VERY Interesting debate on game piracy

Posted by Big Boss

[font=trebuchet ms][color=yellowgreen]The article is interesting enough, if maybe a little too short to really expand on the issue. No worries though, as the comments section has a heated argument between developers, game writers and pirates.

[quote]http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=19392

Console piracy exists as well, obviously. But I would bet real dollars (the kind you buy games with) that it

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: But I would bet real dollars (the kind you buy games with) that it’s not remotely as much of a problem on home consoles as it is on PC.

I think that's fairly obvious. Though there's a quite a few people on my friends list that has pretty much their whole library pirated.

Posted by Vasioth

[Quote] Gamasutra - The Cultural Environment

The sad and frustrating part is that the main effect this has is that more and more developers and publishers are simply going to stop bringing their games to the PC. Why even bother, if the system has so many challenges to begin with, and the community they are overcoming those challenges for is full of so many stubborn idealogues?

But then its just as easily done to a console platform also. Its hard to overall beat piracy aswell because you'll always find someone illegally downloading a game/movie and there's ways to avoid detection. And I don't know anyone who doesn't download music, I still haven't met one yet (that uses a computer every day either).

Posted by Speedfreak

You have a funny idea of debate, Big Boss. I see a steamroll, the piracy advocates lack any logical arguements, it's just a bunch of spoilt brats.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Piracy will never be beaten when national copywright laws barely get enforced in other countries. Unless the US decides to go to war for hollywood, other countries aren't going to give a ****, leaving millions of avenues for illeagle **** to flow freely. If you want to stop that, then you have to restrict the internet... do I see another can of worms?

I haven't pirated one game that I didn't buy within the same week. I feel guilty for the studio when I don't pay; something those block heads who argue for piracy protection don't see being possible of those that download.

Music is a different issue. People I know who download the most music also pay top dollar for concert tickets. I'm sorry, but I don't feel any remorse for music labels that withhold 90% of the artist's revenue.

I download music and refuse to pay more than 30 dollars for a concert ticket. USA USA USA

Posted by Speedfreak

And you're a spoilt brat, thanks for proving my point.

Nothing spoiled about it. I buy an album if I go to the bands show, but black metal bands don't make their music easily accessible and limit it to incredibly low numbers, so I'm not going to go through all the work of finding a decent copy to buy.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Piracy, I say nay to. I do like negating the region protection on my systems, though. That doesn't do any harm to the market, as far as I can see. I just ordered an import Wii title, so I'll have to get the region free software downloaded to it soon.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Prince Shondronai;873934]Piracy, I say nay to. I do like negating the region protection on my systems, though. That doesn't do any harm to the market, as far as I can see. I just ordered an import Wii title, so I'll have to get the region free software downloaded to it soon.

Hmm...does not understanding why make it okay, though?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I pirate games because I save money and I know the chances of me being caught, or even subsequently prosecuted, are miniscule.

There's no excuse for it. Seriously. It's a few steps away from theft.

Posted by Speedfreak

I pirate games when I know my money will not go to the developer or publisher but instead some stupid game shop that's resold the same copy a hundreds times over, and has consequently made more money from it than the people that actually worked on it. It's easily the lesser of two evils.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Don't even care about the developer/publisher part most of the time. Just want my

I've actually never pirated a game before. Should get on top of that.

Posted by Speedfreak

You've never downloaded a NES game? Really?

Nope. Never used an emulator. I've played pirated games, like, when I was in school. But never downloaded one myself.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Vamp is an upstanding Canadian citizen. A model for society.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Aren't NES games fair game, since most of them are unattainable now?

Posted by Speedfreak

Legally no, but like I said, if it's not in Virtual Console, XBLA or PSN then it's being sold 56th hand from a video game store.

Posted by Ant

Who gives a **** about NES games? I think Nintendo/other companies have made enough money off it. They probably disagree with me, rightfully so. And to that I say,

1. F[COLOR="Lime"]U[/COLOR]CK
2. YOU

as for current generations, the best I could do was GBA titles. Though I could get an R4 for DS games. eh.

Posted by Speedfreak

There are some truly spectacular old games that were not financially successful. I'd like my money to go towards encouraging them.

Posted by O.T.L

I've never pirated a game either, but MAN in Mexico they have several little flea markets FULL of pirated games, and they even provide a service of circumsizing your sistem for some money.

Posted by Fate

Pirating games sounds wrong to me if the game is readily available.

Posted by O.T.L

I havent seen a place here that sell any pirated games, or even a place on the net to look for one, BUT in Mexico they have a BUNCH!

Posted by Speedfreak

Well Mexico is a sucky country.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Yeah, I'm not about to ship my system off to trustworthy Mexico to be modded. My definition of modding is the insallation of a chip that allows play of import games. Their definition of modding would be to take my system and sell it on El-Ebay.