Metallica- The Day That Never Comes

Posted by Admiral Anthrax

As cliche as it sounds, the old Metallica is back. One of the best songs I've heard by them - sounds like what should have come after And Justice For All, and it sounds like after St. Anger's minimalistic, repetitive crap, they went completely in the other direction after hiring Rick Rubin. They debuted the song on the local rock station yesterday, and it's been playing nonstop ever since.

http://www.myspace.com/metallica

Posted by Richaod

I like it, I guess. But it does sound kind of like a half-baked ballad with a less urgent, emotional shreddy One section tacked on the end. And it's too long.

Which is strange because Rick Rubin's known for cutting the excess out of songs. Anyway, it's apparently the most midtempo song on the album, and I guess they're trying to appease the fans with their first impression.

I didn't actually mind St. Anger. It definitely wasn't great (good?), but chuck an instrumental section onto The Unnamed Feeling and I probably would've liked it better than this.

Rick gave them extreme creative freedom on this one, just had them get the songs written and together first, and then record them all at once, whereas Rock basically had them make stuff up on the spot for St. Anger. They consolidated 50 hours of recorded jam sessions into one album, so they had a lot more to work with this time as opposed to with St. Anger. The solos are some of my favorites of any Metallica song.

Admittedly, though, the post-production done on Hetfield's voice is pretty entertaining. During the beginning, I could hear the pitch shifter applied to his voice so strongly, I started to think, "Metallica featuring T-Pain". heh

Posted by Klarth

I didn't know Metallica were a soft rock band.

Song's ****ing terrible. Hetfield's voice is more artificial-sounding than most other radio crap out there. Instrumental section is boring and contrived. Production is nightmarish. I'll reserve judgement for the rest of the CD.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Yeah, not sure how this sounds like old Metallica. It's like every other band that tries to go back to its roots. Ends up being a bastardized version of it.

And I mean old Metallica was bad enough.

[quote=netman;877116]I didn't know Metallica were a soft rock band.

Wassup, One/Fade to Black/Sanitarium?

Posted by Klarth

Compared to the big names in thrash today, they're nursery rhymes.

If only Death Angel had made it big instead.

Posted by Fragliche

Yeah, sorry Metallica-- try as you might to bring back your old sound, you're still going to be seen as moronic sellouts.

waaah people are stealing music

Posted by Shade

Unforgiven III could be alright... otherwise I probably won't even listen to the disc.

Posted by Omni

The other two weren't that great, so I doubt it.

Posted by Shade

I really liked them, so to each his own.

Posted by Omni

I dunno, James Hetfield's voice is really annoying, and Lars Ulrich has never been a good drummer. He even resorted to editing drum tracks on their older albums to sound better than he could really play, especially on "Dyers Eve" if I recall correctly.

My Apocalypse:
[youtube=lngybF6ldlk]lngybF6ldlk[/youtube]

Quoted post: James Hetfield's voice is really annoying

Such a terrible voice. How people like it I have no clue.

Posted by Empty_Void

Some of their stuff wasnt bad, the only album I actually like was Master of Puppets, and thats mainly because of the guitar work.