Tell me I'm right

Posted by The Judge

Please tell me I'm right. Don't IM her or anything, I just want candid opinions:

croatiansista06: i am a Catholic Christian
D Virus VX13: that's impossible
croatiansista06: how do u think that is impossible
D Virus VX13: because catholics believe in saints and worship the virgin mary. Christians believe that only Jesus was ever invested with divine powers, thus making saints blasphemous, and they believe it is a sin to worship another idol beyond jesus
croatiansista06: we do not worship saints
D Virus VX13: YES YOU DO
D Virus VX13: My mother is catholic
croatiansista06: no we don;t
D Virus VX13: I know all about the catholic religion
D Virus VX13: You believe in saints and worship the virgin mary
croatiansista06: we do not worship the virgin mary
croatiansista06: alot of pple say that
croatiansista06: and it is not true
D Virus VX13: So
croatiansista06: and that makes me mad
D Virus VX13: let me get this straight
D Virus VX13: EVERY mexican on earth is wrong?
D Virus VX13: and EVERY catholic I've ever met is wrong
D Virus VX13: and YOU alone are right?
croatiansista06: they are not wrong they just do not understand that praying to mary is not worshiping her but praying to her because she was the mother of and a messenger to
D Virus VX13: wrong
D Virus VX13: tell me why then they have statues of her
D Virus VX13: those are what we call IDOLS
D Virus VX13: which would be FALSE in the eyes of christians
D Virus VX13: which is a SIN
croatiansista06: stop saying that
croatiansista06: OK
croatiansista06: you just do not understand the Catholic religion
D Virus VX13: k
D Virus VX13: I suppose I should refer you to a real catholic?
D Virus VX13: I don't prefer having my knowledge put down by someone who is misinformed
croatiansista06: ahem i am not misinformed
croatiansista06: so stop making fun of the Catholic religion
D Virus VX13: I'm not
D Virus VX13: I'm informing you that it is impossible to be a "christan catholic"
D Virus VX13: it's one or the other

Posted by Ch

well i always thought Christianity had two branches to it;Catholic & Protestant.

They way i see it... you do bring up a good argument and seem right. But i wouldn't know,I'm a Nazerene Protestant

Posted by Last Fog

Sorry, you're wrong.

First off, Catholicism is the original from of Christianity, and every other sect stemmed off of it.

Catholics do not worship saints or Mary. When you pray to Mary, you're not worshiping her, you're just praying through her to G0d. And certainly don't idolize statues. Statues are just a form of representation or a reminder.

Posted by Poco

Way wrong. We don't worship Mary. We see heras a holy figure unlike protestant churches. And we don't beleive saints are like Jesus. They are holy figures, yes, but not sinless. I mean, look at St.Augustine.

Posted by The Judge

But wouldn't it still be impossible to be a Christian Catholic? That's still mixing two different religions and claiming to be a full member of both churches.

Posted by Ant

Sounds like you are wrong...

Posted by Sable Wind

Quoting The Judge: But wouldn't it still be impossible to be a Christian Catholic? That's still mixing two different religions and claiming to be a full member of both churches.

I was always under the illusion that Christianity was a less intense version of Catholism. However you spell it.

*forgot about religion*

Posted by 007 ninja

Quoting The Judge: But wouldn't it still be impossible to be a Christian Catholic? That's still mixing two different religions and claiming to be a full member of both churches.

Think about Christianity as a tree. All the different branches are different sects of Christianity (Catholic, Anglican, Orthodox, Baptist, etc). So if someone says they're Christian, they just don't want to specify what sect of Christianity they are affiliated with.

Make sense?
By the way, we don't worship Mary. We don't worship statues either, as those are just sacramentals to help us focus on God.