Commonplace things you struggle with

Posted by Klarth

Or, **** you can't believe you only just figured out.

I only realised that "AKA" stood for "also known as" a few years ago.

I still have trouble with units of measurement. Most specifically weight.

slowpoke.jpg

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Mental arithmetic involving numbers not ending in a 5 or 0. I got an A for my final high school exam in Maths, but I still have trouble doing 17 + 29.

Typing with more than two fingers, and using the shift key to type capital letters.

Donkey Kong Country 2 is not called Diddy Kong's Quest. And, in turn, Diddy's Kong Quest = Diddy's Conquest.

Posted by #061402

I thought "GTFO" stood for "get the **** off" until only a while ago. Mainly due to fags saying "GTFO my /b/"

Posted by The Judge

Most forms of mental math.

Working out a schedule for timed events (I'd be terrible at comic-con).

Posted by WillisGreeny

Pleasentries. I've always hated small talk, so as a child I'd avoid every oppurtunity that presented using it. Now, I'm an awkward SoB.

Posted by Slade

Pastries. I've always hated small things, so as a child I'd avoid every oppurtunity that presented eating them. Now, I'm an awkward SoB.

I need some sleep. I guess sometimes I struggle with that.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Speaking of math I struggle with all math that doesn't include subtraction or addition, whether mental or written. I actually don't know how to write out and solve a multiplication question.

but that's boring, more later.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

x3
__

SOLVE

I can't do numbers that are double digits or more. so, like 23x45. I've forgotten what you do for the part before the line lol

and I'd have to solve that your question with my fingers... so bad at math

Posted by WillisGreeny

[quote=Slade;868176]Pastries. I've always hated small things, so as a child I'd avoid every oppurtunity that presented eating them. Now, I'm an awkward SoB.

I need some sleep. I guess sometimes I struggle with that.

Oh you. ;)

Posted by Iris

Haha, I'm better at math than Vamp.

I struggle with selective listening. My ears work fine but I have lots of trouble hearing what other people say when there's other noises, quiet or not.

everyone is better at math than me

Posted by WillisGreeny

My math philosophy: Doing math isn't hard, learning it is.

Just a bunch of tricks and if statments, really.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

this is true

maths isnt difficult to do, it's just remembering each step of a formula that is

I'm pretty good with algebra and formulas related to it. Just not the numbers. I never learned my multiplication tables, but I learned all the formulas, so idk.

UNLESS it's applied math. Like written word algebra. Really bad at applying formulas.

Posted by The Judge

No, I really can't do math. It's to the point where occasionally around the house I just yell equations when I need them in vague hopes someone answers me.

Example would be while playing Psychonauts in the living room, for every 9 psicards you have you can get an item if you combine them with one psicore. I had 45. I just yelled "Hey, what's the nearest divisble of 9 to 45?"

I was answered with "5" and derisive laughter, and went about my business.

Posted by Ant

thinking of things to say for these kind of threads

Posted by Corrupt

I'm decent at mental math, but like someone else mentioned, I can't calculate double digit multiplication that doesn't end in a 5 or 0. I can do long division in my head, though, which surprises some people. Including me.

[quote=Iron Koala]Pleasentries. I've always hated small talk, so as a child I'd avoid every oppurtunity that presented using it. Now, I'm an awkward SoB.

I could NOT agree with you more. I guess it's not so much that I'm incapable of doing it, I just despise doing so. It's especially frustrating when I realize that I live around people who insist on me putting up a sugary sweet facade around them when I'd do almost anything to tell them to fuck off and leave me alone.

[quote=Ant]thinking of things to say for these kind of threads

This too. I'm sure I'll come up with some more later, as I know I have plenty of flaws.

I avoid small talk by rambling! I enjoy it too. Never really know what I'm gonna say until I say it and so far it hasn't steered me wrong. As far as I know anyways.

Quoted post: This too. I'm sure I'll come up with some more later, as I know I have plenty of flaws.

Yeah, gotta kinda be reminded of my flaws to really recognize them as such.

