id Software's Rage: 3 discs on 360!?

Posted by Big Boss

Tech genius John Carmack talks about the Xbox 360 version of id's upcoming game Rage requiring 3 DVDs to match the quality of a single PS3 Blu-ray version of the game.

[quote]http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=19675

Could the Xbox 360 version of id Software's Rage look worse on the Xbox 360 than on the PlayStation 3? Speaking at the ongoing QuakeCon event in Dallas, Texas, id Software co-founder John Carmack warned that two-DVD compression - as opposed to a single Blu-ray disc - could degrade the the forthcoming action title's look.

As reported by Shacknews, Carmack indicated that the company had originally intended to release the Xbox 360 version on three DVD discs, if not for Microsoft's royalty fees.

The game, due on PC, Mac, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, still has no solid release date, and Carmack said he hoped to reach a concession with Microsoft.

If not, the game

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

lazy developing

Posted by Speedfreak

I guess I was epically wrong about how necessary a larger disc format would be.

Does anyone even give a **** about Rage?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

id Software as a whole haven't made an interesting game in a long time. Quake Wars lol

Fallout with cars.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=The X;870108]id Software as a whole haven't made an interesting game in a long time. Quake Wars lol

id don't make games. They make graphics engines and tech demos.

Posted by #061402

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: lazy developing

Lost Odyssey.

Posted by Big Boss

I loved Doom 3, even if I didn't get to finish it (I'll get back to it at some point). I'm definitely looking forward to Rage. The only franchise I could care less about is Quake. The last one I liked was Quake II.

Quoted post: Lost Odyssey.

RPG != fps drivan game

Posted by Aioros

Quoting The X: id Software as a whole haven't made an interesting game in a long time. Quake Wars lol

[COLOR="Yellow"]Look, John Carmack has been too busy building a rocket ship to worry about games.[/COLOR]

Posted by #061402

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: RPG != fps drivan game

Oh yeah, you have a point there.

Posted by Sr. Arrogant Bastard

i llove how they avoid that pretty soon you are going to be able to put the games right into your hardrive and eliminate the need to load discs, but only 3 discs? i was under the impression that it would be 6 dvd's for one blue ray, guess i was wrong.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Doesn't use whole Blu-Ray.

Quoted post: i llove how they avoid that pretty soon you are going to be able to put the games right into your hardrive and eliminate the need to load discs, but only 3 discs? i was under the impression that it would be 6 dvd's for one blue ray, guess i was wrong.

You already need to install discs on your HDD to improve load times on the PS3. MS is releasing a similar feature, but you're not forced to do it.

And hardly any PS3 game uses a full disc, and if they do it's because they're trying to, not because they have to.