Your Gaming Habits

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Slade: **** it, a gaming habits thread is a good idea. make it happen! I'm too tired to do so :)

I agree! It's a good idea. What are your gaming habits?

In my case, it's an evolving science that I'm trying to nail down. During my first few years playing games, I'd swap between NES games faster than a kid with ADD. If a game didn't immediately catch my attention, I'd quickly move on to the next. However, since I had a lot of time back then I'd always return to skipped games and usually play them fully.

As years went by, I became a more selective gamer. I would start playing a single game for a very long time without playing other games, and this practice started to become the norm in the PSOne and N64 days. Thanks to games like The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Metal Gear Solid and every new Final Fantasy, it became imperative that these games be played exclusively. I realized the experience I'd get from these games would be tainted if I played other games in parallel.

This behavior became almost the norm in the PS2 years. I played all 220+ hours of Final Fantasy X without touching other games. The same happened during the several months I played nothing but MGS2. However, excluding MGS2, I found myself wanting to play other games when I was in the "completist" phase of big games. Getting everything there is to get on an epic RPG without playing other games is an exercise in patience and, often, masochism. Since I didn't want my "FFX" mindset to be ruined by other games, I'd often put down playing any games at all for a week or so because I could only play FFX and I didn't always want to play FFX.

I began moving away from playing games to 100% completion, and being a lot more selective on which games I'd play exclusively, and for how long. This was especially true when I joined Full Sail, as gaming time was at a premium. During this time playing games was a mess, as I'd finish some games and leaving others halfway while moving on to new ones. I'd only play "games I already wanted to play," but that meant missing out on discovering games that might end up being awesome.

After moving to Austin and joining Midway, I tried an experiment to fix the issue. I'd play one game for every system at the same time. The systems were: PS2, PS3, GCN, Wii, Xbox, Xbox 360 and a handheld. I'd play a game a day, but what I found after a couple of weeks was that some games would draw me in more than others, so I'd choose to play those games in days where I should be playing others. I played Killer7 and The Getaway a couple of times, but I was actually more interested in finishing Condemned. It got to the point where only a couple of games made it to the "play regularly" lineup. So, I'm still in search for the best way to play games both as a designer, and a gamer. I think the hardest thing to swallow will be accepting that I won't be able to play all the games I'd want... not if I actually want to keep other areas of my life in good condition. There's also the fact that a mark of a good game designer is being genuinely interested in other things besides gaming and technology, and I can only continue to pursue these interests by putting the controller down.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]I'll just copy & paste what i wrote in the "Currently playing" thread that started this.[/COLOR]

Quoting Slade: Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga
Valkyrie Profile 2
Deus Ex
FFTA2

aaaand finishing up FF VIII

[COLOR="Yellow"]See, i can't do that. Playing that many different games at once. Actually i could but i choose no to because it just turns me off from experiencing the full content of a game. Once i start with a game, i stay with it until i'm done and then i move on to another.

Just recently i bought No More Heroes and The Orange Box on the same day and tried playing both at the same time but i just couldn't do it. So i made a decision and left No More Heroes at the 8th assasin and will go back to it once i finish Half-Life 2.

Multiplayer games (Smash Bros), casual and classic XBLA type games are an exception to my rule though, i can pick up and play those at any time.[/COLOR]

Posted by Bebop

I reload a gun when a bullet is fired or no bullets are fired.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I try to limit myself to three ongoing games at a time, max. Any more than that and I lose immersion in some of them, it's weird.

[quote=Bebop;861416]I reload a gun when a bullet is fired or no bullets are fired.
This too. I've lost so many lives to pointless reloading.

Posted by Speedfreak

I get really stupid mistakes over and over completely out of habit, even when I know beforehand it's a mistake. For example, exiting the base in Team Fortress 2 via the same door even when I KNOW there's a sniper looking at it. On the odd occaision I stop making these dumb mistakes I become some kind of gaming god.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Also, my inventory must be in then neatest possible order at ALL TIMES. Man, the inventories in Resident Evil were games within games for me.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Going off of what Speedy said... I tend to do that also. Often I know I shouldn't go back to the same spot hoping to kill the kid who killed me but I can't help it. I feel I can get him this time and just rush in. Though, luckily, my reflexes tend to be good enough that it works out most of the time... even if I can recall multiple times where I've died to the same kid in the same corner seven times in a row.

