Bangai-O Spirits

Posted by Speedfreak

I guess you guys would rather play videogames about Japanese fashion rejects than giant (tiny) robots weilding swords, baseball bats and the ability to fire (literally) over 100 missiles in all directions, though f[COLOR=lightgreen]u[/COLOR]ck knows why. I assume so because I've heard no talk about this game whatsoever from anyone but me.

So here is my one annual favour to all of you, and I promise it's better than "shutting up" or "f[COLOR=lightgreen]u[/COLOR]cking off".

Bangai-O Spirits is a game made by Treasure. They made Ikaruga, Mischief Makers and Gunstar Heroes among others (by now you should be in your car and speeding towards the nearest game shop).

It is an "action" game where you control a robot. This robot fires missiles of many kinds. There are homing missiles, missiles that bounce of walls, missiles that break through other missiles and missiles that are weak to other missiles but do AWESOME DAMAGE. There are super weapon versions of all of these, along with one that focuses your missiles in one particular direction like a laser beam. There is also a sword which slices through missiles, and a baseball bat which smacks them back. There are two other super weapons, one which freezes all enemies and missiles and another which reflects all missiles. You can use any two normal and super weapons together, I'll let you think of how those last two could be used simultaneously.

Also, if you fire all your missiles when there are lots of other enemy missiles on screen you will fire even more, LARGER missiles. The DS will slow down, sometimes you will come across situations where it will take maybe 3 seconds to figure out what the hell you just did. This is the most satisfying slowdown you will ever experience.

The levels are fantasic, sometimes you have to kill a million small enemies, sometimes you have to race through the level avoiding turrets. Some are puzzle-like, some have you in epic battles against screen-filling bosses. There is also a level editor, it is deep enough to make all of the standard levels, and the gameplay is certainly deep enough to prevent even 160 levels from scratching the surface.

[youtube=SdMtBVWxl5k]SdMtBVWxl5k[/youtube]

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: I guess you guys would rather play videogames about Japanese fashion rejects

Wait, what? Not even bother reading the rest of the post.

Anywho, I plan to pick up this game later in the year when releases start calming down.

Posted by Speedfreak

I don't get whythat would offend you, unless you were trying to come up with a reason to stop reading AS FAST AS POSSIBLE.

Not offended, just found it stupid.

Posted by Speedfreak

MAYBE IF YOU READ THE FULL SENTENCE YOU'D GET SOME SENSE OF CONTEXT.

JUST PUTTING THAT OUT THERE.

I GUESS A LOT OF SENTENCES ARE STUPID HALFWAY THROUGH.

I WAS TALKING ABOUT THE WORLD ENDS WITH YOU, WHICH IS A VIDEO GAME ABOUT JAPANESE FASHION REJECTS.

I DIDN'T SAY IT WAS BAD. I GUESS I SHOULD SPELL THAT OUT FOR YOU TOO.

THE SKY IS BLUE, DON'T EAT YELLOW SNOW.

Yeah, I read the rest of the sentence before my original post. Thought it was stupid

Posted by Slade

Interestingly enough, I've played a fair amount of Bangai-O Spirits and haven't touched TWEWY. The X and I have talked a little about it, though it might have mostly been in IMs, I'm not sure.

It's a pretty sweet game. The first time I took out like 50 missiles with my sword as I was boosting towards a guy was gr8 fun. And I have to hand it to the thing for kicking my *** so hard and with such consistence. "READY... GO- oh you're dead already"

So have you beaten all the levels?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Beat about 70% of the levels on the original Japanese release, the American port has some weird FMVs cutscenes and **** now and I know how the combination weapons work a little better but TWEWY definitely deserves more credit than a Dreamcast port of a decent puzzle shooter.

Posted by Speedfreak

This is a sequel to the Dremcast game, it is better. Even if it was a remake, who gives a shit? No one played the Dreamcast game.

I have the EU version, I see no FMV.

I haven't beaten all the levels, probably beaten about 50. WAR IN SPACE was hard as hell.