Super Mario Bros 3 Help!

Posted by Proto Man

Alright it's not what you are thinking (lol I've beat this game into the ground).

I need help trying to distinguish two different versions of this game.

If anyone remembers, there are two different versions of SMB3 that circulate.

Version 1, when you beat it, you see world names such as Desert Hill, Ocean Side, Big Island etc...

Version 2 on the other hand has these worlds named Desert Land, Water Land, Giant Land, and everything else land.

According what I have read, "version 1" was the first shipped out to the US, and then later it was changed (don't know what year). There are some other differences, but what I have listed is the biggest one.

So just recently I bought SMB3 for SNES, and beat it the fast way just to see which version it was. It was "version 2". Now I want to try and find "version 1"

Does anyone know how to tell the difference between the two WITHOUT actually playing and beating the game? Like, is there any specific label differences? A model number? etc.... I hope there is... otherwise I am going to have a time of it trying to find "version 1" :(

Posted by Dexter

I wasn't even aware there were 2 versions.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Dexter: I wasn't even aware there were 2 versions.

Well obviously they aren't completely different versions, but just enough change that merits having both IMO.

Posted by Dexter

Now that's a seriously motivated collector. I believe I have version 2. Is version 1 rare at all? I've never seen.

Posted by Proto Man

UPDATE: Well I did a little more digging, and I think I may have figured it out! Now check this:

http://www.megatonnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/super-mario-bros3.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g197/bedtimebear423/NES_Games_I_Own/SS/SuperMarioBros3.jpg

Notice anything different there?

Quoting Dexter: Now that's a seriously motivated collector. I believe I have version 2. Is version 1 rare at all? I've never seen.

Well I think it might be just a tad harder to find, but not extremely rare. I looked on ebay, and I only found a couple of the ones with Bros on the left, while most had Bros on the right.

Now I am not POSITIVE, but I believe the one with Bros on the left is "version 1" I will actually have to buy a copy to make sure. As soon as I check, I will let you know.

Posted by Breakman

Umm, I thought it was the other way around. I thought the "Everything Land" was the first version and then it was changed to the 'more unique names' version which is more akin to the Japanese names for the worlds, if I'm not mistaken.

And I thought the one for SNES, in Mario All-Stars, had the 'unique' names like Sea Side etc., in ALL versions of that game. Or am I totally lost?

Posted by ZEN

[quote]Nintendo of America released two different American versions of this game. The following is a list of the changes made to the first version:

* The original Japanese world names, which were used originally were changed to the following:
* "Desert Hill" became "Desert Land".
* "Ocean Side" became "Water Land".
* "Big Island" became "Giant Land".
* "The Sky" became "Sky Land".
* "Iced Land" became "Ice Land".
* "Pipe Maze" became "Pipe Land".
* "Castle of Koopa" became "Dark Land".
* A grammatical error present in Toad's N-Spades game, "Miss twice and your out!" was corrected and changed to "You can only miss twice!" in order to fit the screen.
* "Kuribo", the original Japanese name for "Goomba" was changed to the latter in the World 2 letter from Princess Toadstool.
* The game was re-released with these changes made, and most copies of the game are of the second version.
From [url=http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0249174/alternateversions]IMDB[/url].

There is a possibility that Euro versions of the game differ from US versions as well.
I remember seeing screenshots of the first and second revisions of the game showing slightly altered map graphics. I'll post pics if I can get mine to work.

Posted by neofreak91

Quoting Dexter: I wasn't even aware there were 2 versions.

me 2 :eek: :eek:

Posted by LRTIMKEN

这是新加的空白文章1,可以在UBB可视化编辑器中,添加和修改文章内容。

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Breakman: Umm, I thought it was the other way around. I thought the "Everything Land" was the first version and then it was changed to the 'more unique names' version which is more akin to the Japanese names for the worlds, if I'm not mistaken.

And I thought the one for SNES, in Mario All-Stars, had the 'unique' names like Sea Side etc., in ALL versions of that game. Or am I totally lost?

No, as ZEN has pointed out, the first version has the unique names, second one had the "Land" names. It is odd though, because if my label theory correct, the second version would have the box that had the beta screens (ie. different first world map, and grassy flying turtles). You would think it would have been the other way around.

You are correct though about Super Mario All-Stars having the unique names.

Quoting ZEN: There is a possibility that Euro versions of the game differ from US versions as well.
I remember seeing screenshots of the first and second revisions of the game showing slightly altered map graphics. I'll post pics if I can get mine to work.

Hmm, interesting. I don't know about the Euro versions. Let us know what you find.

Quoting LRTIMKEN: 这是新加的空白文章1,可以在UBB可视化编辑器中,添加和修改文章内容。

lol sorry I don't speak Japanese.