Official Beijing Olympics 08 Thread

Posted by strahanned

How has no one made a thread on this..?

****, well for any of you that watch sports at all, what sports have you been watching? I'm streaming the Team USA Basketball game live right now..so that's pretty cool. Only sport I really care about in the entire Olympics..

Posted by Fragliche

Quoting strahanned: How has no one made a thread on this..?

Not a lot of people care?

Posted by ExoXile

[quote=Fragliche;872210]Not a lot of people care?
It's in the sports forum.
Stop being an ***.

I've just seen some gymnastics.

Posted by strahanned

Quoting Fragliche: Not a lot of people care?

Sad, really.

Posted by Crazy K

I watched a bit of it, can't say I want to keep watching though.

Posted by Kit

Saw some of the gymnastics, wasn't really interested.

Posted by strahanned

Gymnastics, biking, swimming, fencing and tae kwon do..

are all boring.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I liked the synchronized diving.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

The actual games are boring, but the opening ceremony melted my mind.

Posted by Noir

Yes.
Let's just not mention the swimming relays between the U.S. and France...:o

Actually, I take the boring thing back. Just haven't been paying attention. Pretty all right to watch. They just need to show more table tennis.

Posted by ExoXile

There's always something worth watching, you just need to find your thang.

Posted by Shade

Quoting strahanned: biking

are all boring.

get the **** out.

Posted by strahanned

Why the hell would I wanna watch someone bike? Only amusing when someone falls and makes it like a snowball effect.

Only sports I'm interested in are the ones with some sort of ball.

And wow, NBC's coverage of the Olympics sucks huge cock. The West Coast gets a bunch of tape delays.

Posted by Shade

okay, get into biking, start doing it, then watch. you will be ****ing AMAZED. i mean come on, those dudes average like, 35 mph for 3 hours in a row. HOW IS THAT NOT AWESOME

also, more tennis needs to be on when i watch. volleyball just gets boring when i know the american girls are gonna rape every other team.

CBC broadcast is the only one worth watching. Getting to watch every massive failure of Canadian athletes is totally worth it.

Posted by Shade

you guys only win in winter games. it was pretty funny watching all the canadian gymnastic dudes fail every landing

Yeah. I was watching field hockey earlier and we even suck at that. I'm like dude, this is an easier form of hockey, how are you guys losing? and sure enough we came in, like, last place. ****ing pathetic AND hilarious.

Posted by Shade

you guys get your advantage from being able to do the harder form. one you level the playing field anybody can beat anybody's ***

Posted by strahanned

On a sidenote..turns out some of the fireworks were fake. Weird.

[quote=]If you watched the Opening Ceremony on Friday night, chances are you said something like, "no way that's possible" at least once. It turns out you were right.

London's Telegraph newspaper reports that some of the fireworks which appeared over Beijing during the television broadcast of the Olympic Opening Ceremony were actually computer generated. But -- hold on -- it's not necessarily as bad as you think.

The faked fireworks were actually set-off at the stadium, but because of potential dangers in filming the display live from a helicopter, viewers at home were shown a pre-recorded, computer-generated shot. It sounds dishonest, but I'm not sure it's such a terrible thing.

The Opening Ceremony is, at its core, just one big performance. And isn't it accepted that some things might not be legit at a performance? The final torch bearer wasn't actually running around the top of the stadium, does the fact that everyone could figure that out make it any less impressive? It might have been unnecessarily deceptive, but the firework-faking isn't really that big of a deal. But, if I found out that the lighted-drum thing wasn't on the up and up, then we'll have problems, China.

[url=http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/Some-Opening-Ceremony-fireworks-were-faked?urn=oly,99745&cp=297]Source[/url]

They said that in the NBC broadcast as it aired. I don't know why it's a surprise to anyone since on Friday at the moment it happened they said "This is all computer generated etc etc"

Posted by strahanned

Oh haha my bad, I didn't actually see the fireworks during the ceremony. Just the walk of nations..so I was quite surprised.

****, I hope you saw the rest of it on the internet or something. Mind blowing.

Posted by strahanned

Yeah, everyone said it was like the best opening ceremony ever.

Still haven't got to see it, but I will eventually.

Posted by WillisGreeny

I heard a commentator say "I wonder if Michael Phelps will get his first gold medal today". Ofcourse they had meant first medal in Beijing, but it still cracked me up.

3 gold so far, and 5 more possable wins coming up. That makes 9 golds total in his career. I'm simply blown away that he could win two events which started an hour apart. Does he ever rest?!?! What a machine.

Yeah, it made me laugh to see him beat the Olympic record and then not after that much rest shatter the world record like it was nothing.

