Anybody good with Mathematical Acoustics?

Posted by E

I know this entry will perhaps seem a little bizarre for the War Board, but I suppose it is a debate of some sort, so alas! Moving along.

So I have this little conundrum I'm trying to sort out concerning a certain feature of the mathematical acoustics of a flute and how it could affect a flute's tuning [based of course on a chromatic scale]. By all logic, a flute renders the same affect as blowing in to the open end of a length of pipe, producing a note relative to other pieces of pipe with a similar diametre and varying lengths. But what I can't figure out for the life of me is whether or not the flute's natural note is produced based on the length from the Embouchure [mouth port] to the tail, or from the head piece to the tail.

A diagram is in order.

==================================================
|XX| O
==================================================

|XX|: Head Piece/Stopper
O: Embouchure/Mouth Port

Okay, so, from what I can piece together, at this point, the flute is at it's natural pitch based upon the volume of the resonance chamber. In order to tune it, therefore, I figure you divide the length of the chamber by 12, or the number of halves in a chromatic octave, leaving an opening fingering to produce a note one octave higher than the instrument's natural pitch.

And that's the rub! Should I consider the whole volume of the instrument in my division, measuring from the stopper to the end of the flute? Should I measure from the embouchure to the end of the flute because the embouchure acts as a resonator, hence the initial point of sound production? Or, even, should I consider the distance between the Embouchure and Stopper, multiplying that number by two to be taken away from the length of the flute [as I believe this might account for equality in the entrance of air at the embouchure]?

I figured it'd be a bizarre question, but considering my mathematical skills are crap [and acoustic mathematics to boot], I assumed there would be enough like minded people - bored and looking for any meagre source of entertainment - who could help me theorize on this.

Response much appreciated.

Posted by O.T.L

Lurk much?

Posted by E

Lurk? Dunno what that means.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

not doing your homework for you buddy

Posted by O.T.L

You should try Yahoo answers.

Posted by Klarth

You will not get much help on a video game board populated by retarded pseudoadolescents like OTL

Posted by O.T.L

You won't get help from Netman, cuz he's just a dick.

Posted by coromoro

Hahaha, your post made me laugh, O.T.L.

Anyways... you are better off asking somewhere else. Why do you want to know anyways? I think it would be measured from the head piece to the tail, because otherwise, what purpose would the head piece serve?