The Force Unleashed

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/38410.html

okay, so maybe this game will own after all

not betting on it though

did you see that part where he turns an at-st into a cube

holy mother of yaddle

Posted by Y2kMISFIT

Who replies to their own post hahaha....

I am gonna rent it.....

when I have a free rental

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

The Leia model is ugly as ***. Looks like you get to **** up Bail Organa though.

Posted by Roger Smith

I hope your allowed to force pull a star destroyer out of the sky.

Or maybe it's just a lousy cutscene.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Just the fact that they included it is ****ing awesome. And yeah, I'm going to guess it's a cutscene. I can't see it actually taking part in gameplay.

Anywho, I'll wait until a demo/gametrailers review before I decide on if it's buyworthy.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

The demo is supposed to be out today, cant see it on the marketplace yet.

It's only 1 AM for MS right now. It'll likely be online later today, like around 6 AM PST or 8 AM.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

DONT THEY REALIZE THERE ARE EUROPEANS WHO WOULD REALLY LIKE TO PLAY THIS GAME :mad:

hahahaha... europe. Good one, dude.

oh hey, demo is up at 5 AM. Just under a gig.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

**** buying books for college man, I am so getting this instead.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[SIZE=7]THIS

GAME

OWNS[/SIZE]

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[SIZE=7]YOU CAN GRAB TIE FIGHTERS OUT OF THE AIR AND KILL **** WITH THEM OH MOTHER OF *** THIS IS THE ULTIMATE STAR WARS GAME OH MY ***[/SIZE]

I was sold the moment I threw a helper droid through the ****ing ship window. Not to mention being able to electrify your saber and have all these pretty badass combos.

Though I died three times :o

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

The QTE with the AT-ST was the only bad thing about it. Though I lol'd at the little Stormies falling out of it.

Gonna go play it. Again.

Yeah, the stormtroopers inside made it worthwhile.

My only complaint was that at the 2nd difficulty setting the AI was really, really dumb. A few times they weren't even facing me, and more than a few times they kept throwing grenades at each other. Maybe that's because of the difficulty setting, maybe not. Though I guess it isn't a big deal because, well ****, you smash stuff nonstop. Oh, and at the elevator part I went up and then went back down and three badguys decided to jump down only to fall to their death.

Oh, oh, and there should be a sound when you run out of force powers. Because I can't be assed to look up at the corner of the screen.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

There shouldn't even be a force gauge. Just straight up smashing ****.

Things I noticed second time round:
- just after the 'tie fighters incoming message', you can bend girders out of shape so they'll knock ships out of the air
- you can grip someone, impale them with your saber, then hold onto their corpse and use it as a spinning lightsaber body
- one of the messages that plays over the intercom is a big nod to the 'red 5 standing by' part of a new hope

Posted by Ant

wow, the demo is out already? how times flies. I'll have to try this.

Posted by Y2kMISFIT

can you kill voldo in it?

Posted by Roger Smith

HORRIBLE Vader impersonator. But other then that, the demo is pretty ****ing enjoyable.

Insta buy.

Vader is fine.

Quoted post: There shouldn't even be a force gauge. Just straight up smashing ****.

I was thinking the same, but it fills up near instantly so it's not a huge deal. Though, can you block and walk at the same time?

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Later in the game after leveling maybe.

Posted by Ant

yeah after playing it the controls kinda suck.

wait, what? the controls are the exact same as basically every third person game.

Or maybe I just played a lot of PsyOps last generation.

Posted by O.T.L

I downloaded the demo, ****ing badass!

Posted by Ant

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: wait, what? the controls are the exact same as basically every third person game.

Or maybe I just played a lot of PsyOps last generation.

he feels clunky and slow. perhaps I expect too much from a jedi apperentence. and the way you move items when you have them in your grasp is kind of a *****.

Posted by Roger Smith

Quoting Ant: he feels clunky and slow. perhaps I expect too much from a jedi apperentence. and the way you move items when you have them in your grasp is kind of a *****.

At best, it feels slightly airy. But then again, the items ARE in the air. But yeah like vamp said, it's almost exactly like PsyOps.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

I thought the same thing about it being like PsyOps. Was half expecting Cold to make a "With the Force" video.

That's okay by me. I loved PsyOps.

Posted by Stalolin

I TOLD YOU GUYS IT WAS GOING TO BE AWESOME

yeah that's right

stalolin : 1

everybody else : billions

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;876123]I was thinking the same, but it fills up near instantly so it's not a huge deal. Though, can you block and walk at the same time?No, you can't even dash, which is pretty stupid. No strategic advantage to blocking like that unless it's a duel.

The Vader voice sounds fine, but the actor's delivery of a few lines was un-Vadery. I think the script was a little too verbose. Vader usually uses as few words as possible.

I have the full plot synopsis, if anyone wants me to post it. The ending is so bad.