Posted by strahanned

Spanish Basketball Team giving the "slant eye".

[IMG]http://i36.tinypic.com/2ldbw46.jpg[/IMG]

[url=http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/Spanish-basketball-team-poses-for-offensive-pict?urn=oly,100152]Source[/url]

it's funny because they're gonna lose to China if they ever play against them

Posted by pink_lycanthrope

I'm watching like 3-4 hrs. a day. i love the Olympics, the comradery and such is inspiring to say the least. A side note, Marta is hot.

Posted by strahanned

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: it's funny because they're gonna lose to China if they ever play against them

Haha, actually Spain beat China in overtime. This is good though, cause we (USA obviously) beat China by like 31 points, and Spain won by 10. Spain's considered the biggest threat to the US team, so I think we're in good shape to win this one. Kooooobeeeeee.

oh, well there you go. I only watched the USA v China match and I haven't seen any of the games on since.

Posted by WillisGreeny

US girl's gymnastic's team choked and got the silver, but Shawn Johnson did great. We can finally add her to the list of famous people from Iowa, next to Ashton Kutcher... wait, no, I don't want to punish her.

Posted by Zeta

I watched the USA vs China water polo a few days ago.

I have no ****ing idea why.

Posted by WillisGreeny

The refereeing is a lot like basketball in the sence there are lots of penalties never called. I hate sports that have a large emphasis in what officials call and don't call, which is kinda why I don't like most sports, really.

Posted by Jesse Smith

You know China stinks when...they have to have a girl do lip-synching because China thinks she isn't cute enough. aka..for those of you in Rio Linda, one girl did the singing, while another girl, the girl that every one saw, pretended to be singing, only looked like she was doing da singing, cause da China commies are ugly!!!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26153578/

Posted by WillisGreeny

Good decision.

That just shows how superior they are to everyone else.

Quoted post: . I hate sports that have a large emphasis in what officials call and don't call, which is kinda why I don't like most sports, really.

which is why hockey is awesome. Only game where some dude can get picked on, tripped and slashed throughout the whole game and the refs just ignore it.

Posted by Klarth

Been following it on-and-off. Watched quite a bit today - highlights:

French welterweight boxer having none of his hits counted by the judges in a bout against Uzbekistan's athlete, BBC commentators unhappy

People posing for photos with Bill Gates during the Federer-Blake match

Federer getting ****y with a Chinese man in the crowd who got out of his seat and waved his telephoto in his direction

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Has anyone else been watching table tennis? The Chinese players are ****ING ILL. And not to mention the Polish amputee. She serves with her nub. ****. Olympics are awesome.

I've been trying to catch it online, since no station seems to be even showing highlights. Which is a shame, because it's one of the best olympic sports out there.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

not lived until you see a chinese dude do some kind of half front flip to return off the table

Posted by Shade

Quoting netman:

Federer getting ****y with a Chinese man in the crowd who got out of his seat and waved his telephoto in his direction

because you DON'T ****ING PULL THAT ****. not kidding.

man, Federer losing to Blake? madness. he just can't seem to win lately :(

Nadal destroyed his confidence. Federer's a ***** anyways.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Shade:
man, Federer losing to Blake? madness. he just can't seem to win lately :(

The guy's losing it. TIME FOR NADAL TO TAKE OVER. :)

Canada has yet to win a medal so far. I'm so disappointed :(

We usually don't win a medal until the second half of the event. And even then the athletes are placing higher on the rankings and beating their personal bests left and right. Sure 15th place doesn't sound good, but that's the highest we've ever come in gymnastics for example. So it looks bad, and it kinda is, but it's not all bad.

Plus, we shine in the Winter games. Summer isn't for Canadians. We don't have the proper equipment in Canada to breed decent summer athletes.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

yes, swimming pools and ping pong tables are valuable commodities in canada

We actually only have, like, 3 regulation-sized pools in all of Canada.

Oh man. I thought Phelps was done there. Even in mega slowmo it doesn't even look like he really got it. Announcers freaked out at this performance though. Made me laugh.

Posted by Xero

I was surprised when I heard that Phelps only won a race by 0.01 second. I hope he wins a 8th medal tomorrow. That guy is really impressive.

And Canada now has 3 medals on the board! At long last! :)

About ****ing time too. But no surprise it came this late like I said.

Anywho, Phelps just won his eighth medal of these games. Quite an exciting race.

Posted by Mystic Hero

A new incredible world record set by Michael Phelps. Over here my friends and I just went nuts. The race was fantastic. It started out close and had me sweating both for the team and for the record. Watching these Olympic games these past two weeks, especially Phelp's final race has given me some inspiration to get back into the competitive swimming I used to do a few years back. Just unbelieveable.

