Rays for World Series 08

Posted by TimeSkipz

Lets go RAYS!

Posted by Corrupt

Definitely. As much as I like and respect Boston, I would really prefer if they'd hold off their fabled Houdini act for another year and give the Rays a chance to make something of themselves in the fall classic. A solid decade of being perpetual cell dwellers in the AL East is something I'm sure they'd like to forget about (though I'm not so sure if the rest of MLB will be so quick to let go of that), and god damn do they have some great young talent to go the distance with. Shields was able to get himself out of so many tricky situations and stranded something like twelve men on base while only giving up two runs. Despite him showing flashes of his Game 1 self in the sixth inning, Varitek's first fucking hit of the series, a home run, promptly sent the forward momentum right back in Shields's face. Then it was up to Howell and Grant "Ball Four" Balfour to surrender the next two runs that would inevitably wind up forcing a game 7, what with Papelbon on the mound. (that man is a fucking monster) Though I don't think it was so much Howell's fault as it was Longoria's, who's oh-so-timely throwing error prolonged the inning. At least they get to play Game 7 at home, though.

Let's go, Rays. Show 'em what you're made of. Going against Lester and his golden postseason record is going to be a bitch, but I'm confident Garza can step up and get the job done. At any rate, we'll see!

Posted by Ant

rays for gays 08!

Posted by Corrupt

Quoting Ant: rays for gays 08!

nice.

p.s. you know what felt really good? Watching the Phillies kick the shit out of the Dodgers. :)

Posted by Kutlass

there was nothing I wanted to see more than the Phillies take the series from the Dodgers in L.A. i hate the dodgers, i hate dodger fans, and i hate almost everything about L.A., so that was very satisfying. i was never much of a phils fan, but i'm at least neutral about them.

i'm virtually certain the sox will win the ALCS. they've got the momentum and the magic. earlier today i was just thinking, "it would great to see the sox take game 7." i'm feeling a bit differently now though, and have decided it would be more of a thrill to see the Rays win, and it would be better for baseball overall. After the stankees' infamously long streak of championships, who needs another dynasty? and unlike the 2003 florida marlins who basically bought themselves a WS championship by throwing together a squad of overpaid veteran superstars for one season, the Rays are constructed of a bunch of young, relatively obscure players performing their hearts out, and they've been defying expectations all year.

p.s. i laughed that the yankees didn't even make it to the postseason this year.

Posted by Al Borland

I'm curious why you would think that the Marlins "bought" the 2003 World Series. Beckett,Burnett,Pavano,Penny, and Willis all came out of Florida's farm system! In fact, the only key player they "bought" was Pudge, as Pierre was traded for. The 2003 Marlins team is actually very similar to the 2008 Rays.

Posted by TimeSkipz

RAYS WIN!!! WORLD SERIES BOUND!

Posted by Corrupt

I was not able to watch the game today (pretty pissed), but I'm thrilled with the end result. Time to go watch video clips on mlb.com like there's no tomorrow.

Amazin' Rays 08

Edit: I bet Iwamura felt as if he could fly away after he made the final out by stomping second base

Posted by Linkman

I hope the Phillies sweep their asses.

Posted by TimeSkipz

[quote=Corrupt;893381]Edit: I bet Iwamura felt as if he could fly away after he made the final out by stomping second base

I don't know how they could stand out there, I was just watching and my knees were buckling. Garza had a great night, I'm hoping this team is a contender for a long time coming.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Quoting Linkman: I hope the Phillies sweep their asses.

I concur

Posted by TimeSkipz

[quote=Bj Blaskowitz;893927]I concur

Phillies got nothing, the NL is a joke. I give hamels props but thats it. Rays have talent on every inch of the field, even the ball girls amazing!

Posted by RPGMistress

Unfortunately the Rays lost the 1st game of the WS...

however, I still have faith in them...

GO RAYS GO!!! WOOT!

Posted by Kutlass

They lost because they had to face Cole Hamels. I'm looking forward to watching them murder the rest of the Phillies starters.

Posted by TimeSkipz

Yeah, game 2 goes to the Rays, I think that if they win game 3 they'll have too much momentum to be stopped considering they're so young.

Posted by Kutlass

I'm interested to see how they will do playing away from their own climate-controlled little dome, outside in the chilly northeast where they may have to deal with some cold rain and most certainly thousands of raucous drunken Phillies fans notorious for their booing. i actually think the atmosphere in Philadelphia is going to be considerably more exciting.

Posted by Corrupt

Come on Rays, you've gotten this far. Here's hoping you bottled some of the magic that the Red Sox use for their outrageous postseason comebacks. Going back to Tampa tomorrow, you guys can do this.

edit: wait no they're not going back to tampa and they got rained out haha what the **** is wrong with me

Posted by Proto Man

Go Phillies go!

Yeah I was disappointed that the game last night was rained out. :( What an exciting place to pick up though, bottom of the 6th with the game tied! Phillies really need to pick it up though. They have had too many chances with the bases loaded. Cole Hamels though... just amazing!

Posted by Lord of Spam

Im from tampa, and i couldnt give a **** less. theyve sucked for far too long for me to care.

Posted by Proto Man

Aww.... it's still suspended. :( Maybe it will resume tomorrow.

I have to say though, the weather here is pretty nasty. It's cold, wet etc... Up in the Poconos there is about a foot of snow. Where I am at though (in Reading), it is just wet and cold.

Posted by Corrupt

Sounds like some nice weather!

Posted by Kutlass

i was quite impressed with b.j. upton's stolen base in the top of the 6th. those were terrible conditions to be attempting to steal a base in, much less actually succeeding. he got a tremendous jump, though. and that's what set up pena's RBI single and evened up the score just before they had to call the game. one of the biggest plays in the series.

it's going to feel a little strange waiting two days to play for only three and a half innings, though.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Quoting TimeSkipz: Phillies got nothing, the NL is a joke. I give hamels props but thats it. Rays have talent on every inch of the field, even the ball girls amazing!

just bumping this so tonight I can mock it mercilessly

Posted by Proto Man

w00t! 9TH INNING WITH LIGHTS 0UT LIDGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Linkman

hahaha

gj Phillies

Posted by Proto Man

YES!!!! THAT WAS AWESOME!!!!!! WOOO HOOO!!!!!!!!!!

THAT'S OUR PHILLIES!!!!!!!

Posted by Corrupt

Hey, I'd much rather have the Phillies win instead of the ****ing Dodgers. I actually do hold respect for the Phils, I just would've preferred if they had clinched it against a team like the Yankees. Either way, good for them. I'm just sorry to hear about the Rays, though I think that this season has showed them that they can get this far, and that hopefully this wasn't their "one-hit wonder" season (though I'm sure plenty of people are eager to dismiss it as such). We'll see what happens next year!

And now, let the trade talks commence! I'm hoping for the Padres to deal Peavy so they can stock up on some good, major league-ready young talent, as they are in dire need of it. So far it seems that the Braves and (dare I say) the Dodgers are the front-runners in the trade talks, and from what I have seen, both have offered enticing packages.

p.s. blah blah blah yeah no one probably gives a **** padres suck (no really, they do, but i'm trying to remain optimistic)

Posted by Kutlass

pretty boring conclusion to a boring series.