Ski(i)tzo Goes Wii!

Posted by Skitzo Control

So I bought a Wii... and I have no idea what to do with it. I have like 12 games on VC (or more...) and Wii Sports, and I guess I should probably get SSBB, but I dunno. Maybe even Mario Kart Wii. I haven't been keeping on this system 'cause I never really thought I'd buy it, even if I really wanted it. So... umm... good games?

Oh, and is the SD slot on it SDHC or only SD? It's like my first time actually touching a vagina. I have no idea what this thing is really capable of, but dear God it sure is fun to figure out.

Posted by maian

Well, let's bust out the obvious must haves first, shall we?

-Super Mario Galaxy: Very fun platforming action, feels like the spiritual sequel to Super Mario World.

-Metroid Prime 3: Deep and engaging, pretty good graphics, and amazing controls, and it can actually be hard if you want.

SSBB: lol

It's a cliche answer, yes, but really, you MUST own these ones if you own a Wii. Period.

Posted by Ant

If you must get one minigame game; get Warioware Smooth Moves. Way better than MarioParty 8 or any other minigame sh[COLOR="Lime"]i[/COLOR]tfest.

No More Heroes if you enjoyed Killed 7 at all.

and then the ones maian mentioned.

Posted by junior senior

get mario kart so i can lose to you

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

carnival games

Posted by Ant

is that a joke or are you serious? I really can't tell.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

bee movie the game

Posted by Skitzo Control

I hate that I don't know anything about this system. I thought I could use the classic controller to play GCN games. I was wrong. :(

Posted by Linko_16

Super Paper Mario

Twilight Princess, if you haven't already played it on the Cube.

Posted by Speedfreak

Ignore Linko's suggestions. They are bad.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

ignore speedfreak

just some general advice for yall, peace out

Posted by Speedfreak

No, seriously, Twilight Princess and Super Paper Mario are awful.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

semper sun tzu

Posted by Linko_16

They're not great, but they're not bad either.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=The X;886614]semper sun tzu

AHORF HORF. HORF HORF HORF.

[quote=Linko_16;886681][COLOR=indigo]They're not great, but they're not bad either.[/COLOR]

Twilight Princess is terrible. You're better off playing Link's Awakening again and then picking out a random Grimms Fairytale to read.

Posted by Skitzo Control

Actually, I already DLed LTTP and OoT from VC, and I don't really plan on buying anything other than Super Mario Galaxy for a while.:)I gotta get through one game before I can move on to the next.

I did, though, buy a couple GCN games... Eternal Darkness, specifically.:D

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

what can i say

without vamp leading the charge i am nothing

Posted by Last Fog

I'd like to concur with Speedfreak here. SPM and TP are terrible. Avoid. Unless you're a true Zelda fag, then you might enjoy TP.

But uhh... nothing really worth mentioning that hasn't been already. So yup, 4 games tops!

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

this coming from the guy who likes big game hunting and history channel games

Posted by Last Fog

I only play those for laughs and achievements. Although Civil War isn't nearly as bad as it's made out to be. After all, it's a Civil War game.

Posted by Xero

Twilight Princess
Super Smash Brawl
Mario Kart Wii
and Super Mario Galaxy.

I sceond those suggestions. I personally enjoyed playing those for the little time I could actually play them. Worth time and money fo' sho'

Posted by Last Fog

[quote]Because being a fan of the probably the most influential, memorable, and successful series makes you a "fag."That's not what I meant, and I shouldn't have to explain it, BUT OK.

Being a fan is ok if you're able to recognize not every game in your series is automatically gold. But if you tend to masturbate at every entry to the franchise, despite it being horsesh!t, then you're a fanboy (which is what I meant when I said "fag"). And personally, I can't see anyone other than a fanboy enjoyed the major letdown that was Twilight Princess.

Also, I just wanna call you a tool for using "successful" as a reason for Zelda being good.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Twilight was fine. Not sure why people are making a fuss, but it was fine. I liked Wind Waker more, but Twilight certainly improved horseback riding!

Posted by Speedfreak

Being a fan of every game in the series because you know it's so successful and influential would probably make you a fag, yeah.

I've explained like a million times why Twilight Princess is s[COLOR=lightgreen]h[/COLOR]it. It's not even opinion-based stuff, it's things like the level design making no logical sense; the game leading you around by the hand; the world being vast yet completely empty; half the items being almost completely unused, making others obsolete or seemingly existing only for you to whip out whenever you see a certain prop in your way. F[COLOR=lightgreen]u[/COLOR]ck, it's the way the all the levels seem to revolve around that last flaw, it trivialises playing it at all. All of this can be proven, the evidence is the game itself.

