Final Fantasy IV DS

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Well, this game is ten times harder than it was on SNES, ****ing hell. I never remember having to grind this early in the game last time, but now a little troupe of mini-imps poses a genuine threat to my party. Jesus.

Posted by Zeta

"lol thunder... oh hey one enemy survived"
"Counter: Reraise"
"WHAT!?"

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Hahaha, yeah. That's bull****. I lost it when one of the mini-imps countered with hold and then stole all my MP.

Posted by Ant

***. GETTING THIS GAME TODAY. Favorite SNES Final Fantasy.

Posted by Roger Smith

I just got Tellah and I'm having to grind in the old waterways. It's hard, but oh *** I love it.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

they kept spoony bard :)

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=The X;866852]Well, this game is ten times harder than it was on SNES, ****ing hell. I never remember having to grind this early in the game last time

YOUR DEFINITION OF DIFFICULTY SEEMS TO DIFFER TO MY OWN.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Higher leveled enemies = more difficult to kill. hurrr durrr

Posted by Shade

40 dollars for a more frustrating version of a game I already have a remake of? No thanks.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I actually find it's getting less frustrating further in. Maybe I overlevelled, but the reworked Edward is a much bigger asset to the party.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=The X;866895]Higher leveled enemies = more difficult to kill. hurrr durrr

Yeah I know what you mean. I just think it's funny that designers think they've made their RPG harder by forcing the player to grind (not remotely difficult, just time consuming) and hope for better dice rolls (difficulty doesn't even factor in here).

Posted by maian

OH SNAP THIS GAME IS OUT?!

I swore to myself I'd buy this the first day it came out.

...But then again I finally bought Advance Wars: Days of Ruin to finally cure my long DS starvation so I think I'll be fine for now. :cool:

But gawd I want this one. Probably one of my top ten games.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Speedfreak;866901]Yeah I know what you mean. I just think it's funny that designers think they've made their RPG harder by forcing the player to grind (not remotely difficult, just time consuming) and hope for better dice rolls (difficulty doesn't even factor in here).It's actually pretty funny, because the game has a feature that allows you to give the CPU control of your characters during battles, meaning the game does all the grinding for you. Makes me wonder why it was included at all.

Posted by Speedfreak

Included what, the AI, the grinding or the game itself? Squaresoft are insanely stupid sometimes.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

The grinding. What's the point when you have automated levelling?

Posted by maian

BLAST, I just watched the GT review, and now I HAVE to buy it. :(

I forgot how much I fscking loved the original.

Posted by Iris

I've been meaning to buy it after playing the hell out of the GBA remake.

Posted by Slade

I started playing last night... It looks awesome, but I need to get used to the battle system. I guess "holding A" is now "pressing X for auto-battle." Anyways, looking forward to some intense dungeoning. and the monsters are so preeeettyyyy

Also, how do I use augmentations? I got Auto-Potion and gave it to Rydia, but can't figure out how to make her use it. so she's DYING, A LOT

Posted by Zeta

k, so I'm at the Tower of Zot.

And there's these blue bipedal monsters.

And they have this Ice Breath attack which hits all party members for like 1000 damage without the single ice-halving Flame Mail at this point of the game.

And they usually come in groups of two and immediately use Ice Breath in succession.

And the most HP anyone has is about 1500.

WHAT

THE

FUCK

[quote]Also, how do I use augmentations? I got Auto-Potion and gave it to Rydia, but can't figure out how to make her use it. so she's DYING, A LOT

Abilities menu. Since Rydia already has 5 commands you'll have to switch one of them out.

Also the augments you recieve from lost party members depends on how many augments you give said members, so it probably would have been more beneficial to save Auto-Potion for one of the mage twins or something.

Posted by n64 man

I can't wait to try this one out. In GI I read that around 3/4th's of the storyline was left out of the snes version and with this remake they decided to put much of it back into the game. Also, I've been waiting for a harder remake of FFIV, FFIV Advance took the difficulty up a notch but it sounds like they really stepped it up with this one.

"minigames tied to a summon for rydia"? WTF? I just saw this part in GI, skimming through it... anyone care to elaborate?

Posted by Zeta

Rydia has a new summon named Whyt, which costs 50 MP and takes Rydia's place in battle for a few turns. Whyt acts on his own and uses whatever abilities you assign him in the Abilities menu.

