Movie Based Games

Posted by Alta

when an awesome movie comes out, and makes a few extra million they say, "heII let's make a game based on it, to rack in a few extra bucks" and it always sucks the fat one, (i.e. transformers, incredible hulk) with the exception of spiderman, which are fun at first, but after a month goes by you find that it is really boring, and the only fun part is web-swinging. but since some movies these days are based on something, companies show that it is possible to make a good game based relatively on the movie (i.e. ultimate spiderman, Incredible Hulk: Ultimate destruction) now for those interested enough to have read this far, i am wondering if there are any thoroughly good movie based games, Why they always suck, and if there are any good ones, what are they? i haven't played a REALLY good movie based game.

display your thoughts

Posted by Prince Shondronai

There are exceptions. Goldeneye 007 for the N64, most notably, but yeah, movie games are almost always garbage. Like any art form, video games can be botched when the artist's desire for money exceeds their talent.

Posted by JPolito830

I have to agree that Goldeneye was the last great game made from a movie. I still love that game.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Off the top of my head - Goldeneye 007, Chronicles of Riddick, Spider-Man 2, Blade Runner, Batman Returns, and King Kong. [spoiler]BRING IT ON VAMP[/spoiler]

Posted by Speedfreak

They're bad because they start pre-production around the time the movie starts actual production. So they get less time off the bat to be made when games need longer amounts of time than movies to be good anyway.

Posted by maian

Heh. Well, there's been a fair share of excellent Star Wars games and pretty good LOTR games, but...I guess those don't really count, since most of said games are expanded universe anyway. The games actually based on the movies kinda suck as well, like Revenge of the Sith! :cookie:

Anyway, it's expected. Movie games kind of blow, end of story. The only time they're ever good is when they can stand alone as an actual game. One reason Goldeneye was so awesome was because it had tons and tons of missions, many of which weren't even in the movie. They created a whole new game with excellent multiplayer, and made it into a Goldeneye game.

So, I guess it lies where the priorities are. Almost every developer puts the movie before the game, resulting in subpar products. In making any game, the absolute first priority should be the actual gameplay for it to be good, since it is, y'know, a video game.

Posted by Speedfreak

It's usually not the developer's fault. The guys in suits just happen to be retards.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

HERE, INTERMEDIATE GAME DEVELOPMENT HOUSE

CREATE A VIDEO GAME BASED ON OUR MOVIE WITHIN 6 MONTHS FOR EVERY PLATFORM CURRENTLY AVAILABLE

OH, AND WE'RE ONLY GIVING YOU $200!

Posted by WillisGreeny

WHICH INCLUDES THIS FANCY SUITCASE TO CARRY THE MONEY, LEAVING YOU WITH $145!

Posted by Big Boss

[QUOTE=Alta

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

All movie based games have been getting better if you ask me. Even the children movie licenses are passable now. Passable, not great, but not abysmal. Like Wall-E. So hey, it's not a dismal future for these types of games, and it should only get better and better from here.

Posted by Alta

hey i was wondering how you guys think the wanted game will be. the movie was awesome, that doesn't necessarily go for the game as well. i made that mistake with transformers. *shudders* i still have nightmares

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Wanted was a horrible comic book. Never saw the movie. The game will suck nuts. I say that despite living a few blocks away from Mark Millar for almost 10 years.

~curv da bullit~

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting The X: Wanted was a horrible comic book. Never saw the movie.

You are wrong in life.

Posted by Speedfreak

He just denied your right to exist, man. You gonna take that?

Posted by WillisGreeny

[quote=Big Boss;876366][FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=yellowgreen]You are wrong in life.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Ointment not included.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Wanted was a horrible comic book. Never saw the movie. The game will suck nuts. I say that despite living a few blocks away from Mark Millar for almost 10 years.

The movie was awwight actually. Like shoot 'em up except they tried for more story.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]Bad movie based games are nothing compared to bad games based on a movie based on a game. I'm looking at you Street Fighter: The Movie. . . The Game. My brain just exploded![/COLOR]