Posted by Xero

8 gold medals for Phelps. The guy was born to swim. Bravo. That last race was incredible.

Posted by O.T.L

Mexico has 1 medal, a bronze. I think we lack ambition.

Makes me laugh to think the US and China combined have over 120 medals, while other countries struggle to get more than ten or even five.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

BRITAIN IN THIRD PLACE HELL YEAH

Scottish guys came first and second in the cycling, we own.

Posted by Xero

Canada's up to 9 medals now and has 2 gold ones.
Vamp was pretty much right about Canada warming up in the 2nd half. We're 17th on the board now :cool:

Posted by Shade

Wow, anyone else see Nastia Liukin get cheated out of a gold? RAAAGE

Posted by WillisGreeny

yeah, that was bull ****.

Should have been a sudden death, not a "procedure" that involves taking out scores. That was basically epic bull ****.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Shade: Wow, anyone else see Nastia Liukin get cheated out of a gold? RAAAGE

No I missed that. What happened?

Posted by WillisGreeny

She tied with a Chinese chick, and through a tie-breaking-systematic-scoring it ranked the Chinese chick 1st.

Posted by Shade

Even though her routine was better. Australian judge really ****ed up.

Posted by Xero

Man...she probably threw her silver medal hard against the wall in her room.

Posted by Shade

thing is, gymnastics is like, the only olympic event that does the tie break thing instead of just giving them both golds. bites pretty hard

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Yeah, I was watching that. Poor British chick was only .025 away from getting a medal. :(

I also lol'd at the second Chinese chick's amazing dismount. Crowd went BANANAS, everyone thought she was getting a 17 or more, then she gets this totally mediocre score. Awesome.

Posted by Shade

man, that british chick was built like a moose. i was really surprised when she turned out to be pretty awesome

Posted by Klarth

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Should have posted the animated gif.

this month is the only month i have ever unironically posted in /sp/

Posted by WillisGreeny

Now where's a picture of Nastia kissing her dad on the lips?

The tie-breaker cheat isn't as bad as the chink chick falling flat on her face in vault and still winning. My mom used to be hardcore into gymnastics when she was still flexible and seeing her reaction between that and the tie-breaker had me loling pretty hard. Way more rage than that Bela guy.

Also, I laughed pretty hard seeing Canada get silvers in trampoline. Figures that's the only gymnastics we're any good at.

Posted by Shade

woah wait, that girl still won?

...how bad were the other vaults? O.o

Pretty good actually. Which is why people were raging.

Posted by Shade

it's because they're china and they cheat. 16 age limit my ***.

Yeah, I laughed pretty hard when the NBC announcer was all "Do they look like they're 16? We all live in this world and..." and just trails off.

Posted by Shade

some news station even consulted some woman who's a physical forensics expert or somethin, and apparently she thinks they have the facial structures of about ten or eleven year olds.

Posted by Xero

Two Quebecers won a silver medal so far. Can't say we were too useless in these olympics. Whew....

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Shade;875437]it's because they're china and they cheat. 16 age limit my ***.Growth suppressants. Super common in gymnastics.

It's true. Often gymnasts grow after they retire from the sport.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Even the American girl, who looked pretty old by comparison, had no tits to speak of.

Posted by Ant

pics of the chinese girls. good fap material.

and earlier I watched the supposed womens favorite in the 100m hurdles totally blow it and hit a hurdle. and shortly before that, the other suppposed american favorite blew the 400m dash and get a bronze instead. though earlier in the day the men's beach volleyball had a lot of close sets.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Ant;875537]though earlier in the day the men's beach volleyball had a lot of close sets.Finally, the evidence I need to prove Ant is a faggot.

Posted by Ant

shut up man it was totally intense and omg their bods looked so toned and...yeah good matches.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

*george bush dusts the sand off ur cock*

I've been following both men and women's volleyball and gymnastics, so IDK

Quoted post: Even the American girl, who looked pretty old by comparison, had no tits to speak of.

You'll notice the vast majority of female athletes don't have boobs. In fact, that 20 year-old gymnast Alicia whatever probably had the biggest out of anyone else in any sport and look how that turned out for her. Wobbling everywhere and making her fall all over.

Posted by Shade

some guys i was hanging out with were going on and on about how hot that alicia girl is.

i don't see it.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[IMG]http://www.faniq.com/images/blog/Picture%2039%285%29.png[/IMG]

the body of a 12 year old *gets cockburn from fapping so hard*

Posted by Shade

looks like a ***** if i ever saw one.