As for other habits I need to be sitting in the same spot, facing the same angle, with my legs crossed, and only the bedside light on. Otherwise I'm completely off my game, I just do not play well.

But I have no habits for completing a game. I never finished Mass Effect because Burnout came out, and then DMC4 and then Rainbow and so on. Same with Ninja Gaiden 2 actually. I ended up being pulled back into CoD4 and I haven't had the desire to go back. In the end I always end up completing the games, it just takes a lot.

Posted by NikkoFreako

I have a bad habit of quickly losing interests in games after a week or so of only that game, only to come back days weeks or months later and start a new game because I have no recollection of what the hell is happening in the story.
Sucks.
Except for FF7, I still have my save from 5 years ago I play.

Posted by Shade

Pretty much what Vamp said about new games replacing current ones.

Posted by Zeta

Quoting The X: Also, my inventory must be in then neatest possible order at ALL TIMES.

This. I'd always have my Pokemon and GBC Zelda game inventories in a certain order.

The only order I worry about is accessibility. In fact, when I played Oblivion I never moved out of the little poor shack in poor district because all my stuff was already stored away in the chests there. Ended up having so much stuff in that little house that it'd take forever to load up the inventory of any given chest.

Posted by Linko_16

I've got to be careful about finishing games before I move on, because I can only play about three games consistently at a time. Oftentimes I'll start a new game that I absolutely must play, and then completely forget about another one I'm in the middle of.

I will only play any game if I have at least an hour and a half to enjoy it. I can't just dick around with a game for a half-hour or so. And when I do, everything's got to be in equilibrium - my environment, my mood, etc - so I can concentrate on it without paying attention to anything else.

I always take games slowly. I can't just play one game all day, no matter how much I like it.

My learning curve for any game is usually quite long; I'm often clumsy with the controls and mechanics right away, but given time, I normally become highly competent and well-skilled. Naturally, fighting games are a huge time sink for me, but I love it.

I never sell a game. Not only are the chances extremely high that I will play it again someday, I'm also a collector at heart.

Quoted post: I always take games slowly. I can't just play one game all day, no matter how much I like it.

Quoted post:
I never sell a game. Not only are the chances extremely high that I will play it again someday, I'm also a collector at heart.

These two apply to me quite well. The latter more so because I just like having them then knowing I'll play it again (I rarely do.) I'll only ever part with a game if I lend it to someone and never get it back (which is a good 30 games actually.)

The former, well, I don't know what my deal is. BioShock for example took me two full weeks to complete and it was only ten hours. It wasn't that I didn't have time, it's just how I tend to play. Especially with game with save points I tend to shut the game off after every save point (RE's and Metroids for example.) I always feel I won't be able to get to the next save due to time restraints (even though there are none) so I feel it's best to just call it a day when I can instead of losing data from having to leave abruptly.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I will never sell a game. EVER.

I don't think anyone's posted anything yet that I don't do. Except save points. I can never leave a level half-finished.

For me each save point is its own chapter...

Posted by Speedfreak

If my character is a silent protagonist I make up lines for them. Not in a nerdy way, more in a "Well how the hell am I supposed to get up there, numbnuts?" way. Amazingly characters react most of the time. I guess that's kind of the point.

Posted by Shade

Quoting Speedfreak: If my character is a silent protagonist I make up lines for them. Not in a nerdy way, more in a "Well how the hell am I supposed to get up there, numbnuts?" way. Amazingly characters react most of the time. I guess that's kind of the point.

I answered every question in Golden Sun out loud with "I'm a ****ing mute how could I possibly answer you?"

I sell a game if I haven't played it in a month and I've already completed it.

Posted by bazariah

my pre gaming habbits generally involve washing my hands and making sure the controller is clean before play

then the machine goes on and the disc gets insterted

if im playing an nes game i tend to try and beat in one life, if i died near the end i'll actually re-start from the beginning

if im playing a 360 game i'll try and beat as much as i can before i get bored
60+ hours on devil may cry 4
30+ hours on lego star wars 2
dunno how many hours on dynasty warriors 6
bout ten minutes of top spin 2

also with my collection of game themselves i try and keep them all in alphabetical order.. which is a pain when i buy new games

My collection needs to go in order of purchase. I like to be able to look at the stack and know the general time each game came out in any specific stack just by looking at it.