Only thing I can really think of is getting severe panic attacks from being out too long. Had this problem since grade 5 or thereabouts, and I'm not sure the cause, but after awhile of being out or being out consecutively for many days I get terrible headaches and fairly severe nausea. Doesn't matter the situation whether I'm surrounded by people or by myself, in an open area or in an enclosed space I just have an intense desire to return to my home. BUT I'm pretty used to it so it's not too bothersome, but if I keep it up for awhile I'll get super sick for a couple weeks. Probably explains my very, very poor attendance in school and why I chose a job where I can largely work from home.

Posted by Corrupt

OH, just thought of another major one. One thing I've always had difficulty doing is keeping in touch with friends, both offline AND online. It's not that I like the person any less (well, that's not always the case :D), it's just that there's something that keeps me from taking the initiative to call them, set something up, etc. Same goes for signing on messenger and talking to people on a regular basis. At one point I actually had about ten AIM names, each one with one or two people that I'd talk to assigned to it. I couldn't (and still can't) stand talking to more than one or two people at a time, and even then it's not usually for very long. I just get fed up and leave. I need to tell more of my friends that if they really want to keep in touch with me, they need to call me and set stuff up. Then I'll usually be perfectly content to accompany them, though there are still those times when I'll ignore them or tell them to do something without me. Yeah, I'm not exactly the most social person. Sometimes at social gatherings I'll be enjoying myself along with everyone else, doing whatever, until something just snaps and I turn a sharp 180 degrees. My demeanor changes completely and I get desperate to get the hell out of wherever I may be at the moment. I guess I just reach a limit at a certain point. My short term memory is shot, too; I'll think about something one second and literally forget about it ten seconds later.

Oh, and I REALLY hate brushing my teeth; it's been that way since I was a kid. I usually have no problems keeping other aspects of my hygiene intact, but I'll only brush my teeth every once in a while when I force myself. Six teeth pulled out, countless trips to the dentist, and months doped up on morphine to ease the pain, and I still find it difficult to give a shit. I'm really going to have to push myself on that, though. :(

Posted by Iris

Small talk sucks because it's so insincere. Still, gotta do it with people you know, or else real conversations with them will be scarce and awkward.

Posted by cool gamer dad

huh, mental math is one of the only things I'm good at. even with really weird decimal answers like 56.4/7. Usually not off by more than one decimal place, so I;m gifted in that regard I guess.

not much else though

I walk out of the house with the door open and with the faucet running and the range on. I lose things extremely easy, and everything is always scattered and completely disorganized. I have trouble holding a conversation and focusing for more than a minute in general. I'd swear I'm mentally impaired at times. : /

Posted by #061402

My entire family is bad at math, however we make up for it with being quick learners. At least when it comes to languages and grammar and such.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Corrupt: OH, just thought of another major one. One thing I've always had difficulty doing is keeping in touch with friends, both offline AND online. It's not that I like the person any less (well, that's not always the case :D), it's just that there's something that keeps me from taking the initiative to call them, set something up, etc. Same goes for signing on messenger and talking to people on a regular basis. At one point I actually had about ten AIM names, each one with one or two people that I'd talk to assigned to it. I couldn't (and still can't) stand talking to more than one or two people at a time, and even then it's not usually for very long. I just get fed up and leave. I need to tell more of my friends that if they really want to keep in touch with me, they need to call me and set stuff up. Then I'll usually be perfectly content to accompany them, though there are still those times when I'll ignore them or tell them to do something without me. Yeah, I'm not exactly the most social person. Sometimes at social gatherings I'll be enjoying myself along with everyone else, doing whatever, until something just snaps and I turn a sharp 180 degrees. My demeanor changes completely and I get desperate to get the hell out of wherever I may be at the moment. I guess I just reach a limit at a certain point. My short term memory is shot, too; I'll think about something one second and literally forget about it ten seconds later.

Oh, and I REALLY hate brushing my teeth; it's been that way since I was a kid. I usually have no problems keeping other aspects of my hygiene intact, but I'll only brush my teeth every once in a while when I force myself. Six teeth pulled out, countless trips to the dentist, and months doped up on morphine to ease the pain, and I still find it difficult to give a shit. I'm really going to have to push myself on that, though. :(

Are you me.

