Underappreciated Gems

Posted by Speedfreak

OKay, I'm thinking about getting a PS2 but I can't think of many games to get along with it, now this is mainly because I only hear about the big PS2 titles and none of them really mean that much to me, so I was hoping that some people here could suggest some of the less well known games on the system that are really quite good. The PS2 equivalent of Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini, say. I'm determined to find some good games on it and I'm pretty sure I'll have more luck looking for games I haven't heard of.

Posted by captain caveman

you should try amplitude. Fun game. Ico is also a good game. It's an adventure/puzzle game with some real perty graphics

you should also try going to a review site like ign to find some ps2 titles that may interest you

Posted by The_Essence_Vortex

Skullmonkeys. I know it's PS1, but it's still one of my favorite games to date.

Posted by Crazy K

Well if you are getting a PS2 and your thinking about getting a Grand Theft Auto Game I suggest Grand Theft Auto 3, its by far the best one out of the hole series, Ive gotten so tired of the series and this one is by far the most challenging GTA game. SA and VC have nothing against it.

if your into Wrestling games definetally get WWE Smackdown Here Comes The pain. Even people not fans of Wrestling would love this game.

God Of War also is a great game you should get.

Thats pretty much all I got to say for now.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Although GTA: III isn't underappreciated, I'd still recommend getting it. Uh, I doubt you play the same types of games as I do, but Jade Cocoon II, as well as Drakan: The Ancients' Gates are not very well known. The Shadow Hearts series is also excellent, if you're into RPG's. Quake III has pretty long loading times, but once you're past them, the game is terrific.

Posted by brownoystercult

Beyond Good & Evil is a pretty decent game. You should also look into: Parappa the rappa 2, ICO, Ecco The Dolphin, Ape Escape 2 and more that I can think of later will be sure to come.

But seriously for the greats of the PlayStation 2, you should own the following: Gran Turismo 3, Anyone of the Ratchet and Clank series, Jak & Daxter series, God Of War, Metal Gear Solid 3, Katamari Damacy, Final Fantasy 10, and Socom II but seriously you should try looking into at least some of these hits. I really cant see where you would go wrong.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Uchiha Itachi:

But seriously for the greats of the PlayStation 2, you should own the following: Gran Turismo 3, Anyone of the Ratchet and Clank series, Jak & Daxter series, God Of War, Metal Gear Solid 3, Katamari Damacy, Final Fantasy 10, and Socom II but seriously you should try looking into at least some of these hits. I really cant see where you would go wrong.

Devil May Cry 1 and 3, don't forget those.

Posted by bazariah

i say look for ring of red, it game out and even the mags slated it, but it's one of the best games on ps2 ever... the battles can last around 6-7 hours

it features huge mechs and tanks and all out war

it's definetly one of the more under-appreaciated titles out there

Posted by The_Essence_Vortex

Quoting Uchiha Itachi: Beyond Good & Evil is a pretty decent game.

Isn't that GC only?

Posted by Looski

Quoting The_Essence_Vortex: Isn't that GC only?

Na, its all the major systems

Posted by Arczu

It's true, I have the PS2 version. I'd say that it goes down a few FPS compared to the GC version, but who really cared about that eh?

Posted by MasterCheif12345

no doubt it would have to be Beyond Good and Evil cause it is the most underlooked gem on the major systems. it was a really good game and it had good gameplay. but there was one problem with the game,the ending. the ending is th worst one ever. it got me so confused but still this is a underlooked game that is hard to find now

Posted by ZEN

If you're into the 3-D type "Zelda" style adventure, there's a game for PS2 called 'Dual Hearts'. Very overlooked.

'Ico' is one of those games I hear nothing but great things about.

A lot of gamers may know of 'Contra: Shattered Soldier' already, but I feel it's worth mentioning just because it's so unbelievably awesome.

Posted by neo55

There

Posted by Azusa

If you can find rez, it's a wonderful game. I've looked for it everywhere, but no major video game store has it in stock for a range of 200+ miles. Anyway, it's underappreciated, and you should look for it. Maybe you will be more fortunate.

Posted by Arczu

OMG Rez I was looking for that too. Best 2 hours of my life spent playing that game. I must find it!

Musical ochestry that reacts to your progress... nothing wrong with that.

Try out Stuntman if you can. You get to act out part of these fictional movies, and it's really cool once you get the hang of it.

Posted by Boner

Are you open to suggestions for PS1 games as well? There are quite a few games for it that were really great, but never really got the attention they deserved.

Posted by vgmaster13

Metal Arms:Glitch In The System was a good shooter in my mind and is one of my favorite shooting games. It is probly the most underlooked game also. Also Onimusha3 great game and is unapreciated too. it was worth my 15 dollars and has a good storyline. buy both,very cheap now

Posted by psp

you should try any of the need for speed series or gran turismo 3 or 4. you should also try project snowblind too. there is the star war series too. that is also really good.

Posted by steve9842005

you should try any of the need for speed series or gran turismo 3 or 4. you should also try project snowblind too. there is the star war series too. that is also really good.

Posted by Foxworthy12

I would recommend the rainbow six seires. Or if your into RPG's i would recommend wild arms series or shadow hearts. Have Fun.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I doubt that Speed will be into GT3, as odd as that may seem.

You dont jsut "go fast" in the Gran Turismo series. If you dont know anything about real life racing, i.e. physics, weight transfer, gear ratios, downforce, etc, as well as the proper way to race, then you wont do well. The license tests do a good job of teaching you how to handle your car, but with no outside knowledge of cars, setting up your gear ratios (one of the most important aspects of making your car not suck) can take hours of trial and error.

If you want an awesome simulator of what its like to drive some of the best (and not so best) cars of what the year 2000 had to offer, go for it. If you want to jsut mash the accelerator and expect to win, then it will be a waste of $20.