Posted by #061402

Depending on the game, I tend to limit myself to one at a time. Shooters and such I can play a few at a time because they tend to be simple and straightforward. If I've got an RPG going, I tend to play only that until I grow tired of it.

But I have a really bad habit of abandoning games half-way through in favor of another game. Dead Rising I abandoned for Eternal Sonata, and Eternal Sonata I abandoned for Mass Effect. I abandoned Mass Effect for Gears of War, which I played through without even putting another game in the 360. At the moment I'm just playing through Oblivion with three different characters to get all the Achievements.

I have an easier time playing through shooters without abandoning them for a new game. Probably because I never feel like I need to set aside a large chunk of time to play whatever part I need to complete. I could end up playing for 6 hours anyways, but prior to that I didn't feel I needed to make time for the game, you know?

Posted by Arcadios

When I rage I have to crush my controller.
But nto anymore since I don't rage as much as I use to as a kid.

Posted by Alastor

I like to pull the collar of my t-shirt over my mouth/under my nose when playing games. No idea why.

Don't trade stuff in anymore (until like two or three years ago, I did. :().

I try not to have any more than 4 games that I'm currently playing at any one time.

...Not much else comes to mind.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]If i start an RPG and the very first enemies i encounter are rats, that game's going in the trash.

jk[/COLOR]

Posted by mis0

In any racing game, whether online or just against computers, I'll pull the emergency brake right before the finish line and cross it backwards if I'm in first place. I don't know where this even came from either.

Posted by Fate

-Reloading every time there's a bullet missing from the chamber
-Trying to skid vehicles a la Mario Kart as if it's going to work
-Not reading a manual until I get irritated not knowing what icons mean (like The World Ends With You)
-Doing speedruns
-Keeping dim lights and low volume for all games I play at all times of the day
-Ignoring soundtracks until at least the second playthrough
-Going one path and backtracking to the other even though both paths reach the same place
-Organizing inventory like some madman
-Picking up all health items even if I'm fully stocked (I just use a health item if I can and pick up the one I couldn't before)
-Researching the game development on the game I'm playing

I'm sure I do a lot more things but these are the ones that come to mind first.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Fate;861677][COLOR=skyblue]
-Picking up all health items even if I'm fully stocked (I just use a health item if I can and pick up the one I couldn't before)[/COLOR]

I do that with pretty much any collectable. Leaving rupees behind in TP made me RRRAAAAAGEEEE.

Quoted post: -Going one path and backtracking to the other even though both paths reach the same place

I do this too. I like to know where every path goes... even though often they're completely pointless with nothing of interest down them.

Also, I never use items unless I seriously, seriously need to. I tend to stockpile everything, especially higher-power weapons in shooters because I think I'm going to run out of ammo before a situation where I'll actually need it. By the end of the game I've only used the gun once if at all.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Oh yeah, for sure.

hmmmm, guess I'd better keep this apocalypse rifle for later, dont wanna waste it on grunts

using it on this boss? nah, there'll probably be a tougher one later

this isn't the actual final boss, i bet. i'll keep it for his true for-

AAHHHHH FUUUUUCK

Yeah, dude. Ugh, it was so bad for me in RE4. I don't think I used anything other than the pistol for so long before I was afraid I'd run out of shotgun ammo or something before a huge mob of guys.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;861694]Also, I never use items unless I seriously, seriously need to. I tend to stockpile everything, especially higher-power weapons in shooters because I think I'm going to run out of ammo before a situation where I'll actually need it. By the end of the game I've only used the gun once if at all.

[quote=The X;861701]Oh yeah, for sure.

hmmmm, guess I'd better keep this apocalypse rifle for later, dont wanna waste it on grunts

using it on this boss? nah, there'll probably be a tougher one later

this isn't the actual final boss, i bet. i'll keep it for his true for-

AAHHHHH FUUUUUCK

I totally do this too. Maybe it's just flawed game design.

Nah. Just something mental. Often you have more than enough ammo to use it throughout the entire game (even in RE4 to a lesser extent) it's just I can't get over that feeling.

Posted by Speedfreak

Game design and psychology go hand in hand. I reckon there's a way to avoid that.

