GameSpot: "Nintendo controllers facing possible ban"

Posted by Big Boss

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6194855.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop;title;3

[quote]The original suit sought to have Nintendo's Wii Classic Controller, Wii Nunchuk, GameCube controller, and GameCube WaveBird all deemed in violation of an Anascape patent for a "six degrees of freedom" interface device. A jury found that all of those products, with the exception of the Wii Nunchuk, infringed on Anascape's patent.

This is like Sony's force feedback debacle only, you know, 10x worse.

I wonder what the Nintendo fans that endlessly ragged on Sony for the feedback thing feel about Nintendo now. :/

Posted by S

Nintendo keeps shooting itself in the foot.

Posted by Klarth

My heartless corporation is better than your heartless corporation and I know exactly how business works

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

All a clever ruse by Nintendo to release more ****ty peripherals.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Nintendo has plenty of ways to avoid the ban. It's just a scare tactic to get them to pay up. We "ragged on sony" because they refused to pay and lied about why they weren't putting rumble in their controllers. "Rumble is so last-gen" and "Rumble interferes with the sensitive devices we use for the motion control" were my favorites.

Posted by Ant

This doesn't envolve the Nunchuck controler. Though it does involve the other analog controlers. Not that it really matters though. Classic controller sucks and lol gamecube.

Posted by Speedfreak

Apparantly they spent their time taking the Wii's controllers out of the crosshairs, since they don't actually make Gamecube controllers anyway. Then they're gonna take it to a higher court and argue that Anascape is a non-practising body (i.e. doesn't manufacture anything) and therefore cannot bitch about it.

I'm confused about Gamespot's account, they seem to contradict all the others I've read. Both the Wii Remote and Nunchuck are exempt from the case. But then Gamespot is a terrible website!

Either way, it's not comparable to the Sony/Immersion case because Immersion actually manufacture their technology, Anascape effectively exist to sue people for breaching their patents. They lack an official website and there's no business listing for them in Texas. There's also their arguement that they were going to enter the market but "Nintendo dogged the channel". Yeah, uh, bullshit.

If you want a real Nintendo lawsuit read about their price fixing in Europe about 8 years ago.

Posted by maian

Haven't there been like twenty articles about some major lawsuit Nintendo has faced, and then it turns into nothing? I'm not really worried.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Did you even read the article? This one was successful.

Still, $21 million? Nintendo made that much in the time since this topic was started.

Posted by Speedfreak

Nintendo appealed the $21 million, it was rejected and their controllers were banned. The ban is on hold while they appeal to another court.

Posted by #061402

Ah, capitalism. Never ceases to amuse you.

Quoting Speedfreak: Nintendo appealed the $21 million, it was rejected and their controllers were banned. The ban is on hold while they appeal to another court.

Right, and if they lose that appeal, they'll pay the royalties and/or change their technology. They're not going to just recall all of the controllers, refuse to make any more, and say something like "Analog control isn't necessary for our brand of gaming. We're releasing a controller which consists of a dish of liquid that you submerge your hand in, which reads the subtle electrical impulses from your brain to control the action on-screen. Watch out for the Nintendo Nervous System, coming this holiday!"

Posted by Fate

Quoting Prince Shondronai: Nintendo has plenty of ways to avoid the ban. It's just a scare tactic to get them to pay up. We "ragged on sony" because they refused to pay and lied about why they weren't putting rumble in their controllers. "Rumble is so last-gen" and "Rumble interferes with the sensitive devices we use for the motion control" were my favorites.

This lawsuit is on par with ****ty PR and ugly business practices of Sony! You can bring in PR quotes all you want, but the fact of the matter is that there is some patent in place and Nintendo violated it and doesn't want to pay, just like Sony didn't, by appealing the ban. It's a business and it will continue to run that way. Whether or not the patent is legitimate is still up in the air, but if it was used by this company in any way since the patent was put up then Nintendo is in some serious ****.

Nintendo, the $10+ billion company is in serious **** because of a $21 million fine that they would have to pay in order to keep using analog technology? They're only in trouble if they have to pay and they can't use the technology, even after that, which is not the way Apeescape is going to play it if their patent-squatting is rewarded, I'd wager.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I swear to ***, did ANYBODY read the actual report? The $21 million is a fine for infringing on patents. Paying it doesn't entitle Nintendo to use the analog technology. In order to prevent a ban on their controllers, they'd have to share the royalties or invest in an escrow account. Jeez.

Oh, Cthulu! Not an escrow account! Nintendo'll be bankrupt within a week!!!2 I read the frickin' report. I just didn't quibble over the details when noting the fact that nothing short of several acts of God in quick succession will make a dent in Nintendo's pocketbook or convince them to give up the analog control.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Nobody said this was going to bankrupt them, what are you babbling about?

Posted by Ant

he's mocking you for making a big deal about it.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I wasn't making a big deal out of it really, just saying 'wow, this one was actually successful'.

Yeah, Fate was making more of a big deal about it than you were. You were just nitpicking details. The royalties wouldn't be more than a few hundred grand after the fine is paid, I guesstimate. If Nintendo really wants to stick it to them, though, they'll find a way to alter the technology so that it does not infringe on the patent and patent the new technology themselves, adding a paragraph about Analscape with this picture attached: