Rumor: Sony & Microsoft to out-Wii Nintendo? (And why that could be a good thing)

Posted by Big Boss

The rumors just aren't going away...

http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/07/will-sony-and-m.html

[quote]The Wiimote's accelerometers measure the force applied to the controller. But what game developers really want to measure, Lee says, is the controller's absolute position in space.

This can be a problem for game designers, he says. "The accelerometer data is pretty far from the data that (developers) really want. For example, if you want to draw a circle in the air, regardless of how fast you draw it, the positional data still looks like a circle. But the accelerometer data, the actual movement data you get from a Wii remote, is radically different."

Developers "have trouble dealing with false positives and false negatives in their games, and as a result, the gaming experiences have been relatively limited," he adds. "If you want to get beyond that and do more robust recognition, you have to provide the data that developers really want."

I particularly like this quote. While I can't comment on the Wii remote's technical capabilities, as Nintendo provides that information to its licensed developers as confidential... if Sony or Microsoft could create their own remote that gives developers more data, we'd start to see the games we imagined when Nintendo first unveiled the system. If they could do that quick, we could see results as soon as this generation.

Either that, or we sit and hope that Nintendo plans to improve the Wii remote interface (and capabilities) for developers, so all the games you're wondering why aren't made actually get made. It isn't always about the developer "not knowing what to do with the Wii remote." Unless, of course, you're pleased with the games that are out on the Wii so far in terms of taking full advantage of what the Wii should be able to do.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Koji Igarashi said the one reason he wasn't really interested in bringing a Castlevania game to the Wii (besides that stupid fighting game :( ,) was because he didn't know how to design around the wii-mote in such a way so that the player actually made a realistic whipping motion, not just a waggle motion.

I'd like to think Nintendo, with all their new capita coming in, would be the first to start developing this technology. They've pretty much jumped ahead in this area. However, if Microsoft or Sony is able to catch up (and in some ways, they already have,) then bravo.

Posted by Speedfreak

If they want to do that they'll have to wait for next-gen, releasing a controller now would fracture the market to the point where no dev would dare risk developing an exlcusively motion-controlled game. I don't know why'd they'd put so much stock into it anyway since it's so blatently obvious that motion control sucks on Wii, the best thing about the controller is point and tilt.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: If they want to do that they'll have to wait for next-gen, releasing a controller now would fracture the market to the point where no dev would dare risk developing an exlcusively motion-controlled game.

Not true anymore. Guitar Hero proved that wrong. The key is to release an irresistible game prepackaged with the controller. Wii Fit is another example. Enough people own both a guitar controller and a balance board that other developers could (and are) releasing games for controllers that have come out long after the console shipped.

Only problem is, you know, making such a game. MS could release another Bungie/Halo game and Sony could release it with, idk, Final Fantasy, but otherwise not even sure if they have it in them.

Posted by Speedfreak

Okay, so, who makes games for Guitar Hero controllers other than Harmonix? They can't even get Guitar Hero controllers to work with Rock Band and vice versa properly. Are you seriously suggesting every developer package a motion controller with their game or run the risk of compatibility issues? It's just not gonna happen. Business-wise, introducing a new controller now would make no sense unless every game came with one or everyone got one for free.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Well, I think the WiimotePlus just confirmed this rumor.

Posted by maian

http://kotaku.com/5024907/nintendo-introduces-wii-motion-plus

nintendo wins

Quoted post: Okay, so, who makes games for Guitar Hero controllers other than Harmonix? They can't even get Guitar Hero controllers to work with Rock Band and vice versa properly. Are you seriously suggesting every developer package a motion controller with their game or run the risk of compatibility issues? It's just not gonna happen. Business-wise, introducing a new controller now would make no sense unless every game came with one or everyone got one for free.

You have to license Activision's guitars for it to be compatible and only recently did Harmonix announce developers can use their peripherals without permission. So you'll likely see more developers adopt the guitars/drums whatever further down the road now that they can.

But since it's MS releasing the controller, that won't be much of an issue. MS made controller, MS published game, controller open to developers to develop for.

