What do you want to be when you grow up?

Posted by Kamek

After reading the thread on the kid who dropped out of school to play guitar hero, it made me wonder what everyone here on VGC wants to do when they grow up. I know this thread must have been done before, and if it has delete it, I've been out of the loop. I'm just wondering what everyone's aspirations are for the future.

Posted by Klarth

A real boy.

Posted by Xero

I'm planning on becoming a teacher or a DJ. Not sure which one I'll go for yet.

Posted by Kamek

Quoting Xero: I'm planning on becoming a teacher or a DJ. Not sure which one I'll go for yet.

If I were you I'd make DJ-ing my side thing. I know quite a few people who do this and have their regular job and make a pretty nice amount of money with that as a side hustle. Teaching is cool =].

Posted by Xero

Sad thing is that I don't know what I really want to teach yet. I've always been told that I'm good with kids and I explain things well, but I didn't out which subject I like enough (and master enough) to teach it later on. I'm thinking about history right now, but I change my mind a lot these days. I'll see.

As for being a DJ, I want to play IDM and make that kind of music and the unfortunate thing is that the audience for this kind of music is very rare, so I'm not sure I'd make a lot of $$$ with this kind oj job. But I definitely like your "side thing" idea. I might consider that :)

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I want to be a child advocacy lawyer, and throw pedophiles and child abusers in jail. That or something with international law and make assloads of money. It's a choice of being poor and fighting the good fight or being rich and doing something I'd enjoy. Tough choice.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I want to be in the military and get paid ****tons of money to do nothing.

Mission accomplished.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

i want to be a doodad twiddler

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

More or less already doing it. Can't think of an easier job that pays as well and doesn't require extra schooling.

Which was always my dream. Easy, but good money.

Posted by Kutlass

i haven't put much thought into that at all. what i want and aspire to do seems to change daily.
so pretty much whatever i feel like i wanna do when i wanna do it. let the chips fall where they may.

Posted by Red

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: More or less already doing it. Can't think of an easier job that pays as well and doesn't require extra schooling.

Which was always my dream. Easy, but good money.

which is?

Posted by Stalolin

I just want to be happy.

Posted by mis0

I want to be a business executive, which I'm going to school for now. Further down the road, I'd like to be a university professor. The business school has some really cool professors who have a regular job and teach on the side. These people love what they do and love to teach it. I'd like to do the same once I'm able to.

Posted by Jesse Smith

I wanna be a wacko, driving wacko haters insane!!! Oh, wait, I already am!!!

Quoted post: which is?

computers

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

usin' RAMs as screwdrivers and piratin spore hells yeah

Posted by Y2kMISFIT

Moving up the ladder as a UPS employee and as a teamster. WHAT CAN BROWN DO FOR YOU!!??

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

since Klarth is selectively anal about it, I will point out that this does not reference any vgchat members and thus should not be in the community board.

Posted by Dexter

Like Barry B. Benson, I don't want to do just one job for the rest of my life. I like my lifestyle being in a constant state of transitioning. I'll get bored doing one activity for too long. I'm probably going to fall into some psychology related job for awhile, like a sensory deprivationist or something interesting like that. And I'll most likely end up doing something related to writing, like screenwriting or technical writing.

And this thread is about us so it does belong in community. Threads about others and/or ourselves can be in here.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: since Klarth is selectively anal about it, I will point out that this does not reference any vgchat members and thus should not be in the community board.

i agree

Posted by Kamek

I put this thread in here because the community board is the most "personal" board on VGC and I think it's a question dealing with the character of our community.

Anyway, it took me a while to figure out what I wanted to do with my life, but toward the end of last year I think I've settled on becoming a doctor. I know it's extremely competitive and a lot of work, but I really do want to help people and I think I'm willing to make the sacrifices. I just hope the next two years of undergrad + MCATs are favorable to me.

Posted by Mystic Hero

I'm tied between either becoming a physicist or going into engineering management. I've also been thinking about going into the nanotech field. Too many choices for me to decide right now so I'm just taking the required courses for now and eventually I will weed out my least favorite options.

Posted by David M. Awesome

I think I'd like to make graphic novels, and at night tend bar since being an artist is **** for paying bills. When I get older I'd like to be an art teacher.

Quoted post: I will point out that this does not reference any vgchat members and thus should not be in the community board.

It's about the vgc community. Thus, community board.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=David M. Awesome;883151]I think I'd like to make graphic novels, and at night tend bar since being an artist is **** for paying bills. When I get older I'd like to be an art teacher.Mark Millar (Wanted, Ultimates, Red Son) talked about this once when I went to see him at a local event. He's rich as **** and sends his kids to private school and could easily move into a penthouse in the city center. He's a writer, but it's the same deal for artists. He only writes maybe five or six stories a year. Probably even richer now that he's done consulting on Iron Man and gets royalties off the Wanted movie.

Although you'd probably have to be pretty amazing and stick in for a long time to get to that level.

Posted by David M. Awesome

I can only pray that I'll be as amazing as Mark Millar.

go into massage therapy. Girl I know just got certified a few months back and gets 45 bucks an hour. Ends up making so much money she only works three days a week now.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Eh, despite having met him in person four or five times, I think he's only a decent writer. Red Son and the Ultimates were amazing reimaginings, but a lot of his stuff isn't as good. His writing on the Civil War main series, Cap speech aside, made the registration heroes seem like villains and the underground ones look like the only good guys when really it should have been a dead balance. Plus, Wanted is a horrible mess of a comic.

Posted by Ambellina

I plan on becomeing a History teacher.

Posted by Kendra, Warrior Babe

Oh, I don't know. I have several ideas, I guess...
Teacher: Probably English, or History.
I'd like to be a professor of some sort in theology or folklore, but I'm not exactly sure what they do. Lecture, maybe? Teach? Study? Write?
Probably get married, somewhere along the line, have a child or two and raise them to be the kind of bat**** person that does, in fact, know everything. You all know the type.
Make graphic novels, either writing or drawing or producing. That's the one I'm actually working for right now.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Quoting Kendra, Warrior Babe: You are not John Munch. Get over yourself.

And who the **** are YOU to critique my career aspirations?

Oh, what the hell? Honestly, I thought you were kidding - considering the masses of "SVU" fanchildren you see on the internet nowadays... Sorry.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I don't want to be an investigator. It'd be more like a social worker. I'm already in law school, and as NOBODY wants to do this type of thing (poor pay) it's not hard to find a job doing it. No worries.

Quoted post: I'd like to be a professor of some sort in theology or folklore, but I'm not exactly sure what they do. Lecture, maybe? Teach? Study? Write?

They do what every professor does. Namely the three things you mentioned.

Posted by Ch

I've always wanted to be a musician. I've been playing stringed instruments since I was 6 and continue doing so. Being a touring and money-making bass player always sounded unrealistic to me so I never put much thought into it, until I found underground Hardcore.

Sounds lame, but I really think theres a shot at making it work. I personally know members from bands like Ceremony, Verse, and Have Heart, which all three are signed to Bridge9 Records. It's really easy to "get big" in hardcore and tour the world.

If not I'll just open a prime sandwich shop or become a luthier.

Become a luthier? That would be awesome. Of the several that I've met, though, they all look like Santa Claus... fat, jolly, grey hair and a beard. Even the one who is a woman. Or maybe its Charlie Daniels...? Dunno.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

I'm probably going to end up doing medical research, but working DNA in a crime lab would be pretty sweet.

Posted by coromoro

I'm gonna be a musician and/or a transpersonal psychologist. :cool:

Posted by junior senior

im gonna be a princess

Posted by Foppy D

I am currently living the life as a juvenile corrections officer.

It's better than an adult jail because kids are easier to manhandle.

Posted by Foppy D

Quoting Ambellina: I plan on becomeing a History teacher.

Well, that's about the ONLY use for a history major.

Posted by Dexter

All these kids who want to be teachers need more imagination.

Posted by Y2kMISFIT

You don't make graphic novels.... it's very rare anyways... comic books (issues) are collected into graphic novels after all of the issues are released in an arch. So instead of hunting down say 6 issues they are conveniently gathered in one book for you usually with some extras. Yes, watchmen had issues. So if anyone says they want to write graphic novels, no.

rip- Captain America

Posted by Pit

im a legal studies major, so I plan to go to law school after im done at school

Posted by Trigger

When I grow up, I want to be famous, I want to be a star, I want to be in movies. When I grow up, I want to see the world, drive nice cars, I want to have groupies. When I grow up, be on TV, people know me, be in magazines.

FRESH AND CLEAN, THE NUMBER ONE CHICK WHEN I STEP OUT ON THE SCENE.

(I hope the song is in your head now. Mwahaha.)

I thought it was boobies, not groupies. or whatever word it was.

THE MORE YOU KNOW

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting The X: Eh, despite having met him in person four or five times, I think he's only a decent writer. Red Son and the Ultimates were amazing reimaginings, but a lot of his stuff isn't as good. His writing on the Civil War main series, Cap speech aside, made the registration heroes seem like villains and the underground ones look like the only good guys when really it should have been a dead balance. Plus, Wanted is a horrible mess of a comic.

Ugh!

Well, you are only a decent writer.

Anyway, I recommend Mark Millar fans check out Kick-***, his current pet project, and Wolverine: Old Man Logan. He's also writing Fantastic Four with Bryan Hitch, so it's the Ultimates team together again (and while it's great, it's not that Millar-awesome)! I will say though, Superman: Red Son is one of his best works, which surprised me, because it's a relatively "older" book of his, so I assumed Millar was probably not as good back then as he is now.

Oh, and I'm a Game Designer, so I'm almost there on "what I want to be when I grow up." Once I'm a Creative Director, and making my own kickass games, I'd say that would be it.