wireless router fun

Posted by Slade

So today I got my Nintendo Wifi USB Connector in the mail. Worst thing ever.

After a couple hours of working through errors I ended up at an error related to either program interference or wireless router interference. I've decided it must be the latter, since I've already set the firewall to allow it and there are no other firewalls/protections in place.

I think the problem is that the router is set up with WPA security instead of the WEP. From what I understand, WPA is more heavily encrypted, and this ******* piece of **** can't handle that. But I was previously under the impression that the Wifi USB Connector was the solution to the problem of WPA security...

Anyways, I don't expect any of you to have all the info on the USB thing since none of the other ~1,000,000 replies to other threads I've read have been fully correct, or even relevant. So I'm wondering if there's any way for me to bypass the WPA security or change it to WEP. Keep in mind I'm not the administrator, and that the router's actually two floors below me in the landlord's house.

Any other methods/ideas would be super cool as well.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Wait, you have it plugged into your PC and you're getting WPA errors? Plugging into your PC should bypass that I thought. What happens when you disable it?

Posted by Slade

AGHHH

Well, the error I was getting was something like it couldn't find the IP address. It was definitely IP related.

But now I'm back to the error I got right before the IP error where it says

"Connected to access point but unable to connect to the server. Confirm connection settings and internet availability."

I just shut off the firewall completely and it still didn't work. :(

I think next I'll try unplugging the USB thing until it cools off, since even the gayest little things seem to have a huge effect on whether or not it'll work according to what I've read. Basically, it's a fickle, unreliable little thing.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Check your bit-rates. I had that as a problem, which just required lowering the bit-rate.

Posted by Slade

Alright, I'll try it! So... how do I change the bit-rate?

Posted by WillisGreeny

Should be one of the settings on your router, which you can access through the browser.

Posted by Slade

Ah, yeah, thanks. I realized it was something I could just google after giving it an ounce of thought.

I've spent wayyyyy too long on this thing for today, so I'll try that out in a couple hours or tomorrow and then come back and bawwww some more.

I did the same with my Wii. I was just like "**** this ****ing ****" and bought a lan adapter. I'd love to help you, dude, but I couldn't figure it out for the life of me and I tried EVERYTHING.

Posted by Fate

Close your connection and limit it to MAC addresses only. Register the Wii's MAC, along with any other consoles you have (this takes a lot of time, so be patient). And there you go.

Doesn't always work. That's one of the first things I did with mine.