Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World

Posted by Alastor

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_of_Symphonia:_Knight_of_Ratatosk]Basic info about the game, if you need it.[/url]

Some English clips have just been posted in the last few hours.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pP30_IjlJs]Emil and Marta in battle[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyeZVBihS8U]Emil alone in battle (Monster recruiting near the end)[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iugEE8fZbRY]Emil and Marta talking[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y-VdO8Y5PE]Marta and Lloyd fighting[/url] ("TITANS GO!" isn't voicing Lloyd anymore.)
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_PA-lBEehc]Richter confronts Marta, Emil objects[/url]

Surprisingly pleased with the voice cast so far. Emil's a tad girly, but that's about the only complaint I can muster right now. Even so, it fits well, as do the other voices.

Emil's battle voice isn't Johnny Yong Bosch, is it? Someone please tell me that's not ****ing Johnny Yong Bosch. Please. :(

An equivalent to Fields of Fonons from Tales of the Abyss will be returning, obviously, since in the video of Emil fighting alone, he performs Devil's Maw.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Werent you just asking for this game a couple of hours ago? Nice coincidence.

The Tales games always have such corny voice acting.

Posted by Alastor

...The more I ****ing listen to it... No. I'm convinced now.

Emil is ****ING JOHNNY YONG BOSCH.

The girly voice is identical to whoever the main kid was in Eureka 7, and the battle voice is identical to... Every other ****ing role the guy does.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Johnny Yong Bosch was a voice actor in Abyss, so that wouldn't surprise me.

Posted by Alastor

He's in pretty much everything Bandai touches.

Spoiler: He's going to voice Rossiu in the Gurren Lagann dub.

Posted by Iris

****, I wish the ToS monsters were still in tact and they didn't take all of abyss's. Hopefully the original cats will use ToS spells and not ToA incarnates.

Posted by Nazo

I'm a pretty big fan of the Tales games. Legendia not so much though... Symphonia and Abyss were nice. But bawww at Lloyd not being voiced by Robin's voice actor. :\ I thought he had a good voice for the role.

...not that the Tales games have many different voice actors. >_>

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Huh, I don't recall ToS looking so bland, unless my memory is throwing on a ton more polish than there was. That took me by surprise. But still, it's ToS. Can't go wrong.

Luckily it's coming some months after Vesperia. I won't get burned out on the series with a nice break in between.

Posted by Alastor

Quoting Nazo: But bawww at Lloyd not being voiced by Robin's voice actor. :\ I thought he had a good voice for the role.

For the original ToS, yeah, but for this one... It's been two years. Lloyd's 18 years old and seems a lot more matured since the last game. Having the exact same voice as he did in the original would be a bad idea.

I'm curious as to whether or not the rest of the original VAs will show up, because Lloyd's made two appearances since Symphonia came out (Soul Calibur Legends and Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology), and Scott Menville didn't voice him in EITHER of those. I figure he just doesn't want the role anymore. I know the woman who did Raine said she'd love to reprise that role, though, so we'll see soon enough.

@ Vamp: It's just a more realistic style than ToS had. ToS had the whole cartoony cel-shaded look, whereas Abyss had the whole quasi-realistic anime look. ToS 2 takes on the latter. I'm glad, personally. Replaying Symphonia after having played Abyss, I couldn't shake the feeling that all of the characters looked like kids.

Posted by WillisGreeny

I didn't play Abyss, so this game will seem very new to me. ToS was very fun.

I hope there's a dragon roaming around carrying 10,000 gold somewhere in the new game so that I have somewhere to level up near the end.

Posted by Alastor

[url=http://www.gametrailers.com/player/37175.html]Raine's original VA got canned[/url]. That means they got the VAs from Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology... Which means the only confirmed returning VAs I can assume are the ones for Genis and Kratos... And since Kratos is only doing the opening narrative, that's pretty grim. :(

Posted by Iris

****IT

Any other Raine is suck. No one else can be Archeological Mania.

Posted by Alastor

I snickered when she mispronounced "polycarbonate".

Posted by Iris

I'm more ****ed that Raine's using Turbulence (ToA) rather than her original spells. That's really gay.

Posted by Alastor

I didn't notice, but that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned. Now she can kill **** without Photon.

Posted by Iris

I don't care if she has more spells, but it's gay if they're taking away her old ones or fscking up their animations.

Also, photon was awesome. Hit lag = huge combos.

Posted by Alastor

[youtube=HCphLHOnEZA]HCphLHOnEZA[/youtube]

New trailer from TGS.

November can't come soon enough.

Posted by ExoXile

EU ain't getting it. :(

Posted by Alastor

Really? Any particular reason?

Posted by ExoXile

I have no idea.
It's kind of pending right now, might get it, might not.

