Mystic enters his first Brawl tourney

Posted by Mystic Hero

What's up everyone, it's a been a while huh? Well I entered my first Brawl tourney today just to see what it was like and to get my feet wet. The tournament was split into two parts, teams and singles. Both were double elimination. The rules for both were a 7 minute 3 stock match. Each were best of 3 and the final was a best of 5. Moving stages were banned except for Rainbow Cruise.

Doubles overview:

My first match my friend and I had was against a Marth and Metaknight team. These guys were REAL good. They had their team work down. The Marth basically used his B specials alot, including the sword dance. The metaknight was pretty good, but nothing I couldn't handle. I entered with Game & Watch and my friend was Wolf. What happened was the Marth saw I was wailing on his partner and decided to go pick on me. I haven't seen anyone use Marth in Brawl like this guy did so I quickly lost two lives to him while my friend got handled by the Metaknight. Their teamwork was superb, double edgeguarding and chain grabbing. They two stocked us the first match so I switched to Pikachu. Unfortunately the Marth knew my game and picked off two of my lives quickly, not lettign me get any where near his partner. After he delt with me they doubled teamed my friend and killed all of his lives leaving me alone for a beating. The final part of the match ended up like monkey in the middle and I was the monkey. They stood on opposite sides of me and just grabbed me until i hit 100% damage and then finished me. I saw this play alot during their later matches with other people. They love doing that monkey in the middle thing alot it seems.

So after we got two stocked twice we fell into the losers bracket. Our next match was against another Marth and a Fox. This team's Marth wasn't as impressive as the last, but decent. This time my friend and I stuck with Game& Watch and Wolf for two rounds and ended up winning. The first match we two stocked them and the second round I was at one life and my friend was at two.

Our final round in the tourney ended up being against a Falco and a Pit. They were decent and we could have won, however their team's Pit turned out to be quite a nuisance. I had the upper hand on the falco alot, however Pit kept shooting arrows and stopped my final blows, letting Falco get in some smashes and eventually kill me. My partner tried eliminating Pit, but no use since Falco came in to assist him.

My team ended up losing in the quarter finals which was alot better than I had anticipated. The corrdination on some teams was quite astounding. They had their game down.

The final match for team Brawl came down to the Marth and Metaknight team we lsot to first and a Wario and Metaknight team. The matches were close, making it come down to the final 5th match. Wario ended up taking the victory for his team with an atomic fart as a finishing move. It was quite an outstanding match to watch.

Singles overview:

Unfortunately for me I never got to fight anyone my level in singles. It was either people really outstanding or people that really sucked. My first match was against another Wario. Unfortunatley he wasn't that impressive. I two stocked him twice and took the win.

My second match was against one of the Metaknights that gave me a beating in teams so I got two stocked twice. It was basically a grab fest. The Metaknight just waited for me to attack, shielded and then grabbed me. My back turtle didn't work quite as well as I had hoped for and my c-stick bugged out on me a bit causing me to **** up some counter smashes that would have Ko'd my opponent earlier. He saw through that after I got him above 100% damage and began to play his evasion and grab game with me. I lost that matches and moved into the losers bracket.

My next match was against a ****ty Zelda that made me wish I was fighting someone at Iris's skill level. So with that said I 3 stocked his *** twice and took my win.

My final match was against a good Snake. Really nothing much to say here besides bombs up my ***. His Snake wasn't as good as Pit's, but still a good challenge. It came close the first round. It was 1 stock to 1 stock and then I lost. The second match he two stocked me.

My friend ended up getting one match ahead of me. He stuck with Wolf all through singles. One of his matches was agisnt another Wolf that was pretty much at his level. Each match came down to 1 stock and ended up in the third round. Fortunately my friend took the win and went on to the next round. He lost his next match against a really good Pikachu.

Overall Tournament overview:

There were ALOT of Metaknight players there and each one of them was outstanding. There was obviously one good Wario and one good Marth which I mentioned earlier. We had a couple Deedeedee's and one Sonic who actually wasn't all too bad. There was one Diddy user and one DK user who got to the Semifinals during the team tournament. The Diddy and Mr. G&W team was impressive. Diddy used his bananas and Game and Watch rode on them to get near an opponent to execute a smash. Idk if that made any sense but you had to kind of see it to know what I'm talking about.

For my first real time tournament I'd say it was a good experience and really **** fun even though I got handled in some matches. We had people from alot of different places at the tournament. We had people from Rochester, Mariland and Ontario that showed up. I kind of got to thinking it would be funny if I ran into Vamp there. Ah well.

