-Kazooie from Xbox Live Arcade since i never got to play it. So a first timer's perspective would be great.[/COLOR]

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

people who don't finish the games that they buy are scrubs

Posted by Big Boss

This is a really cool idea. I'll probably take the longest to beat the game, as I'm also playing other games for fun (I'm addicted to Fallout 3 right now. Addicted.) and research (which will later include Shadow of the Colossus).

I like the Metal Gear Solid 3 pick. I got back to it before MGS4 came out, but didn't have time to keep playing it, and it eventually got pushed aside for games I hadn't played or finished.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]Awesome! I've also been thinking about replaying Snake Eater before i start MGS4 (no, i haven't played it yet "gasp").

Angelwing, you might wanna consider playing MGS3 along with us as well. It's a prequel to 1, 2 and 4 so you won't actually be missing out or be spoiled in any way. In fact, it might actually be a good idea to start with 3 before you play the rest of the games in the series, since you'll be playing in chronological order.

Anyone else interested to get in on this?[/COLOR]

Posted by Alastor

Quoting Ant: [url]www.backloggery.com[/url]

This. Seriously.

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Alastor: This. Seriously.

Sounds like it's different from that, kohai, as in we'd be playing games together as a group and talking about it - the only reason it's called backlog is because we'd be doing it with more classic games rather than new ones, since it's not like we need motivation to play and talk about new ones. So, kinda like a book club, but with vidja.

I like the idea, but I'll probably be quite the selective participant. **** knows what I'm in the mood to play at any given time and I doubt I'll really be interested in replaying the game on the table - for instance, I don't really want to replay MGS3 right now since I think I replayed it less than a year ago. So, cool, I say go for it, but I'll probably be sitting out a lot.

Posted by Alastor

Still. Place needs some exposure.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=The X;906117]fyi the game holds up really ****in well

No it f[COLOR=lightgreen]u[/COLOR]cking doesn't, Jesus. You have the thickest rose-tinted spectacles ever.

EDIT: Actually can we do another game first? I won't actually get the game until Christmas Day.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Linko_16: I like the idea, but I'll probably be quite the selective participant. **** knows what I'm in the mood to play at any given time and I doubt I'll really be interested in replaying the game on the table - for instance, I don't really want to replay MGS3 right now since I think I replayed it less than a year ago. So, cool, I say go for it, but I'll probably be sitting out a lot.

[COLOR="Yellow"]You can still contribute to the conversation if you've already played the game, the more people the better. But the real fun will come from playing along as well. And throw some ideas out there for games that you would be interested in playing.[/COLOR]

Quoting Speedfreak: EDIT: Actually can we do another game first? I won't actually get the game until Christmas Day.

[COLOR="Yellow"]That depends on everyone else. It's fine with me, in fact I'd prefer to start this thing off with my original nomination of playing Shadow of the Colossus first since Big Boss also mentioned interest in replaying it. It's not that long and we might all be able to finish it in a month's time, even taking our time.[/COLOR]

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Aioros: [COLOR="Yellow"]That depends on everyone else. It's fine with me, in fact I'd prefer to start this thing off with my original nomination of playing Shadow of the Colossus first since Big Boss also mentioned interest in replaying it. It's not that long and we might all be able to finish it in a month's time, even taking our time.[/COLOR]

I'm all for it. I've only played up until the first colossus, and other games have always distracted me from playing it all the way through, I'm ashamed to admit.

Throwing another name down the hat, as I need an excuse to unwrap this old purchase, too:

G[color=yellowgreen]o
d Hand[/color]

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Speedfreak;906469]No it f[COLOR=lightgreen]u[/COLOR]cking doesn't, Jesus. You have the thickest rose-tinted spectacles ever.

EDIT: Actually can we do another game first? I won't actually get the game until Christmas Day.i beat it last night, scrub

thanks for playing

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Big Boss;906494][FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=yellowgreen]I'm all for it. I've only played up until the first colossus, and other games have always distracted me from playing it all the way through, I'm ashamed to admit.