The only difference between us in your list is that I started brushing my teeth again after three years of not doing a **** thing (blame not having my mum yelling at me about it). It's an easy routine to get into once you're past the daily oral bloodbath stage.

Posted by WillisGreeny

I wonder how the hell the floss companies stay in business.

Posted by Ant

easily I'm sure. keep in mind this IS a video game based chat forum.

Posted by WillisGreeny

I don't follow. Video games are fun. Flossing sux, and nobody likes doing it.

Posted by The Judge

I hate flossing, and the few times I do, it's on such an infrequent basis that my gums bleed.

Posted by Ant

bad hygiene. I mean, I don't like to floss either. but most other people I know don't seem to mind doing it.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I gave up brushing my teeth for a couple of years, went back to do doing it, and the first time I spat out paste it was brown with little pools of blood in it. Awesome in a disgusting way. Makes me wonder what the **** people in days of yore did.

Posted by Ant

you all must have had horrible breath. :D

I don't have a problem brushing my teeth. I find showering to be a mighty unpleasant experience though. One I'm forced to do every day, or at least every other day. The whole process is too time consuming and if I had the choice I'd just never shower. ALAS, odor isn't cool.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Oddly enough, I dispize brushing my teeth unless I'm IN the shower.

Posted by #061402

I don't mind showering or brushing my teeth. I just tend to brush my teeth only if I'm going away someplace. Although I tend to shower almost every morning.

wouldn't you just brush your teeth while you're showering?

Posted by Shade

Quoting #061402: I don't mind showering or brushing my teeth. I just tend to brush my teeth only if I'm going away someplace. Although I tend to shower almost every morning.

I do this too.

I guess my thing is that I can't just sit down and study for the life of me. I'll be at my desk, pencil out, notepaper ready, books cracked open... and I lose interest in the subject matter in about two minutes. I just can't concentrate on it (or anything, really) long enough to actually get something done. Not my fault they make the internet more entertaining than schoolwork. I do well enough on tests anyway, so I guess it doesn't make a difference now, but I suspect I'll be ****ed once I get into college.

[quote]I thought "GTFO" stood for "get the **** off" until only a while ago

...It doesn't? D:

studying is for chumps. just pay attention to the lectures and take basic notes to assist in your remembering the topic. Referring to notes, for me anyways, just ****ed me up on tests. Study the wrong thing or remember it in a different order or whatever. But if I just let myself recall the lectures or the hand movements from writing my notes I was far more accurate and did far better.

plus, chumps, etc

Posted by Ant

I just didn't like taking notes, in general. and look at me now!

night shift in a holiday inn

Posted by Ant

****ING TOP OF THE WORLD

Posted by ExoXile

[quote=Shade;869018]
...It doesn't? D:
Get the **** off.

But since it's only letters it can mean anything!

I also suck at the toothbrushing part, although I've been good for a couple of years now, since my dentist told me to stop being lazy and brush'em, it's bothersome, but, whatever.
I've never flossed, and never will.
Lol, strings are for queers.

And I hate being wrong.
Or no, not really.
I hate not knowing.

And I hate when someone else is certain when they're wrong, always ****es me off.

Hmm, and I don't like the formal talk, either.
I'm probably lucky for not meeting a cop in the US, there's be no "Y ello thar, Sir!"
Lol, sir.

Posted by Shade

I also struggle with a Spanish accent. Always comes out French-Canadian.

man, that's the best accent ever.

Posted by Ant

Quoting Shade: I also struggle with a Spanish accent. Always comes out French-Canadian.

mine normally comes off as indian. some my impression of my one friends mom is kidna funny.

Posted by The Judge

"Joe you just drink and gamble, you never sleep!"

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Only accent I can do well is Indian, and that's because it's pretty much a job requisite. Every time I sell a credit card to someone in the store I have to phone an Indian call centre to validate it. They don't seem to understand you unless you talk like Apu.

Posted by #061402

Please come again!

Posted by mis0

I struggle with math in general, most specifically calculus. So much so that I very likely failed my calculus final this morning and therefore the entire class. It will be the first time I ever failed something so I'm feeling pretty :( about it.

Relating to the current bit, I can do a variety of accents pretty well. I've taken several years of Spanish and German, so that's probably why I've learned how to emulate them.

