SSBM Unlockables

Posted by Alastor

This is a thread containing the methods to unlock the hidden stages, characters, and some of the harder trophies. :)

If there's a trophy you can't get, post here, and someone will help you.

[center]::CHARACTERS::[/center]
*Characters can be unlocked by one of two methods. It is not necessary to do them both, just pick one. All characters will challenge you after you complete the last match in whichever method you choose to do.*

[list][*]Doctor Mario

1. Play 100 VS mode matches.

2. Beat classic/adventure mode on any difficulty, with any number of lives,
with Mario. (DON'T continue)
------------------------------
[*]Falco Lombardi

1. Play 300 VS mode matches.

2. Clear the 100 Man Melee, An easy way to do this is to just use DK's down+B move until you win. You could also use Link's up+B move, or Kirby's up+B move.
[*]Ganondorf

1. Play 600 VS mode matches.

2. Beat event #29 (Triforce Gathering).
[*]Jigglypuff

1. Play 50 VS mode matches.

2. Beat adventure mode or classic mode with any character on any difficulty.
[*]Luigi

1. Play 800 VS mode matches.

2. Play adventure mode, in the first (Mario Bros.) stage when you reach the goal (flag) make sure the digit that's 3rd from the right in your timer is a 2, the other numbers DO NOT matter, (##:#2:##). You will know you have done this part correctly because in the following cutscene Luigi will jump on mario's head, and in the battle that follows, Luigi will be fighting with Peach in place of Mario. Beat this stage and the rest of adventure mode.
Don't use any continues either.
[*]Marth

1. Play 400 VS mode matches.

2. Use at least ten of the original characters at least once in VS mode, classic mode, or adventure mode.

(NOTE) If Step 2 doesn't work, then use the rest of the original characters in the same way to unlock Marth.
[*]Mewtwo

1. Play 700 VS mode matches (not in a row, just in total).

2. Play VS mode for a total of 20 hours (not all at once, in total). Also this
time is divided among how many players are controlled by humans (NOT CPU!).
So if you have just 1 human player, you play for 20 hours, 2 humans = 10 hours, 3 = 6 hours 40 minutes, 4 = 5 hours. Also DON'T leave the game paused to do this.
[*]Mr. Game & Watch

1. Play 1000 VS mode matches.

2. This guy will almost always be the last character that you unlock. You have
to unlock the other 24 characters first, then clear either classic mode,
adventure mode, or break the targets with all of them.
[*]Pichu

1. Play 200 VS mode matches.

2. Beat event #37 (Legendary Pokemon).
[*]Roy

1. Play 900 VS mode matches.

2. Beat adventure or classic mode with Marth without continuing.
[*]Young Link

1. Play 500 VS mode matches.

2. Beat classic mode as Link, as Zelda, then as 8 other characters.
------------------------------[/list]

Posted by Alastor

[center]::STAGES::[/center]
*Stages, unlike characters, are unlocked via a single method.*

[list][*]Brinstar Depths, Fourside, Big Blue, Poke Floats

Play VS mode matches to
unlock these stages, you will unlock one at 50 matches, and the others at
100, 150, and 200 matches.
[*]Mushroom Kingdom II (Subcon)

Get the Birdo trophy.
[*]Flat Zone

Unlock Mr. Game & Watch and beat one of the single-player modes with him.
[*]Battlefield

Beat All-Star mode with any character to unlock this stage.
[*]Final Destination

Beat all 51 event matches.
[*]Dream Land (N64)

Beat break the targets with all 25 characters.
[*]Yoshi's Island (N64)

Get over 1300 ft in the home run contest to unlock this stage. The best way I've found is to use Yoshi and jump real low and use his down+A move in the air (he kicks a bunch of times). Doing this once should do around 33% damage to the sandbag, so do it a few more times, then grab the bat (which is to the left of you when you start by the way) and smash (tap right and hit A) the sandbag.
[*]Kongo Jungle (N64)

Finish the 15 minute melee with any character. I've found that DK is best (with his down+B move), but you can experiment if you so choose.

