interested in the tourney fag set up lately?

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=Magenta][COLOR=black]For stages, I'm assuming that the ones with starter/counter means that they are standard first pick stages in team matches but you include it as a counter stage in 1 vs 1. The ones in counter will be included as counters in both in 1 vs 1 and teams. The counter/banned are only banned in 1 vs 1 and allowed in team matches. Then the rest are just banned.

Either that, or the person running the tournament is supposed to move stages from the starter/counter into starter and putting the rest in counter. The ones from counter/banned are moved from that list into the counter list and leaving the rest banned. They both sound good to me. I'm more for the second.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Navy]Starter[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island

[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=Navy]Starter/Counter[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]
Castle Siege
Delfino
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue] Pok

Posted by S

Tourny fag is as tourny fag does.

Fine with me but I don't find brawl as balanced as melee. Maybe it was because people were never utterly cheap to me in melee though and chain-grabbed me to death.

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

I somehow got past the chain grabbing in melee. Usually a well timed super DI would throw them off by just a bit, enough to tech and fight back.

As for the rules, one I didn't see banned was infinites on ness and lucas. It seems that marth and lucario are some of the few that can infinitely grab either ness and lucas, or one and not the other in place, leaving them immobile. Waiting till they're at 300 isn't exactly fair either since they'll just die. Maybe in due time.

Posted by kyubikirby

Most people have agreed not to do grab-release infinates because it becomes boring really quick. even Ian agreed not to do the D3 infinite against my DK. the only exception I see is with ICs, because of the skill, and timing, and human error. Not infinitely CGing someone is mostly a sign of respect for the opponent.

Posted by Ant

no idea why Lylat Cruise wouldn't be allowed as just a starter stage.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

What's wrong with Eldin and Shadow Moses?

Posted by Corrupt

Quoting The X: What's wrong with Eldin and Shadow Moses?

[URL=http://imageshack.us][IMG]http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/7553/250pxdddjl1.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

what corrupt said

also, bridge of eldin, it seems that a high percentage of the time when the stage was selected, the time would run out. The time limit is there to make sure matches don't drag too long, not to make a match stretch to the very end of the time. The stages boundaries are far too large, and it being a walk off stage leaves the small fact that D3 can chain grab 2/3's of the cast into a dead end.

as for the lylat stage, unlike the other stages that have almost no ability in screwing up a match, the stage tilts, and the way the ledges are leads to few ****ed up deaths. I've died a lot on that stage and came to dislike it, I didn't think it would be a starter/counterpick.

shadow moses is a lockfest, the match will end up being one player racking up a lot of damage on another in a corner, or using their body as a handball until the wall breaks due to an attack missed, and then a good hit sending them flying.

as for the starters stages, it's really hard to say you lost a round due to the stage. It's easier to say that the castle changed when you were going to die, delfino plaza shifted perfectly when I just spiked you to what was supposed to be your death, you hit me into halberds massive canon or the stage shot up while I was hit on the ground and unable to recover, [FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]stage tilting during a recovery forcing you to hit the underpart of the stage on lylat, and pokemon stadium with the obvious excersice machine able to kill you if you're in the middle of an attack and holding down turning flipping you off the stage while you fastfall.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Why not ban chaingrabbing?

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

cause that would be a pain in the ***. easier to ban the stage.

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

[quote=The X;877727]Why not ban chaingrabbing?

Some characters can't chain grab as well as others for one, and the ones that don't will emphasize a game of maybe a hit grab/grab/hit/hit/grab in a combo. It isn't fair to ban chaingrabbing, but it also isn't fair for those characters that can do it well to be allowed to do it to 300%. It's hard to determine a limit to chaingrabbing, but I sure don't think its 300%

Stages like delfino are allowed, and it has a walk off and walls. The stage shifts though, not allowing one person to focus on one or two tactics; chaingrabbing off the stage to death or running around till the time runs out. In bridge of eldin, it's hard not to focus on those tactics when the stage is pretty **** big and easy to just stall a match till the game runs out of time.

Stages where a wall is a fudge cut like shadow moses, it isn't much of a chaingrab infinites off the wall as it is everything about the stage. That stage as I mentioned, becomes one person bouncing off into a wall. A smash attack that would kill is stopped by a wall, and having to knock down a wall to kill a person with another option that isn't up is not really possible. You can say "kill upwards" but the problem with that is, hey, if thats the only thing you can do, then what's the only thing they can do? You'll know what to avoid until your damage is so high that anything.

Posted by kyubikirby

Quoting The X: Why not ban chaingrabbing?

Because chaingrabbing is only a serious issue with walk-offs and walls with D3. by banning chain-grabbing you throw limitations on any character capable of CGs. by banning the problem stages, you can CG with whoever you wish without getting raped by it in a tournament. The only counter-pick I see as having issues is coneria. the permanent wall is abused by D3, D.K., and R.O.B.

tl;dr chaingrabbing is not the problem, the stages are.

Posted by S

I'd say chain-grabbing is a problem, because there is nothing more frustrating and debilitating than being incapable of doing anything while your percent is racked up. There is no sense of skill in it, just a miscalculation on the designer's part that is abused. And nothing infuriates me more than abusing that miscalculation because it literally makes the player nearly useless, and yes, it is an insult to the other player. It can destroy a good player's composure, and force them to lose the fight even if the chain-grab doesn't. And banning the stage does nothing but look over the problem, ban chain-grabbing and you won't have to be completely anal about certain stages.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: just a miscalculation on the designer's part that is abused.

I doubt the developers didn't catch the whole D3 chain-grabbing thing... it's impossible to miss.

Posted by kyubikirby

What it seems your problem is, is about infinites rather than CGs. CGs are limited by stage and damage. I agree truly infinite CGs should be banned, but not all CGs. even D3 can't CG you for too long on FD or battlefield, and it alone won't guarantee the match for him. I've beat Rupty's D3 on battlefield, every time he grabbed me, he CG'd to the edge. They are only crippling if you let it bother you.

With that said, infinites should be banned, not CGs.

Posted by S

300% is pretty much an infinite. Any smash can kill you at that point, which is no different from 999% except for a few attacks.

And I realize CGs don't all go to 300%, but the rule is 300%.

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

I'm assuming this was to cripple ness and lucas since I didn't see a ban on that? I could be wrong, though a lot of players as rupty's friend said will agree to not do that usually

Posted by O.T.L

Can a super DI stop a Falco chain grab? In Brawl.

Also what works when your trying to get out of a grab?

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

not getting grabbed, some people you fight against will be very persistent

as for falco, space yourself to a degree at low damages, once you hit 35 to 40, I think you're safe to go on the aggressive as his grab isn't as much of a chain if at all due to the bounce at that damage. I've DI'd away but just jamming away and upwards, due to the game having such a float system.