Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Posted by Ashen

So, I dunno how many of you are into Star Ocean, after what Squenix did with the mind**** that was the ending of Star Ocean 3, but, though it's old news, I recently came across the trailer for the fourth iteration of the series, "The Last Hope." It was posted June 11, so it was out there pretty long ago.

Story takes place 10 years after the discovery of warp drive and the changing of the calendar to the "SD" system of years (SO3 takes place in SD 772, meaning, yes, this is a prequel). Apparently, mankind just ****ed itself over with World War 3, which is what started the whole "Star Ocean" searching thing in the first place -- to find a new, non-radioactive home.

What really got me is that this is coming out not for the PS3, but for the 360. It's making me think that 360 is becoming the system of choice for jRPGs. After all, some of the biggest ones we've seen in recent years have been on the 360: Eternal Sonata, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey; and we've got Tales of Vesperia coming out for 360 as well.

YouTube link to trailer: http://youtube.com/watch?v=x3kjORB9j6Q
healberry.net article: http://healberry.net/29 [/shameless plug] (note: it's the same trailer, so it's up to you all which one to click)

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

SO3 was pretty disappointing in my opinion so I'm not holding my breath. The voice-over certainly doesn't help.

Posted by Vasioth

Well due to the fact that the voice overs sound like 8 year olds or those annoying English dub overs you get on Anime, I see why you think that...

And the X360 also has the Phantasy Star games which is also "apparently" another big franchise in the RPG world (there's rumour for a new release soon on the 360, who would've thought?) .

I just hope the new Star Ocean game isn't buggered like the 3rd one was. Oh wait, Prequel to 3rd one, nevermind then... (the trailer doesn't look to bad but)

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Sweet. I've always liked the Star Ocean series, and, of course, I don't want a ps3. SO3 was one of the reasons why I bought a ps2, back then. It's nice not to have to worry about it this generation. It'd be even nicer if this could get some more Japanese to buy 360s. There's no way it should be doing as poorly as it is over there.

The 360's got Star Ocean 4, Castlevania, and Resident Evil 5, and the DS has the Dragon Warrior series at the moment, making me hope that Dragon Warrior X will come out for the Wii, or at least the DS itself. Hehe. Unless Konami announces a mass exodus of Ys titles to the ps3 or something, I've got absolutely no reason to buy a sony system this generation. Huzzah!

Posted by Sr. Arrogant Bastard

don't forget the new final fantasy game also coming out on 360

Final Fantasy wore thin for me quite some time ago. I liked 7 well enough, but 8 was trash and 9 bored me to tears. 11 was pretty cool, but I couldn't get into it after a certain point because of the high level requirements for some activities. I would have preferred to play it offline, too. 12, I liked the demo of, but I haven't picked up the full game, yet. It's pretty cheap now, so I guess I should do that. I'm curious about 13, but it's not a system-seller to me. Dragon Warrior, Star Ocean, and Castlevania, I'd buy a system for, though.

12 is great. It's the only game after 6 that doesn't suck.

Posted by Vasioth

XII is a lot like Squares other game "Vigrant Story" battle wise. I just figured that out today when I played it, so overall its not a new "battle system" that square acclaims it to be (being only done on FFXII).

XII reminded me too much of Vigrant Story though >.< which I don't know if that's even a bad thing or not. IX wasn't exactly that bad either... (well, not too bad)

You mean Vagrant Story. I played a little of that game. The graphical style of XII is similar, yeah, but the battle systems are completely different, from what I recall. *Sigh* I'm too busy at my store right now to play many of the games I do have, let alone purchase a new 40+ hour RPG. On the upside, I'm making a ton of money for the time when I'll be able to spend more time at home gaming, unless the planets align with my star of destiny for the first time in 4,038 years and I get a girlfriend or something.

Posted by Degeneration

I'd probably get Star Ocean 4 if it was for the PS3... Not really worth buying a new console for.

Posted by Shade

Shoulda gotten a 360.