[center]::MISC. UNLOCKABLES::[/center]

[list][*]Sound Test
Beat event #51 and unlock all stages and characters to unlock this. (You need to beat events 1-50 to get event 51)
[*]All-Star Mode

Unlock all 25 characters to unlock this mode.
[*]Random Stage Switch

Once you have Brinstar Depths, Fourside, Big Blue, and Poke Floats unlocked, this switch will appear that lets you decide which stages you DON'T want to be included in random select.
[*]Score Display

Once you have 5000 KOs or more (not all at once), you will unlock this. This option (when it's turned on) allows you to see who has what score during a match, instead of having to find out at the very end who the winner/leader is.

That concludes the basic unlockables. If you're having trouble getting a certain trophy, or having trouble unlocking something listed above still, post here.

Posted by Mystic Hero

Uh Alastor, the Marth one can be achieved by using ten original characters in VS. Mode not all, at least that's the way I was told and it happened to work.

Posted by Alastor

Oh..well, 'scuse me. I copied alot of those because I forgot how to do them myself. I'll fix it.

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

I didn't use 10 characters for marth, I used every original character that wasn't an unlockable. Meh >.< Diskun, I never got diskun. Too much time trying micro

Posted by Alastor

Geez. @_@

There. Hopefully the last edit I'll have to make to Marth. :p

Posted by Cyphus

well, its good theres a thread like this. so noobs don't have to ask.
maybe we should get one on all the known glitches. We can steal it from smashboards =D
i know there is a glitch compilation Somewhere thats prolly a few pages back by now.

Posted by D.J Cat

I've heard there is a trophy for beating one of the single player modes without taking ANY damage.
Is this true?

I came rediculoiiusly close to finding out when I beat Classic mode, and only got hit once. :mad:

I was disapointed when I found out you don't get a trophy for beating Metroid Prime 100%. Still worth doing I guess but that would have been so cool...

Posted by Tails

Here's a few trophies that are hard to comeby.

Food Trophie- Play up to 1,000 Vs. matches. (It could be with a friend or alone. Matters not.)
Paper Mario- Hit the Sandbag over... I think 1,476 feet
Mr. Resetti- Defeat 5 or more guys in crule melee mode
Smash Coins- Play up to 100 coin battles in Vs mode

Posted by Burrito

Quoting D.J Cat: I've heard there is a trophy for beating one of the single player modes without taking ANY damage.
Is this true?

I came rediculoiiusly close to finding out when I beat Classic mode, and only got hit once. :mad:

You don't get a trophy, but no-damage clear is a bonus. You need to get all the bonuses to unlock diskun.

Posted by D.J Cat

OK, thanks for clearing that up to some extent.

Does it matter what mode you do it in?
I get the feeling that Classic mode is the easiest to do this in. I keep getting to Master Hand and getting hit once or twice mid-way through the battle...

And...
"Hit the Sandbag over... I think 1,476 feet"

Hmm, my game is in metres, any idea if that still applys?

Posted by Burrito

It doesn't matter which mode you do it in. Classic on very easy would probably be the best one, but master hand would be annoying. I'm actually very close to getting this trophy. All I have left is no-damage clear and giga bowser KO. Giga bowser KO should probably be pretty easy to get. No damage clear is all I'm worrying about.

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

Quoting D.J Cat: "Hit the Sandbag over... I think 1,476 feet"

Hmm, my game is in metres, any idea if that still applys?

Not that hard. a few hundred meters should do. Pick ganondorf and do it. I have 6202 feet with him, which rounds to around 2000 meters or more... I think :P yea, gnaondorf it. Real easy.

Posted by D.J Cat

Yeah I got the Paper Mario trophy....
with Ganondorf.

I did one Down + B move while in the air, then did his kick up move then before the bag lands do a smash down move while in the air, then kick him up again and then launch him.
It went 498 metres

I completed Classic mode and got hit once by a Donkey Kong but didn't get hit by Master Hand.
One day I'll beat it without getting hit...