Throwing another name down the hat, as I need an excuse to unwrap this old purchase, too:

G[COLOR=yellowgreen]o[/COLOR]d Hand[/COLOR][/FONT]

I had that still in the plastic wrap for well over a year. I finally unwrapped it about a month ago and it's stunning.

Also: how about Dead Rising? I only just started playing it so it'd be convenient. Shadow of the Colossus is fine too.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

dead rising isn't an old game

Posted by Speedfreak

2 years old is easily old enough to be in my backlog.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]Dude I am not touching Dead Rising. I've played it about 3 times already.[/COLOR]

Posted by Speedfreak

Well I'm playing it anyway! Guess I'll just join in when we get around to MGS3.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

speedfreak status: owned

Posted by coromoro

Okay, I wanna get a PS2 soon, so I'm in for MGS3 and Shadow of Colossus.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]Speedfreak so are you in for Shadow of the Colossus? What about you X?

And coromoro how long do you think til you get a PS2?[/COLOR]

Posted by coromoro

Well, I'm not sure yet, it might until Christmas. I'll just join in whenever I'm able to. Don't wait for me.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

this would probably work on a forum with more than 3 active posters

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]Is that a yes or a no?[/COLOR]

Posted by Speedfreak

3 people is enough for this to be interesting.

I'm down. I'll see if I can pick up Shadow of the Colossus this week. Might have to get it off ebay though, so that'll take close to two weeks. :P

Posted by Linko_16

I can replay Shadow of the Colossus. Not long, great game, and only played it once. I'm also down for *** Hand, I've heard great things about it and I haven't played it yet. I'll try to get it soon and wait until we play it together.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

I'm down for SotC. Wasn't a huge fan when I played it the first time, so maybe I'll enjoy it more after a few years.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]Then it's settled, we're playing Shadow of the Colossus. We can start a week from now, so that whoever doesn't have the game available yet has some time to acquire it by whatever means. It also gives us time if any of us are in the process of finish a game at the moment (I know I'm in the process of beating Gears 2 right now). There's no time limit to finish the game once we start, but based on this particular title I think we should all be done in a month's time.

I'll make a new thread for it when we start, and anyone else who hasn't posted can still feel free to join.[/COLOR]

jeez, now I gotta find all my PS2 games. Stored them away somewhere and all I have out are MGS3 and Okami.

Let's play Okami next.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]I only made it about 5 hours into Okami because of a busy schedule at the time and never finished it, so that's a da[COLOR="Yellow"]m[/COLOR]n good suggestion . But i'm leaning more towards G[COLOR="Yellow"]o[/COLOR]d Hand since i never played it and heard both positive and negative comments about it from multiple sources.

We can worry about that once we're done with Shadow. Hopefully this goes well and we can make it a regular thing.[/COLOR]

Lent my copy of *** hand shortly after completing it and never got it back. So if I get another copy I'm totally down for that.

hmm yeah I have a ton of games to play, I'll make a list of them later and see who's down for playing what.

Actually never played Chrono Trigger. Maybe do that sometime?

Posted by coromoro

Well, with the recent release of Chrono Trigger DS, it wouldn't really be a backlog. :o

And yeah, I'm definitely up for Okami. Not sure about Go[color=limegreen]d
Hand... don't really know what it is.[/color]

It's still not the same :mad:

Posted by coromoro

:p:

Well, I'd kinda rather play the DS version. :cool:

Fine, be that way. You're playing SotC though, right?

Posted by coromoro

Once I get my PS2, yeah! :cool:

Posted by Linko_16

Hm, I'm not sure if I would be up for Okami if we did that next. It's a nice long game and it was just earlier this year (I think?) that I first beat it. I'll see how I feel when we get there.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

i'd be up for okami - would give me an excuse to finally get it for the wii.

K I just picked up SotC. Probably get started on Sunday.

Quoting coromoro: Once I get my PS2, yeah! :cool:

Better get it soon! Actually, nvm it'll probably take me awhile to get through it.

Posted by coromoro

Okay, I should have it in approximately two weeks. Meanwhile I'll be hunting for sweet games like Okami, MGS3 and SotC. :cool: