DSL useage limits

Posted by Lord of Spam

http://blog.wired.com/business/2008/08/comcast-twitter.html

Most ISPs are setting limits on internet useage. Thoughts?

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Bound to happen sooner or later, but the bandwidth caps are pretty laughable. Comcast users are saying they have a cap of 250 gigs and that's the biggest ISP in America. So if they have a problem with that then they're exactly who the ISPs are trying to shut down.

Though I highly doubt the providers' reasons for introducing caps has anything to do with pirates, as they say. Sounds like they're trying to make more money off their other products if anything.

Plus, this is only happening in cities where an ISP holds a monopoly (like my city.) If there's competition you're safe.

Posted by mis0

Quoting Lord of Spam: http://blog.wired.com/business/2008/08/comcast-twitter.html

Most ISPs are setting limits on internet useage. Thoughts?

They want more of your dollars, pretty simple. Though, what we have now is sorta like the cheap oil of the 1960's. We have abundant international bandwidth because of stuff like the transcontinental fiber-optic lines which are still underutilized. In the future, as traffic increases and if the infrastructure doesn't keep pace, caps may be more legitimate because bandwidth will be at a premium and demand may well be greater than supply.

I'm lucky to live in a comcast-free suburb. Our small cable company has no bandwidth caps, reasonable prices, and very fast cable. <3

Thing is, the caps are more than reasonable. Most people won't even reach ten gigs a month let alone 100 or 250. Why people are complaining I don't know...

Posted by WillisGreeny

They still haven't really improved the effeciency for making fiber-optic cables either, so if they are going to continue downplaying satelites with groundwires (which seems to be the ongoing trend) then I have little doubt people won't get charged for it.

Posted by mis0

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Thing is, the caps are more than reasonable. Most people won't even reach ten gigs a month let alone 100 or 250. Why people are complaining I don't know...

There were a few different companies doing 5GB caps. I'm sure plenty of people hit those.

Everything I've read about has listed caps over 10 gigs, but I'm not doubt you. And yeah, five gigs is a tad unreasonable. But I've seen more outrage directed towards Comcast than anyone else (they're the biggest company, sure, but one on of the better caps.)