Posted by WillisGreeny

A hot *****. If only Linko was here to agree with me, since you guys are all for small lumps.

Posted by Shade

and you think she's got a large lumps? b-cup at the most.

Posted by WillisGreeny

In contrast to the other girls in gymnastics, they're pretty big.

Quoted post: and you think she's got a large lumps? b-cup at the most.

Not just gymnastics, compared to every women in the Olympics they're ****ing huge. Since, you know, most women range from completely flat to just over an A cup.

Anywho, the beach volleyball match was a lot less close than I was expecting. Figured walsh and may would win, but in the third set. But nope, they ****ing face'd the chinese team. Awesome.

And Usain Bolt is disgusting.

Posted by Shade

I love how he always celebrates before he wins. oh jamaicans

He only did that in the 100m sprint. In the 200 he looked pretty ****ing serious and didn't showboat during the run.

Posted by Shade

Really? It was what set him apart. I guess he'll have to settle for being your every-day-run-of-the-mill fastest man in the world.

His speed set him apart. Showboating before a race is even done is unsportsmanlike and defeats the whole purpose of the Olympics!

Posted by WillisGreeny

Which is to be Russia's cover while invading Georgia.

They failed pretty bad at that.

Though I like how they suspended ties to NATO and are now all "WE WILL RETALIATE... AND NOT WITH DIPLOMACY"

Good ol' Russia, thinking it still matters and is a tough guy.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Oh Putin, you ol' hound dog, you. Always the first ones to call out the US for spiking the punch, while they're poking holes in the party cups.

Posted by strahanned

Team USA whoopin' the Australians after winning by only 11 in exhibition play, we go out and kill them by 30 some points today. Let's go get that gold, KOB.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;875864]Though I like how they suspended ties to NATO and are now all "WE WILL RETALIATE... AND NOT WITH DIPLOMACY" JUST IN TIME FOR RED ALERT 3

Hahaha, oh wow.

But seriously, Russia's just trying to assert itself. Empty threats to make it look like a big man. So it's funny to see all those people who are like "OH *** WORLD WAR 3!!!"

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Can't wait for the nuclear holocaust that will ensue. Hopefully I'll survive. Fallout 3? WHO NEEDS THAT **** WHEN YOU HAVE A REAL WASTELAND TO EXPLORE

idk, I think I'll still stay inside and play fallout 3 instead.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Showboating before a race is even done is unsportsmanlike and defeats the whole purpose of the Olympics!

Agreed. It's too bad he didn't lose that race. The world would have been laughing at his *** afterwards.

No. It's a good thing he did win the race. That's the kind of thing that makes people watch the olympics, and the sort of thing that track needs! Plus, seems like a lot of people like Bolt, as indicated by their reaction towards the IOC president's comments.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Looks like the **** is about to hit the fan over China's girls gymnastics team.

Posted by Shade

why what's happening i haven't been paying attention the last few days

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

UNDERAGE B&

Posted by Shade

seriously? FUUUUCK YEAH GIVE AMERICA SOME GOLDS BABY

Posted by Xero

IS RUSSIA GONNA TAKE THE 3RD PLACE?

I hope not.

The IOC is just looking into it. Not a formal investigation, but they're interested now. So we'll see results in, oh, eight years at the earliest.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Will they have to cut off one of the Chinese girl's head's to count the rings? or how does that work out exactly.

You can look inside a bone once it's broken to see how tall someone will grow... don't know it it's the same for age though!

Posted by strahanned

Gold medal game for ball, bout to start in an hour. ****, I'm hyped. Let's get this man..

EDIT:: WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO **** YEAH BABY WHOOOOOOOOO SO ****ING HYPED MAN HOLY ****

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

[quote=strahanned;876847]Gold medal game for ball, bout to start in an hour. ****, I'm hyped. Let's get this man..

EDIT:: WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO **** YEAH BABY WHOOOOOOOOO SO ****ING HYPED MAN HOLY ****

now that, was one crazy game

my nikkas were bawling :cool:

also, every time I've seen america win, I can't help but play the team america song in my head

Posted by Klarth

**** yeah, Jimmy Page.

**** no, X Factor manufactured-pop-culture bullshit.

Boris Johnson is so ****ing awesomely casual.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Anyone watching the end show?

Posted by Klarth

Did they not broadcast it live in the colonies?

Posted by Shade

U.S.A winner in medals. Put that in your rice paddy and grow it, China.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Iron Koala: Anyone watching the end show?

I was working. :(

Posted by WillisGreeny

[quote=netman;877114]Did they not broadcast it live in the colonies?

I was too busy shooting lobster-backs to know for sure.

