Dell Inspiron 8200 Battery

Posted by loony636

I have a Dell Inspoiron. Yesterday, I unplugged it from the main power, and started to work on it. After about 10 minutes the computer said that it had 5 minutes of power remaining. I recharged it fully, and the same thing happened. I took out the battery, shaked it around, blew on it (yes, I was desperate) but was unable to change anything. The battery tester on the battery said that no charge was going in (it stayed on 1 bar even when I charged it for 2 hours). Has anyone else had this problem and/or knows if there is a way to fix it? I looked around and the cheapest battery I've found was $AUS150. I really don't want to pay that much for a laptop battery, considering mine's getting pretty old.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Well, I know my battery is horrible. Either yours is dying, or you didn't let the battery 'run out' then charge up fully when you first bought the laptop.

Posted by loony636

Quoting Angelwing: you didn't let the battery 'run out' then charge up fully when you first bought the laptop.

I did, and since my laptop has a lithium-iron battery, the battery charging problem doesn't occur. It only occurs with Nickel-Metal Hydride (I have NO idea how to spell that) batteries.

Posted by Trigger

You could, if you're desperate, place the battery in the freezer for a little while and then attempt to use it. However, I would say that either the battery is failing and needs replacing or the laptops motherboard is not charging the battery (which happened to me on my previous laptop, despite the laptop indicating that it was charging and then stopping the charge when the battery was apparently "full".

Try and find a replacement battery, even if you take the laptop to the store and ask if you could quickly "test" the product before you purchase it. If it fails within five minutes, I'd begin to look at calling Dell or a certified laptop repairist to have a look at the laptop itself and more particularly, the motherboard. If the motherboard does happen to be the cause and the laptop isn't in warrenty, you'll probably find that the cost to replace the motherboard with another will be more expensive, in comparison to just buying a whole new laptop again.

Posted by loony636

Quoting Trigger: place the battery in the freezer

What does that do? Might try it, I'm getting desperate.

The battery is broken, the motherboard charges it fine.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: What does that do? Might try it, I'm getting desperate.

Maeks them last longer. Though it depends on the type of battery and in most cases it isn't worth the hassle.

For example, Alkaline batteries only use 90% power when in room temperature, sticking them in the freezer will bump that up to 95%. But you have to wait until they warm to to use them.

However, I would avoid doing this. It takes to long and doesn't make much of a difference. Plus, you could do harm if you're not careful. Find a cool, dry place to do it. Otherwise, find another solution.

Posted by Trigger

[quote=Vampiro]For example, Alkaline batteries only use 90% power when in room temperature, sticking them in the freezer will bump that up to 95%. But you have to wait until they warm to to use them.

However, I would avoid doing this. It takes to long and doesn't make much of a difference. Plus, you could do harm if you're not careful. Find a cool, dry place to do it. Otherwise, find another solution.
The battery most likely needs to be thrown in the trash anyway, so even if the battery didn't work after freezing and thawing it out, there's no loss.

Posted by loony636

I have thrown the battery in the trash and ordered a new one from Dell. I did try to put it in the freezer though.:) It didn't work.:(

Posted by Klarth

Aren't most laptop batteries lithium ion? That's what my compaq uses.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Aren't most laptop batteries lithium ion? That's what my compaq uses.

I believe so, but even those die afte so many charges.

Posted by loony636

I have lithium iron.

Posted by Klarth

I think you mean lithium ion.

Posted by loony636

Yes, that's what i mean.