Religulous

Posted by Aioros

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB8fPJ6zds8"]Funny funny funny.[/URL]

Posted by Bebop

lol religion

Posted by Ant

is it really nessesary to make a movie about what is already blatently obvious?

Posted by Bebop

Yes, because people still think there's an invisible man watching us.

Posted by Kutlass

g0d is a female canadian.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Ant: is it really nessesary to make a movie about what is already blatently obvious?

[COLOR="Yellow"]Obvious? Not to about 80% of the world population, at least.[/COLOR]

Posted by Iris

Haha, take that, believers!

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Looks like another Bowling for Columbine situation where he interviews people on his side (atheists) who have Ph. D's and interviews opponents (religious) who are car mechanics and wal-mart baggers. I'll leech it so he doesn't get any of my money. I'm not a fan of overbearing, pushy atheists, no moreso than overbearing, pushy religious people. You little philosophers may continue your one-liner religion bash-fest now. Sorry I interrupted your pompous little circle-jerk :)

Posted by Iris

Shut up. People with faith are WEAK!

Posted by O.T.L

LoL , "its the voice of ***!" and all the people dancing and singing and stuff. But its good for them to believe in something so they dont feel helpless and stuff, otherwise they might all kill themselves.

LOL "You mess with my *** , we have a problem." LOL

[spoiler] IRis is HOT! [/spoiler]

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: Looks like another Bowling for Columbine situation where he interviews people on his side (atheists) who have Ph. D's and interviews opponents (religious) who are car mechanics and wal-mart baggers. I'll leech it so he doesn't get any of my money. I'm not a fan of overbearing, pushy atheists, no moreso than overbearing, pushy religious people. You little philosophers may continue your one-liner religion bash-fest now. Sorry I interrupted your pompous little circle-jerk :)

He also went to the vatican and there were clips with him talking with high powered religious officials. It's a given he'll talk to blue collars because there will be lulz but from the looks for things he goes higher than that in the relgious food chain. Besides, its not our fault that smarter people tend to be atheist. Thats a fact. Look it up. Look it up on google.

Posted by #061402

Quoting oswaldothelegend: LoL , "its the voice of ***!" and all the people dancing and singing and stuff. But its good for them to believe in something so they dont feel helpless and stuff, otherwise they might all kill themselves.

And this is bad, how..?

Posted by Aioros

Quoting #061402: And this is bad, how..?

[COLOR="Yellow"]It's not. But like i say, if you like feeling good while being stupid, then, heroin is also a good option.[/COLOR]

Posted by O.T.L

Quoting #061402: And this is bad, how..?

we need them to take our orders in fast food joints and to do stupid stuff......???

never mind they can die , thats why we have mexicans.

[spoiler] im mexican , its ok ;) [/spoiler]

Posted by WillisGreeny

Religion: The last hope for man kind to just say "faith" as an answer for everything. Without it, we just might solve something.

Posted by Iris

Yeah, good thing nuns don't procreate, because their genes are inferior for believing in "God!"

Posted by WillisGreeny

According to the nuns, genes have nothing to do with anything.
I call some of the religious people dumb, and they call back to me "you're going to burn in hell"

If ya ask me, we're all holding eachother in contempt.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I think you're going to burn in hell because you're stupid, and stupid people go to hell. The cute part is that you're too stupid to realize that Gregor Mendel, the father of genetics, was an Augustinian Monk (Roman Catholic).

[quote=Bebop]He also went to the vatican and there were clips with him talking with high powered religious officials. It's a given he'll talk to blue collars because there will be lulz but from the looks for things he goes higher than that in the relgious food chain. Besides, its not our fault that smarter people tend to be atheist. Thats a fact. Look it up. Look it up on google.

No, it's just that the intellectuals who flaunt their religious beliefs (or lack thereof) tend to be atheists. That's why you THINK smarter people tend to be atheists. Don't make me start pulling names of religious thinkers again. It gets old having to do that when you guys conveniently forget just how much of what's in your school books wasn't conceived by atheists. Theists of some kind have pretty much cornered every market, save philosophy, and we all know that's a silly science anyways.