Quoted post: That's okay by me. I loved PsyOps.

Indeed. It really needs its own sequel. Unless Force Unleashed has a training room like PsyOps did. Because I sunk so many hours in that one mode.

Quoted post: No, you can't even dash, which is pretty stupid. No strategic advantage to blocking like that unless it's a duel.

Yeah, blocking only seems to allow you to fill up your power bar. Though if you walk you can block anything coming towards your front it seems. Your back is left open from the looks of it though. It's just a shame that the block animation is so lame, whereas the walking-block animation is awesome (deflects the blast away casually with his hand)

Quoted post: The ending is so bad.

Sigh. No surprises there I guess.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

SPOILERS[spoiler] starkiller is one of the founding members of the rebel alliance and helps lead an assault on the emperor's tower on coruscant. he defeats and almost kills darth vader in a lightsaber duel, then is able to crush palpatine against a wall and steal his lightsaber. realizing there's no escape, he uses the force to explode himself and almost destroys the emperor's tower[/spoiler]

The Force Unleashed is sponsored by FANFICTION.NET

Posted by Shade

...What? K, not buying this game if that's what I have to look forward too.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

what kind of faggot doesnt buy a game because the story was ****

if i thought that way my game collection would have like 3 games in it

Posted by Shade

Story's a pretty huge factor in games for me. And the demo was just so-so for me to begin with.

you're in the wrong medium if you're looking for story. The best we have is, like, BioShock and that hardly compares to even mediocre books and the best movies.

not to mention this is star wars

Posted by Y2kMISFIT

your not going to get heavily story oriented games these days... it's all about online multilayer now a days. This game is not worth 60 bucks, like I said before a rental at best. Is there any replay at all??

Posted by maian

I hate it that so many people think games aren't worthwhile anymore because they're just a single player adventure. =/

I asked my friend about Force Unleashed and he said "not worth buying I'll just rent it because there's no trophies or online"

:(

Regardless, this demo was fscking SICK. I'm buying it first day. :cookie:

And, I'm not actually going to spoil myself with the story. I'm actually looking forward to the story, because I think it's a really interesting concept for Star Wars. I kind of know the ending's going to suck already though, because Starkiller obviously dies, and they probably go about doing that in a really stupid way. =/

Posted by Y2kMISFIT

Quoting maian: I hate it that so many people think games aren't worthwhile anymore because they're just a single player adventure. =/

I asked my friend about Force Unleashed and he said "not worth buying I'll just rent it because there's no trophies or online"

:(

single player games are amazing... I love um... but when they rock that $59.99 price tag... the line isn't so thin between buying and renting.

lol, trophies?? Your in the x box forum dude!!

Posted by maian

That's because thread maker somehow forgot that's it's multiplatform for every system, thus requiring me to post in here for this game. :cookie:

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

nobody cares about the ps3

Posted by maian

WHAT ABOUT THE WII?

oh wai lol

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

nobody's going to buy the wii version and nobody owns a ps3

xbox 360 wins........................ fatality

Posted by #061402

I heard the Wii version is going to have some kind of duel system and five extra levels..?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

but 5000 less enemies on screen to compensate

Posted by #061402

Just like Dead Rising!

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

congratulations you got the joke

Quoted post: but when they rock that $59.99 price tag.

Games used to be 80 bucks and multiplayer didn't exist back then.

And the Wii version has the extra levels because it looks ****ing terrible. You need to give people a reason to buy it, and extra content is about all the can do.

Posted by maian

$60 doesn't change much for me, especially since I work at Target. :cookie: That's a measly $10 more than they used to be, and they were like, $53 with tax.

I get 10% off of games at Target, so if you count that with tax, games are like...$56-$57 for me. Not bad.

Anyone know the length of the game anyways?

Posted by Y2kMISFIT

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Games used to be 80 bucks and multiplayer didn't exist back then.

yeh don't recall that time.... must of been a seaman or something....

why would you pay 60 bucks for a game you play and beat one time when you can rent it for 8 bucks or less.....

Posted by maian

Because some people play their games more than once. :cool2:

Posted by #061402

Quoting The X: congratulations you got the joke

You didn't.

Although Star Wars games tend to be at least somewhat long, so hopefully this game won't strive from that path.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Gonna play through it at least twice for DA POINTS

Posted by Y2kMISFIT

Quoting maian: Because some people play their games more than once. :cool2:

ok... ok... i give up... i will let you know what i think of the game when it's in the 20 dollar bin which will prolly be in 2 months or so... and than take a video of myself rubbing the 40 dollars i saved all over my body

Posted by maian

Not only do you win...we all do. SOUNDS HAWT

Quoted post: yeh don't recall that time.... must of been a seaman or something....

SNES through N64.

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: SNES through N64.
N64 games were never 80 bucks. $70 at the most, but I think the standard was $60. I don't remember the SNES days but I doubt games cost that much.

