Mushroom Men

Posted by Fate

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36078.html

The trailer looks really cute. Bunny bosses ftw.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Looks... decent. Adventure games of this caliber are iffy. Could turn out to be pretty good, could turn out to be a horribly uninspired collection-fest/wagglan gaem.

Posted by Fate

Probably a solid platformer. It's tough to make original platformers these days but original IPs are always welcome, especially if the developers are making an effort to keep it good.

It's tough, yes, but it's not tough to **** off with that collection **** that effectively killed platforming games.

Anyways, where's my Chibi-Robo Wii?

Posted by Fate

Music is done by Les Claypool, btw.

Primus sucks, and I don't remember the music from the trailer at all, so that's not a good start. But, I gotta admit, I do like the idea of the game. Playing what's essentially a more alien-like Toad fighting bunnies and bugs is pretty cool.

Posted by Fate

I think the music is quirky and fitting, personally. It's supposed to be a weird game.

I'm really looking forward to knocking out a bunny.

Yeah, just listened to it. Fitting music actually. Tribal but goofy. I can actually hear some Primus influence in it which isn't half as detrimental as I thought it would be.

Posted by Linko_16

Like Vamp said, 3D Adventure Platformers can be very good and very bad, so while I'm very attracted to the idea, I'll have my reservations until I've seen some reviews.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Can't wait to see what the reviews say about this game. This will either make or break Red Fly Studio's future.

Posted by Fate

Not really. Not to imply this game is going to be bad, but you do know that a lot of reputable studios release crap just to make money for bigger projects?

Posted by WillisGreeny

Yes, I know how that works (EA sports), but the key word you used is reputable. Other than their Ghostbuster games, what is Red Fly known for? They're the new guys, so their first few games can't suck too much or they'll just fade away.

Quoted post: Yes, I know how that works (EA sports),

Their sports games have really improved.

Posted by Speedfreak

I like the art and lighting, nice to see a game with decent artists for a change.

Posted by Fate

From what I hear, most of the studio consists of artists.

Posted by Speedfreak

Hope they have top top-notch coders to hold it together, then =p

Posted by WillisGreeny

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;863397]Their sports games have really improved.

I haven't touched one in over 5 years. I just know that it was EAs bread and butter back in the day, when all they did for each year was change names, stats, and hair colours.

[quote=Fate;863421][COLOR=skyblue]From what I hear, most of the studio consists of artists.[/COLOR]

Isn't that normal for any videogame studio, considering all the art that is involved? I had always thought it was 33/33 between software engineers and artists, with the other 33 doing both.

Posted by Speedfreak

Not really, no. A there's a lot of programmers that never even touch game code, they just make tools to help the other coders and designers.

Posted by WillisGreeny

I do believe I specified 33% being Software engineers. From what i've gathered, these are the guys who make the tools. The 33% that does art and coding was who I thought did the game coding (AKA game desingers). Hmm, I'm going to go research this further just to make sure.

Posted by Speedfreak

Well it really depends on the game, need a ton of coders because it's just building on game mechanics from previous games, but there would have to be plenty of artists for all the 2D art and 3D models and animations and quite a few designers for the plot, unit designs and missions. But something like Burnout requires a lot more coders because of the online functionality and physics. If I remember correctly a single guy modelled all the cars in the game.

Posted by Bebop

Looks like a pretty crappy platformer. I'm sure all the Rayman 2 and Spyro fans are eagerly awaiting this.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Hey now, don't diss Spyro. The only thing Spyro did wrong was make sequals. Same goes for Rayman.

Posted by Speedfreak

Spyro sucked if you had ever played a remotely decent platformer like Mario, Sonic or Earthworm Jim. Spyro was totally queer.

Posted by WillisGreeny

If only the best singing bird sang, Spring would be silent. Spyro didn't deserve a sequal by any means, just that it was an ok attempt for the playstation era.

Posted by Speedfreak

It's more like a Green Day cover band trying to play over Beethoven.

Spyro was quite good at the beginning of the series. Then it got mega gay. Like Sonic. ****ing werewolf ****.

Posted by Speedfreak

Sure if the only other 3D platformer you had played was Croc.

It was good for its time when it first came out. I'm going to just assume you played it way after or something.

