Political Party affiliation (in the USA)

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Let's try to avoid fighting and arguing in this thread. Save that for the War Board, and let's just answer the question calm-like.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Green Party in Canada, but they have a ****ty candidate.

And I guess Democrats in the US, but most of them make me cringe, whereas Republicans make me rage.

Posted by Xero

Green Party in Canada and Democrates as well in the U.S.

Posted by Speedfreak

AH UH.....AH....

..WOLFIE, GIT OVER HEYUH

...AS AH WAS SAYIN...AH AM AFFLIATED WITH THAT THERE POLITICAL PARTY THAT JUS' SO HAPPINS T' SUIT ME DOWN TO THA GROUND ONE HUNDRED PERCENT OF THA TIME. THAT IS OF COURSE UNLESS AH DISAGREE WITH ONE ER TWO THANGS, IN WHICH CASE I JUS' GO AN' CHANGE MAH MIND 'CAUSE AH FIGURE THEY KNOW BETTER'N AH DO.

Sorry Fei-on, had to be done.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

allying yourself with a particular party is retarded as hell, even more so in the US where the democrats in nevada are completely independent from the democrats in oklahoma or whatever

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

and you mis-spelled independent.

Posted by Tyler Durden

Doooooooooooooouuuble possssssssting....

It's self-evident who I support. EVIL EVIL EVIL.

Posted by mis0

Regestered as an independent back in 2006, no plans to change it.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Registered as an independant.

i'm curious to know how many people that have posted here are REGISTERED, as in, have a voters registration card and can vote in elections (especially since several people have listed party affiliations in two countries).

Posted by WillisGreeny

I'm registered, and as a Democrat.

Quoted post: i'm curious to know how many people that have posted here are REGISTERED, as in, have a voters registration card and can vote in elections (especially since several people have listed party affiliations in two countries).

Registered awhile back. It's painfully easy for non-residents to vote for American elections.

Posted by WillisGreeny

While on the other hand, it seems painfully difficult for residents to vote in American election, unless ofcourse they're 60+.

Heh, pretty funny. Cause all you have to do outside the US is say you were either born there or have parents who were born there and they send you a card. No passport, birth certificate, or sin number.

Posted by Klarth

us political system = false dichotomy

the fact that the proles don't see that means it will never ever work

Posted by Shade

No affiliation. Stupid, can't vote, bipartisan politics suck, etc.

Posted by WillisGreeny

People only vote dem or rep because they want their votes to actually count. Luckily Democrats and Republicans know this, so they try to work a campaign to ensure they seem qualified to represent smaller political parties people actually think in, but don't vote as.

There's actually 5 parties that have the most influence.
Dems,Reps; The two that actually win a lot, and have the cool colors.

And then there's these parties Cups fans like to vote for, but are more or less voting between dem and rep.
The Green Party. Dem
Constitution Party. Rep/Dem
Libertarian Party. Rep

Yeah, I'd vote Green here if I knew they stood a chance in hell. But Conservatives and Liberals are way too far ahead of anyone else to even bother. Just be throwing away my vote.

Posted by maian

I'm not registered yet (better get on that), but I think I'm mostly Republican at the core. I believe in a lot of stuff from both sides, and whenever I take surveys and crap about it, I usually lean towards independent. BUT, if I have to vote, I'm gonna go Republican.

Posted by Fate

Democratic. It just makes sense to me.

Not to mention my vote actually matters in a two-party system.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Fate;890197][COLOR=skyblue]Not to mention my vote actually matters in a two-party system.[/COLOR]uhhhh what

also maian is a republican, it all makes sense now

Posted by maian

x is a faggot, it all makes sense now

lol

Posted by mis0

Quoting maian: I'm not registered yet (better get on that).

It depends on your state, but chances are you've already missed the registration deadline. In most states it's October 6th or 7th.

Posted by Lord of Spam

The people that say LOL I VOTE MAJOR PARTY SO MY VOTE COUNTS **** me off.

People have ****ing fought and died to buy you the right to voice your opinion in one of the few nations on earth that allows independant thought and expression in politics and you choose the ****ing din shout of the masses? You sicken me.

Maybe more third parties would be viable options if the ********s that thought that actually grew some ****ing balls AND VOTED FOR WHAT THEY BELIEVED IN.

Posted by Shade

That's retarded.

Posted by WillisGreeny

[quote=Lord of Spam;890257]The people that say LOL I VOTE MAJOR PARTY SO MY VOTE COUNTS **** me off.

People have ****ing fought and died to buy you the right to voice your opinion in one of the few nations on earth that allows independant thought and expression in politics and you choose the ****ing din shout of the masses? You sicken me.

Maybe more third parties would be viable options if the ********s that thought that actually grew some ****ing balls AND VOTED FOR WHAT THEY BELIEVED IN.

People that say LOL IM IN THE NAVY SO I OBVIOUSLY CARE MORE ABOUT MY COUNTRY'S POLITICAL SYSTEM **** me off.