Posted by O.T.L

LOL, I'm going to my first tourney tomorrow. Wish me luck:)

Posted by Iris

Haha, thanks for the compliment.

Yeah, Meta Knight is pretty popular. And I'm sure they all looked superb, but that's just Meta Knight, really. :p Anyways, glad you enjoyed the tournaments. Makes me kind of want to find out where I can enter local ones and show them my moves!

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Iris: Makes me kind of want to find out where I can enter local ones and show them my moves!

[COLOR="Yellow"]Not knowing whether the pun here was intended or not is making my brain hurt.[/COLOR]

Posted by O.T.L

exclamation point makes it look like she did it on purpose... I could be wrong, I doubt it though

Posted by Iris

exclamation points are the pinnacle of insincerity!

Posted by Corrupt

Yeah, that and ending sentences like this

With no periods

You're such a skank Iris

But yeah, I'm glad you decided to delve into the tournament scene, Mystic. Always good to get better at the game, and I'm planning on visiting the Chula Vista biweekly tournaments on a regular basis from now on. Hang out with great people, learn new techniques, have tons of fun, even go out to dinner at Denny's or some shit at 2 AM. It's always a pleasant experience!

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I played in a couple of Melee tournaments back in the day, and I've played in two Brawl ones. Furthest I ever got was the semi-finals of a Melee tournament, only to get the **** kicked out of me by a really good Link on Green Greens. rrrrr

Posted by protomanEXE

I went to one tourney for when brawl was about to come out and i used my alt and got reemed : /

Posted by O.T.L

I ****ing lost... Me my cousin and 3 other friends went and we all got eliminated first round.. ****!

Posted by Corrupt

That's what you usually expect at your first tournament, yeah, considering the people are any good. Who'd you guys use? (though I can assume you went with Link + Diddy)

Posted by O.T.L

I was one of 2 that actually won a match. He was really good he used yoshi and I thought CORRUPT! So I went with diddy because link is slow and laggy.

I won the first game due to the 6 minutes running out(4 stock) I was at 15% he was at 135% when time ended. And the next one he molestered me.

And the last one I got a lucky footstool on him and I was up a life but he was doing a cheap yet effective move with yoshi where he would eat me shoot me out in front of him and rinse repeat until we got to the edge. He won because time ran out that match it was pretty close I was at 75% and he was at 35%.

O well.

Edit- also some carrot top went to that tourney he said he was the best in Texas, I believe him we had some friendlies and he 4 stocked my Cousy Jesus with only 39% dmage taken, and we brawled but we had to stop because the tourney was about to start, I was getting my link raped though. He used ice climbers and he can do much more than just chain grab.

Posted by Ant

****ing ice climbers. HATE chaingrab bull****.

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

[quote=Ant;876872]****ing ice climbers. HATE chaingrab bull****.

easier offline than online

That guy with the icies was the reason a lot of controversy started with banning the icies chain grab tactic in texas. One person there runs about 80% of the tournaments and wanted to ban the tactic, but people got to *****y and prissy and the whole play to win **** started, it is a competition after all. I fought him online and he's a dick with the icies.

But again, it's just a tactic, and you have to not get grabbed, it isn't game breaking. He barely won against me, not a 4 stock margin, more like one stock with me getting raped in the end and him with mid damage. Though, anyone seeing that the first time and getting caught off guard, of course you're more than likely to get shocked and take the pain as it comes.

Mystic: Told you what to watch out for. Funny you described almost as how I told you :P

Posted by O.T.L

His online name was melee1 I asked him. He didnt chain grab that much I think he was just toying around with us, but he did show some chain grab ability.

Posted by Iris

that's the guy who was a prick in your last online tournament, right Bulb?

Posted by Mystic Hero

Quoting oswaldothelegend: I ****ing lost... Me my cousin and 3 other friends went and we all got eliminated first round.. ****!

Yeah hard core torney players turned out to be way more amazing then what I had thought of too. It's a good thing we just entered to see how much of a difference their skill is fomfr ours though. That was the main reason I entered. I wasn't expectign to win, just expecting to to do decent, which turned out well for the team tourney.

Anyway, I jsut moved into my college dorm this past week. I just recieved my laptop today so I could finally get back on here. I'm hoping my college has some skillful Brawl players like I saw in the tourney so i could get a bit better over weekends. So far I fought a decent Luigi, but nothing special enough to beat my G&W. Everyone here plays stupid WoW or other random ****. I still haven't got my wii hooked up to wifi and it may take a while too. I might need to buy an ether net cable or something. So far no one here has figured out to connect the wii so if I don't find any good Brawl players to duke it out with offline, then my skills will just go to hell.