Posted by Speedfreak

Then why cite Guitar Hero as an example when there's no proof of use of their peripherals becoming widespread? I'm not convinced, there's a massive amount of evidence that suggests that optional peripherals, even 1st party, never achieve a large amount of market penetration with nothing to the contrary.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Guitar Hero Guitars can be used on Rock Band. That's about as widespread as it's gonna get for them.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Grenade Grasshopper;863918]Guitar Hero Guitars can be used on Rock Band. That's about as widespread as it's gonna get for them.
wassup PS3

Posted by Speedfreak

Holy fuck are you disagreeing with Vamp?

Quoted post: Then why cite Guitar Hero as an example when there's no proof of use of their peripherals becoming widespread? I'm not convinced, there's a massive amount of evidence that suggests that optional peripherals, even 1st party, never achieve a large amount of market penetration with nothing to the contrary.

cause this is only recent. They've only now let developers use their peripherals for their games. What do you expect, a game to come out the day Activision says you can use their Guitar Hero guitar?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Speedfreak;863937]Holy fu[COLOR=lightgreen]c[/COLOR]k are you disagreeing with Vamp?I was just pointing out that PS3 GH guitars are locked out of PS3 Rock Band.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;863984]cause this is only recent. They've only now let developers use their peripherals for their games. What do you expect, a game to come out the day Activision says you can use their Guitar Hero guitar?

It's just not proof of a peripheral becoming mainstream if it hasn't happened yet, is it? Every 1st party peripheral had the potential to become mainstream, 3rd parties have never been restricted in using them, but they still fall by the wayside. I'm just saying that example doesn't help your arguement.

How many households are these guitars in? Developers would be stupid not to. It'll happen.

Posted by Speedfreak

Nevertheless it's not evidence. The Expansion pak still had higher penetration and most 3rd parties avoided it.

Guitar Hero has sold millions of copies. That's more than enough of a marker penetration right there. And even disregarding that, what about WiiFit? We're seeing a few games already using that.

Either way, the WAGGLEPLUS is being shipped with another WiiSports game. You do realise how well that will sell right? Just look at ****ty WiiPlay. I really don't think they have to worry about fracturing their market too bad.

Posted by Speedfreak

I'm not gonna buy the crap Wii Sports game for the peripheral. I do not want to buy one by itself if a game comes out that I actually want uses it. I'm the kind of person Nintendo shouldn't ever have trouble convincing. There could be a problem here.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Can you bring back the old Speedy that liked whatever Nintendo does, regardless of what others thought? This new one is scaring me. Everyone is now defending Nintendo... Oh I see what you're doing.

Posted by Speedfreak

I think they're reacting to me, they're filling in a void. Ironically, they're using my old arguements against me. Not gonna fly, fuckers!

Quoted post: Everyone is now defending Nintendo... Oh I see what you're doing.

No one is defending Nintendo. I think everyone was horribly disappointed with their conference and I really don't like anything they're doing. But Wii Sports was a fine game. I liked it, my family likes it, etc, so why wouldn't I get Wii Sports 2?

Posted by Speedfreak

Wii Sports is a crap game, you used to complain about it left right and center. You said it was a tech demo, that bowling was the only good one, that you would have preferred a standalone Wii at a cheaper price.

If I'm wrong then you have the worst taste in games ever and have no sense of the value of money. I have a really fun fence-painting game I'd like to sell you.

Quoted post: Wii Sports is a crap game, you used to complain about it left right and center. You said it was a tech demo, that bowling was the only good one, that you would have preferred a standalone Wii at a cheaper price.

It was a tech demo. Again, if I need to repeat it for the third ****ing time, my family really enjoys the game, my family enjoys playing the game with each other, I like playing the game with them, so I'll buy Wii Sports 2.

Posted by Speedfreak

Enjoy your shitty waggle game.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

ohohohohoh i see you what you did there

Wii Sports wasn't a ****ty waggle game. The point is, it's one of the only motion-based Wii games that ISN'T a wagglefest.

Posted by Speedfreak

Congratulations on finding a peice of shit that isn't quite as brown as the others.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

WHAT ****ING VIDEO GAMES DO YOU LIKE

I MEAN, SERIOUSLY

Posted by WillisGreeny

You know what game really sux? Fire Emblem. Sooo many sequals.

Posted by Shade

I know right. Buying a Fire Emblem sequel is like buying "Chess 2" with different coloured pieces.

