Large Hadron Collider...

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Surprised no one's posted a topic on this thingy yet:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/the-large-hadron-collider-end-of-the-world-or-***s-own-particle-921540.html

Basically, it could give us a better understanding of the Universe...or there's a miniscule possibility it could kill us all. Either way, should be fun!

Posted by Sapphire Rose

So did they fire it?

Edit:nvm

From wiki:
[quote=Wikipedia]September 2008

The first beam was circulated through the collider on the morning of 10 September 2008. CERN successfully fired the protons around the tunnel in stages, three kilometres at a time. The particles were fired in a clockwise direction into the accelerator and successfully steered around it at 10:28 local time. The LHC successfully completed its first major test: after a series of trial runs, two white dots flashed on a computer screen showing the protons traveled the full length of the collider. It took less than one hour to guide the stream of particles around its inaugural circuit. CERN next successfully sent a beam of protons in a counterclockwise direction at 14:59.

October 2008

The first high-energy collisions are planned to take place after the LHC is officially unveiled on 21 October 2008.

Posted by Stalolin

[quote=Grenade Grasshopper;882111]So did they fire it?

They activated it yesterday but they aren't actually sending anything all the way around until sometime in October.

Posted by O.T.L

I hope a black hole actually stabilizes and consumes the world.

Would be a pretty fun adventure.

Posted by cool gamer dad

Can't wait until they start experimenting. Should be interesting!

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Start a poll on whether or not we all die.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I think its awesome that humanity has come so far that we need to risk ending ourselves to find out anything else.

Posted by Zeta

Quoting Grenade Grasshopper: Start a poll on whether or not we all die.

GameFAQs had one the other day. I think the majority vote was nothing is going to happen.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Nothing will happen, but it would be an interesting way to go. I don't believe we actually know what happens within a black hole or what happens when you "exit" it and personally I find that more interesting.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Now I WANT there to be a black hole. Unless it kills us all. I need that valuable time for Fallout 3.

Not like we'd know if it kills us.

Posted by O.T.L

what if a black hole is a passage way to another time or demension. Whoa!

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I'm not sure if you guys will be able to read it or not right now, but there's a poster on the Something Awful forums who is working on LHC right now and has a huge FAQ thread up about it:

[URL]http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2924802[/URL]

Super way cool read. Also, some chick in India killed herself over the possibility of the LHC ending the world. Jeeeez.

Holy ****, does SA load that slowly all the time?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

It seemed to load okay for me. Though that OP is stuffed with images and ****.

That wouldn't slow it down, must've been a hiccup or something. Anyways, read most of it and it's actually a pretty interesting read. Lots of stuff you never hear about by just watching the news or whatever, obviously. Also, here's the bit about it destroying the world for anyone too lazy:

Quoted post: The LHC is going to produce things physicists have never before seen, but in a lot of cases we hope it will produce things we've predicted. Recently a number of somewhat unsavoury attention whores have misled the media and general public with a campaign based on the possibility that we may produce something truly dangerous. There have been numerous arguments against these 'doomsday scenarios', all from physicists a good deal smarter than me. Here is my take on the subject though:

It was originally considered that the LHC may produce micro black holes. These would be black holes smaller than atoms. Of course, knowing that a black hole is not something you want to get too close to, this drew a lot of scaremongering. The truth is that black holes must be produced at a certain size before they are capable of growing on their own by attracting more matter. That size was estimated in a recent paper to be larger than the mass of our sun. Anything smaller and they just sit there evaporating until they are no more. The smaller the hole, the faster the evaporation. We expected anything the LHC could have produced to live for a few femtoseconds before disappearing. As it turns out, another recent paper provides convincing proof that black holes are not likely to be produced at the LHC at all....

There are other supposed dangers, namely magnetic monopoles and strangelets. In both cases the theory on which these exotic forms of matter have been based is a little crackpotish, and numerous conterarguments have been put forward. To paraphrase Prof. Frank Close of Oxford University's High Energy Physics dept, "The LHC isn't going to end the world. If it does, you can sue me."

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

yeah, kinda sucks that there's no real risk to it

Yeah, it really is. I've read a few things about black holes in the past, but I figured it would grow no matter the size. But I also didn't realise the black holes it could produce would be so small. Didn't think they'd disappear so ****ing quick too.

Woulda been an interesting ride...

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

now we just have a bunch of light spinning round a big tube

lame

Posted by Ant

am I the only person who gets annoyed by people who say that this thing was/still is going to "END THE WORLD LOL"?

am I the only one that reads "large hardon collider"?

and no. Not annoying as much as it is kinda funny.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

No. Also pretty irritating that the news of the LHC being switched on was on page 14 of the newspaper today, behind a bunch of ****ty politics and celebrity news.

Posted by #061402

http://lhc-live.com/

Hey, you can check it out here and see what is going on in there!

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

a black hole would grow a lot faster than that

but lol anyway

Oh man, a parking lot!

Posted by Ant

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: am I the only one that reads "large hardon collider"?

I said that before somewhere, but no you are not alone, I always read it like that.

Posted by #061402

Isn't that one of the biggest jokes with the LHC anyway?

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

[quote=Ant;882378]I said that before somewhere, but no you are not alone, I always read it like that.

Clicked the link expecting something about hardons. Beams, etc

Sure, sure, laugh at the name of the gigantic scientific device. None of you consider that someone had to grow up with that name in order for the device to be named after them.

In any case, there's all sorts of thing other than black holes that could be produced that could end the world, or other particles could interract with the micro black holes in unexpected ways that destroy the Earth. I'm not really concerned about it, though. I'm not the one who's going to have to face God and his Divine Facepalm of Supreme Justice when the experiments go pear-shaped, after all. I'll just be among the innocent victims who get to enjoy the afterlife without all of that messy aging nonsense I haven't been looking forward to all that much, anyway.

*** would hand us all over to satan for being idiots anyways. too ashamed to let us even enter heaven. failed experiment.

Posted by #061402

Naw dude, haven't you heard? All you have to do is be/act remorseful and you're home free!

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Wouldn't *** be happy that we're exploring the world he created for us and using our minds instead of just sitting here all like 'hurrrr the lord shall save yeeee'?

Quoting #061402: Naw dude, haven't you heard? All you have to do is be/act remorseful and you're home free!

That's what most people think about Catholicism. There's a catch to that, though: You have to mean it.

Quoting The X: Wouldn't *** be happy that we're exploring the world he created for us and using our minds instead of just sitting here all like 'hurrrr the lord shall save yeeee'?

On one hand, sure. On the other hand, if our best and brightest minds don't understand what they're doing enough to not destroy the Earth, what's that say about the rest of us? On the mutant third hand, just because they've got all of the smarty brains of the human race doesn't mean they're the most intelligent people on Earth.

Posted by #061402

Quoting Prince Shondronai: That's what most people think about Catholicism. There's a catch to that, though: You have to mean it.

Tell me one person who wouldn't mean it if they really stood before the choice of eternal suffering or floating around on fluffy clouds.

You don't get to apologize after you're dead, even if you mean it. That's why suicide is regarded as a mortal sin in the Caholic Church. You're taking a life, and you have no time to be remorseful for it. Besides, sniveling fear is not the same thing as an honest desire to be forgiven and change your ways.

Posted by ExoXile

[quote=Prince Shondronai;882791]Besides, sniveling fear is not the same thing as an honest desire to be forgiven and change your ways.
I often think that is what Christianity is trying to achieve, however.

Posted by #061402

Quoting Prince Shondronai: You don't get to apologize after you're dead, even if you mean it.

So? Most people don't know this. Let people be on their merry way and think so. Ignorance is bliss, as you might have heard. :p:

Quoting ExoXile: I often think that is what Christianity is trying to achieve, however.

Christianity is only trying to scare the evil out of people too stupid to understand the real principles of the religion (i.e. a good 90% of the Earth's population). Real Christianity is 95% about how you live your life, and 5% what's going to happen to you when you die.

Quoted post: So? Most people don't know this. Let people be on their merry way and think so. Ignorance is bliss, as you might have heard.

No. Ignorance is only bliss for the ignorant. For the rest of us, it's Hell on Earth.

Posted by ExoXile

[quote=Prince Shondronai;882835]
No. Ignorance is only bliss for the ignorant. For the rest of us, it's H[COLOR=white]e[/COLOR]ll on Earth.
Doesn't change the fact that it is bliss.

Not for me. Therefore, it isn't.

Posted by ExoXile

'Cause ignorance is bliss, right?

Posted by #061402

Quoting Prince Shondronai: Ignorance is only bliss for the ignorant.

That's what I meant, albeit perhaps I did not make it clear enough.

So yeah, it's been renamed to Halo.

Pretty obvious choice, but a good one. Better than hardon collider.

Posted by Zeta

Laaaaaaame.

Posted by ExoXile

COPYRIGHTSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Yeah, Microsoft holds the rights to the word Halo.

Posted by ExoXile

I was being facetious, dummy.