load needed DLLs for HAL error

Posted by Slade

This morning, my computer seemed to restart out of nowhere, and now I get a "load needed DLLs for HAL" every time I start up. By reading online I found out it might be a memory problem, which would make sense because my computer's been getting massively slower lately. It never had much memory to begin with, but I never had problems until this summer.

Does anyone know of a good fix for this? I read about checking my memory settings and such, which I think you do through Setup... But I also read that it could be a virus that deleted some key files. Either way, what should I do?

Keep in mind that my copy of the Windows XP cd is long gone, and I can't do any updates or anything like that.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

It's a virus based on the Space Odyssey movies.

Posted by Slade

So if I watch them, I'll unlock the secrets of the virus and be able to stop it?!!

Or what, I need to replace some files? Is there any way to do this without having any sort of official Windows repair disc? I've still got Knoppix on CD, so I can get into my computer and mess around...

I honestly don't know how to fix this. It's come up a couple times at my work and I just had to replace one of the sticks of ram to fix it. That COULD be it or it could be something else, like a virus overwriting the files for example. Can't help beyond the ram fix, sorry!

Posted by Klarth

[url=http://memtest.org/#downiso]memtest[/url] is a memory testing utility for x86 computers. Run that. Certainly sounds like dodgy RAM to me.

Posted by n64 man

And if that doesn't work, ask the freaks & geeks at this site.... http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22

Posted by Slade

Alright, thanks doods. Gonna try the memory test thing, then flip out if it doesn't instantly fix my computer forever.

just need a new stick of ram. for like forty bucks.

Posted by Slade

Yeah, probably gonna do that, since I can't get that memtest thing to work.

another of life's problems has led to the same solution: GET A JOB