"Why Do Games Go Bad?"

Posted by Big Boss

Here's a small, but informative article with quotes from developers on why some games just suck:

[quote]http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200807/N08.0728.1502.11210.htm?Page=1

"The problem isn

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Yeah, I read up on that article not too long ago. It makes a lot of sense and points out problems that game designers have with trying to complete a product by said deadline or with interference by some retail store.

Also:

[quote=Dean Martinetti Producer, Spark Unlimited]I have never ever had a developer that didn’t put enough time in or not want more time to make a product better.

I don't doubt that one bit.

Good read.

Posted by Speedfreak

I read something on Gamasutra a couple of weeks ago and it said something like "how does a carefully scheduled project end up 6 weeks behind? One day at a time".

Those were some real horror stories though.

Posted by Linko_16

Very similar to the kinds of things I learned could ruin a movie shooting last semester. An interesting read.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: If anything, having to give too many demos... has a bigger negative impact...

sup, too human?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Considering Too Human has been in the pipeline for ten years, a few weeks would be nothing for SK.

doesn't really count until it's finally made on the actual system it's coming out on. So 3 years tops.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

and still it's a piece of ****

good job crybaby dyack

gonna go punch him in the face when it comes out. Only, like, five miles away.

Posted by Speedfreak

Give him one for me for Eternal Darkness. And Twin Snakes. And if Soul Reaver sucks then tell him it's just for existing.

I like Twin Snakes better than the original :o

Posted by Speedfreak

Despite it being ridiculously easy because of the completely broken gameplay?

idk why, I just enjoyed it more. Even after playing both versions numerous times.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Speedfreak;871239]Despite it being ridiculously easy because of the completely broken gameplay?difficulty modes exist for a reason

Posted by Speedfreak

It's easy because the new mechanics didn't fit the old environments and Dyack was too busy marvelling over the fact that he was working on a Kojima game to notice. That's the core of the problem. Cranking up the difficulty doesn't make it play any better, it's still a total mismatch.

I... liked the new gameplay bits better than original's too :o

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

i like the part where solid snake realizes he is the one and destroys the agents

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;871304]I... liked the new gameplay bits better than original's too :o

Not really my point. It's just sorta like having access to a Racoon Suit in Super Mario Bros and throwing in 10,000 goombas to compensate. It's a clusterfuck of game design.

ALL RIGHT. Didn't really notice any broken gameplay, beyond typical mgs stuff though...

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Speedfreak: #1 expert on games he has never played

or is that bebop

aren't they the same thing?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

THE ENGLISH LIQUID AND SOLID SNAKE

bebop is solid snake

cause solid snake is a troll

Posted by Speedfreak

I played Twin Snakes, it was like shooting fish in a barrel.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Oh yeah, it was Bebop who thought he was king of video game knowledge after playing ten minutes of MGS.

I retract my statement, your honor.

Posted by Speedfreak

It was his copy that I played. He got a PS2 and completed MGS years before I got my PS2, too.

We're really more like the Mario brothers, I figure.

Posted by Vasioth

To be honest I made an arse of myself in this post and its embarrasing to even look at it for me...

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Vasioth;871549]9 Months doesn't a what? Sorry but I'm looking at preverb Engrish on the go even as I type.
because pseudo-intellectual doesn't a literate person make

Posted by Vasioth

Quoting The X: because pseudo-intellectual doesn't a literate person make

Possibly.

Posted by Speedfreak

Dunno who you're talking to because I sure as hell don't give a crap about MGS. I just noticed that from MGS2 to Twin Snakes the already annoying mechanics became so redundant it was like playing a real version of Super Chuck Norris.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Hahahaha oh ****, deleting your post because of a derep

just get out

Posted by Speedfreak

You don't really look much better right now, man.

Posted by Vasioth

I never deleted it because of De-Rep, it was just a nonsense post. There's a difference between that but a guy who's making an arsehole of himself right now probably wouldn't understand that in the slightess.

And oh okay, should've read that more carefully then... still the mechanics in MGS2 aren't that... *pause* ... ... bad?

Posted by Sapphire Rose

I love how much MGS causes arguments on here.

Especially when some guy who never posts tries to come in and school everyone with his superior intellect.

Posted by Linko_16

Vasioth: Renegade intellectual bad-boy on the edge, scourge of all us deluded fanboys.

Posted by Vasioth

It's not that I've never posted, I've been a member here awhile. Pretty much been posting since before Kit was a member infact, all's it is "is" another account... (Don't ask why either)...

And LOL I had to admit I actually liked the post above me. Maybe it is a percise assumption of what I am on these forums, still. I just thought MGS would be a prime example to slag off as it was mentioned quiet a lot throughout the thread anyway and what I said is literally true about it. The story behind every MGS game is practically like it's been given to a 14 year old to write. The Voice Actors are also Solid gold. But I'm not saying I hate the game, I'm just saying after the first MGS I was really dissapointed in the rest of them and it put me off them entirely (especially the talks in MGS 2 with ***** 1 - Raiden and ***** 2 - His Girlfriend). I'm actually going to take back what I say, MGS3 was far supperior to MGS2 and had much better bosses ( the twist about Revolver Ocelot at least told you why he was in the bloody games to begin with) and the stealth was pretty bloody good which is where the revival in the Tactical Espionage gameplay to the series.