Posted by Degeneration

I might get it when the cheapest model is less than $200. Still fearin' that RRoD.

I've never gotten one :cookie: and I'd be more worried about the disc-drive dying than a rrod

Posted by Nazo

Could someone please explain to me about the Red Ring of Death? (Too lazy to look it up, I'll admit it.)

I know 3 people now that have had the RRoD more than twice, and their 360's run fine still. One of them including Roger Smith.

I've heard basically all the RRoD is telling you is that the 360 isn't getting enough power. It also most commonly happens when you have the backup fan connected to it. It steals too much power.

On topic though, I've only played SO3. It was okay, but things could've been a lot better. I'm not putting my hopes high for SO4, but I will check it out.

EDIT: I lol'd at Vamp's avatar.

Quoted post: I've heard basically all the RRoD is telling you is that the 360 isn't getting enough power. It also most commonly happens when you have the backup fan connected to it. It steals too much power.

It happens when it box overheats causing the mobo to flex and bend, which leads to parts popping off. If you let it cool down it MAY be okay, but often it isn't and needs to be repaired.

Posted by Cloudstud

To be honest as a Star Ocean Fan I am almost more excited about the remake of Star Ocean 1 for the super nintendo.They are calling it Star Ocean: First Departure. It was not released state side but is getting a revamped version for the PSP. Its actually almost identical in terms of graphics as the second star ocean for playstation. They are also releasing a new version of star ocean the second story for the psp named Star Ocean: The Second Evolution. Both games are going to have brand new anime cut scenes. They look pretty slick and should be a great addition to the PSP family of games. Here is the links at IGN.

First Departure Link
http://psp.ign.com/articles/891/891416p1.html

Second Evolution Link
http://psp.ign.com/articles/891/891419p1.html

Posted by Nazo

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: It happens when it box overheats causing the mobo to flex and bend, which leads to parts popping off. If you let it cool down it MAY be okay, but often it isn't and needs to be repaired.

Thanks for the info.

Well dam... Now I don't feel safe getting a 360. But I won't be able to get it till close to Christmas, and I've heard of a price reduction soon in September.

But still, it'd suck if it works fine, then, with a lot of saved data on the HDD, it fuggin' blows up. :\ I can get a new 360, but data may not be able to be replaced if the damage scores to the disk drive.

[quote]To be honest as a Star Ocean Fan I am almost more excited about the remake of Star Ocean 1 for the super nintendo.They are calling it Star Ocean: First Departure. It was not released state side but is getting a revamped version for the PSP. Its actually almost identical in terms of graphics as the second star ocean for playstation. They are also releasing a new version of star ocean the second story for the psp named Star Ocean: The Second Evolution. Both games are going to have brand new anime cut scenes. They look pretty slick and should be a great addition to the PSP family of games. Here is the links at IGN.

I've never been one for the PSP. I want a DS, myself. However, to me, this would be an okay reason to get one since I never played the first or second Star Ocean. I'd like to see if they were better than SO3. (Which I bet they are.)

Quoted post: But still, it'd suck if it works fine, then, with a lot of saved data on the HDD, it fuggin' blows up. :\ I can get a new 360, but data may not be able to be replaced if the damage scores to the disk drive.

Nothing will happen to the hdd. When you get a rrod it just kills the box. You detach the hdd, ship the box off, and reattach it when you get your box back. Your data is unaffected.

Posted by Shade

Xbox 360: Not all of it breaks!

how it's not winning the console war i'll never know

Posted by Nazo

Wii is more family-oriented. Lotta new parents that wouldn't let their kids play, or wouldn't play themselves now play the system. Thus it's reason for outselling the 360, and possibly seeming like the best console out. IMO, 360 is still winning due to it's larger game-spree. The Wii is generally a fun system, but I believe Nintendo will run out of ideas, and the system itself could get repetitive. But we'll see.

I do want a Wii though. Mainly for the bowling game since I'm a league bowler IRL, and maybe Red Steel. I heard it was fun.

Posted by WillisGreeny

I heard Red Steel sucked.

