Dead Rising: Chop Til You Drop

Posted by Speedfreak

First off, best name ever.

At first I dismissed this as a stupid port idea on the part of Capcom, I couldn't see a game praised for having a bajillion zombies on screen at once making sense on Wii.

Turns out it's not a port.

[QUOTE][B]

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

AND NOW LET'S LOOK AT A SCREENSHOT *DRUMROLL*

[IMG]http://kotaku.com/assets/images/kotaku/2008/07/drwiihead.jpg[/IMG]

WOW, I AM LIKE SO PSYCHED FOR THIS GAME

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote="Speedfreak"][COLOR=lightgreen][FONT=Tahoma]with the exploration of the old Resi's[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=lightgreen][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=Silver]Dead Rising has next to no exploration. It's six big areas.[/COLOR]
[/FONT][/COLOR]

Posted by Fate

Wait a minute, same guy, same location? There's like six different endings. We don't need to be in a mall again!

I'm a big Dead Rising fan so I'd probably have to get it, but let's hope that Capcom isn't pulling another MegaMan. I wanted a totally new experience considering the first game, but I guess this will be okay...

Posted by Prince Shondronai

My sister'll probably pick it up, so I'll give it a play through. Love the 360 game. If I could change one thing, though, it would be that the MegaMan Buster Cannon didn't just shoot tennis balls, but actual MegaMan projectiles that were insta-kill-strength. Naturally the cannon would be harder to find, but I hated doing next to no damage with those awesome things.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=The X;866558]AND NOW LET'S LOOK AT A SCREENSHOT *DRUMROLL*

[IMG]http://kotaku.com/assets/images/kotaku/2008/07/drwiihead.jpg[/IMG]

WOW, I AM LIKE SO PSYCHED FOR THIS GAME

3rd party Wii title in bad graphics shocker! You never really fought more than 8 people at once in RE4, so I'm not really bothered about the lack of zombies. Especially since it's a different game anyway. Shame about the lack of exploration, Dead Rising always came off as a single world whenever I saw it.

Posted by Panic!

This is the first I've heard of this, and I am psyched! I loved Dead Rising on 360, but since I don't have one, I don't get to play it much. I have a Wii though! Yes! :D

Nevermind. I guess you can get a real MegaMan arm cannon and a real laser sword in the game, if you know how.

Posted by Klarth

NEW WEAPONS:

Serrated katana
Serrated axe
Serrated baseball bat
Serrated shotgun

No serrated soccer ball? Fail.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

No camera in a wii game? Laughable. And besides the much needed fixes the game looks terrible. Graphically and in every other way.

Posted by Speedfreak

You didn't like the 360 one either did you?

Posted by Fate

If I recall correctly, he did.

Posted by Speedfreak

I thought he didn't and X did, hence his view that the changes are "fixes".

I liked it when I played it with a friend. I didn't run into as many issues because I was only playing half the time. I, however, didn't like it when I started playing it on my own account. I don't like the feeling of time restraints, and the lack of multiple save slots and no save anywhere got on my nerves before I got two hours in.

So, while I enjoy the core game I don't enjoy the flaws in its mechanics. And I think anyone can say having save anywhere and more lenient deadlines are an improvement and definitely a fix since those are really the only two things that bothered me (and stopped me from completing it on my own)

Posted by Fate

Man, it's only three days so you can play it again and prioritize **** like you couldn't before. It's not easy to do it because I went through several playthroughs to get it, but the Achievement for rescuing 50 survivors is definitely something to brag about. It's restricted to three days, yeah, but I'm almost certain the game was designed to be played at least twice. Lenient deadlines are gay.

Mass Effect was designed to be played three times and it didn't run into any problems like that. And ****, Majora's Mask was restricted to 3 days and it didn't run into any problems that plagued Dead Rising. DR just went about it a poor way. I mean, I can let deadlines slide, but not the way DR handled it.

Posted by Fate

Maybe I liked it more because I like not being able to breathe between missions.

It should be a choice in how you play the game. If you want to rush through it knock yourself, if you want to explore a bit and mess around you should be able to do that too. But, the game doesn't give you a choice.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;868483]Mass Effect was designed to be played three times and it didn't run into any problems like that. And ****, Majora's Mask was restricted to 3 days and it didn't run into any problems that plagued Dead Rising. DR just went about it a poor way. I mean, I can let deadlines slide, but not the way DR handled it.

Majora's Mask wasn't remotely restricted, you could travel through time. You didn't literally have 72 hours to save the world or face game over.

Which is my point... it's a "deadline" of three days without being a deadline. Thus no issues which arose in DR.

Posted by Speedfreak

How about the issue of it not being a fucking deadline.