Posted by Bebop

*sigh* I guess that's what I get for putting my tounge in my cheek and trying to use a somewhat dated internet joke when talking to a Jesus lover :(

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

it seriously baffles me, the vehement anti-religious statements on these boards. But then I notice the pattern that almost all of them are from the posters who could be competing for "village idiot" on the boards, save wackohater. Not you, Bebop <3

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Quoting Bebop: *sigh* I guess that's what I get for putting my tounge in my cheek and trying to use a somewhat dated internet joke when talking to a Jesus lover :(

you know I don't keep up with internet jokes. I'm too busy loving Jesus.

Posted by #061402

Quoting Aioros: [COLOR="Yellow"]It's not. But like i say, if you like feeling good while being stupid, then, heroin is also a good option.[/COLOR]

I thought it was opium?

Quoting oswaldothelegend: we need them to take our orders in fast food joints and to do stupid stuff......???

More people have died in the name of Religion than for any country or cause... I'd say we would be better off without them. ;) At least the nutjobs who think touch can heal and go around and scream like in the clip. People like that just... no.

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: It gets old having to do that when you guys conveniently forget just how much of what's in your school books wasn't conceived by atheists. Theists of some kind have pretty much cornered every market, save philosophy, and we all know that's a silly science anyways.

That's because it was more or less a crime to be Atheist back in the day.

Posted by WillisGreeny

[quote=Bj Blaskowitz;863157]I think you're going to burn in hell because you're stupid, and stupid people go to hell. The cute part is that you're too stupid to realize that Gregor Mendel, the father of genetics, was an Augustinian Monk (Roman Catholic).

Okay, let me clarify. My nun comment was more specific to reflecting the current tension over opposing research in genetic modifications amoung catholics, not to imply catholics don't believen the "gene". Personally, I was thinking of sister Kathleene Deignan, who's gotten a lot of flack by the catholic church for saying genetics should be studied further.

Not everyone who is religious is stupid (which is kinda why I hate getting lumped with anyone who says that's all I'm saying about religion), there's plenty of religious figures who embrace science, or have logical arguments, exc. I'm agnostic. However, when it comes to the internet, the new cool club seems to be "let's defend religion since everyone is now hating religion".
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/06/nyregion/06profile.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Posted by #061402

Quoting WillisGreeny: Not everyone who is religious is stupid[/url]

YES THEY ARE ALL STUPID.
At least if you ask the media.

I think that view of religious people spawned from how the media only focuses on the nutjobs who go around and say that "If you don't believe in the Lord, THEN THOU SHALT DIE!" Or, muslims. Every single one of them are portrayed as terrorists, and this is how a large group of people view them.

Of course they may or may not view us as infidels who must die for depicting Mohammed. (lol, Denmark)

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]Religious people, believers or people with faith are not the problem. Religion itself is the problem. I honestly believe that the majority of people are good and they're just trying the best they can to get through the world as they can.

It is so easy to point fingers and judge, but you can't blame the victim or the faithful for having beliefs and, in a way, being gullible. A lot of times i get even more mad at skeptics because they throw around insults and make fun of the people who believe. And that shouldn't be the case at all. As a skeptic, you need to really have respect for people's beliefs and be careful as not to purposely insult people because a lot of them have gone through more than you can imagine and religion gives them the hope that they need. For a large amount of people, they not only want it to be true, they need it to be true. And when you question them or their beliefs, you're threatening them.

And while I'm at it, I'd just like to remind some that there's a huge difference between being a skeptic and being cynical. Skepticism deals with the facts and cynicism deals with the motives.[/COLOR]

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Quoting #061402:
More people have died in the name of Religion than for any country or cause... I'd say we would be better off without them. ;) At least the nutjobs who think touch can heal and go around and scream like in the clip. People like that just... no.

prove it.

http://www.taphilo.com/history/war-deaths.shtml

keep in mind this is not including the massacres of civilians by Stalin, Pol-Pot, Mao Tse Tung (all atheists with agendas, mind you), Armenian Genocide, the Purges in the Soviet Union etc etc, or any of the wars/conflicts prior to the American Revolution (it's just the basis for this particular webpage, so don't scream at me about it). If you honestly think that more people have died because of religion, then you are a ****ed fool. The crusades? The glorious revolution? The Holocaust? Pfft, that's chump change compared to the number of people who have died for nationalism or just because of some dickhead ATHEIST dictator's power trip. Quit regurgitating **** without researching it.
[quote=same dumb guy]
That's because it was more or less a crime to be Atheist back in the day.

