Bands or songs that used to annoy/irritate you, and then you found yourself liking em

Posted by Admiral Anthrax

You got any?

Posted by Scottamus Prime

System of a Down

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Matchbox Twenty, Vertical Horizon, and The Offspring.

Nostalgic value.

Posted by S

Tool and Schizm, Nine Inch Nails and Closer. Once I heard their other stuff, I started to really enjoy them though. Schizm still gives me the half-willies and Closer I can listen to without anything negative.

Posted by Admiral Anthrax

Dragonforce for me. They irritated the crap out of me at first, and then somehow I ended up growing to like them.

Ditto with Lil Wayne's "Lollipop" single, pre)thing's "Faded Love" and System of a Down's original single "Sugar".

Posted by Xero

Daft Punk and Squarepusher

As for songs: Lil Wayne's Lollipop, Gwen Stefani's Wind it Up (Yes, I actually dance to this song in clubs now). Those are the only 2 I could think of.

Posted by Corrupt

Wait, you of all people was once irritated by Daft Punk? Comes as a total surprise, honestly. I'm glad you like Squarepusher now as well, as I'm sure you remember me insisting that he wasn't all bad. ;)

As for me, I'm having a difficult time thinking of any examples, because it's usually the opposite in my case. Though I can say that some of Venetian Snares' other works got on my nerves at first purely because I was expecting another album similar to Rossz, but they all wound up growing on me immensely. In the case that a band/song does grow on me, there's usually no bridge separating the two opinions; I go from not liking/being annoyed by the song during the first or second listen, and then on the third or fourth listen something just clicks and I find myself loving it. Kinda peculiar.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Corrupt: Wait, you of all people was once irritated by Daft Punk? Comes as a total surprise, honestly. I'm glad you like Squarepusher now as well, as I'm sure you remember me insisting that he wasn't all bad. ;)

I used to think that Daft Punk made redundant unoriginal music for the longest time and would change the channel or the radio station everytime I'd hear one of their songs. But then Jen made me hear 3 songs by them on MSN and they slowly grew on me to a point where I wanted to hear full albums and see if they were better than I ever expected them to be and I was gladly surprised.

And after having heard Feed Me With Weird Things, I can't say that I hate Squarepusher anymore. That album is just so good. I still think that Wagon Christ and Amon Tobin are far better than he is. But I can stand some of his songs now :)

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Can't really think of a band that outright irritated me and then I suddenly liked them. Usually I just hear a band and if I'm not immediately sucked in I just move on. Though in many cases I come back to them and start enjoying the music once I give it a thorough listen. But that's pretty different I guess.

Posted by Zaith

Daft Punk and I think Battles I don't know some techno band Scott made us listen to and now I love it

Posted by Richaod

The Ting Tings.

Actually, I'm still not convinced that I'm even capable of forming an opinion on them at all. Maybe the singer's hotness has sucked me in.

Posted by G-Sides

between the buried and me. i first listened to Alaska and i thought it was grand up until the hardcoreness kicks in and then once it sped up, it sounded boring :S and then someone sent me Mordecai and i <3'd and listened to Alaska again and i <3'd and the rest is history.

Their softer sections are still the best parts though.

Posted by strahanned

I used to think Lil Wayne was really annoying, with that croaky-*** voice of his, and just thought he was garbage in general. That changed after actually paying attention to some of his lyrics..I think I got into him by listening to "I'm Me". Downloaded some mixtapes, The Carter series and started lovin' him.

Posted by Klarth

I spent a long time despising NIN. It started off a matter of taste, but I realised I was hating on Trent solely on principle a few years ago.

Also: Protest The Hero, In Flames, just about every metalcore band I'm into now.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I'm with klarth. I hated In Flames when I first heard em. Also applies to Dream Theater.

Posted by Shade

Hmm let's see here

Mercenary, In Flames, Agalloch, Ulver, Devin Townsend... pretty much anything Klarth sends me usually works out this way.

Posted by Omni

Ildjarn
Manilla Road
Bob Dylan
Killing Joke
Sunn O)))
Massive Attack

Quoted post: Mercenary, In Flames, Agalloch, Ulver, Devin Townsend... pretty much anything Klarth sends me usually works out this way.

Wow, you sure were once a faggot.

Posted by Zeta

Ashlee Simson's "La La".

**** YOU ELITE BEAT AGENTS, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME!?

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Shade: Hmm let's see here

Mercenary, In Flames, Agalloch, Ulver, Devin Townsend... pretty much anything Klarth sends me usually works out this way.

that's because i know my **** and you are unresponsive to the goods

also omni what how did you dislike killing joke

that is inhuman.

Posted by Shade

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Wow, you sure were once a faggot.

Those were my "dream theater is the only good band" days

yeah, which is basically what I just said.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

remember VGC used to house about 90% of the dream theater fanclub? good times

Posted by Klarth

thanks to decapitt

man I remember when raptor would get really irritated that there were all these kids enjoying the same thing as him

i trolled him pretty hard by buying the coffee he was jizzing over, i don't think he ever mentioned it again afterwards

Posted by Richaod

Quoting netman: thanks to decapitt

man I remember when raptor would get really irritated that there were all these kids enjoying the same thing as him

i trolled him pretty hard by buying the coffee he was jizzing over, i don't think he ever mentioned it again afterwards

He was the reason I first downloaded Under a Glass Moon. So he was entirely to blame.