Posted by Nazo

I've heard it was fun, and you've heard it sucked. Now I really want to get it just to see.

Rent first.

Red Steel is okay. It's no Metroid Prime 3, but it got the FPS job done at launch.

Quoted post: I do want a Wii though. Mainly for the bowling game since I'm a league bowler IRL, and maybe Red Steel. I heard it was fun.

Red Steel was terrible. What the ****?

Vampiro, ladies and gentlemen. If it's not perfect, it's crap.

It's not perfect because it's crap. There's a difference. In that it came no where close to perfection. It was a terrible shooter and the controls were just as bad.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Prince, ladies and gentlemen. If it's not Nintendo, it's crap.

Quoting Iron Koala: Prince, ladies and gentlemen. If it's not Nintendo, it's crap.

It would be more accurate to say "If it's Nintendo, it's not crap." I like everything but sony pretty objectively, though. To sony, I say:

Posted by Shade

It's funny because there's a sony logo on the visual.

So new Star Ocean game for the 360 sounds pretty cool right guys?

Posted by Degeneration

Not much left to say. Square-Enix is making a bunch of JRPGs exclusively for the console that Japan doesn't buy. It'd be the dumbest move ever if it wasn't so likely that the exclusivity is only timed.

A few months after the 360 release, they'll be telling Japanese consumers, "You know that game you kinda wanted but didn't get because it was for that gross American console? Well, prepare to have no excuse!"

Posted by Shade

Japanese people should just grow up and buy a 360 already. To hell with supporting their home companies.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Yeah, that's why Japan doesn't buy Coca-cola and ipods, they buy their own country's brands because they always favor their own country's goods over American. That's also why Toyota isn't the #1 selling car brand in America, since Americans perferr buying American... *Sarcasim sticker*

Are people still thinking the Japanese aren't buying the 360 because of its origins, and not because the Japanese don't like 3D FPS? I thought this was squared away else where. If not, just google search the subject and read the 100s of articles that go into detail why Japan doesn't like the 360, having little to do with it being because it's American.

Shade should grow up. : P

Posted by Shade

Actually we buy American cars because no other country does, and here in Motor City we kind of value jobs.

btw, way to respond seriously.

Quoted post: Japanese people should just grow up and buy a 360 already. To hell with supporting their home companies.

The Japanese don't like online and shooters. And online is the biggest draw of the 360. full of americans.

Posted by WillisGreeny

[quote=Shade;877722]Actually we buy American cars because no other country does, and here in Motor City we kind of value jobs.

btw, way to respond seriously.

Bu-bu-but I put a :p: at the end, so that makes not serious!!!

:( Why do I hurt the ones I love.

*Dies*

Posted by Nazo

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: The Japanese don't like online and shooters. And online is the biggest draw of the 360. full of americans.

And people from the UK.

Can't even begin to tell you how many Brits I used to run into on the 360. >_>

Posted by WillisGreeny

You got your X's, then you got your Speedys.

UK probably represents 10% of the online population. And they're usually on early in the morning anyways. And are huge *******s.

Posted by Shade

I'd rather run into them than the 40% of the online population that are pre-pubescent boys.

Not that many little kids actually. I'd say 10% is UK and 20% is kids 13 and under.

Posted by Nazo

I'd go as far as saying there's maybe 20% UK players, 65% USA, and 15% faggotry kids.

When I borrowed Roger's 360 for two or so weeks, I never got into any good rooms. They always had at least two kids. The most I played with was 4 out of 7 people in a room. (Kids that is.) But it was the funniest game ever. Pwning little kids online while they yell in their microphones, "STOP DOING THE SAME THING MAN!" And me calmly replying, "No." Oh such fun.

..I hate children.

UK guys are okay. It's funny when I can copy the accent then they go, "What part of the UK you from, mate?" And I say back, "Mississippi."

I honestly can't see how Roger's reputation on LIVE didn't go down instead of UP. >_> But I didn't get along with people on LIVE just fine. I'd only mess with the *******s.