Posted by Fate

Wait, wait, everything in Dead Rising is completely optional. You could explore and do whatever you want to do for three days and not figure out the story or save anyone. However, the game doesn't have exploring like Majora's Mask did, and any and all exploring could be done in the middle of saving people because there are small gaps of time reserved for error for saving them. Other things, like photo ops, may be best reserved for a different playthrough or you're going to have a crazy amount of things to do in one sitting.

I got Game Over quite often for not completing Inane Mission #5 or whatever. If time runs out on a mission here or there, the game just goes to a black screen that reads "OMG, you'll never know why there's zombies! You're such a failure, even if you live and catch the chopper home, so you don't even get to find out if you can do that."

Posted by Fate

There are some missions, like the bombs under the mall mission, that if you don't complete your game will end. But if you get to a mission like that one, you're probably trying to progress the story and if you fail you deserve to get a Game Over screen.

Quoted post:
Wait, wait, everything in Dead Rising is completely optional. You could explore and do whatever you want to do for three days and not figure out the story or save anyone.

I am unable to play games that way.

Posted by Speedfreak

Dead Rising sounds pretty badass, I think I'll get it when I finally get my 360.

Posted by Panic!

I remember playing Dead Rising on my friends 360. I would get pretty far, then it would start over. His 360 ended up getting the Red Ring of Death a few days later. :( I never did get to beat it.

Posted by Shade

I remember getting bored of mass zombie killing in about 10 minutes, then really ****ed off at all the "save the survivor" crap. If I'm in a mall infested by zombies, I'm not saving strangers, I'm grabbing the katana and battling my way to the helicopter as fast as possible.

Posted by Fate

Well, you can do that. But you'd be bored after the first day.

Posted by Speedfreak

Sounds like my experience with GTA, I can't derive any fun out of the "game" part of it.

Posted by Fate

You will have fun if you don't have the need to experience everything on the first playthrough.

And thus why I can't enjoy Dead Rising.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Fate;869093][COLOR=skyblue]You will have fun if you don't have the need to experience everything on the first playthrough.[/COLOR]

It's not that, I just don't find the gameplay remotely decent. It plays like a horrible, glitchy mess.

Posted by Speedfreak

Apparantly the Wii version will end up with over 100 Zombies on screen, compared to the 360s 300ish.

Totally called it.

http://www.aeropause.com/2008/08/read-a-long-with-nintendo-power-232-september-2008/

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

wow you're a ****ing prophet man

not like any of the screenshots showed that or anything

100 ZOMBIES? IT'S A MUST BUY NOW

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

TAKE THAT 360FAGS

WII IS FOR THE HARDCORE ONLY, U CANT HANDLE THIS

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=The X;871288]wow you're a ****ing prophet man

not like any of the screenshots showed that or anything

...the screenshots showed, like, twelve. I called it before shots were even shown. The hell is your problem?

Posted by ExoXile

X is just an *******.
Pay it no attention.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[IMG]http://i37.tinypic.com/35jcac6.gif[/IMG]

WHAT NOW 360FAGS

Posted by Fate

I hope that's the beginning of the stage where there are supposed to be like, three zombies.

Posted by Speedfreak

You'd have to really deep, burning hatred for the mere concept of a Wii Dead Rising to make yourself look that stupid while trying to slate it.

Posted by Fate

I think the point that X is trying to make here, albeit not so thinly veiled, is that one of the larger draws of Dead Rising is the hordes of zombies that are seemingly impossible to get through. If you played the game enough, you'd know there was a bottom level of the mall dedicated to packing as many zombies on screen as possible-- meaning it's very difficult to survive. Now that I give it more thought, only a hundred zombies at one time would make that underground level a hell of a lot easier.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

what i'm trying to say is that the 360 is finished, dumbass

6 zombies being drawn onscreen simulatenous... this is tech we aint seen before

I like how the guy has to try to actually hit zombies. As opposed to, you know, the complete opposite.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Fate;875195][COLOR=skyblue]I think the point that X is trying to make here, albeit not so thinly veiled, is that one of the larger draws of Dead Rising is the hordes of zombies that are seemingly impossible to get through. If you played the game enough, you'd know there was a bottom level of the mall dedicated to packing as many zombies on screen as possible-- meaning it's very difficult to survive. Now that I give it more thought, only a hundred zombies at one time would make that underground level a hell of a lot easier.[/COLOR]

I got his point, he just likes to make himself look like as much of a retard as possible while making it.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

you seem to be forgetting what website you are on

[url]www.vgchat.com[/url]

Posted by Speedfreak

Back when I retarded enough to the point where I should've been IPbanned permanently, VGC was actually pretty good.

Posted by Last Fog

Anyone who won't face the fact that they ruined the whole premise of the game is just being stubborn. That clip is pathetic.

Posted by ExoXile

X's is forgetting this isn't [URL="http://vgchat.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55"]DA.[/URL]

I could find a ****ing gif of Dead Rising for the 240 with only 6 zombies if I looked for it, too.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

ExoXile didn't watch the video. They confirmed that they can't get more than 10 zombies to draw onscreen at the same time.