Posted by punk4trev

I really hated Justin Timberlake's Sexy Back, but now i like it whenever I hear it.

Posted by Apathetic

****ty punk is always a turn off. Plus all the fags who listen to it.

Posted by kinderwords

I used to rag on Avenged Sevenfold for their older stuff. Then I fell in love with City of Evil(don't judge based on Bat Country). And now I hate them again with this self titled album crap. Kinda like How i used to hate Shinedown, and now i can tollerate them.

Quoted post: I used to rag on Avenged Sevenfold for their older stuff. Then I fell in love with City of Evil

Wait, what? Their older stuff was way better.

Posted by kinderwords

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Wait, what? Their older stuff was way better.

Sounding the Seventh Trumpet was ****. It was way to out of sync with the hardcore skate punk genre that they were trying to pull. Waking the Fallen, has a few decent songs. I fell in love with City of Evil. Probably one of my favorite albums of all time. And this new CD is just flat out dog ****.

Quoted post: Probably one of my favorite albums of all time.

Oh, so you lack taste in music. Okay.

Though I'm guessing you just don't like harsh vocals or something.

Posted by Klarth

he likes trivium

it's ok, leave him to stand against the burning tides of the washing away of the martyr strings of the wounds of trepidatory gunshots

Posted by Shade

[quote]Kinda like How i used to hate Shinedown, and now i can tollerate them.

[quote]Wait, what? Their older stuff is way better.

Posted by kinderwords

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Oh, so you lack taste in music. Okay.

Though I'm guessing you just don't like harsh vocals or something.

No i actually listen to all kinds of metal. like amon amarth, children of bodom, kataklysm, sonic syndicate, soilwork, all that remains, kalmah, mezarkabul, in flames, trivium, as i lay dying, wintersun, and many many more.

Posted by Klarth

::i listen to all kinds of metal::

::long list of metalcore/harsh power bands::

Posted by kinderwords

Quoting netman: ::i listen to all kinds of metal::

::long list of metalcore/harsh power bands::

note that i also stated "many many more"

And maybe 2 or 3 of those bands are metalcore. therefore... you lose

Quoted post: No i actually listen to all kinds of metal. like amon amarth, children of bodom, kataklysm, sonic syndicate, soilwork, all that remains, kalmah, mezarkabul, in flames, trivium, as i lay dying, wintersun, and many many more.

Well I got a good chuckle out of that.

Posted by kinderwords

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Well I got a good chuckle out of that.

and your point is?

Posted by Klarth

[quote]And maybe 2 or 3 of those bands are metalcore. therefore... you lose
two or three. or four. maybe five. or six.

not really lending credence to your "all kinds of metal" assertion when you've listed barely three genres. not that telling people you like a diverse range of metal says much about your openmindedness in general...

i enjoy a fair few of the bands you listed (except trivium and aald), but you are being silly nonetheless

Posted by kinderwords

Quoting netman: two or three. or four. maybe five. or six.

sonic syndicate
all that remains
soilwok
trivium
as i lay dying
in flames

not really lending credence to your "all kinds of metal" assertion when you've listed barely three genres. not that telling people you like a diverse range of metal says much about your openmindedness in general...

i enjoy a fair few of the bands you listed (except trivium and aald), but you are being silly nonetheless

well would you like me to list dimmu borgir, napalm death, iced earth, job for a cowboy, dragonforce, avenged sevenfold, disarmonia mundi, destroy destroy destroy, insomnium, after forver ,lacuna coil,
nortt, burzum, andything else?

Posted by Klarth

[quote]well would you like me to list dimmu borgir
no, not really

just stop

Posted by kinderwords

Oh ***, i almost forgot that you are the *** of all opinions, and that no one elses matters. seriously dude, your a boy to me, and a narcistic malenthope. which equals nothing. and you listen to doom metal, which is the worst of all. ****ing faggot. your opinions don't matter.

Posted by Klarth

the internet

Posted by Shade

Kinderwords you're acting a lot like that guy in signature.

Posted by Omni

Quoting kinderwords: and you listen to doom metal, which is the worst of all.

Get out of this site. Seriously.

Posted by kinderwords

Quoting Omni: Get out of this site. Seriously.

naw im comforatable where im at. ive posted on this site 4 years ago. and as far as im concerned, my opinions count as much as anyone elses. i have done nothing wrong. im posting my opinions, that you think is wrong, but i dont care. and you will learn that. and as for shade and omni, the fact is, i could care less. the fact that i dont have enough posts as you means that i cant post my opinions. thats cool. i mean, your a bunch of net geeks that i could care less about, but i was just posting my opinion toward netman, and his fag *** doom metal that i have been researching. i really dont care what anyone has to say. MY OPINION, JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSES!