"back in the day". You mean before the renaissance? Leaving out a major chunk of history aren't you, kid?

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Quoting Aioros: [COLOR="Yellow"]Religious people, believers or people with faith are not the problem. Religion itself is the problem. I honestly believe that the majority of people are good and they're just trying the best they can to get through the world as they can.

It is so easy to point fingers and judge, but you can't blame the victim or the faithful for having beliefs and, in a way, being gullible. A lot of times i get even more mad at skeptics because they throw around insults and make fun of the people who believe. And that shouldn't be the case at all. As a skeptic, you need to really have respect for people's beliefs and be careful as not to purposely insult people because a lot of them have gone through more than you can imagine and religion gives them the hope that they need. For a large amount of people, they not only want it to be true, they need it to be true. And when you question them or their beliefs, you're threatening them.

And while I'm at it, I'd just like to remind some that there's a huge difference between being a skeptic and being cynical. Skepticism deals with the facts and cynicism deals with the motives.[/COLOR]

I disagree. Religions, FOR THE MOST PART, are a good thing. They and their founders preach tolerance, charity, justice, and modesty. The followers are the ones who skew and interpret it as they see fit. It's like me saying "criminals aren't the problem. The law is the problem. You can't blame criminals for what they do, they might have had a rough life. The Law is to blame. I have nothing to back up this claim. I'm just saying it." You see how silly that sounds?

Posted by #061402

Quoting Aioros: [COLOR="Yellow"]Religious people, believers or people with faith are not the problem. Religion itself is the problem.[/COLOR]

It's more the other way around, with religious people misinterpreting the holy scriptures and using them to their own advantage.

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: prove it.

[url=http://bookrate.wordpress.com/2006/07/22/deaths-over-history-religious-vs-nonreligous/]Indeed.[/url]

Also,

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: The crusades? The glorious revolution? The Holocaust? Pfft, that's chump change compared to the number of people who have died for nationalism or just because of some dickhead ATHEIST dictator's power trip.

[url=http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/gunsorxp.htm#XP]Check the Crusades.[/url]

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: "back in the day". You mean before the renaissance? Leaving out a major chunk of history aren't you, kid?

"Kid"? Cut the disrespectful attitude, kid. And you're welcome to tell me how many of the upstanding and important people that changed something during the Renaissance who didn't face resistance from the Church.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Could we please stick with present day Christianity? As much fun as it would be to go through and argue over 2000 years of history, present day effects are what really matter.
Stem-cell research stopped.
Censorship of the Media.
Re-labeling religious documents as scientific documents.
Just, overall, trying to abolish secularism.

Posted by #061402

Eh, works for me.

[spoiler]Although I'm still waiting for BJ's post that I am sure will contain a ****load of teen-angst retribution. [/spoiler]

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: I disagree. Religions, FOR THE MOST PART, are a good thing. They and their founders preach tolerance, charity, justice, and modesty. The followers are the ones who skew and interpret it as they see fit. It's like me saying "criminals aren't the problem. The law is the problem. You can't blame criminals for what they do, they might have had a rough life. The Law is to blame. I have nothing to back up this claim. I'm just saying it." You see how silly that sounds?

[COLOR="Yellow"]No no no no no. That's a terrible analogy. Although both were created by men and are extremely flawed, you can't draw a comparison. Religion (for the most part) is meant to inspire faith and a way of life. The purpose of having laws is (or should be) so that we can provide a set of rules in order to protect the people. As wrong and ridiculous as it may be, religion along with faith for a lack of a better word is sexy. It gives hope, it's inspiration. But the law is cold, it's slow, it takes time. It's there so that maybe people as a group can make better decisions than an individual would. This is why church and state are a no no. Law demands reasoning, religion doesn't.

The bible, for example, is used by many as a moral conduct. Which is just the worst thing you can do. It advocates prejudice, cruelty, superstition and murder.[/COLOR]

Quoting #061402: It's more the other way around, with religious people misinterpreting the holy scriptures and using them to their own advantage.

[COLOR="Yellow"]That's also who i was referring to. It's religion and the people who take advantage of it. Religion promotes a false sense of hope upon it's believers, and these people condone it. The victims are those who really believe and trust everything they say.[/COLOR]

Posted by #061402

Quoting Aioros: [COLOR="Yellow"]That's also who i was referring to. It's religion and the people who take advantage of it. Religion promotes a false sense of hope upon it's believers, and these people condone it. The victims are those who really believe and trust everything they say.[/COLOR]

Ahh, seems I misunderstood you then. Pardon that.

Posted by Bebop

I have no problem with people's religious beliefs as long as they do not endanger others lives (flying planes into buildings because you think *** will dig it is a big no no), are not forced on anyone (religious education sways in favor of Christianity in UK which I disagree with), can respect other people's religious beliefs and are not general poop heads. Unfortunately not many people adopt this. Christians and atheist included.
I'm agnostic and I really don't see the point why people argue about the 'creation' of everything. It's an unanswered question older than mankind itself and it's certainly not going to be solved on an online forum, documentary or 2 part Channel 4 special. You'd have more luck figuring out the gender of mis0 or stopping everyone buying Mariah Carey CDs, two issues that require much more effort and energy!
As for Bill and this 'documentary', he generally comes off very offensive towards religious people anyway, even if at times I find him humorous or to have good points, religious or otherwise, (on a side note I personally find atheists more arrogant and hostile than religious people) so I don't expect this to be any more 'fair' than Richard Dawkins disgusting little television shows. The people who are going to see this are those that enjoy making fun of religion. I’ll probably see it. Because I enjoy making fun of everything.

But I’ll half laugh. So that way if there is a *** he’ll forgive my little agnostic self :)

Just throwing my stance in there before the inevitable ****storm

Posted by Slade

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: I disagree. Religions, FOR THE MOST PART, are a good thing. They and their founders preach tolerance, charity, justice, and modesty. The followers are the ones who skew and interpret it as they see fit.

The tolerance, charity, and justice talked about in religious literature has been misused since it's creation to create hatred between people, greed, and injustice. Judging from these facts, I'd almost say that your last sentence is correct. Except for the fact that any piece of religious literature can be interpreted many different ways, and there is no one correct way to interpret such literature.

I guess my question is how can religion be a good thing when there's no real definition of what a given literature-based religion is? At best I'd say religions are, in rare cases, a good thing. Eh, I can't even say that. Too broad. I can't just say that anything is really good for every person, ever.

In my opinion, parts of religions are GREAT STUFF MAN, for myself at least. Like empathy... I'm really into that, and I probably heard about it in church first (besides it being practiced in my home since day one [religious home]). I put myself in other people's shoes all the time, and that keeps me from being a dick in most situations, which I like. But the entire religion? All that "Convert Others" stuff...? **** that ****. Let people acquire experience and knowledge of the world and others for themselves, and don't you ****ing dare play emotion-inducing piano music while you plead hundreds of adolescents to "come to Jesus" and "see the light." Never, ever use a phrase like that. That's not even real.

But I struggle with making any sort of broad statement, because overall I believe that not a single statement can be made about what is "good" for every person to ever exist.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Quoting #061402:

[url=http://bookrate.wordpress.com/2006/07/22/deaths-over-history-religious-vs-nonreligous/]Indeed.[/url]

Also,

okay. . . so that site proves more were killed in religious wars than by Hitler and Stalin. You're missing my counter-point entirely. Your original statement was that more people have died in religious wars than any other conflicts. I told you that was wrong. You have failed to prove that. You simply pulled a site that says Hitler+Stalin < Jesus. You didn't even read the comments, where people address this, and the author points out that he wasn't comparing religious vs nonreligious. You didn't even read the whole website, did you?, kid?
[QUOTE=#061402;863249]
[url=http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/gunsorxp.htm#XP]Check the Crusades.[/url]

it's funny how you post a site with numbers that the author (of the site) then refutes, point by point, concluding that the numbers are exaggerated. You phail at this "research" thing, kid.

[QUOTE=#061402;863249]

"Kid"? Cut the disrespectful attitude, kid. And you're welcome to tell me how many of the upstanding and important people that changed something during the Renaissance who didn't face resistance from the Church.

nah, I'm finished with you

edit: I'll address the other two intelligent posts when I get back from, ironically, church.

Posted by WillisGreeny

[quote=Aioros;863271]
[COLOR=yellow]The bible, for example, is used by many as a moral conduct. Which is just the worst thing you can do. It advocates prejudice, cruelty, superstition and murder.[/COLOR]

Cheers!

Posted by Shade

[quote]They and their founders preach tolerance

If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them. Leviticus 20:13

Aaaaand tolerance goes out the window. :cookie:

Posted by WillisGreeny

Levitcus... eeck. The portion where it explains what happens to those who disobey is just obnoxious. My seed will rot? OH NO!

Posted by Shade

Yeah, those Jews were pretty strict back in the day.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

alot of languages were pretty strict "back in the day" (what's with this term, anyways?) But that's expected. Slavery, stonings, incest, etc were pretty common "back in the day" as well. As time progressed, so did religion. I guess you kind of missed the part, which I put in all caps, that said FOR THE MOST PART.
Shade, how come your avatar blinks, but doesn't breathe?

Posted by Shade

Progression of tolerance didn't really happen, seeing as my post containing the quote from the Bible is what gives religious people their reason to be prejudice against homosexuality.

I can breathe without a noticeable physical movement, so why shouldn't my avatar?

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

it's from the old testament. The New Testament doesn't touch on that.

Posted by WillisGreeny

So does that mean homosexuality is in the clear according to the New testament?

Posted by Shade

Yup. So Christians have no biblical reason to be against it. Rock on.

And Bj, notice how in my post I said "religion" and not "christianity." Pretty sure the Old Testament is still a religious document.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I don't see how finding one example disproves my theory that religions, for the most part (read those last 3 words again) were founded with peaceful intent. Reading comprehension. The irony is that you are trying to push some homosexuality "tolerance" agenda on me (sure, you're using it as an example, but your personal beliefs on it show through), yet it's pretty obvious you are not tolerant of other peoples' beliefs. You're not going to convert me to agnosticism/atheism, nor are you going to convince anybody else, merely by pointing to one or two scripture quotes in an archaic Jewish text (I don't read too far into the Old Testament. It's mythology.) so why don't you just give it up and let people believe what they want without having to endure your elementary school jeers? I know I'm smarter than you, so your attempts to demean me and all others who have faith, simply because we HAVE faith, really aren't going to do any good, save temporarily inflating your ego at the thought that you are somehow better than a massive percentage of the earth's population because you are too proud to even consider the possibility of a divine being. So why not just give it up and go high five your other friends at Hot Topic at your owning of jesus-freaks online while you buy the newest Panic at the Disco CD or something? I don't mind.

Posted by Shade

Heh. I think it's funny that you gave that kind of response to any of my posts, which I felt were light-hearted. The mind boggles. I'm going to let it rest at this. I am not intolerant of people's beliefs, and I'm a little ticked that you'd assume that based on three very short posts that lacked any substance or opinion.

[quote]an archaic Jewish tet. (I don't read too far into the Old Testament. It's mythology.)

You're calling me intolerant of other people's beliefs while at the same time mocking a religious text? Okay.

You also might want to know a bit more about somebody and their beliefs before wasting your time making half of your post into an elementary school jeer.

Posted by Slade

[center]P
U
R
P
O
S
E
PURPOSE PURPOSE
E
S
O
P
R
U
P

Youth Rally
Your Invited to Live Music, SPECIAL GUEST, Free Lunch

Special Guests - Full Day
Physical, Emotional, spiritual

Test your Purpose

JULY 27 at 1:00 PM, Mirabeau Park
Worship Service, Q&A of Life, Physical, Emotional, and Spiritual Events

Come ready to participate in all games,dress accordingly.
This event is smoke and drug free. God Bless!
[/center]
[right]More Info at lightofthegospel.com[/right]

Posted by WillisGreeny

Yeah, I'm agnostic because I think it's cool, and because I think people will like me more at Hot Topic. (that's a clothing store, correct?)

Different strokes for different folks. I don't hold those with faith under contempt. I hold them as being just as special as anyone who doesn't believe. Having good intentions for religion doesn't impress me all that much, either. What's the road to hell paved with again?

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Iron Koala: Yeah, I'm agnostic because I think it's cool, and because I think people will like me more at Hot Topic. (that's a clothing store, correct?)
[COLOR="Yellow"]
Nah, you're just rational.[/COLOR]

Posted by Shade

That's not far off, actually. Considering agnosticism is a philosophy, it can apply to pretty much anybody who can think, regardless of religion.