A vote to a third party is a vote to whoever you oppose, which is probably the stupidest thing you can do if there's someone you know you don't want in the white house. If I didn't see a difference between McCain or Obama winning this election I'd vote for a third party, but in this case I don't want McCain to win so I choose the lesser of two evils from my view point. It's not because I'm weak, just not nieve.

The masses decide elections, so thinking of the masses is worth noteing when making a decision. Probably the stupidest thing you can do is pretend that dems and reps current members don't matter, and that your vote for what you actually "believen" makes a difference. Sorry, but martyring my vote as a means to showing America I'm taking a stand against the political Dichotomy is futile. If anything, it's a cop out to actually having a hand in the election.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

How could what LoS had said be a cop-out? He said vote for what you believe in. If anything, that's showing that you care more than the people who vote for the lesser of two evils.

It's just that most people are cop-outs and vote for the major parties only.

Also, registered independent. Still trying to figure out who I'm voting for. First time voting and I want to choose who I really want.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Iron Koala: People that say LOL IM IN THE NAVY SO I OBVIOUSLY CARE MORE ABOUT MY COUNTRY'S POLITICAL SYSTEM **** me off.

A vote to a third party is a vote to whoever you oppose, which is probably the stupidest thing you can do if there's someone you know you don't want in the white house. If I didn't see a difference between McCain or Obama winning this election I'd vote for a third party, but in this case I don't want McCain to win so I choose the lesser of two evils from my view point. It's not because I'm weak, just not nieve.

The masses decide elections, so thinking of the masses is worth noteing when making a decision. Probably the stupidest thing you can do is pretend that dems and reps current members don't matter, and that your vote for what you actually "believen" makes a difference. Sorry, but martyring my vote as a means to showing America I'm taking a stand against the political Dichotomy is futile. If anything, it's a cop out to actually having a hand in the election.

You've missed my point entirely. Voting for a third party is only a "waste" if everyone agrees so. People tend to think only in terms of what everyone else is doing for some reason, so it becomes true. If people would ALL vote for what they felt, and actually looked into what candidates stood for rather than voting party lines, american politics would be in a much better sense.

Also, me being outraged about this has nothing to do with me being in the military. I've been annoyed by that since long before I could vote.

nice trying painting me with the stereotype brush there, but it just didnt work.

Posted by WillisGreeny

[quote=Grenade Grasshopper;890269]How could what LoS had said be a cop-out? He said vote for what you believe in. If anything, that's showing that you care more than the people who vote for the lesser of two evils.

Um, not really. It shows you don't care whether a republican or democrate wins. That's all it shows. What you believen is irrelavent.

[quote]

No, It's that most people know the game plan and actually want to make a difference. Any jack *** can be running on a third party and have the same beliefs you do-exc. , but voting for them is stupid if you favor a democrat over a republican or a republican over a democrat. It's how the election works, and you're not going to make a difference by wasting your vote to a single issued political party if you favor either the donkey or the elephant.

Posted by WillisGreeny

[quote=Lord of Spam;890270] If people would ALL vote for what they felt, and actually looked into what candidates stood for rather than voting party lines, american politics would be in a much better sense.

umm, you said you were ****ed off that people voted dems or reps so that they actually have a hand in the election in the begining, and then you went on with the utopian voting scheme. I went with what you said first.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

[quote]No, It's that most people know the game plan and actually want to make a difference. Any jack *** can be running on a third party and have the same beliefs you do-exc. , but voting for them is stupid if you favor a democrat over a republican or a republican over a democrat. It's how the election works, and you're not going to make a difference by wasting your vote to a single issued political party if you favor either the donkey or the elephant.

That wouldn't be the case if EVERYONE voted for whom they really wanted to win. Most people who vote, vote for the lesser of 2 evils.

If everyone voted for what they believe in, it wouldn't be a 2 party system. It would be much different.

Posted by WillisGreeny

No ****. Sorry guys, I was thinking realistically while you're all going with the "what if America didn't suck so much".

Posted by Lord of Spam

Yet again, you fail to see the point.

People who the way they do because they are told that that is the way the system works. There is nothing enforcing this, though, other than people expectations. All it takes is saying "wait, wut?" and thinking for 2 seconds and you realize how completely artificial the whole deal is.

As for your voting for the lesser of two evils, I see it differently. I see myself voting for what I believe, vs voting whats available to the mainstream. And the more people that stand up and say "**** your two parties" the more will have the courage to stand up and vote with their minds rather than a ****ing color.

So you vote for the lesser of republican vs democrat evil. I'll vote for the lesser of free choice vs mindless crowd evil.

And just for gits and shiggles, I'm voting obama because he honestly conforms more closely to my ideals than I have seen so far. So dont think just because I'm saying that you should vote what you think DOESNT mean you should vote rep/dem. If thats what you think, rock on. Just make sure you THINK before you vote.