His stats all start at 0, and playing the minigames increases those stats based on your performance in the minigame. You can also win a few minor items like Cottages, Eye Drops, etc. based on your score, and if you get a perfect 9999 in a minigame you win an alternate outfit for Whyt to wear (You can also edit his face like a Mario Kart DS emblem).

When you first get access to Whyt you can easily max his Intellect, which makes his magic DEVASTATING. I did over 2000 damage to Mom Bomb with his Blizzard. Lord knows what it would have done to Octomammoth and the Ant Lion...

People can also have their Whyts fight each other in local wireless, but I haven't tried that since I don't ****ing know anyone around here with a DS.

Posted by Slade

Wow, that helps a lot, and saves me some gamefaqs-searching for sure. thx bro

Quoting Zeta: Abilities menu. Since Rydia already has 5 commands you'll have to switch one of them out.

Also the augments you recieve from lost party members depends on how many augments you give said members, so it probably would have been more beneficial to save Auto-Potion for one of the mage twins or something.

Weeeeeiiird, I thought I tried that. I remember clicking on Summon and then Auto-Potion and getting that DUN-UN sound that means you can't do that. Well, I'll mess around with it, maybe I have to keep summons there or something.

And yeah, I'll probably just restart because of that mistake, considering I can get to where I'm at now in half an hour.

Posted by Zeta

I just went to the new Developers' Room.

"Hi, I'm the producer, Asano. Let me personally thank you for playing FF4... WITH MY FISTS, THAT IS!"

Awesome.

Posted by maian

Still gotta try this one. Fscking love FFIV. :cookie:

I'm buying it today. Blasted $40 DS games. :(

Posted by maian

I got it today

I love it and all but

IS THERE ANYWAY TO SPEED UP THE RATE OF THE ATTACK BARS IN BATTLES? THEY MOVE SO SLOW GRAGH

Random battles take at least three times as long now because that stupid attack bar takes years to fully charge.

Posted by Ant

If I recall correctly there is a way to do so. Look in the menu, dumbass.

Posted by Slade

Yeah, you can change it in settings/config/options/whatever. I usually use 2 for regular battles and 3 for bosses.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Yeah:

- 1 for autobattle grindan
- 2 for mobs
- 3 for bosses

Posted by maian

It says "battle speed" so I said 6. :cookie:

I'VE BEEN HAD IF 1 IS FAST AND 6 IS SLOW

Posted by Slade

Quoted post: I'VE BEEN HAD IF 1 IS FAST AND 6 IS SLOW

...I'm pretty sure there's some indication on the screen that this is true.

Kinda funny to imagine that right after that he got into a random battle and had to wait even longer to act. :)

GOTTA BATTLE FASTER FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

HURRY UP AND REMAKE VI

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Gotta sit through the V remake first buddy. :cool:

they should just skip v.

Posted by n64 man

enough of the snes remakes.... Wheres my FFVII & FFVIII DS remakes?

Posted by Slade

NO! YOU SUCK!

Posted by n64 man

Seriously, they've remade the Snes FF games on 2 systems already, going on 3. I wanna see the playstation FF remakes now.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

FFVII and VIII don't really need remakes yet. Their gameplay and presentation aren't bordering on unplayable like the 16-bit ones are. Try playing SNES IV with the vanilla translation and whatnot. Really tedious.

Besides the fact that FFVII sucks and already had, what, four games based off the same timeline and a ridiculously likely remake about to be announced and that FFVIII is almost just as bad as VII, who gives a ****.

Posted by Ant

how bout some new franchises instead of remakes :O

Posted by Zeta

Why would anyone want something new?

[quote]they should just skip v.

Fuuuuuuuuuuck yoooooooouuuuuuu.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

FFV's main character was called Butz.

lol

Posted by Slade

NEEDS MORE FFII RIGHT GUYS?!

Best game ever. ...Only RPG I've ever quit after 10 minutes.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Final Fantasy I wassup

Posted by Slade

...I liked it a lot in Dawn of Souls. :( It was probably because at the time I had been rpg-deprived for a while, and I wanted something really simple and time-consuming.

Great travel game! Hours upon hours of mindless grinding! Hell, you can play it while you're driving.

Quoted post: how bout some new franchises instead of remakes :O

console only

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

ORIGINAL CONTENT?

ON A HANDHELD?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Posted by Zeta

I fought Zeromus a few days ago. He used one Black Hole (Neutralizes everyone's buffs/debuffs), one Meteor, a few Counter: Flares whenever I summoned Bahumut, and a ****load of Osmoses. No Big Bang.

