Question

Posted by The_Essence_Vortex

I recently borrowed Tekken 5 from my girlfriend and for some reason it won't work. Apparently, none of my games work right now. I tried them on other PS2s that my friends have and they work. So, I'm wondering this: can you use a CD cleaner disc (the discs with the brushes on them) in the PS2? I think the main problem is that it's too dusty. If I can't use it, should I just pitch out my old PS2 and get a new one?

Posted by Lethal Shadow

Hmm, depends on which one you get. Some only have a brush on track 3, so that would not do any good. I would suggest just taking compressed air can and blowing air into the machine.

Quoting Lethal Shadow: Hmm, depends on which one you get. Some only have a brush on track 3, so that would not do any good. I would suggest just taking compressed air can and blowing air into the machine.

I think it's mainly the laser thing (whatever it's called) that's dusty. Will the can get rid of that dust as well?

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Well, you could always put a bit of rubbing alcohol onto a cloth and gently swab it onto the glass where the laser shows through. Just be careful.

Posted by Crazy K

Well you cant use a disc cleaner. You would have to take apart your PS2 to get to the lasor eye. What you do is get a cutip. I did not use rubbing alcohol and it worked like the day I got it on christmas day. First try rubbing it with a cutip and then put it together (No need to put screws back in first) then try it out. If it does not work then try rubbing alcohol.

If that does not work then it could be your system. Maybe its too dirty inside or whatever. Possibly the best Idea is to get a vacume and clean the vents out (Not the inside of the PS2 just the vents when the hole ps2 is back together.)

But I hope I was some help to ya.

Quoting Crazy K: Well you cant use a disc cleaner. You would have to take apart your PS2 to get to the lasor eye. What you do is get a cutip. I did not use rubbing alcohol and it worked like the day I got it on christmas day. First try rubbing it with a cutip and then put it together (No need to put screws back in first) then try it out. If it does not work then try rubbing alcohol.

If that does not work then it could be your system. Maybe its too dirty inside or whatever. Possibly the best Idea is to get a vacume and clean the vents out (Not the inside of the PS2 just the vents when the hole ps2 is back together.)

But I hope I was some help to ya.

My parents are thinking about just pitching my old one and getting a new one. But, first, we have to try getting a compressed air thing and using that on it.

Are there any sites on how to take apart the PS2?

Posted by Random

I'm not exactly sure but it's awesome to have a girlfriend who plays games too ^_^

Lucky guy... haha

Mine wants me to get rid of my game collection :(

Posted by Lethal Shadow

Quoting SomebodyRandom: I'm not exactly sure but it's awesome to have a girlfriend who plays games too ^_^

Lucky guy... haha

Mine wants me to get rid of my game collection :(
Has nothing to do with helping him. Please stay on topic.

Is your system still under warranty because taking it apart will void the warranty? If not, this helped me fix my old one
http://www.cyber-mag.com/station/laserPS2.htm

Quoting Lethal Shadow: Has nothing to do with helping him. Please stay on topic.

Is your system still under warranty because taking it apart will void the warranty? If not, this helped me fix my old one
http://www.cyber-mag.com/station/laserPS2.htm

No, it's not under warranty anymore. I've had it around the second Christmas it came out.

Posted by Random

Honestly i'd probably either Trade it in or sell it on Ebay (which is your best bet). Then later on you can purchase a new PS2. Problem solved. You'll have to spend some money yes, but it'd be nice to have a brand new one anyways right?

Posted by Crazy K

Actually go to G4Techtv.com or whatever the hell it is. And Look for the report on how to fix the disc read error.

wate never mind i got it saved on my comp and I will put it down right here.

What you need
Part 1 or Page 1:

Before attempting the fix described below, read through this guide completely in order to familiarize yourself with the steps involved. Once that is done, gather the following items.
Standard Phillips screwdriver
#0 Phillips screwdriver (or eyeglass-sized)
Cotton swabs
Isopropyl rubbing alcohol
Felt-tip pen or marker

Optional cleaning tools.
Vacuum
Can of compressed air

PS2 Tip No. 1: It's best to use a vacuum for cleaning the dust from electronic devices. Wiping the surface or dusting with compressed air may force contaminants inside of the device, making things worse.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Part 2 or Page 2:

Screws and stickers

Before you do anything, disconnect the PS2's power and video connections. On the bottom of the PS2 are 10 square-shaped screw covers. Four of these double as rubber feet for the PS2 (when the device is laying flat.) Remove these covers to access and remove the screws. Some of the screws will be longer/shorter than the others so keep track of what goes where.

Removing the case

Once you've removed the screws, it's time to break the seal and completely void whatever warranty you may have had. Seriously, there is a "warranty seal" sticker near the PS2's power connector that must be removed in order to gain entrance to the innards of the beast.

With the screws removed and the warranty sticker "void," gently turn the PS2 right side up. Carefully remove the top cover by lifting the back edge and pulling it toward the front of the unit until it clears the controller jacks as well as the front of the disc tray.

You'll notice a metallic ribbon or white wires (depending on your PS2's age) connecting the main base to the eject/play buttons on the top cover. Remove the tape that normally holds this wire in place and set the top cover off to the side. Don't try to disconnect the ribbon/wires. There should be enough slack for the cover to lie off to the side.

Before moving on to the disc tray cover, now is a good time to blow out the dust that has collected around the fan and main circuit board. A can of compressed air will do the job nicely.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Part 3 or Page 3:
With the PS2 splayed open, the disc tray cover removed, and the unit plugged in, eject the disc tray.

Toward the back of the PS2, behind the laser, is a white gear about 0.75-inches in diameter. This gear adjusts the distance between the disc surface and the laser's eye. It's also the key to fixing a PS2 that frequently suffers from disc read errors (DREs.) On the left side of the white gear will be a notched metal tab or a smaller brass-colored gear.

Use a felt-tip pen to mark the white gear at the point it contacts the tab/smaller gear. This provides a reference point for the original position of the gear as we prepare to make our adjustment(s). Now would be a good time to gently clean the laser's eye using a cotton swab dampened with a bit of rubbing alcohol.

Adjusting the gear position in order to fix DREs involves the following steps.
Turn the white gear a notch or two (clockwise or counterclockwise)
Replace disc cover (holding it in place with your hand)
Insert a DVD
If it works, insert a purple game disc
If it works, insert an audio CD
If all threework, you are finished.

If any of the disc types fail to be read follow these steps.
Eject the disc
Remove the disc tray cover
Move the gear a notch or two (perhaps in the other direction)
Replace disc cover (holding it in place with your hand)
Retest until all three disc types are properly detected

Once you have correctly positioned the gear and all disc types are reading properly, reassemble your PS2 and get gaming!
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Part 4 or Page 4:
This guide describes how to adjust the distance between the disc surface and laser pickup. I have read reports of DREs being caused by improper laser voltage levels, and this fix will do nothing for that type of problem. DREs caused by an incorrect gap between the laser and disc appear more common with early PS2 units, as they used a small spinning gear as the stop rather than the notched tab found in later models.

Also, this fix will not remedy a disc-specific playback problem. My PS2 was among the first batch released in the United States, and I have since "upgraded" it with Sony'sPlayStation 2DVD remote that includes the V2.10DVD software. I've noticed numerous playback issues have disappeared since applying this software upgrade.

If your PS2 doubles as your primaryDVD player, Sony's remote/software is worth the $15 to $20. Unfortunately, it requires a sacrifice of just over 2MB on a memory card in order to store the update.

Your best bet is to Just clean the Laser on the PS2. I just used a cotton swab thing and it worked. But you could use Rubbing alcohol if that dont work.