P.S. I LOVE METAL, JUST NOT DOOM, OR BLACK METAL

the only consistently good forms of metal

Posted by kinderwords

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: the only consistently good forms of metal

i mean, i could go on and on and on. as long as it satisfies netman for this board. oh ***, netamn i dream of your tastes everynight.

k

Posted by Richaod

Used to hate Goldfrapp after hearing Strict Machine once when I was considerably less open-minded, but now I'm really getting into them. Also Madonna - Ray of Light is a great album.

kinderwords: if you really do listen to a wide variety of metal then prove it (with more namedropping than you just did). :)

Posted by Klarth

dude, man, almost everything is an opinion. very few things are objective. take the word for a ride all you want; I can't grant you more common sense than you already have.

also, it's not really appropriate to accuse people of being "net geeks" when you're on the very same internet as them, is it? (not that there's anything wrong with being so. :))

besides, now you're just plain missing the point, you human stain. you're acting like an overzealous thirteen year old. chill the **** out.

Posted by Klarth

also, it's "couldn't care less"

Posted by David M. Awesome

It's mostly the other way around for me. I like bands and then I end up hating them after listening to them for a while. I can't think of anything that I used to hate and then started liking later on.

Posted by netman

Hmm, for me its not bands as much as it is a genre.

For those that know me know i used to be all OMG METAL IS THE BEST GENRE AROUND and im partly responsible for a lot of the metal trends that hit.

During that time I tended to avoid all genres of rock immenselt.. post-rock, indie rock, prog rock, shoegaze, etc.

But now im slowly making my way into the genre, and ******* theres some amazing stuff there.

Mew, Muse, Starsailor, Stellastarr*, Mother Mother, The Strokes, Pinback, and so much more, all bands that a few years ago I would've instantly disliked and went back to my power metal.

Sometimes an open mind is a good thing.

Posted by Klarth

and how many of those am i responsible for decapitt :*

Posted by netman

3!

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Darkthrone.

No thanks to Vamp.

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

i didn't have much of an appreciation for the beatles until recently. i mean, their contributions were plainly obvious, but i really wasn't much of a fan. classic rock in general i didn't have much of a liking for, but that's changing more as i get older, or something.

i recall that i really disliked...going through my library...cat power, death cab, dir en grey, and venetian snares, but i've since become a large fan of them all. i enjoy keeping things diverse much like everyone else, i'm sure :o

Posted by jerry

I really love Justin Timberlake's Sexy Back, and i feel better whenever I hear it.

Posted by Tyler Durden

[quote=kinderwords;893163]No i actually listen to all kinds of metal. like amon amarth, children of bodom, kataklysm, sonic syndicate, soilwork, all that remains, kalmah, mezarkabul, in flames, trivium, as i lay dying, wintersun, and many many more.

Trivium? Metal?
Hahahaahardly.. They're Metalliclones at best, and that's no great feat of accomplishment.

This kid needs to begin with Venom and Mayhem (Burzum if he's feeling pussy enough) and work his way to the near/present.. maybe drown his mother in some sounds of Sodom or Vader and then try a little Cock And Ball Torture with a hint of A Black Rose Burial and maybe a touch of Despised Icon. Then if he's feeling really antsy- punish himself with B

Trivium is metal. Just because it sucks doesn't exempt it from the genre, otherwise there'd only be a handful of metal bands.

And Venom sucks. most of those bands do

Posted by Tyler Durden

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;898835]And Venom sucks. most of those bands do

I know Venom sucks, seemed like the proper choice to fit in with that kid's flavor.. *wink wink*.

Posted by Klarth

[QUOTE=Tyler Durden;898829]Trivium? Metal?
Hahahaahardly.. They're Metalliclones at best, and that's no great feat of accomplishment.

This kid needs to begin with Venom and Mayhem (Burzum if he's feeling pussy enough) and work his way to the near/present.. maybe drown his mother in some sounds of Sodom or Vader and then try a little Cock And Ball Torture with a hint of A Black Rose Burial and maybe a touch of Despised Icon. Then if he's feeling really antsy- punish himself with B

Posted by Foppy D

Mine's Fall Out Boy.

Posted by kinderwords

Quoting Tyler Durden: I know Venom sucks, seemed like the proper choice to fit in with that kid's flavor.. *wink wink*.

wow arent you a hardass. your 5 years older than me and your calling me kid? anyways, trivium is metal to the max, whether you like it or not. same with slipknot and same with avenged sevenfold. just because it isnt like iced earth, slayer, maiden, or any classic **** like that doesnt mean its not metal. pull your head out of your *** hole and get over yourself. better yet, it isnt like any black metal or doom metal that you named.

Posted by Foppy D

took you long enough

Posted by Omni

Quoting kinderwords: wow arent you a hardass. your 5 years older than me and your calling me kid? anyways, trivium is metal to the max, whether you like it or not. same with slipknot and same with avenged sevenfold. just because it isnt like iced earth, slayer, maiden, or any classic **** like that doesnt mean its not metal. pull your head out of your *** hole and get over yourself. better yet, it isnt like any black metal or doom metal that you named.

Are you sure that you're not the person in your signature? The description sounds like you.

By the way, I like listening to the old Venom albums because they're really funny and have some very cool moments in my opinion.