Posted by Arcadios

WHO'S UP FOR SOME HORDE LATER TONIGHT?

Posted by Stalolin

i am too poor for gears 2

Posted by Klarth

HIJACK, THIS THREAD IS NOW ABOUT RED BULL COLA

ANY OF YOU COCKS TRIED THIS ****? IT'S THE BOMB

Posted by #061402

Hey, just give me a shout. I'm all game. But tell me a few minutes ahead before you start, 'cause I want to reboot the router before I play. That thing tends to **** up and kick me off. :(

Edit: Also, anyone found the collectibles on "Sinking Feeling"? I haven't found either one.. Arc, you might remember me running around on that level.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

mighta bought it if i didnt just buy a new xbox

consider yourselves x-less

Posted by Lord of Spam

this guy, what a faggot

Posted by cool gamer dad

i've been really stingy lately

so it's like, a 60% chance you'll be cats-less. bummer man, i'm really awesome.

Posted by #061402

Anyone tried Horde on River yet? Don't. Map sucks and pretty much means you'll be assaulted from all sides at all times. The team only made it to the ninth wave, then we all perished.

Posted by Arcadios

Best place is avalanche.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

why don't we play far cry 2

we can spend 20 minutes driving to our objective then spend 2 minutes killing someone then spend 20 minutes unlocking safehouses

Posted by #061402

Haven't tried that one yet. Probably will do that soon though.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

****, we're doing this tonight or something. So down. I've completed 1-20 and 40-49 I think.

Quoted post: Best place is avalanche.

Also, security and day 1. Day 1 because the stairs off to the side with only one access point so it's an awesome choke-point, plus there's an ammo crate right infront of it. Security because of the laser field surrounding the middle area. As long as you can keep it active you're golden. Plus, you get a mulcher or mortar in the centre too.

Posted by #061402

**** yeah, I'm all game. Everyone who wants in should say so before tonight.

DA Team will conquer all.

We'll start at whatever level is the lowest that someone needs and go all the way to 50.

But we're doing it on Normal. I tried level 50 on insane with four other people and we all died in less than twenty seconds.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

1. Shotgun battles have always been where individual skill takes precedence in Gears of War. I'm fine with the damage reduction the shotgun has been given in GoW2. Hell, I'm even fine with the slower rate of fire. But blindfiring has absolutely been destroyed. Supposedly, the bullets no longer come out of the middle of your screen, but instead come out "where the gun actually is", which translates to random shooting all over the place. Wallbouncing and blindfiring the shotgun are staples of Gears of War, and they're some of the few things that made the first game have any individual skill whatsoever. Blindfiring needs to be fixed, but we all know it won't.

2. The lancer and the hammerburst need to be buffed. The starting assault rifles should be able to down someone quickly, and yet, I'm finding myself emptying a full clip on a single target and not getting anything. I like that the game's power weapons have become even more powerful, but the starting weapons need to be buffed to compensate. A hammerburst should be able to drop someone in 2 seconds, period.

3. Obviously, chainsaw needs to be fixed. No need to elaborate on this one--the chainsaw should be dropped as soon as the player revving it is shot.

4. Smoke grenades are ridicolously overpowered. Not only is the blast radius too large but you can be chain stunned. This ain't no WoW we're professional gamers here.

5. Sticking grenades to walls is cheap and has no place in competitive play. It highly encourages camping and in many situations they can be put in places where the opposing player has no real chance of seeing them.

After thorough testing, I've made some significant modifications from v1 settings. Also, please note that the following maps have been ruled out from competitive play (in my opinion):

- Jacinto
- Stasis
- Ruins
- Avalanche
- Security
- Subway
- Day One
- Hail

GAMEPLAY SETTINGS
Gametype: Execution
Friendly Fire: ON
Round Time: 5 minutes
Rounds to Win: 5
Bleed out time: 15 seconds
Weapon Swaps: Custom (per map settings)
Starting Rifle: Hammerburst Only

GAMETYPE IMPRESSIONS:
King of the Hill
I really want this gametype to work. I think KOTH could be very interesting for competitive play and it would offer a little more variety in the GOW community. Execution is great and incredibly competitive, but if a respawn gametype could work too, that would just up the level of competitive play.

However, the biggest issue with all the respawn game modes is the way the spawn system works. You can only spawn at a start point and it alternates which spawn point you'll get. This can be a big issue with nade trapping. If KOTH would be picked up, there can be no nades of any type on the map for pick-up. Why? Because you can tag the start points and get instant death when your enemies respawn. Now with Friendly Fire on, this may be less viable of a tactic, but once people start to learn how to time the spawn system and predict where enemy teams will spawn, you'll see this massive barrage of grenades getting tossed into spawn points.

The other issue is spawn trapping. What prevents a team from having one guy take the hill and then locking down the closest spawn point, providing a guarantee of so many seconds with uncontested hill time.

Playtesting will reveal more, but my biggest issue is that we're not going to see extremely close games due to the ease of controlling a particular spawn point.

In addition, we'll have to be very careful about what power weapons go there for KOTH, as you don't want a boomshot spawning inside a hill as it allows the team that first gets the hill to control it better. I may even be in favor of NO weapons on map for KOTH to speed up the gameplay.

Submission
Submission is just not going to work for competitive play just like avalanche, hail, and security aren't competitive maps. Whenever you can be killed by something other than an opponent, the game becomes less skilled and promotes randomness. Submission, while incredibly entertaining to play for fun, just won't work for competitive play.

Conclusion:
Thoroughly looking forward to the confirmed settings MLG produces so some serious scrims can be arranged. Going to make a thread later on Epic's forums so devs like CliffyB can see and change their game appropriately.

It's clear that Epic caved in to us as GoW2 is far more competitive friendly than the original. I personally salute Cliff for trying to covert the mass market into more skillfull players.

Read this a couple days ago. Disagree with a lot of it.

Chainsaws are actually fun now and the lancer is more than powerful enough (just over 2/3 of a clip to down someone, remainder to kill them when down.) Only problem is you don't stop revving the chainsaw when shot. Takes a couple shotgun blasts to stop you, so you can usually run in chainsaw someone before they kill you. And the Hammerburst is pretty **** good, it's just no one uses it long enough to figure it out. They should realise it's not supposed to be used up close.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

i wanna stick grenades to walls

It's not as rampant as people make it out to be and they're like claymores. They're stuck in pretty obvious places. As for smokes, easy to avoid and everyone throws them away before they have a chance to stick them. And I think I've actually been killed all of twice while downed from a smoke. They're usually thrown a distance away and you get up before the guy is anywhere close.

Posted by Ant

I've only played blood drive and security on multi cause those are the only maps people ever ****ing pick.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

is there still a train level

Quoted post: I've only played blood drive and security on multi cause those are the only maps people ever ****ing pick.

Thankfully, matchmaking has solved that problem. Barely played at level more than a couple times.

Quoted post: is there still a train level

Hail

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

i listen to train ride to hell on the train into college sometimes, owns

Wait, Hail doesn't really have trains now that I think of it. Just train cars strewn about. But it has razorhail, and that **** is awesome.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[youtube=82gXMYxGc7M]82gXMYxGc7M[/youtube]

repost, but relevant

Man, I remember when me and cats would gang up on any kid we didn't like on our team. Once we all spawned we'd both focus on him until he quit. Usually our other teammate would try to help the kid out, but then next spawn I'd go after one and he'd go after the other.

Good times.

Posted by Arcadios

No one ever wants to ****ing play in Hail despite how awesome it is.

idk, both times it came up it was voted. But yeah, it's one of my favourites. I've always liked environmental hazards though.

Posted by #061402

So, whatever happened to Horde? We should pick a good level and decide on a strategy that we stick to from the beginning. Every time I play people go running off in different directions and getting killed.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

strategy: trade-in GoW2, buy banjo-kazooie

Posted by #061402

I'm sensing some anti-GoW from X. :(

Haha, banjo. ****ing terrible.

I'm still down for horde whenever.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

banjo: eat **** and die!!!

Seriously, the game looks mighty unappealing. Same collectathon as the first. Just with **** cars.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

*buys it anyway*

How long is it supposed to be?

Posted by Ant

60 hours

Posted by Arcadios

of nothing

Quoted post: 60 hours

I'll call bull****. I'm sure it's 60 hours to collect everything, and honestly, **** that ****.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

maybe if it was the start of the year again i'd do it but **** my agenda is too busy for COLLECTING EVERYTHING

Posted by #061402

It'll maybe be like that game for the DS. Promised 80 hours of gameplay, but I finished it in less than half that time.