Anyway, I played the demo, the physics are amazing, but since I don't know/care about anything Star Wars, this is off my radar. Especially with the slew of good stuff in the coming months (Brothers in Arms anyone?)

Quoted post: N64 games were never 80 bucks.

yeah they were. All the big titles anyways.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Last Fog;880123] (Brothers in Arms anyone?)the amazing list of games coming out in Q4 and your first though is another ****ty WW2 FPS?

oh wow buddy

Brothers in Arms looks good. Especially considering the other 2 were great.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Still not that high on my HOLY **** GOOD GAMES list.

It's up there for me. I like squad games though.

Posted by Last Fog

I'm talking about September, you know, since Force Unleashed comes out in September. :/

Not the top choice, but it's up there.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

MERCS 2 WOOO YEAH

what comes out in september? October has Fallout...

we need to get a month-by-month thread together. Can't keep track of **** anymore.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Notable games for September:

Force Unleashed
Brothers in Arms
Rock Band 2
LEGO Batman
Guilty Gear 2
Silent Hill: Homecoming

Quoted post: Guilty Gear 2

The 3D adventure game? Notable? Looks ****ing terrible and I thought it bombed months back. And Silent Hill looks pretty disappointing. And I'm waiting on Rock Band for a few months.

Hurry up Fallout.

Posted by Last Fog

Fable is coming about before Fallout. And Far Cry 2 is right now set for mid October, which also looks incredible.

Oh ****, that's right. Far Cry 2 looks amazing. Man, gonna be good two months.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

fallout 3
fable 2
gears of war 2
far cry 2
lotr conquest

... what did i miss

Someone make a calendar thread for this coming holiday.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

A calendar thread? Like, a big list of dates for notable releases?

But monthly. Instead of that ****-up of that other thread, list them by month and then day, at least for the next 4 months.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

probably do it in the next couple of hours

good, cause I can't keep up with this ****.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Need a calendar thread period. Year round. Best at holidays, but it always helps to keep up with all the games all the time.

Posted by #061402

Sapphire has a pretty good idea there.

Posted by Skitzo Control

Thought the trailers and previews looked nice, and the demo was fun, but I'm going to have to agree with Misfit (sadly) on this one. Sorry, but I'll see it as a "rental" until I see some decent replayability.

Posted by Y2kMISFIT

Quoting Skitzo Control: Thought the trailers and previews looked nice, and the demo was fun, but I'm going to have to agree with Misfit (sadly) on this one. Sorry, but I'll see it as a "rental" until I see some decent replayability.

i love you too, no homo!!

Posted by Y2kMISFIT

Quoting Skitzo Control: Thought the trailers and previews looked nice, and the demo was fun, but I'm going to have to agree with Misfit (sadly) on this one. Sorry, but I'll see it as a "rental" until I see some decent replayability.

I love you too!! no homo

Posted by Speedfreak

Got the demo. Game blows. I like how I learnt a NEW TECHNIQUE when I had done bugger all with the ones I already had besides mashing them randomly. What's with the green orbs that fly straight to me? Why even render them at all? Go go modern game design.

Also, Darth vader sounds like a 19 year old American Star Wars geek doing a super serious impression through a voice modulator.

On the plus side, nice reflections. I give it 9/10, GOTY candidate.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Speedfreak;881847]Also, Darth vader sounds like a 19 year old American Star Wars geek doing a super serious impression through a voice modulator.Not that far off:
[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Sloan_%28director"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Sloan_(director)[/URL]

Posted by Y2kMISFIT

lolz they got the voice of "chad vader".... wow

Quoted post: I like how I learnt a NEW TECHNIQUE when I had done bugger all with the ones I already had besides mashing them randomly.

Quoted post: Got the demo.

maybe...

Quoted post: What's with the green orbs that fly straight to me? Why even render them at all?

health. they render them so, you know, you can go pick them up before they disappear.

Posted by Speedfreak

I'm not picking them up, they fly automatically towards me.

So wait, the demo gives you a new technique in the first 5 minutes so you can think THIS GAME GIVES ME NEW TECHNIQUES, I WILL ADD IT TO MY LIST OF THINGS THAT MAKE ME WANT THE GAME? They shouldve bmade a game that wasn't retarded then made a fun demo. The first half of any Megaman level was more fun than that crap.

Quoted post: I'm not picking them up, they fly automatically towards me.

Oh yeah, they totally do. Forgot.

