Sci-fi Recommendations

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

I need more.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

The Foundation Trilogy

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

http://www.amazon.com/Terminal-Identity-Virtual-Subject-Postmodern/dp/0822313405

Terminal Identity: The Virtual Subject in Postmodern Science Fiction

It's what I'm reading now and it's pretty great. Not really a novel, but it's an interesting read. Follows electronic technology from the beginning and the author analysis nearly all instances of it in pretty much every medium, while going into theories about what he believes to be a crisis brought on by said technology. Towards the end he apparently sums it all up with a "novel" detailing codependency between technology and people. But I haven't got there yet.

Not sure if it's your thing, but it's a fascinating read if you sci-fi interests you.

Sounds interesting, I'll try it out.

Didn't like the Foundation trilogy. Couldn't get through the first book.

Any more?

Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut if you haven't read it yet. Pretty much a classic. Not really sure what else you've read in the genre, so I'll refrain from listing anything more obvious.

Posted by David M. Awesome

Doctor Who.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Ender's Game and all of its sequels.

Posted by Klarth

Otherland series by Tad Williams.
Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson.
Pushing Ice and Century Rain by Alastair Reynolds.
Any of Iain M. Banks' Culture novels. I recommend Excession and The Player of Games in particular.

Awesome, I'll check these all out. I'm actually just about finished with Snow Crash. Really enjoying it.

I've read everything by Crichton. I have a small stack of Philip K. Dick that I need to start on. I haven't read a terrible amount in this genre so you can pretty much suggest anything.

Posted by Klarth

[quote]I'm actually just about finished with Snow Crash. Really enjoying it.
Great. One of my favourite cyberpunk novels. Haven't read it since I was eleven or so; should really give it a second look someday...

Oh wow, that's a long time ago. Yeah, I saw you mention it before so I'm like hey, my library has it wooo. Definitely diggin his writing style.

Quoted post: I've read everything by Crichton.

Sucks pretty hard he died. He had at least half a dozen good books still left in him. WHY DO ALL THE GOOD AUTHORS DIE?!

When I first read he died I didn't believe it. So I hopped on good ol WIKIPEDIA and crying commenced. life isn't worth living

Posted by Richaod

Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons. Incredible SF with a huge emotional pull... in particular the frame story of Sol and Rachel Weintraub is just heartbreaking (similar to Benjamin Button but probably far better executed).

Bumping this mother****er because I forgot something. Stanley G Weinbaum is a must read when it comes to sci-fi. I'd recommend the Interplanetary Odysseys as a starter since it contains his most well known stories. Plus, it was all written before 1930 and it's scientifically accurate for that time period. Which means it's surprisingly charming in its ignorance. For example the first few stories revolve around an adventure on Mars where there's flowing water, numerous alien lifeforms and the humans of the story are able to walk around unprotected on the surface. Also, humans have colonized parts of Venus, which happens to be jungle.

But you also get some of the more interesting aliens and lifeforms in all of sci-fi from these stories. It's a very unique and unhuman-like take on the whole thing, definitely worth the read.

Plus, the book I mentioned keeps all the spelling and grammar errors of the original stories, which is always nice.

sweet, I'll check it out

Posted by misogenie

Sometime between 1980 and 1990 I bought and read the paperback book ALIEN by Alan Dean Foster. I was so interested in reading the book after I saw ALIEN first time on cinema that time. The front cover showing the alien egg with a ray of light through the crack made me wanted to know more about this skeleton lizard with acid for blood, a very advanced animal that seems unextinctable. Words that I did not understand from the book, I just guessed my own meanings to fit the sentence. I never used the dictionary to find their meanings because it would interupt my movie-like imagination. Knowing the crew is knowing their faces from the movie when it comes to finding out who is speaking. Alien is still a mystery of evil evolution and it might shock us if science is secretly working on bringing it to life.
Right now watching DVD scifi movies has made my reading books extinct.

:cool::o

Posted by Pikamon

Ender's Game (and the rest of the series) is by far the most interesting sci-fi book I've ever read. It should be recommended reading for everyone interested in science fiction.

Posted by Near

Dune? I am assuming you have already read them all, or tried to read some and just did not like them?