Maybe it's hard to notice because so many games do this, and the fact that Zelda at least makes us do something with the game mechanics leads us to believe the level design isn't at fault, and that the developers should have sacrificed more virgins to the pagan fun g[COLOR=lightgreen]o[/COLOR]d because objectively making a game fun to play is utterly beyond anyone. Not so, there is a fairly standard and logical method to do fun level design, Twilight Princess and at least half of Mario Galaxy is the exact wrong way to do it.

Posted by WillisGreeny

But that's always been a Zelda problem, so I don't see how that seperates TP from being worse than other Zelda game, unless we're bashing those who say TP set higher standards. I mean, Isn't that kindof the formula for Zelda anyway when it comes to weapons (which I'm linking with gameplay)? New Dungeon, Get new weapons, Another New Dungeon, Use New Weapon and get Another New Weapon, Next Dungeon first weapon obsolete. Perhaps the Zelda team just have low expectations of Zelda gamers to solve mulitible step puzzels involving remembering other weapon functions, and also assume the simpler the world map looks the clearer the objectives would be for the player. If that's the case then I strongly disagree with the Zelda Team and raise expectations somehow, however, I have no clue what they meant to do with TP other than create a generic Zelda game with better graphics. Maybe they just didn't know what the **** to do and just looked at all the other games out there and said "let's not try to hard since we have a brand name". I like to think of Nintendo as the quirky guys always tinkering with new ideas, but maybe for TP it was different...who knows...That being said though, let me stress my opinion of TP just being alright, not grand or ****ty.

Posted by Speedfreak

I was gonna write about how you totally missed the point, but I've explained this a thousand times and I think you're actually kind of a bastard for trying to get me to do it again! Especially in Skitzo's thread! For shame! PM me if you want a special, one-on-one, friendly discussion on how I hate TP.

Posted by Last Fog

Oh please, you love explaining yourself, or else you wouldn't have done it the first thousand times.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Quoting Speedfreak: It's not even opinion-based stuff...

No, but it's exaggerated factual information that you have a strong opinion about. I didn't mind any of those things that you're blowing way out of proportion when taking them along with the overall fun of the gameplay. They're certainly areas for improvement in future installments of the series, but they're not game-ruiners.

Posted by Speedfreak

When the game's levels are composed of illogical puzzles, trivial obstacles and "use your item here" situations you got a f[COLOR=lightgreen]u[/COLOR]cking problem. It's not something "to be improved on for future titles" because OLDER titles didn't suffer from this bulls[COLOR=lightgreen]h[/COLOR]it. This is how Nintendo make games right now and how they will carry on making games because the gaming press keeps telling them that they almost made the highest scoring game of all time instead of calling them out on their bulls[COLOR=lightgreen]h[/COLOR]it.

Scarily, yes, I might be in the minority of people that thinks bad level design can be game ruining for a series that has always been about clever level design. Such is the state of the medium.

Posted by Skitzo Control

But what would you define as clever level design? Water Temple of OoT? That was probably the BEST temple in Zelda history, and it was completely full of "use _____(Ocarina/Hookshot/Bow and Arrow/Steel Boots/Zora Tunic etc.) here." Some obstacles were rather trivial, too. Yes, it was a very logical and well-thought out, I can give it that, but the Zelda series has always been full of the "use ______ here," stuff.

Posted by Speedfreak

I thought the water temple was pretty alright. I have this theory that most people's problems with it were caused by the narrow corridors making the camera screwy, once you can actually get a good look around the place it was fine.

I guess I should explain what I mean by "use your item here" situations. I mean situations where, literally, that is all you have to do. Where they'll put a hole in the middle of a corridor with a hookshot panel at the other side and call it an "improvement". The water temple, off the top of my head, had some brilliantuses of the hookshot. After learning exactly what a hookshot did it then challenged you to use it as quickly, accurately and efficiently as possible. You'd be at the bottom of a whirlpool being swept around and you'd have to time your shot whilst moving to get it to land on a panel; or you'd use it to flip switches then quickly hookshot through the now-open gate. Or, my personal favourite, the series of hookshot ledges constantly descending a waterfall, and you have to fire it quickly and accurately to climb to the top. That's a logical progression right there. Twilight Princess isn't as good as this, it touches on it sometimes but for the most part just has you doing the same thing in different rooms. For example, the Sky Temple at the end of the game. Pretty much the entire time all you're ever doing is swinging between different things, flipping the same kind of switch for the same reason over and over. Sometimes they got clever and had hookshot panels that would fall out of the sky, or moving peahats to hookshot onto. But they always managed to immediately exhaust whatever new idea they had, and none of them required the same level of skill or ingenuity that the situations in the water temple had.

Then Twilight Princess does insultingly stupid shit like handing you a key to unlock the door in the very next room, in the fourth dungeon in the game.