I'll also say aswell that I actually didn't mind Metal Gear Acid aswell though it takes a lot of guts to say that without being Crucified on the big cross yourself.

I'll stop complaining about the series anymore though before I do insult a fanboy. Sorry a lot?

Posted by Fate

You can like the game or not, but to bash the workable mechanics of one of the most respectable entries to the gaming industry that is said to revolutionize certain things? That's silly. There's obviously a lot of the development you are not aware of. That's like saying Miyamoto doesn't have an effect on designers anymore.

Anywho, everyone knows that Twin Snakes had broken gameplay for a variety of reasons, including the first-person shooting ability taken from MGS2.

Posted by Speedfreak

Biggest MGS fan ever backs me up. END OF.

Posted by Fate

Not to say it wasn't good, but it was broken. I took down Ocelot in the C4 room in three headshots, no joke. It took me a hell of a lot longer in the original just because there wasn't the ability to aim in first person. Also, it made the fight with Vulcan Raven a lot easier because you could see in first person and throw a grenade at the same time.

Posted by Speedfreak

Also the cutscenes. I was actually laughing at how stupid they were. Didn't he kick a missile or something near the end?

Posted by Vasioth

Quoting Fate: You can like the game or not, but to bash the workable mechanics of one of the most respectable entries to the gaming industry that is said to revolutionize certain things? That's silly. There's obviously a lot of the development you are not aware of. That's like saying Miyamoto doesn't have an effect on designers anymore.

No I am aware of this, I'm just pretty much bashing it for making such a great workable game mechanics go wrong after the 1st MGS. I don't mean to bash every MGS game, that would be silly. MGS2 deserves to be bashed though as it was pretty much sickening to play and didn't even have a good ending, no matter how "complexed" it may have been *sarcasm*. They made it work again in MGS3 without the radar and the Camo system which I actually thought was a great advancement from MGS2. Then I picked up MGS4 and that's where it all went wrong.

I will stop bashing it though, I know its one of the most "respected" games of its genre and apparently 99% of the world disagree's when all you have to do is go on a proper forum like IGN or take a real game reviewer and ask what was thought of MGS4 and ask him to list out every mistake in it (Which I know a lot of games have, mistakes, just not as many as this game carries).

Though I have to agree with you, the fights with Revolver Ocelot and Raven were really shortened by the fact you could switch to FP view which made most of the bosses in the game incredibly more easier then what they were already in the original version of MGS for the PSOne.

Still is it odd to say that I actually liked Metal Gear Acid a lot more then MGS2? 0.0

Posted by Fate

If you liked Ac!d more than MGS2, then the series as a whole is really not meant for you.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vasioth;872190]They made it work again in MGS3 without the radar and the Camo system which I actually thought was a great advancement from MGS2.

This is the game where you can't see where the **** you're going and have to open a menu screen and change clothes every time you squat in a different coloured bush or lie down in different coloured grass? Fiddlier, more illogical mechanics are progress to you?

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Vasioth: And LOL I had to admit I actually liked the post above me. Maybe it is a percise assumption of what I am on these forums, still.

Hear that, fanboys? Hold on tight to your foolishly presumptuous beliefs, 'cause he's COMIN' FOR YOU.

Quoted post: Anywho, everyone knows that Twin Snakes had broken gameplay for a variety of reasons, including the first-person shooting ability taken from MGS2.

I liked the FPS ability :o

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I think when he means 'broken' he's referring to how it imbalanced the gameplay.

Yeah, I got that. Didn't bother me one bit! Made the controls less frustrating if anything.

Posted by Vasioth

Quoting Fate: If you liked Ac!d more than MGS2, then the series as a whole is really not meant for you.

But then I don't think Raiden was really made for the MGS Series too right? I mean if there ever is another MGS game (which there won't be now hopefully, Snakes no longer going to be the protagonist which would put me off a bit from buying new ones) and you have to play that feminen character again I'd rather play Acid altogether. Not to mention the story in the 2nd one was rather... bad? I mean fair enough it had its moments and shined as a bright and glorious example for MGS, then later fell down a black hole and died a slow and painful death... again.

Infact it was good enough to make me play it to the end so maybe I should stop contradicting what I say from now on and stop bashing this game altogether as I own them all anyhow and did enjoy them at one point or the other (aside 4 for some reason, I couldn't get into it very well, the Cinematic scenes went on forever...)

Posted by WillisGreeny

Back to Metal Gear, AGAIN? Fuuuuck. Just when I thought everything that could be said about Metal Gear and Metal Gear Sold had been done; spanning across several threads, with VGC members draining all their time and resources in proving the other wong; it comes back alive stronger than ever. How the hell did this happen?

I read BB's article. Solution: Owner's of studios should stop being in such a **** hurray to finish art.

