Konami Retro revisit rumour

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote]So, the rumor goes (from the rumor section of the September 2008 issue of EGM) that they're thinking about doing a little bit of reviving to one of their older 2D franchises. Talk around Wii Fanboy HQ has us leaning toward three different franchises that could get the treatment: Rocket Knight Adventures, Zombies Ate my Neighbors and [URL="http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/search/?q=mystical+ninja"]Legend of the Mystical Ninja[/URL] (Ganbare Goemon). Of these three, we're pretty much leaning toward Rocket Knight Adventures, although some of us would like to see Ganbare Goemon get some love.[IMG]http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.nintendowiifanboy.com/media/2008/07/konami_digs_into_vault_sm.jpg[/IMG]

[URL]http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2008/07/31/rumor-konami-trying-its-hands-at-retro-revival/[/URL]

I was seriously hoping for a new Sparkster or Twinbee until I read it's supposed to be an action-adventure game. But when developers like DICE can mistake their own game, Mirror's Edge (a straight-up platformer), for an action-adventure game it leads me to believe that maybe EGM could too. There's also Ganbare Goeman, but that had a DS game a couple of years ago near the system's launch.

So, uh, SPARKSTER SPARKSTER SPARKSTER SPARKSTER.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Zombies Ate my Neighbors and Legend of the Mystical Ninja (Ganbare Goemon)

**** yes.

Though I want ZoE3 more than anything else from Konami.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

'Tis Castlevania, I'd wager a largely sum of Internets on.

just what we need!

Hey, Metroidvania is marvelous since Nintendo's not releasing any 2D Metroid games recently, but if we can get a new Castlevania game done in the style of Simon's Quest or Super Castlevania IV, I'll be happy with any 2D graphical style Konami goes with.

Posted by Speedfreak

There's been 2 on DS and there's an action game coming out, it's hardly been neglected.

old-style Castlevania has though. But it's not like we need another ****ing Castlevania of any sort or style.

Disagreement persists.

Posted by Speedfreak

[IMG]http://gonintendo.com/wp-content/photos/thumb_61ZM5ludKXL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG]

Now a third. IT'S NOT CASTLEVANIA.

It's got more to do with the source material than some "sequels."

Posted by Zeta

Oh, there's boxart now? Nice.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Prince Shondronai;871409]It's got more to do with the source material than some "sequels."

I meant the rumoured retro Konami revival game isn't Castlevania, as proven by this 3rd DS game.

Man if EGM's lying I'll gut them like a fish.

Just because a new 2D Castlevania is coming out for the DS, utilizing all of that system's power, it doesn't mean the 8-bit Konami game has to be something else.

I will floss my teeth with piano wire if it's not Castlevania, that's how sure I am.

Posted by Speedfreak

Don't have to go that far. If it's Sparkster just admit that Twilight Princess wasn't up to par, alright?

Never! Twilight Princess was fun. It wasn't quite Ocarina of Time, but it was still awesome.

Posted by Speedfreak

You really enjoyed the wolf sections and the complete lack of exploration and the paint-by-numbers dungeons? Really?

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]Sparkster would be an unbelievably awesome nostalgic retro combeback. Is there anyone else here besides Speedy and myself who know about that game?[/COLOR]

Posted by Speedfreak

I'm pretty sure I made everyone know about it (and my completing it on crazy hard mode) a couple years back.

Which did you prefer, the SNES or the Genesis game? Be careful choosing your answer, your IQ depends on it.

The wolf sections were what made it not as good as Ocarina of Time, and even those had some fun moments like hunting down the light thingies. There were plenty of extras to find through exploration, too. Just because it wasn't hard doesn't mean it wasn't fun. I don't disagree that Zelda games should be harder than that, but fun factor comes first.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Speedfreak: I'm pretty sure I made everyone know about it (and my completing it on crazy hard mode) a couple years back.

Which did you prefer, the SNES or the Genesis game? Be careful choosing your answer, your IQ depends on it.

[COLOR="Yellow"]I only played the SNES version, as i never owned a Genesis. But your question got me wondering, so i checked Wikipedia and found out the Genesis version is the "true" version. Looks like it's time for me to find a Genesis and the game for sale on Ebay.[/COLOR]

Posted by Speedfreak

It's not really a "true" version, it's just more like the original Rocket Knight Adventures. Which, in my opinion, kinda sucked. Really long levels, not as much screen-filling action as the SNES game. Worth a look anyway, still has the ultra hard bosses.