****ing pathetic.

Posted by Ant

NOTHING FOR THE RPG KING ZETA!

and I just got through the Tower of Zot. ****er was hard. anytime I saw those ****ing icedogs I ran. had zero mp by the end and tellah was a fag and kept dying. PRETTY GAY. but the magus sisters were a lot easier than I remember.

Posted by maian

This game became considerably more awesome when I upped the battle speed! :cookie:

Anyway, I love it, and I know it'll last me awhile. I just got into Mysidia after the shipwreck. Nothing has really been much of a challenge yet, but I figure that'll change. The only thing that's even killed me recently was Mom Bomb when it exploded, but I braced with Yang and owned it afterwards.

Posted by n64 man

the only thing that gave me trouble this time around was that freaking Animated Wall or whatever it's called.

Posted by maian

Man, I forgot how awesome this game is. ;_;

Just got through the Tower of Zot. Just gotta kill fscking Barbariccia and I'll be through, but that shouldn't be too hard. She destroyed my entire party except for Kane in about two turns and him alone managed to take 90% of her health by jumping before dying. WHO KNOWS WHAT I COULD DO WITH TWO PEOPLE

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

A couple of bosses are easier if you ignore reviving certain fallen party members anyway.

Posted by Iris

[quote=maian;870331]Just gotta kill fscking Barbariccia and I'll be through, but that shouldn't be too hard. She destroyed my entire party except for Kane in about two turns and him alone managed to take 90% of her health by jumping before dying.

Interest in guys is a NO NO.

Posted by Mr. Final Fantasy

is this game HARDER than thee older one. I beat the other in a few hours. Like three

Posted by maian

It's harder. :cookie:

Still, not as hard as everyone has made it out to be. Not to me, at least. I've been pretty fine the whole way through.

Quoting maian: It's harder, but I could t beat it in three hours like you man. :cookie:

Still, not as hard as everyone has made it out to be. Not to me, at least. I've been pretty fine the whole way through.

yeah man. I beat it real quik ask me if you have any ????

Posted by maian

no man I don't have any questions but I'll be sure to ask you man

yeah brada you know how we do. maian and homies hit ya boy up for the best tips in da game. I can even tell you bout dat special level.

Posted by n64 man

Nah, gamefaqs has the best tips. Nuff said.

Posted by Slade

TOWER OF ZOT

ICE DONGS FROM HELL

Posted by maian

tower of zot was easy lol

I'm on the Sealed Cave, but I've taken a hiatus from FFIV to play the wonder that is FFVI. :cool:

Posted by Slade

hey buddy, suck my dick

haven't even really tried yet, you know. it was gettin late so i was like "sure why not look around" and i found the teleporter immediately so i could leave and save. then i walked around a little more those ice things were kinda annoying but not realy bad it was prety easy u kno took my 5 min and i was at the end boss was easy to

No really, how is it easy when two of them can easily kill my entire party in one turn? Zeta posted about the same thing, and he's an rpg maniac. u rly are good huih mainan

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Zot is easy if you run from Ice Dog encounters. The Magus Sisters attack each other if you cast dispell, and Barbaccia can only counter-attack. ****'s easy, son.

Posted by maian

idk, am I just a fag because I grinded?

...I don't think so, because the only reason I grinded was because I was in some massive line or something and decided to play, but didn't want to go into any dungeons or get into anything story related until I had some more time, so I just fought overworld monsters until I leveled a bunch. :cookie:

Even so, I wasn't even that far ahead of the expected party level and the ice dogs didn't give me that much trouble. There's some like, icemail in the first room which will make Cecil or whoever you put it on survive it anyway. =X

Posted by Ant

still, those dogs in general are annoying. I'm at the tower of babel and the fire ones are *******s.

Posted by n64 man

Kill off your characters & grind with just cecil & rydia for a while.

Also, I keep my character rows looking like this:

Cecil (back row)
Kain (front row)
Rydia (back row)
Edge (front row)
Rosa (back row)

Posted by Roger Smith

Wow, Cecil being one of the most powerful characters, in the back row? Surprised you don't have Rosa up there with him.

Posted by n64 man

Edge and Kain do plenty of damage in the front row and kain has pretty good defence, plus since edge duel weilds weapons, it only makes since to have him in the front to deal damage. Plus if anyone gets low hp, cecil taking the hits for them with cecil being in the back row, lets the damaged characters and cecil live long enough to wait for a cure spell to be cast.

