TV is slowly becoming stupid

Posted by The_Essence_Vortex

This has sorta been addressed in the "cartoons now retarded" thread, but I want to talk about TV in general, not just cartoons.

First off: reality TV. These kind of shows are crap. With Fox spewing out reality shows every few weeks, these kind of shows (which started out as an okay idea) have crashed and burned into stupidity. The only reality TV show I like at the moment is COPS, and many people don't recognize COPS as a reality show. I pray for the eventual demise of these shows.

Second: the news. The news itself is not stupid. It's just now becoming very depressive. I think the news has, without a doubt, kept America (and maybe the rest of the world, I don't know, I don't live in other countries) in a state of disarray. The news focuses far too much on the bad things happening, only briefly noting the good things. I think it's getting out of hand.

Last: MTV. Yes, I do know that this issue has been addressed many times, but I'm going to note it anyway. All they show now is Real World, Road Rules, or Real World vs. Road Rules. And Pimp My Ride. Other than that, there is nothing on. I think that they should go back to how it was originally: all music videos all day.

And that's all I can think of. Add more if you think of any.

Posted by Jak Pattinson

i thought mtv showed spongebob squarepants too.

tv is becoming a little more stupid though. the only shows im interested in are shows that have been on air since 2003 and before. newer, more modern shows are boring and unfunny. all the so called comedies are really uncomedy-like. i hardly ever get a laugh out of them anymore. even the simpsons has lost my attention.

Quoting Jak Pattinson: i thought mtv showed spongebob squarepants too.

tv is becoming a little more stupid though. the only shows im interested in are shows that have been on air since 2003 and before. newer, more modern shows are boring and unfunny. all the so called comedies are really uncomedy-like. i hardly ever get a laugh out of them anymore. even the simpsons has lost my attention.

No, Nickelodeon shows Spongebob. MTV could show it as well, but I wouldn't know.

And how can the Simpsons lose your attention? I think it's gotten better over the years.

Posted by bazariah

the media focus on what becomes popular a year or two prior, hence reality shows were quite big a couple years back so they show more now, it's cool though because it means the fad is near the end of it's life...

when jackass was popular in 2001 it was already a year old, then mtv decided to ram it down our throats and the show died

if a show was to become popular today you are almost garunteed a certanty of it being played or even copied to death within the next two years, it's just the way media works

Posted by Boner

I'll keep this short...

Reality TV: There is nothing real about it.

The news: The world has always sucked. You will get used to it.

MTV: It's been dead since the late 80's

In conclusion: I concur with your ramblings.

Quoting Opeth: I'll keep this short...

Reality TV: There is nothing real about it.

The news: The world has always sucked. You will get used to it.

MTV: It's been dead since the late 80's

In conclusion: I concur with your ramblings.

1: Nope, not a real thing about it.

2: Yep. I learned that a long time ago. I just like to pretend it doesn't.

3: Once again, yep.

So, I guess we're on the same page.

Posted by Axis

I only watch the Discovery Channels, at least those channels stay interesting, History Channel too. Eveything else, sucks.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

history channel

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Quoting The_Essence_Vortex:
And how can the Simpsons lose your attention? I think it's gotten better over the years.

You can't possibly tell me that you enjoy watching the newer Simpson episodes than the older ones.

The amount of effort put into tv shows, movies etc. has gone downhill. Of course, not everything is horrendous, but lately, all companies care about is releasing something quickly and hoping to get rich off of it in the least amount of time possible.

Quoting Dyers Eve: I only watch the Discovery Channels, at least those channels stay interesting, History Channel too. Eveything else, sucks.

Yeah, same here. I watch Simpsons and Family Guy when they're on, though.

Quoting Angelwing: You can't possibly tell me that you enjoy watching the newer Simpson episodes than the older ones.

Yes, I can. I still think it's funny. However, I see that it's starting to go slightly downhill. Hopefully Family Guy will take it's place.

Posted by Mystic Hero

Quoting Dyers Eve: I only watch the Discovery Channels, at least those channels stay interesting, History Channel too. Eveything else, sucks.

I have to agree with that. Discovery, Scince, and History channel is where they show they good stuff. Reality TV is just beign over done. I swear I think they go to extremes in order to get people to watch. Lets look at those Bachelor shows for a minute. Does anyone really care who they merry? No. It's just one big pablicity stunt to get people to watch. Soon after they get merried they get divorced so the merrige doesn't even last for two seconds. It seems like they are just there for the money or whatever the hell they get for beign the chosen one. It's pure garbage. When they win they act so happy and when they lose they start to cry like little babies. These shows start to annoy me with all this shit. Now lets look at Fear Factor. This show down right sucks. You have these people that think they are so awesome at everything and do these crazy and outragous stunts for money. Here is the dumb part: they play for $50,000. Wow, $50,000. I could go on a game show and win twice as much without having to eat a single worm. The shows seems to feature more gross things than frightning things if you ask me. if it were up to me I would rename it Gross Factor. Reality TV today is too over rated. The networks are overdoing it to the point where no will want to watch it anymore. I could honestly say to almost everyone one of those shows: "who cares?" I honestly don't care if you win $100,000 or get merried to a guy or girl you think is hot. I don't even care if you can eat ten cokroaches. Reality TV makes me want to go over there and strangle the guys that air those shows, but that's just me.

Posted by Arczu

The Swan

...About the time reality TV was burning down a dark path.

I like the original reality shows. Survivor (to an extent) and The Amazing Race is good (trip around the world for a chance at $1,000,000 isn't so bad-- you get to travel lots). The Apprentice... well it's cool to see how some people do in business. But after these three shows, there isn't much to be found anymore.

I like TLC and those much ignored channels. I try to catch shows like Mythbusters when I can and some cool shows that shell out every once in awhile. But when ever a week day comes where the TVs drown our house in Soap Operas... it's bad. Then there's MTV, a former music channel now made into a craptastic reality-ish channel... makes me mad.

Cartoons... It's really hard to find one to like these days. Amongst the crap, a few manage to stand out, and I record those to watch later (because they always show them when they KNOW you won't be home to see them... or sleeping.)

Posted by Axis

Yeah, The Amazing Race is the only that's actually cool in my opinion. I think that show is a bargain considering that they pay for the stuff and you get to do all this cool stuff...well, most of the time.