Posted by Iris

Can't be as good as Vesperia. Ever.

Not that Vesperia was amazing or anything, I just have low expectations for the fan service prequel.

Posted by Alastor

One reason why I'm playing this before I worry about Vesperia.

btw, sequel*.

Posted by Iris

Nah. Besides recurring characters, it's more or less a prequel.

Posted by Alastor

How can you have a prequel set two years after the original?

Posted by Iris

Maybe my definition of sequel is fscked, but I figured the plots would have to be heavily related beyond "HEY IT'S LLOYD" and "I BELIEVE IN MYSELF NOW" for them to be direct sequels.

Posted by Alastor

That... Still wouldn't make it a "prequel", though.

"Spin-off sequel" is the term Namco Bandai tossed around for a while.

Posted by Dexter

Worry about playing Vesperia now because of how great it is. Any Tales fan would tell you to get on that. I'm thinking Vesperia might be the first Tales game that gets a second playthrough with me.

Posted by Alastor

I would think the Grade Shop would be incentive enough to play any of them twice...

But no. Not concerning myself with Vesperia until after this one. I DO really want Vesperia, mind you, I'm just not paying it any mind until DotNW is done with.

Posted by Dexter

I think my biggest enjoyment from the Tales games are from character development and story instead of actual gameplay so a second playthrough never concerned me much.

Which is odd because so far I'd say Vesperia has weaker character development than Abyss and Symphonia. I'm not far enough to boldly say it's so yet though. I'm hoping it'll pick up once I make more progress. It just seems to be missing some of the mystery that some of the characters from past games always had, which got me all worked up and interested in what was to come. Also, it doesn't seem to contain a character that really stands out to me yet. Abyss and Symphonia had characters I found myself more interested in and I actually found myself caring about them more than I do with any of the characters from Vesperia.

Although Rita is standing out positively. Her attitude, fashion style, and passion for blastia research are making her my favorite character so far. I'm hoping to discover more about her as I progress. Zagi is fun, too. I enjoy his random, eccentric appearances. It would be nice if he'd join my team. He'd definitely keep things exciting. Karol can be eaten by a monster for all I care.

But dude, seriously, you should get this and finish it before Dawn of the New World comes out.

Posted by Alastor

But then DotNW would seem even worse than it'll probably end up being.

Posted by Dexter

Nah, don't worry about that. You'll probably find yourself more captivated with it. I find myself enjoying the Tales games more and more as they go on and I think a few of the reasons for that is having other Tales games to compare them to and having a long history with the games. Vesperia will do nothing but improve your enjoyment with Dawn of the New World. This is what I believe.

Posted by Alastor

Even if I wanted to, I haven't been able to find a job, and I've been looking since June. Chances of me finding one and being able to afford a 360, an HDTV (not playing a single 360 game without one) and a copy of Vesperia before the second week in November are slim, if even existent.

Posted by Dexter

Oh, I see how the situation is now That's tough. I do find it strange and slightly annoying how all these Tales games come out on different consoles. It's not that bad for me since I have all the systems anyway, but I feel bad for te Tales fans that can't get all the systems to play all the different Tales games on. Symphonia for Game Cube, Abyss for PS2, Vesperia on 360, Dawn of the New World on Wii, Phantasia on Super NES. Horrible organization.

Posted by Alastor

They've already announced another mothership title (Symphonia, Abyss, Vesperia, etc.) for Wii.

Quoted post: Maybe my definition of sequel is fscked, but I figured the plots would have to be heavily related beyond "HEY IT'S LLOYD" and "I BELIEVE IN MYSELF NOW" for them to be direct sequels.

Plots would have to be related for it to be a prequel to. Not to mention the prefix of "pre" as in before. Though it's not really a sequel either cause if I recall it lacks continuation.

So, it's like a cash-in.

Posted by Alastor

[quote]Spin-off sequel
[quote]cash-in

Same thing, really.

Posted by Iris

Aww, have you seen Judith yet, Dexter?

Posted by Dexter

Not yet. I have a feeling I'll meet her today. I'll let you know what I think when I have some time spent with her. Is she your favorite character?

Dexter is already farther than me in Vesperia.

Posted by Dexter

Oh, man, you're about to knock Zagi into the water. He's so crazy. Gotta love some of the looks he gives before that battle.

Now I'm looking at our gamerscores and I see Geometry Wars Evolved? When did this come around? I think I better catch up.

Posted by Iris

Sounds like you'll meet her soon. She is one of my favorites, though I like the whole party over all.

Quoted post: Now I'm looking at our gamerscores and I see Geometry Wars Evolved? When did this come around? I think I better catch up

August I think. Turned out to be pretty good!

Posted by Dexter

Yeah, Judith's definitely a great party member.