Posted by O.T.L

cool.

None if us expected to win, but we didnt all expect to lose I should have gone with my link against that guys yoshi he said later that he was glad I stuck with diddy because link has an advantage over yoshi? I was like **** and I hardly play with diddy u have no experience with him but I have tons with link but whatever I'll redeem myself this Saturday when I go to the next and last MGC tournament, its free to enter so its all good.

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

[quote=Iris;876973]that's the guy who was a prick in your last online tournament, right Bulb?

ha ha, oh boy good times

that was him, if not, they must definitely be related, especially if its in texas

Mystic, I believe since around april, I've been shooting the "watch out for snakes and metaknights" line, not just to you, but a few other people. If I didn't shoot you that line recently, it was probably since you wanted a crapload of concentration on pikachu's strengths and weaknesses, especially in a team match.

Posted by O.T.L

Snake and meta knight currently S tier at smashboards. Which means they are the best.

Posted by Ant

UH OH

Posted by Mystic Hero

Quoting Dark Bulb 4.3: ha ha, oh boy good times

that was him, if not, they must definitely be related, especially if its in texas

Mystic, I believe since around april, I've been shooting the "watch out for snakes and metaknights" line, not just to you, but a few other people. If I didn't shoot you that line recently, it was probably since you wanted a crapload of concentration on pikachu's strengths and weaknesses, especially in a team match.

Yeah and don't forget I wanted some insight on Yoshi too. Unfortunately I didn't get to fight a Pikachu or a Yoshi. I just got spanked by Marth and Metaknight. The problem I see with fighting Metaknight is that his chain grabbing abilities are too fast since he does a little gliding dash when he is sprinintg making his sprint grabbing fast. I tried dodging those a couple of times and was successful only a few times. I think maybe if I just practice on timing my dodges more I should be able to get in some good counters with my back turtle.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Dark Bulb 4.3 agrees: not really, just means they have a massive advantage over others. In the end, it isn't the character, it's the play-- uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

That's not how tiers work you stupid faggot. They're the best, unbeatable. End of.

Posted by Iris

Dark Bulb must be new to this Smash Bros. tiers and such.

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

how horrible of me

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Snake and MetaKnight are two of the hardest characters for me to play. Always turns out that way. I'm **** with Chun-Li, Sophitia, Lion...

Posted by Iris

Well, what Bulb said about how they play them is true. A Meta Knight's not that hard if they aren't abusing specific moves and strategies. Neither are most characters, but those two specifically are good at sticking with one pattern of attacks and shutting down an opponent.

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

I always felt the thing with tiers were that some characters are just built better than others. It was obvious there were characters that if your opponent picked in melee, you'd have a hard time fighting against (fox: fast, easy damage rack up, fast kills, fast airs / place him against a link: clunky, moderate damage but slower attacks, a range of projectiles, few kill moves). Match ups with highs and tops vs mids and lows, I've seen that the mids and lows would receive a good *** kicking due to character flaws, but they also had distinct advantages over high and tops. I saw a lot of weakness exploited that would make a fox go from 0 to death against a DK, both being competitive players. In the same round, you can see a fox combo the dk from 0 to death. The players skill vs Tiers, to me is always a combination of both. Knowledge as to why the character is placed where he is, and how you as the player can overcome characters weaknesses and exploit their strengths. Then the knowledge of the player and the way they exploit their characters strengths and hide their weaknesses.

As the x said, those two characters seem to be some of the hardest to play against, especially with the abuse you know that's coming at you, and not being able to do much about it except how they screw up. I don't feel there is much of a tier system in this game yet though, too early in my opinion. It's obvious those two create a lot, if not the most pain. There is no "official" tier list for this game so far however, but we know where metaknight and snake might end up being.

Posted by Ant

Psh, Metaknight is easy as hell to beat once you get used to that players use(could say that about all characters, which also says something about the character of MK). But Snake is just a stage control monster. the smaller the stage the more ****ed you are.

Posted by D.J Cat

We had our biggest Brawl/Melee Tournament here on the Gold Coast in Australia a few weeks ago.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=196152

The picture at the top sums it up well. :-D

I got 9th in Doubles (9: DJ Scrub Cat and the moon people present benny hill on ice (Scrubs and DJ cat) but did rubbish in singles.
Hopefully next time we'll do Swiss.