Anywho, game looks fun enough for a solid rent. Yup.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Speedfreak;882243]THIS GAME GIVES ME NEW TECHNIQUES, I WILL ADD IT TO MY LIST OF THINGS THAT MAKE ME WANT THE GAME?i figure that was the point, yeah. i had no idea the game used a leveling up system that unlocked new techniques and **** until i saw it in-game.

speedfreak, king of game design

Yeah, not like that's a bad thing. Games have been doing it forever. Gives you a decent sense of progression.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Okay, got the game this afternoon, played the first three levels and the prologue. Everything about the way the game is set up is perfect. They choose the correct lemotifs and stock Star Wars sound effects for every scene and some of the design is seriously inspired (the unlocked concept art is actually impessive for once). The prologue level actually gave me a couple of shivers - marching through Kashyyyk as a stat-maxed Vader with the Imperial March was awesome, and the introduction of the Apprentice was kinda touching. His voice actor is pretty great. He doesn't deliver drama to lines that don't deserve them, making his whole ice cold Sith killa persona seem a little more believable.

The gameplay is a lot of fun, but right now I only have low level grip, lightning and push so my methods for dispatching enemies are kinda limited. A lot of the controls seem tighter and the section from the demo is pretty different in the final game, so I can only assume LucasArts were putting this demo together in advance.

The levels themselves are my main point of contention with TFU though. No puzzles, no creative use of the Force, just straight up blasting through bad guys like I'm playing DMC or Ninja Gaiden. I only seem to use the Force to get past obstacles or access new areas if I'm going for lightsaber crystals or other unlocks.

I'll wait until after I've beaten it, but this is definitely a good game. And an awesome one if you love Star Wars.

Posted by #061402

Even though this game is released tomorrow around Europe, I already got my copy. I've been playing basically since I woke up, and I'm on the last level which is ridiculously hard (They throw half a mechanized division in your face as soon as you get there), but I'm really liking this game. Just a bit iffy about the level before that where it glitched and I kept fighting a "boss" for over an hour.

Quoted post: His voice actor is pretty great. He doesn't deliver drama to lines that don't deserve them, making his whole ice cold Sith killa persona seem a little more believable.

probably because he's an actual actor. A good one to boot!

Quoted post: Just a bit iffy about the level before that where it glitched and I kept fighting a "boss" for over an hour.

Is it the star destroyer? Heard that was pretty ****ing stupid.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

holy ****, darth maul was totally out of nowhere

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

also, is it just me or do the levels gradually get shorter? the shipyards seemed way longer than bespin or kashyyyk

Posted by #061402

Yeah, I noticed that myself. Felucia was over before you knew it compared to Raxus Prime.

And I hate how it's so obvious that you're supposed to get the good ending.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

**** THIS STAR DESTROYER

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

also the last level is pretty hard

**** having to fight six purge troopers and an AT-KT at the same time

Posted by #061402

Just drop into the Firing Tubes, saved me a crapload of time and most likely a ****load of attempts at killing them all.

The funny thing is that if you manage to take care of the first wave, another one pops up. No idea how many there are, if there is any end to them.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

okay, done. here's X'S FINAL REVIEW

pros
- The gameplay stays fun throughout and you can get really creative once all the force powers are unlocked.
- The story is actually pretty solid. Definitely wouldn't mind seeing Starkiller in other EU materials. The ending was kinda rough, but I can't think of a way they could have done it otherwise without dissatisfying the player.
- The sound was fantastic. The part on Imperial Ractus Prime where you take apart the tractor beam to the trench run music from ROTJ was awesome and I was pleased with the voice acting. Fun fact: the Apprentice's VA is also the Emperor's VA.
- Some of the set pieces were really creative.

mixed bag
- QTEs. I actually didn't mind them for boss fights, since it was basically an interactive cutscene, but having to do them constantly near the end when you're fighting AT-STs and Royal Guards all the time was irritating.

cons
- Boss fights. Off the top of my head, the only ones I actually enjoyed were (spoilers) [spoiler]PROXY and Darth Vader[/spoiler]. The rest were kinda mashtastic and had a lot of cheap movesets. The Emperor was just a huge **** sandwich.
- It's a kinda short game. For me, there's replay value in the form of the holocrons and hard mode, but it only took me one day of semi-serious play to get through.
- Star Destroyer section played out terribly and should either have been a cutscene or totally reworked. Not all that difficult once you got the rhythm down, but it wasn't what I imagined.

Posted by #061402

I was sort of iffy about Starkiller and Eclipse. All of a sudden they were like OMG I TINK I LUFF JOO LOL, with no chance to choose to have them go cheesy as hell over each other or not. I've always hated it when characters who barely ever see each others suddenly decide that the protagonist would be a good person to screw.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I dunno, she was basically the one who convinced him to turn away from the Dark Side and Vader, and no one ever said I LOOOOVE YOOOU. It was more 'I'll never see you again so FUUUUUUCK MMMMWAH'

Posted by #061402

How can you not notice the subtle hints? They were there all the time. "Don't make me throw away another life BAAAAAAAAAAAAAW" "I'm doing the best, for both of us." *Glint in eye.*

Not to mention you don't generally kiss someone just because.