Posted by Burrito

I GOT DISKUN! Now, I have all the trophies, besides Olimar. I think I'll just borrow my friend's Pikmin data.

Posted by Lucifer

What is this Diskun? H
How do you get so far with Gannondorf?

And good job with the thread Alastor.

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

Ganondorf - Grab the bat, run to the bag

1 - Up smash no charge
2 - while the bag falls, let the bag be under you, and neutral drop the bat, with the z button, on the first jump. The jump must be a short hop, and the second jump must be another short hop really fast.
3 - On the second jump, the bat must have hit the bag, then you down A him while coming down.
4 - L cancel the down air, and double jump and grab the bat in midair, drop it in mid air, and down air again. Repeat till around 3 seconds

At that time, you can easily get 3000 feet with 3 of these bat drops. To make it a bit more advanced, add this step

5 - at the last 2 seconds, make sure you're behind the bag. Grab the bat one more time, and toss it up

6 - Jump to the left of the bag and face towards the sandbag. Warlock punch, the bat should fall on the bag first, and the bag should fly, but it will hit your fist again.

This should make the bag fly over 4500 feet

Yea, I'll go find a video soon or something :(

Posted by Mystic Hero

Quoting Dark Bulb 4.3: Ganondorf - Grab the bat, run to the bag

1 - Up smash no charge
2 - while the bag falls, let the bag be under you, and neutral drop the bat, with the z button, on the first jump. The jump must be a short hop, and the second jump must be another short hop really fast.
3 - On the second jump, the bat must have hit the bag, then you down A him while coming down.
4 - L cancel the down air, and double jump and grab the bat in midair, drop it in mid air, and down air again. Repeat till around 3 seconds

At that time, you can easily get 3000 feet with 3 of these bat drops. To make it a bit more advanced, add this step

5 - at the last 2 seconds, make sure you're behind the bag. Grab the bat one more time, and toss it up

6 - Jump to the left of the bag and face towards the sandbag. Warlock punch, the bat should fall on the bag first, and the bag should fly, but it will hit your fist again.

This should make the bag fly over 4500 feet

Yea, I'll go find a video soon or something :(

I don't think there are vids with him getting close to to 4,500 feet but to around 10,000 feet is more like it.

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

YEA, its the same thing really, except the guy does everything with single shorthops instead of two quick shorthops and fastfalls.

and the perfectly timed reverse warlock

Posted by Arczu

About Game&Watch...

He was the SECOND-last character I unlocked... then I broke the targets with him and here comes Mewtwo. I really don't know the explaination for it.

Posted by Samusfreak

Mewtwo: play 40 hours in Multiplayer
Falco: play in Multi man Melee in the categorie 3minute Melee
Luigi: In Adventuremode has Luigi as enemy not Mario and win fast

I know more but I have to go now

PS: ARCSU I can't belive that Mr. Game & Watch was your Secondlast Charakter, he was my last Charakter!

Posted by Litbut

There's a 10,000, 100,000 and 1,000,000 VS Match text bonus if you care. Just thought I'd put it here.

Posted by Vbty3

Quoting Samusfreak: Mewtwo: play 40 hours in Multiplayer
Falco: play in Multi man Melee in the categorie 3minute Melee
Luigi: In Adventuremode has Luigi as enemy not Mario and win fast

I know more but I have to go now

PS: ARCSU I can't belive that Mr. Game & Watch was your Secondlast Charakter, he was my last Charakter!

Uh Samusfreak...

Mewtwo: Play 20 hours in V.S. mode
Falco: Play Multi Man Melee in 100 Man Melee mode ( I suggest using DK )
Luigi: In Adventure mode complete the first level with a 2 in the seconds meter, like 3:52:89

Posted by streak101

Who's Diskun?

Posted by Alastor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diskun

Wikipedia's your friend.