Posted by WillisGreeny

How did I miss the point exactly? You've basically confirmed my assessments exactly when I said that you think a martyr vote will amount to something. You believe it will actually bring confidence in others to break away from the two major parties, while I'm looking at statistics that show otherwise. Electability, in this day and age, is still the winner, and I don't see any reason for it to change for this election.

Posted by Fate

You can vote for whatever you believe in, but the fact of the matter is that the more popular an election is, the more people tend to vote-- since the masses believe there are only two parties, guess where your vote goes? Nowhere. It would have to be a MASS movement for it to matter. Last I checked, other parties didn't get more than 9% (from what I heard at the time) of the votes in the last election, and I don't see that changing with the one coming up. Some people weren't even listed in all the states.

YEAH, STICK IT TO THE MAN.

Posted by Lord of Spam

You do realize that I'm not just spouting theory here, right? Third party candidates have been slowly gaining ground for some time now.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

scotland has four big political parties who all have to co-operate and **** because we use proportional representation, it is both a really awesome and really ****ty thing. the green party have even managed to be the deciding factor in a number of key policy votes too!

also willis you are a pretty presumptuous debater, strawmans all over the ship

Posted by WillisGreeny

[quote=The X;890363]
also willis you are a pretty presumptuous debater, strawmans all over the ship

American Politics is very presumptuous, so I tend to argue in the same way (I'd check sources and **** if this debate had actually mattered). I have nothing against idealists that want to change the political atmophere one vote at a time, just that there's other considerations to be made. The fact is a lot of people don't vote for what they exactly believen so much as what they know others vote for that is similar, and though it's stupid people do that, I count on people to remain stupid if there isn't a big change somehow. Want proof, just look at the dichotomy itself! It still decides elections. I'm not being presumptuous by thinking this will never change (**** I hope it does someday), just that this election doesn't have any large indications of being different than past elections.

If people really want third party representation then they should try for a senator chair and work their way up.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

you have the right to vote. You also have the right to remain silent when under arrest. The keynote about a right is that you may CHOOSE to exercise that right. The beauty in it is the choice. That's what makes it a right and not a requirement. You don't have to vote. If you don't feel any candidate is qualified, then don't vote. I'm fine with that. You are also entitled to gripe if you don't vote, when the elected representative screws up. You pay taxes, and you feel the repercussions of executive and legislative decision. You have the right to gripe, regardless. Don't let anyone bully you into doing anything.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Grenade Grasshopper: How could what LoS had said be a cop-out? He said vote for what you believe in. If anything, that's showing that you care more than the people who vote for the lesser of two evils.

Also, registered independent. Still trying to figure out who I'm voting for. First time voting and I want to choose who I really want.

[COLOR="Yellow"]You know what the saddest part about the 2004 election was? Democrats weren't really voting for Kerry but rather against Bush. Their whole slogan was "anybody but Bush" which is just the most pathetic thing you rally your party behind. The lesser of two evils is still evil.

I'm a libertarian, by the way. Give me liberty or give me death.[/COLOR]

Posted by Iris

I don't think the problem is everyone thinking "my vote's going to be wasted because everyone else will go either Dem or Rep." It's not a hivemind that greatly affects the chances of independent parties. It's the fact that most people truly ARE voting solely Democrat or Republican due to less media coverage and more knowledge of the candidates, not to mention the tradition or a Democratic or Republican president. So it's not like all voters think that way, simply that most voters don't know crap about Independent parties due to lack of campaigning, media coverage, and funding, and truly would be wasting a vote if they didn't know the person they were voting for.

People are just too lazy to learn about candidates that aren't on TV.

Posted by Speedfreak

Didn't think so many of you were stupid enough to duct tape yourself to one particular side.

The X, I think this deserves a high five.

Posted by Fate

I'm actually more social libertarian/authoritarian, but I'm awwight being in the Dem party.

Posted by Moogs

I registered in August and turned 18 last month. I am independent. I don't really care to stick to a particular party.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Speedfreak: Didn't think so many of you were stupid enough to duct tape yourself to one particular side.

The X, I think this deserves a high five.

I like how when I netman trolls, its OMGBAN, but its ok when yuo do it.

I just registered democrat cause I only care to vote when interesting **** comes up. Would be different if I lived there, but I don't!

Posted by Fei-on Castor

I like the ideals and platform of the Libertarian Party, but I don't like Bob Barr at all. I think his voting record stinks of neo-con.

I wish Ron Paul was running as a Libertarian. He's got it figured out, man.

Posted by mixm

Quoting Iron Koala:

And then there's these parties Cups fans like to vote for, but are more or less voting between dem and rep.
The Green Party. Dem
Constitution Party. Rep/Dem
Libertarian Party. Rep

Economically, sure.

Everywhere else, no. Libertarians are very liberal when dealing with social issues.

Posted by Kyuuketsuki

I'm leaning towards Independent lately. I use to support Democrats, but I have fallen out of bounds with them.