Took apart PSP, facing numerous problems, etc etc

Posted by maian

Alright, so several months ago, the fscking power switch on my PSP broke. I put off ordering a replacement for months and months, and I finally have it now.

...Well, when I took it apart so long ago, I guess something went wrong. In order to examine the power board and everything, I had to remove the pause button bar, the LCD, the metal frame thing inside, the power board, etc. Being very careful, I ultimately managed to get it all back on again.

Well, it's acting funny. =/ First off, I'll say that the D-Pad, after I took it apart, would just not go in the same way it used to. I never removed anything that was related to the D-Pad, but when it went back on, it felt like it was really sunk in and loose. I hot glued 0.5mm pieces of plastic under the D-Pad, and now it feels just like it used to.

But, the real problem is this, and it's mystifying me. I don't actually own any PSP games, I just used it for emulation. I found that when I have to set the time and date and stuff on the PSP, it acts completely normal. But any ROM I load up at all, the D-Pad goes crazy. In every game, the D-Pad is stuck on down+right. However, on the menu screen of the emulator, it's still fine. I figured it may just be the way I put the D-Pad in, but after two switches, it was still doing it. I finally removed the D-Pad completely, turned on a ROM, and it still was happening. Every game was just cursed with the D-Pad being stuck on down+right.

A couple of other things that I haven't taken the time to look into at all: The analog nub has no response, and my PSP doesn't load my SNES emulator anymore.

TL;DR PEOPLE:

-In every ROM I load, the D-Pad is stuck on down+right, but appears to work fine on non-game menus. Does this even when no D-Pad is even on the D-Pad receiver board.
-Analog nub stopped working
-PSP won't load SNES emulator, but is fine with GBC/GBA.

Can anyone help at all? At this point, I think my PSP is pretty much beyond full repair, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: I finally removed the D-Pad completely, turned on a ROM, and it still was happening. Every game was just cursed with the D-Pad being stuck on down+right.

Quoted post: I think my PSP is pretty much beyond full repair

Sure sounds like it.

Posted by maian

...Bah. Just realized it's not even the D-Pad at all. It's the fscking analog nub that's causing all the trouble. Makes sense. >_>

Unfortunately, I find that again, even with casing off and all that junk, it's still stuck on down+right. If I mess with it a little, it usually stops getting stuck on right, but it seems like it's ALWAYS stuck on down. Suggestions? However, I played a level of SMW, and found it's pretty playable if you just keep it moving. But really, I don't want to be cursed with an analog nub that doesn't function. =/

Posted by Klarth

Sell it for spare parts, wait for people to get CFW running on the 3000, buy up again.