Posted by Shade

Are you for scuba? As long as you are for scuba, I am 'appy!

He had the best accent ever.

Posted by Ant

who had the what now?

Posted by Slade

I thought about this for a long time, and finally figured out what I struggle with. The alphabet!

I can recite it just fine, but I'm terrible at figuring out, say, whether J is before or after T without starting from the beginning and going through it mentally. My mind gets super muddled if I try to reason it out any other way. So either I suck at it, or everyone else does the same thing and no one has never told me. ^,_________,^

I also struggle with right and left when I have to say it suddenly. Like in games or when someone is driving and I need to give directions. I always say right when I mean left and vice versa. Most people just know well enough to know I meant the opposite.

Posted by The Judge

Wow. That's just retarded. You're retarded, CJ.

=(

Posted by Alastor

Brushing your teeth in the shower is actually a good idea. Makes both processes seem less of a chore when you knock them out together.

Can't think of anything original. :(

Hate small talk and I kinda suck at math in general, particularly anything higher than Algebra I, etc.. Not as bad as Judge and his Psychonauts story, but more the "if it doesn't end in 5 or 0" thing. I can do 7s pretty well, though. THANKS, FOOTBALL!

Posted by #061402

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: I also struggle with right and left when I have to say it suddenly. Like in games or when someone is driving and I need to give directions. I always say right when I mean left and vice versa. Most people just know well enough to know I meant the opposite.

Oh yeah, I suffer from this as well. Gotten better over the years, but if someone is screaming at me to go left or right in, say, some racing game, all I can think of is a lonely tumbleweed roll by.

"WHERE DID YOU GET SHOT FROM?!"
"UH LEFT SIDE"
"ALL RIGHT THANKS. I'LL GET HIM"
"**** I DIED *******IT"
"wait, I meant the right"

I could single-handedly bring down my entire team in rainbow six with my awesome directions.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I have a really big birth mark on my right hand, so I never forget.

Posted by Ant

"THE X WHERE DID YOU GET SHOT FROM?"

"WELL, MY BIRTHMARK IS ON MY RIGHTHAND SO THE RIGHT!"

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Pretty much.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Ant: you all must have had horrible breath. :D

No longer!

Posted by mis0

Quoting #061402: Oh yeah, I suffer from this as well. Gotten better over the years, but if someone is screaming at me to go left or right in, say, some racing game, all I can think of is a lonely tumbleweed roll by.

Annoyingly, this mixing up of left and right thing doesn't seem that uncommon. WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?

Posted by #061402

We all have Achilles' heels... :(

Posted by The Judge

That doesn't excuse you from having more than 2.

Posted by #061402

Hey, I can count up a few we all have. *Shrug.* Humans are so fragile, if you hit the right spots~

Or you could, of course, just run them over with a car.

Posted by The Judge

That won't stop me.

Posted by #061402

Such determination will get you further in life than anything!

Posted by ExoXile

Gott!

NEJ!

FUUUUCK FUUUUUUCK FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Quoted post: Annoyingly, this mixing up of left and right thing doesn't seem that uncommon. WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?

it seems pretty uncommon to me. Since, idk, I seem to be the only one that does it. THAT I KNOW

Posted by maian

I struggle at talking to people that aren't like me

I don't really have a lot of friends because of it

my wrists are pretty cut up

that's commonplace

right?

being a faggot is pretty common, yes

Posted by maian

:(

Posted by mis0

Quoting maian: I struggle at talking to people that aren't like me

racist.

sexist too!

Posted by Alastor

Quoting maian: my wrists are pretty cut up

haha

Posted by Stalolin

everything

Posted by maian

darkness

Posted by cool gamer dad

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: it seems pretty uncommon to me. Since, idk, I seem to be the only one that does it. THAT I KNOW

I do it. Every time.

"ok turn left here"
*turns right*
"your other left

**** you're so worthless

holy **** i raised a ****ing moron

jesus christ man pay attention"

"uhh sor-"

"DON'T TALK. ****ING FOCUS ON THE ROAD. THE ROAD DAN. FOCUS"

Posted by The Judge

Sexual Breadator.