How WMP works

Posted by Speedfreak

That's Wii Motion Plus, you saw the acronym here first!

Basically there's a video from the company behind the WMP technology that describes the difference between accelerometers (Wii Remote, Nunchuck) and gyroscopes (Wii Motion Plus), with visual aids and everything. Right here:

[URL="http://www.invensense.com/support/library.html"][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=2]http://www.invensense.com/support/library.html[/SIZE][/FONT][/URL]

Basically, acceleromaters alone are awful, they suck at tilt and get confused easily by gravity, but they can measure motion. Gyroscopes measure tilt very accurately without lag. Combined, accelerometers can use the data from the gyroscopes to stop themselves getting confused by gravity and can fulfil their original purpose much more easily, with the added benefit of the accurate tilt and orientation sensing abilities of gryoscopes.

It amounts to much more than sword-swinging. It could actually make the camera mounted on the end of the controller and the sensor bar completely obsolete, because the gyros would be far more accurate and wouldn't be at all bothered by things like light, objects being in the way or looking at the TV from a funny angle. It would also reduce the need for a "dead zone" on the screen to control when you start turning, they could simply use it exactly like a mouse with the added ability to measure the rotation of your wrist.

Posted by maian

I didn't actually watch it lol, but it sounds interesting.

I think the WMP could do freaking wonders for Nintendo, it's just a shame that Nintendo was too retarded to show any games that could make good use of it, besides WII SPORTS 2 LOL

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Weapons of Mass...Prostration?

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: It would also reduce the need for a "dead zone" on the screen to control when you start turning, they could simply use it exactly like a mouse with the added ability to measure the rotation of your wrist.

One would hope. Dead zones and fps games don't mix too well.

Posted by Speedfreak

I dunno, I like my entire viewpoint not moving when I alter my aim slightly. Mouse-like isn't exactly perfect either.

Having a dead-zone, in my opinion, slows down the game considerably. I don't know why more developers didn't create cover-centric shooters because that would essentially solve the problem. And that ****'s all the rage these days anyways.

Posted by Speedfreak

Because 3rd parties are shit-scared of Nintendo.

Posted by Fate

Wait, Nintendo has nothing to do with cover-centric third-party games on the system. If anything a lot more third parties want to shift to Nintendo to make a buck or two. :/

Yes, but unlike when they shifted to the playstation and ps2, they don't want to have to work for that buck or two. They're gradually starting to come around, it seems, actually making some good original content for the Wii, but it's taken a longer time than it should have.

I fail to see this good original content. Two or three games that look promising doesn't cut it.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Fate;868485][COLOR=skyblue]Wait, Nintendo has nothing to do with cover-centric third-party games on the system. If anything a lot more third parties want to shift to Nintendo to make a buck or two.[/COLOR] :/

They're not scared of the platform, you are correct. What I mean is they are scared of Nintendo as a game developer, they don't want to compete with them so they simply don't put out anything that have to fight with their 1st party titles for market share. Kind of ironic, really, because for the next 9 months games like The Conduit have nothing from Nintendo to compete with other than Animal Crossing and Wii Sports Resort, and the best other 3rd parties can muster are ports like Dead Rising or spinoffs no one's interested in, like Castlevania.

Posted by Fate

True. I think the other systems compete with each other in that regard, first party or not. I'm looking at Animal Crossing, LittleBigPlanet, and Viva Pinata. Soooooo cute.

WOOO VIVA PINATA 2

Posted by Ant

I'm actually curious what it'll be like to go back to Metroid Prime 3 with WMP. If it'll make a difference or not, cause MP3 had pretty excellent controls in it's own right.

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: I fail to see this good original content. Two or three games that look promising doesn't cut it.

These are my most anticipated 3rd-party games, in no particular order after the first one. The list wasn't even half as big as this a year ago:

Deadly Creatures
Sonic and the Black Knight
Lost in Blue: Shipwrecked!
de Blob
Arc Rise Fantasia
Mushroom Men: The Spore Wars
Castlevania Judgement
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
Little King's Story
Drawn to Life
Fragile: Farewell Ruins of the Moon
MadWorld
The Conduit
Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse
Mysterious Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer 3
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
Swords of Legendia

Quoted post: Sonic and the Black Knight

well, I lol'd

I liked Sonic and the Secret Rings. What's wrong about looking forward to a game by the same team who now have knowledge of what they got wrong in that game?

Posted by Speedfreak

Yeah, despite the ridiculousness of Sonic havig a sword at least it's the good Sonic Team behind it rather than the retards behind Sonic Adventure and the "next-gen" Sonic.

Comparing release schedules isn't really fair anyway. Nintendo only show off what's out in the next 12 months, Sony and Microsoft will tell you what's out in the next 24.