Posted by Speedfreak

I played it when Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie were out. Spyro sucked.

Banjo ****ing sucked at a platformer. It's that formula that practically killed the genre. Too much ****ing collecting. Plus, it came out after Mario 64 which made it even harder to swallow.

Posted by Iris

idk, felt like DK 64 and Banjo were basically the same and equally enjoyable. Besides, not like Banjo had a whole lot more collecting than Super Mario 64. It's basically COLLECT ENOUGH PUZZLE PIECES/STARS/BANANAS TO MOVE TO THE NEXT LEVEL!

You collected quite a bit in Banjo. And Mario only had stars and coins if you felt like doing it.

Posted by Iris

You don't have to collect notes in Banjo. You don't even have to collect Jinjos since you can get enough puzzle pieces without them. Only thing you have to collect are puzzle pieces and occasionally eggs or feathers if you're using them often, and they're pretty much neatly placed in walking paths or on top of trees, nothing out of your way. You're wrong.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Sorry, but I couldn't help notice you mentioning a couple things constantly being collected in Banjo... How does this prove Vamp wrong, exactly? Sounds like plenty of collecting crud.

Yeah, that's still collecting. Mario had stars and coins. That's it.

Posted by Iris

[quote=Iron Koala;864281]Sorry, but I couldn't help notice you mentioning a couple things constantly being collected in Banjo... How does this prove Vamp wrong, exactly? Sounds like plenty of collecting crud.
No, you noticed me list things that could be collected but don't have to. If he doesn't enjoy a game because of collecting too much then he should stop collecting. It doesn't ruin the game in this case.

Collecting is a big part of the game. Don't collect = get ****ed out of money. And jesus, carts were expensive back then. I mean, why not, you know, leave the collecting out and focus on improving the gameplay.

Posted by Ant

yeah mushroom men looks pretty cool

Posted by WillisGreeny

Banjo was a collecting game. The emphasis of Mario was to complete a level, which gets you a gold star. Banjo's emphasis was Mario's 8 red coins being every level. I don't mind looking for crap in levels, but it was mandatory in Kazooie to always be on the look out. Same with Donkey Kong 64; looking for crap gets old.

Edit: Vamp posts quick...

Posted by Speedfreak

Banjo had roughly the same amount of jigsaws as Mario and, like Mario, you had to collect 100 notes/coins in each level to fully complete the game. Banjo did the notes thing a lot better, coins were useless in Mario unless you were getting 100.

Posted by WillisGreeny

bull. Banjo and Mario are not the ****ing same just because there were coins. The bonus star was the 3rd usage of coins; the first being for getting health back, the other as currency for using the cannons.

Posted by Iris

Your point? If anything, that makes them more of a necessity. Banjo places notes nicely in rows on paths, in groups, and generally around areas you have to visit to complete the area anyways. Coins are more out of the way and require more work to hunt down. Also, he didn't say they were the same only that they were similar in those two aspects (though they're similar in far more than those).

Posted by WillisGreeny

You don't unlock areas of levels because of how many coins you collected, so no, it's not at all a necesity.

Posted by Iris

Yeah, I suppose if you don't want to live.

Posted by WillisGreeny

There were plenty of easy-to-get coins that makes what you just said silly.

Posted by Iris

They're easy to get if you stay in one place.

Besides, like I said, notes were right in front of you wherever you went. It's not like "****, I have to search through this area for every last note." It's more like "I got 20 of the 50 notes needed to open the next door while walking up a small hill." It's not a matter of collecting them when you're walking right through them regardless.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Still collecting, regardless of how easy it is.

Posted by Iris

Know what game sucked? 007. Too much collecting ammo, not enough shootan.

Posted by WillisGreeny

You're talking to a blue bomber fan. Collecting ammo is just ridiculous.

Posted by Ant

I hope mushroom men has collecting.

Posted by Speedfreak

I wonder if this'll be harder than Mario Galaxy, that game was way too easy.

Posted by Fate

Game preview, all text. Good info. http://gamesblog.ugo.com/index.php/gamesblog/more/mushroom_men_the_spore_wars_hands_on_preview

Another link: http://www.siliconera.com/2008/09/16/inside-and-outside-nintendo-powers-20th-anniversary-celebration/