Posted by Slade

someone ban speedfreak plz

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Shade;864459]I know right. Buying a Fire Emblem sequel is like buying "Chess 2" with different coloured pieces.

I own 3, all 3 had gameplay mechanic updates. Radiant Dawn less so, but it was a f[COLOR=lightgreen]u[/COLOR]cking slow year. I will only get the DS game if there's literally nothing else to hold my interest.

[quote=The X;864426]WHAT ****ING VIDEO GAMES DO YOU LIKE

I MEAN, SERIOUSLY

I see no benefit from spending my time creating a huge list. I'd much rather watch you two cry. People I actually give a s[COLOR=lightgreen]h[/COLOR]it about know I don't hate all games, but most people here can die in a fire for all I care.

[quote=Slade;864464]someone ban speedfreak plz

Does my unrelenting criticism sting too much?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Did you delete Vamp's post?

Posted by Speedfreak

The one that was a big "loooooool"? Um, yeah. I could put it back and get another SM to do it if you think it's unfair or something.

Posted by Shade

It's not your unrelenting criticism, but your insistence on arguing when you don't even have a leg to stand on.

Quoting Speedfreak: I own 3, all 3 had gameplay mechanic updates. Radiant Dawn less so, but it was a f[COLOR=lightgreen]u[/COLOR]cking slow year.

Tell me what was different about Sacred Stones than the first one. Please, go ahead.

hahaha, gameplay mechanic update. My lord you're a hypocrite. Gears 2 isn't updating their mechanics at all, nope, nuh-uh (never mind the 400 different tweaks to just the cover system alone...)

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Shade;864585]It's not your unrelenting criticism, but your insistence on arguing when you don't even have a leg to stand on.

Tell me what was different about Sacred Stones than the first one. Please, go ahead.

No idea, I never played it. Because it looked just like the first GBA one. I get the gist of your question though, so I'll list the differences (that I knew of at the time) between the first GBA game and the next one I got, Path of Radiance.

3D. Cel-shaded cutscenes animated by Ghost in the Shell guys.

That's it, I bought the game on a whim because I wanted an RPG and couldn't see anything I liked the look of (I think the contenders were .hack and Tales of whatever on cube) and I saw it online for cheap. This was about 7 months after it came out in Europe. The game I got was far superior to the GBA game, but I'm not going to lie, I didn't think it would be that good.

My point is I wasn't waiting with bated breath when it was announced whenever it was announced. Rehashes do not make a good E3 for me. I don't look forward to them or count the days to release, they are the bottom of the barrel of games I am willing to spend money on. If I have freaked out over obvious rehashes of games I already have in the past it's because I was in denial, as proven by my complete and utter apathy towards Smash Bros Brawl.

Posted by Slade

Quoting Speedfreak: Does my unrelenting stupidity sting too much?

Yes. Please make it stop.

spending your time here trolling members who don't have the same crazy expectations you do is... stupid.

editing... UGH

Posted by Speedfreak

It's crazy to expect original games at one of the world's largest game press conferences? I don't want to know what's sane.

Besides, trolling is funny, I get why Vamp does it all the time now.

Posted by Slade

The problem is you keep switching what you're addressing because you can't manage to not take every opportunity to lash out in your responses. That's why the topic is swaying wildly. I had no clue you were saying that you wanted to see fewer sequels and more 100% original games at E3.

I thought you were saying RE4 and RE5 are the exact same game when they clearly aren't. Similar? Yeah, because it's awesome. But it seems like you can't accept something as truly awesome unless it's a 100% new, original, experience. THAT's the stupid part.

Posted by Speedfreak

They're too similar for me to look forward to laying cash on the counter for, in my opinion. Understand now?

Posted by Slade

I understood all along, baby. awwwwwww yeahhhhh

Posted by Speedfreak

Well what the fuck's stupid about that? I mean, most franchise's sales decrease over time, surely I'm in the majority?

Posted by WillisGreeny

Depends on the franchise. Some age like wine.

Posted by Speedfreak

Then I'll let RE4 age and wait until RE7 instead of taking a little sip every 5 minutes.

Quoted post: Besides, trolling is funny, I get why Vamp does it all the time now.

You're doing it wrong though. That's the problem with "trolls" these days, they use ****ty points that barely make sense while desperately trying to refute logic. Doesn't work.

Posted by Speedfreak

Tell us more, oh great master of being an irritating cunt!

Posted by WillisGreeny

[quote=Speedfreak;864747]Tell us more, oh great master of being an irritating c[COLOR=lightgreen]u[/COLOR]nt!

Wow, Speedy. Phrases like this make me wonder why anyone would question your logic, ever.

Posted by Speedfreak

You say that like I actually give a shit about what most of you abortion-escapees think about me.

Posted by Shade

SHUT THE F[COLOR=white]U[/color]CK UP ALREADY.

Posted by Speedfreak

Don't reply to me then, dipshit. I would've shut up a page ago.

Posted by Slade

What's wrong Shade, you can't handle the truth he brings to the boards?

lol this thread, lol him. lol everything.

Posted by Fate

You guys are being immature. Is it really that hard to understand Speedfreak's point of view? If you're going to hate on the guy at least try to make sense. As a spectator to all this I say you're all being dumb. :/

If Speedy says that the games are too similar for his tastes, then let him keep believing that. Granted, from our point of view he's going to miss some great titles, but that's his prerogative and he doesn't see it as missing out.

Quoted post: If you're going to hate on the guy at least try to make sense.

Speedfreak's being the troll in this case. So he would be hating on us. As for making sense, everyone in this thread seems to make perfect sense to me. Even speedfreak originally.

Posted by Fate

But it's gone nonsensical and has become a bandwagon. He's not being a troll, he's expressing his opinion. wtf?

Posted by Speedfreak

I don't think you guys understand just how little time and money I have these days. Uni is a ****load of work on it's own, and between that I have to learn software, play games I don't even want to play and learn new skills. If im gonna spend the free hour or two I have every other day on video games it's sure as hell not gonna be on the rehash of the game I only completed a couple of months ago. This E3 is basically telling me I don't even have a choice in the matter, because apparantly they can't be bothered to make games that I really like. Explain why that wouldn't p[COLOR=lightgreen]i[/COLOR]ss me off, if you please.

Quoted post: He's not being a troll, he's expressing his opinion. wtf?

He even admitted to being a troll in hopes of ****ing me off. Sure, originally it might've been an honest opinion, but if you go back you can see the moment he enters into troll mode.

Posted by Speedfreak

It was right after someone said I was trolling for having an opinion that differed to XVamp, I believe. :)

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Speedfreak;864829] XVamp
we are a single entity

we will consume all

Quoted post: It was right after someone said I was trolling for having an opinion that differed to XVamp, I believe.

Nope.

Posted by Speedfreak

Like you'd know when I decided to piss you off on purpose.

Quoted post: Enjoy your ****ty waggle game.

Where it started.

Quoted post: ohohohohoh i see you what you did there

Wii Sports wasn't a ****ty waggle game. The point is, it's one of the only motion-based Wii games that ISN'T a wagglefest.

The post before where I called you a troll.

Posted by Speedfreak

I wasn't trolling there, it really will be a ****ty waggle game. I just said it because you faggots won't ALLOW me to not care about the crappy pack-in game.

Actually, you wouldn't allow us to care about Wii Sports.

Quoted post: But Wii Sports was a fine game. I liked it, my family likes it, etc, so why wouldn't I get Wii Sports 2?

Quoted post: Wii Sports is a crap game, you used to complain about it left right and center. You said it was a tech demo, that bowling was the only good one, that you would have preferred a standalone Wii at a cheaper price.

If I'm wrong then you have the worst taste in games ever and have no sense of the value of money. I have a really fun fence-painting game I'd like to sell you.

See? I didn't have anything bad to say about your opinion, but apparently you did on mine.

Posted by Speedfreak

"But Wii Sports was a fine game".

You're honestly telling me that's how it started, despite it obviously being a response to something I said before?

**** this, I don't have to justify anything I say to the pair of you. No matter what I say you always disagree with me if you can help it, you go totally out of your way to **** me off and drive me to the point of acting totally against my nature just to get you to leave me alone. I don't owe either of you jack ****, so make fun of me all you want, we'll see who laughs with you in the end. If you can't stand me then ignore me, I'll make sure to do the same.

idk, I don't have a problem with you. Just cause I argue with you doesn't mean I don't like you.