Cecil takes damage for people when they have low hp... Him being in the back row makes him take less damage for said people and it really tends to help out in the long run and during boss battles, etc...

That's the same formation I've used for years btw, through any FFIV remake I've ever played, it works and it works good.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Roger Smith;871944]Wow, Cecil being one of the most powerful characters, in the back row? Surprised you don't have Rosa up there with him.My Cecil has Draw Attacks, so putting him on the back row makes sense. Kain/Yang/Edge are damage dealers, Cecil's a tank who occasionally attacks.

Posted by Roger Smith

I have my Cecil with counter, so I just stick him in the front and cover Rydia or Rosa.

Posted by maian

I H8 SEALED CAVE :mad2:

...It's not really hard. I can kill every single enemy in there by just hitting "fight" with every character, and they're usually dead by the time the last one even attacks. But for some reason, one random encounter will just kill me. :cookie:

Granted, I've only tried the dungeon at all twice, but the first time, I underestimated the CHIMERA BRAINS LOL, and they Blazed me twice. Today, I tried again, and a threesome of a Chimera Brain, the roof plant thing, and some Snakewoman killed me. :( It kind of sucked, because I tried running, and for some absurd unexplained reason, I couldn't run. :cookie: I probably could've won it easily if I just fought.

GOOD THING I HAVE FFVI ON THE SIDE :cool2:

Posted by Zeta

Just wait until the Red Dragons in Lunar Subterrane. Slowed one down and it still ****ing Thermal Ray'd me three times in near succession. So much progress lost.

Posted by Shade

Quoting Slade: NEEDS MORE FFII RIGHT GUYS?!

Best game ever. ...Only RPG I've ever quit after 10 minutes.

What does everybody have against FF2? I love that game. =/

Posted by Iris

The leveling up format is way too different for some people to enjoy. I had a hard time getting used to it too.

Posted by Roger Smith

The Giant is a fun place. Lol @ Namingway next to the save point.

Quoted post: still, those dogs in general are annoying.

dogs: the most annoying enemy in games.

Confirmed.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[IMG]http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/6061/ff4cgrydiaxm2.jpg[/IMG]

rydia confirmed for yuna slut recolor

Posted by Iris

It's final fantasy, they naturally look like sluts in the original models.

in a world of magic would ugly, non slutty women really exist? I'd think not.

Posted by maian

I WANT A FINAL FANTASY VI REMAKE RAAAAAGH

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

how many times per page, uguu

THERE HAS TO BE A FFV REMAKE FIRST

Posted by maian

Too bad FFVI is lightyears better. :cookie:

less than three.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Ugh, Final Fantasy III DS was a mess. LOL GUYS LETS NOT USE ONE OF THE SCREENS

Posted by Shade

I loved that game too. WHY MUST I LIKE ALL THE BAD FINAL FANTASIES

Which one was the good one, 8 or 9? I always get them mixed up.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

VIII was better IX. IT HAD GUNBLADE

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

IT'S A GUN

AND A BLADE

but VIII is with squal. Maybe neither was good and I'm way off?

Posted by Ant

The creator of Final Fantasy said his favorite was ix, which doesn't surprise me. but I didn't care for it much no sir.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

IX had ****ty designs and gave you two white mages. Whyyyy

Yeah, they both must've sucked.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[IMG]http://www.dfsm.org/layouts/games/final-fantasy/final-fantasy-ix.jpg[/IMG]

... look at those designs. just AWFUL

is that a huge rooster?

Posted by maian

Vivi looks cool. :cool:

...But Vivi is also a carbon copy of the original Black Mage design.

One beautiful thing about FFVI is that all the characters aren't cliche pieces of crap. Then again, we haven't seen CG versions of them. :(

ALSO, I've been wondering this, if we're not looking at the ultramegafag version in Kingdom Hearts 2, IS SETZER ACTUALLY OLD, OR IS HE ONE OF THOSE FAGGY RPG CHARACTERS THAT LOOKS BEAUTIFUL AND HAS SILVER HAIR?

Posted by Shade

beautiful with silver hair

it's final fantasy

Posted by maian

...**** it.

Well I'm going to pretend he's old, because he's just so much cooler that way. :cookie:

probably some gay **** like seph and those clones from AC

Posted by Shade

They were clones? I thought they WERE sephiroth. **** that part was confusing.

"IT IS TIME"

*bang zoom sephiroth appears fights and dies the end*