Quoted post: I mean if there ever is another MGS game (which there won't be now hopefully, Snakes no longer going to be the protagonist which would put me off a bit from buying new ones)

MGS4 was the end of Solid's adventure. They're already started to talk about another MGS, whether it'll include Big Boss or some new character who knows.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Iron Koala;873003]Back to Metal Gear, AGAIN? Fuuuuck. Just when I thought everything that could be said about Metal Gear and Metal Gear Sold had been done; spanning across several threads, with VGC members draining all their time and resources in proving the other wong; it comes back alive stronger than ever. How the hell did this happen?

I read BB's article. Solution: Owner's of studios should stop being in such a **** hurray to finish art.

Assuming that games are a valid art form, not all games are intended as art. It's very difficult to make any money from games at all, that's why sometimes the game has to be pushed out the door before they run out of money.

Posted by Vasioth

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: MGS4 was the end of Solid's adventure. They're already started to talk about another MGS, whether it'll include Big Boss or some new character who knows.

Oh, I wouldn't mind if you got to play as Big Boss again to be honest. But I realy need to consider actually finishing the end of MGS4 which is my downfall point (I'm at the end of it literally).

Posted by Skitzo Control

I have understood why good games go bad for a long time, but I really only noticed it when Fable came out. Fable was a game that was meant to be massive, the size of Morrowind or Oblivion, with all of the features of REAL LIFE! But then it disappointed me, and many others, to be little more than a hack and slash adventure game. It was pushed out the door a little early, probably once the budget had been over-stepped a bit.

This is one thing I hate about gaming companies. As a gamer, I am willing to wait for a good game. Rare made us wait how long for Banjo-Kazooie and Perfect Dark? And once we got the game, it didn't matter! Most game companies need to realize that gamers care about the quality of the game, and are willing to play the same game they've been playing for months until a better one comes out. With that said, I'm going to go play some Halo and Call of Duty, maybe try to Full Combo "Cult of Personality" on Guitar Hero, and hope and pray that 3DRealms is actually working on Duke Nukem Forever, and I'll see it and play it before I die.

Posted by Speedfreak

I find it kind of ironic that the better Zelda games were the ones they did actually "push out the door", or at least didn't worry over it so much that they'd delay it multiple times.

Posted by Vasioth

Yeah but I never really liked Twilight Princess that much for some reason. I mean it had practically everything you could just about ask for in a Zelda game... but it still felt like something was missing and it wasn't as addictive as other Zelda titles such as Majora's Mask, OTT or ALTTP. Or maybe you meant TP due to the fact you said "delayed it multiple times".

It could just be me though that never really liked TP that much at all..

Wasn't WW horribly rushed? IDK DUDE

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Wind Waker was shoved out the door prematurely because of the huge games drought the Gamecube had. There is soooo much half-baked content hidden on the disk.

If it took its time it'd be the best Zelda, hands down. SHAME

Posted by Vasioth

But wait wasn't the Minish Cap another rushed game which ended up turning out pretty well? Or are we talking about real Zelda Sequels now (And Not GB/GBC/GBA/DS Zelda's)?

Wind Waker did have a lot of flaws but I didn't actually mind it at all. I'd still preferably play it over TP, yet the constant sailing parts became pretty boring after awhile...

And half baked content?

Like dungeons and sailing.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Minish Cap wasn't rushed, to my knowledge. Remember playing through it, and nothing seemed rough around the edges. Wind Waker definitely wasn't finished, though. There are almost six unfinished dungeons, as Vampypoo pointed out, most of the islands are much smaller than initially realized, and one of the items shown in early previews never made it into the final build (some kind of lantern/torch).

Which is a shame, a lantern could help light the way to our hearts, Vampiro. :love:

Posted by Speedfreak

I guess the difference between Wind Waker and games like Majora's Mask and Link's Awakening is the latter two were always supposed to be quick projects. They weren't rushed in the sense that they were sped up. I agree for sure that games should be finished properly like Wind Waker should have been, but not delayed to make them "absolutely perfect" like Ocarina of Time (seriously) and Twilight Princess.

Yeah. Delays aren't a bad thing, but every once in awhile they come back and bite you in the ***. Which is a shame, because not only are we made to wait, we've then waited for a game that's been picked apart and "over-polished"

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

TOO HUMAN YEEEEEEEEEAH!

Posted by Vasioth

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: we've then waited for a game that's been picked apart and "over-polished"

Such as Twilight Princess right? I don't know if I thought it was a tad too "over-polished" and Lotr's like =\ but it never made it a better thing in the slightess.

And oh I thought the Minish Cap wasn't in development long, could be wrong. But even as an example, the Minish Cap was still great for a Zelda game.

Minish Cap isn't the type of game that needed to be in development for years.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Twilight Princess seemed to be a little rushed too. The last stretch was lazily done.

Yet it was delayed quite a bit. Go figure!

Though I still liked it :o

Posted by Speedfreak

Twilight Princess just had shitty design to begin with anyway, it was a polished turd.