Quoted post: U.S.A winner in medals. Put that in your rice paddy and grow it, China.

China was the winner actually. They placed first followed by the US. Golds take priority.

Anywho, the basketball game was pretty good! A lot closer than I expected, but Spain kept it really interesting. And the final marathon was pretty crazy. I don't know how the Kenyan could run that far and not even look halfway exhausted. As for the closing ceremony, they should've figured out a better way to broadcast the sound, because the echo made it look like everyone was lip-syncing, even Jimmy Page.

Posted by strahanned

This was the first Olympics that I actually paid somewhat attention to, and I can safely say that it was fun while it lasted.

Posted by Klarth

[quote]China was the winner actually. They placed first followed by the US. Golds take priority.
I prefer to rank it by medals-to-GDP ratio (with each medal valued at a USD $1B).

North Korea wins!

Posted by Shade

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: China was the winner actually. They placed first followed by the US. Golds take priority.

Not in my eyes. More medals overall for me means that whichever country pulled it off had athletes that were good enough to place in more events than all the others.

Posted by Klarth

Also, ****, the chick with the violin is a friend-of-a-friend. Was watching it with some people, and when the platform appeared, she was like HOLY OH WOW and stuff. Must be an awesome experience to play in front of the biggest audience on the planet in the company of Jimmy Page, David Beckham and that other woman who isn't important in the least.

Just checked her facebook and it's full of I THOUGHT IT WAS YOU and THAT IS AMAZING and OMG BECKS 4EVA<3333.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Holy ****. My only claim to sports proxy fame is that the guy I sat next to in my 3rd and 4th years of high school programming now plays for Dundee Utd.

Quoted post: Not in my eyes. More medals overall for me means that whichever country pulled it off had athletes that were good enough to place in more events than all the others.

China had 15 more gold medals than the US. The US only had 10 more medals over all. America placed second.

... yeah.

Posted by WillisGreeny

NOT IF WE COUNT CANADA AND MEXICO TO AMERICA'S TOTAL!!!

oh wait, nvm.

Posted by Shade

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: China had 15 more gold medals than the US. The US only had 10 more medals over all. America placed second.

... yeah.

You say that as if to mean "China beat US by 5."

In which case I have to wonder at your logic.

Quoted post: You say that as if to mean "China beat US by 5."

Except golds (read: first place, the most important position in a competition) have a higher value than any other medal. It's sports, it's a competition. That's how this stuff works. You go in to win, not to be second or third. Therefore more golds = higher position.

butthurt americans, jesus christ.

Posted by Shade

Just saying I value more overall over more golds bro. If you're actually talking about like, who the IOC put in first place for the games then my bad, didn't catch it.

Quoted post: Just saying I value more overall over more golds bro.

Sounds like the perspective of a second place country.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Obviously China did the Olympics wrong if US got 2nd in gold. That can't happen.

Posted by Shade

Well all of their gymnastics golds should be taken away. Who needs age limits when you have government provided fake passports!

Yeah, kinda lol'd at the IOC taking that as proof.

Posted by WillisGreeny

I love how the US's mainstream media has focused in so much on the dark side of China, and not so much on the marvelous production. "Chinese girls are too young". "Imposter Singing". "Smog is deadly". Thanks Media, for giving me the illusion that China is cheating its way to the top, the top that belongs to us because we say so.

Posted by Shade

The imposter singing wasn't so much part of the dark side as much as being really funny.

For all the negative comments mainstream media still had a lot of good to say.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

negative comments about a heavily controlled society with serious political problems?

ABSURD

women with larger thighs were told to wear stockings to hide their imperfections.

heavily controlled is sometimes a good thing.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

china, home of CHUN-LI, wants to hide thighs

the situation is dire, gentlemen

Posted by Shade

It's because of Chun-Li that they realized something had to be done.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

BRITISH PARALYMPIC TEAM MOTHER****ING SECOND PLACE

REPRESENT

Posted by Xero

Canada's 6th! Not bad :cool:

Posted by Shade

congrats, your cripples aren't good enough to medal.

Quoted post: congrats, your cripples aren't good enough to medal.

This guy can't read.

We got 6th in the medal count, meaning 40 something medals. China got, like, 160. Which is ****ing gross.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

they have an extremely large cripple pool, though. no abortions = more cripples born into the world.

they have an extremely large pool of everything.

Posted by Shade

thought you meant one event. rhyme!

Posted by chang1326

I saw the air rifle matches...I saw the person named Abhinav Bindra who won the gold.That event was really nice.......

Posted by lue9808935

kasdoiadsawwwasappplsdkpommnna