Posted by Speedfreak

Fate herself said at the beginning of the game there's like 3 zombies. Capcom themselves have said they're going to get 100. A single video clip doesn't mean jack unless it happens to be attached to a quote by a Capcom dev that says something like "this is the most we're getting on screen". In which case, yes, it would be insanely pointless.

[quote=Last Fog;875473]Anyone who won't face the fact that they ruined the whole premise of the game is just being stubborn. That clip is pathetic.

Pathetic as it may be, it's not indicative of the entire game. That's beside the point anyway, the premise of the game has changed. They're taking a few of the ideas and are making a different game instead.

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting Speedfreak: Pathetic as it may be, it's not indicative of the entire game. That's beside the point anyway, the premise of the game has changed. They're taking a few of the ideas and are making a different game instead.
lol not really

That's most likely an excuse to make up for what the game will lack. Same mall, same environments, same guy running around with a shopping cart. I doubt anything changed significantly except for the lack of zombies (and waggle of course). And if they did actually change it, it's for the wrong reason, not because they wanted to do something fresh and innovative.

Posted by Speedfreak

The entire objective structure and combat has changed. They changed it because they already had the RE4 engine up and running on Wii and they could address some of the issues people had with the 360 game.

I don't really know what the right reasons to make a video game would be, they're all made for money anyway.

I personally have yet to see anything compelling from this Wii version other than the snappy, crunchy RE4 mechanics. I haven't even played the original yet so I can't form an opinion on an animated gif other than "yes, there are less zombies".

What the game will lack? Well, what it doesn't is a ****ty save system that made the first game garbage. So it has that at least.

http://kotaku.com/5039958/this-time-decapitate-zombies-with-your-wii+mote

umm... yikes.

Posted by Last Fog

You get to kill that little ***** poodle from the beginning, thats a plus.

Posted by Fate

It looks like fun, but I'm still wondering what they're going to do about my personal favorite parts, the underground and the park.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Oh man, just hearing stupid lounge jazz loop again makes my blood boil. It gets ingrained in your membrane.

Quoted post: the underground and the park.

You have to assume the underground will be cut. It serves no purpose other than to stuff as many zombies into it as possible. The park though, gonna suck.

Posted by Fate

But the bomb sequence and that butcher fight take place underground. :(

They can probably relocate it to somewhere else. It just wouldn't be the same, would it?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

As long as the park still has the convicts. Love that horrible rap music that plays when they harass you.

http://kotaku.com/5040381/dead-rising-wii-+-how-gimped-it-is

Really lame:

Quoted post: In order to maximize resources, Capcom had to sacrifice weapons. Any weapon that had a similar function as another has been condensed into one.

Quoted post: Of course the number of zombies on screen have been reduced, with the small demo level we experienced never showing more than a dozen zombies at a time, though they have upped variety a bit with the inclusion of evil poodle enemies and rare enemies like the electric police woman from the original game making her debut as a standard enemy.

Quoted post: The gun because much more important in the Wii version, as special melee maneuvers require that you stun your opponent with gunshots first. Even the lovable servo heads require a gunshot first, ruining the fun of running about willy-nilly tossing plastic heads all over the place.

Really cool:

Quoted post: Overtime mode is unlocked from the get, go

Quoted post: you no longer have to juggle side missions with your main objectives now that all of the side missions are require

Posted by Speedfreak

The gun stun thing was really cool in RE4.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Know what was the cooler part of RE4? Sniping zombies from 500 yards with the old bolt-action sniper.

Posted by Speedfreak

Funnily enough that's in this game with the exact same reload animation.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Whoops, forgot about the part where you shoot someone off a ladder.

Posted by #061402

****, overtime from the start? Cheaters.

Although in all honesty I think I'd still prefer having a crapload of zombies to brawl your way through.

Posted by Speedfreak

I have the 360 game (though still unplayed). I'm just interested in the end product of mashing two random good games together and seeing what happens.

Quoted post: The gun stun thing was really cool in RE4.

I'm going to assume this is sarcasm. Or I'm taking it wrong. As in you think it'd be a good idea to carry over to DR. Rather than it being a bad thing to carry it over. Thus sarcasm.

Posted by Speedfreak

Not really sure what you just said! I thought it was cool in RE4 (sincerity).

It was fine in a game like RE, but really lame in DR...

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Like Kotaku mentions, it won't work in DR. Stuff like the Servbot heads were good as quick 'GET THE **** OFF' weapons, but now I have to shoot? Naaaaah

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Don't really need the GTFO weapons anymore as there are only, what, 4 zombies in the entire game?

And all items that have the same effect have been condensed into one...

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Dead Rising Wii - How Gimped It Is

Appropriate title for the article.