AMD

Posted by Fate

Just thought that any of you PC builders out there should know that AMD is going in the ****ter and this has been happening since the acquisition of ATI, and an underperforming graphics chip company. Looks like Intel has no choice but to become a monopoly out of default.

Posted by Slade

...:(

I don't know that much about AMD and/or Intel, but I like computers and monopolies are bad for my pocketbook. Source?

Posted by Fate

Dude, it's all over the tech news. Just Google AMD and you'll see a bunch of stories on money lost. Intel isn't going to be a monopoly by choice.

Posted by Inferno

Yeah, lately Intel has definitely been making the faster/better processors and I can see why that would be trouble for AMD. They're going to take over the market simply because they have better products. It does kind of suck for the computer industry though. Any kind of competition is good and I doubt any new company will ever be able to come out and compete against Intel.

Posted by Fate

Intel makes good and reliable stuff, apparently.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Hey, I got AMD! WOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Though this processor is better than Intel's at this price point, so whatevs.

Posted by Fate

BUT NOT BETTER PROCESSING WOOOOOOOOOOOO

Posted by Apathetic

[URL="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116069"]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116069[/URL]
[URL="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103062"]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103062[/URL]
I think I won that decision.

Posted by Fate

Dual Core is gay. It's about Quad Core now.

Posted by Inferno

I have a friend who is working for Intel right now. Apparently they're also an awesome employer as he's getting 25 dollars an hour. I would kill for an internship there...

Now that I think about it I don't see a monopoly affecting the industry in a negative way any time soon. It still sucks for the people that backed AMD.

Posted by Roger Smith

Quoting Fate: Dual Core is gay. It's about Quad Core now.

Hardly any programs that utilize it.

quad is gay. It's about octa-core now.

and 25 bucks an hour isn't that much depending on the work. That's just a bit less than my pay and I figure I do less work than someone who works at Intel.

Posted by Fate

You know, Roger, people said that there were hardly any Blu-Ray movies out when it was first launched. They also said that there was no need for 7.1 surround sound.

You are wrong.

Quads aren't even relevant yet and they're already finalising eight-core processors. So he's sorta kinda right in a way.

Posted by Inferno

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire:
and 25 bucks an hour isn't that much depending on the work. That's just a bit less than my pay and I figure I do less work than someone who works at Intel.

Oh I forgot to mention that he's on an internship, not an actual employee. That is very high end for a college student. The most I've ever heard of is the guys who work for Microsoft and Google and get around 30. I'm guessing full time out of college would be anywhere from 70,000 - 100,000 a year.

Oh, okay. Yeah, for an intern that's pretty ridiculous since a lot of intern positions give you no pay. NOT BAD

Posted by WillisGreeny

A paying internship kicks ***.

I imagin most people start off between 30,000 to 40,000 after college, but after 4 to 6 years of experience, shoot up to 50,000 to 70,000. Basing this off by all my brother's friends working with or around computers.

Posted by Inferno

It really depends on what you do with it. I'm going into my fifth year of college as a software engineer and I'm interning right now but I only make 16.50 an hour. I don't really have to do much though, I've been playing flash games all day because I can do the work faster than they can find it for me. I have to do one more internship to graduate and I'm shooting for something better than what I have right now. I actually have an interview with IBM coming up which would be awesome.

Average out of college pay for my major is around 60,000. Can't complain there. I know a kid who is going to work for some game company and they're paying him 85,000 to start. I think I'll throw my resum

Posted by Apathetic

Oh wait samsung makes chips, no monopolilipoipos. Though I do wonder why intel hasnt gotten the iphone part yet.

Posted by dadudemon

I have had no problems with AMD. I have had problems with Intel.

However, andecdotal evidence is virutally irrelevant.

There are problems with each.

Intel has screwed over the consumer on more than one occasion. It's not as if we won't be screwed by either in the future.

Also, isn't AMD edging out Intel on sales now?

In the end, I'm only for what's best for my current needs. I have intel in my brand new laptop, and I have AMD in my 2 year old desktop.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting dadudemon:

Also, isn't AMD edging out Intel on sales now?

If they are, it's just barely.

In other news, AMD is splitting into two separate companies. AMD will design the chips while a spin off company Foundry Company will manufacture the chips. Also the country of Abu Dhabi is increasing it's stake in AMD to 19% and will have some voting control within the company.