Other than throwing ridiculous amounts of ammo at you, I doubt it. I did the same in BioShock sticking with the wrench or pistol most of the time even though there was tons of machine-gun and shotgun ammo lying around.

The only way I could think of avoiding it is getting rid of the inventory and only allowing you to carry two main guns like various shooters do. But that only fits FPS titles with gun drops.

Posted by Linko_16

I must explore every corner before advancing. It seriously, seriously bothers me thinking there could be some easily-obtainable goody just lying somewhere for me to find, yet I walked away before even trying to look.

If there's a game coming out I know I'll probably buy, no information needed for me to know if its worth it, I purposely avoid and ignore any available info on the game. I prefer to treat it as though it fell into my lap the very day I bought it. I have the same attitude towards movies.

Posted by Slade

Quoting Speedfreak: Game design and psychology go hand in hand. I reckon there's a way to avoid that.

Giant flashing signs that say "DON'T WORRY, YOU CAN AFFORD TO USE THOSE SHOTGUN SHELLS ON THE NEXT GROUP OF ENEMIES, I PROMISE"

I mostly used the pistol in the beginning of RE4 for the same reason Vamp said. I always reason that there's a whole lotta game between me and the end, and I better have enough ammo for... something. I think even the commercials for the game made me want to save ammo. Some of the creatures that show up on there for .005 seconds looked terrifying. Like 4-5 shotgun rounds terrifying. BETTER SAVE UP

Besides that, I always backtrack when there are two paths, and in large areas I travel along the perimeter once. It's really bothersome to me when I realize that there will never be a hidden box, chest, or item in a game. Almost like I was trained on games with hidden items, so if there are none, I have to change the way I play. Then it feels sloppy because I'll start purposely not exploring in order to save time and avoid frustration.

Last massive paragraph. Sometimes I'll get completely enveloped in pirating games. There was a time when I thought my job was done after I had grabbed the huge NINTENDO ROMS COMPLETE torrent on whatever torrent site. But in the last year, I started spending hours searching for a single unheard-of RPG for, say, the GameBoy just because it has been translated. I'll never play it, but I still have to consult all the fan translation sites I know of, clicking tens of dead links until I finally find the patch, and then I have to wade through viruses and spybots until I get the right rom for the patch... all because an article dated 2002 mentions the game's name and then says that there has maybe been a fan-translation in progress that might possibly be completed within the next year.

Quoted post:
Besides that, I always backtrack when there are two paths, and in large areas I travel along the perimeter once. It's really bothersome to me when I realize that there will never be a hidden box, chest, or item in a game. Almost like I was trained on games with hidden items, so if there are none, I have to change the way I play. Then it feels sloppy because I'll start purposely not exploring in order to save time and avoid frustration.

Collectibles **** me off for the opposite reason. I don't want to search every nook and cranny or scan the perimeter for arbitrary items. Often it's a pointless exercise and it's always a way to artificially inflate the game length. It feels so cheap but I have to do it if I know there's **** there. It wouldn't be so bad if there are extra rooms that help flesh out the environment and experience (sup, BioShock?) but often it's just a huge room with some crate tucked in the corner with some stupid doodad or extra health I don't really need.

Also, if you MUST do that at least put the items in a place that makes sense. For the love of *** that's the least a developer can do.

Posted by Shade

How does putting a statue of Shiva in a pigpen not make sense?

Makes about as much sense as having a statue of shiva in a game.

Posted by Skyway

I play 1 to 2 games at a time "mostly RTS",But i play the game till i beat it unless the game cheats and i cant go on to beat it.

Posted by Zaith

It depends most Rpg's (except Mass Effect and Kotor 1&2) or RTS's I play over a long period of time however shooters I just plow right through.
Racing games I try to own every car.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]Speakng of habits, i have a tendency to spend way too much money on games. Sometimes up to hundreds of dollars on a single visit. One particular time i walked into a Gamestop without any plans to buy anything and i picked up Star Wars KotOR II, Mario Kart: Double Dash, Mario Party 5, Condemned 2: Bloodshot and Lost: Via Domus(brand new) which came to a total of around $130. And the only game i have played from that list is the Lost game, the rest are still on my shelf collecting dust until i decide to play one of them (which is gonna take time because of the dozens of games i also bought and haven't played). It's ridiculous yet i keep doing it.

And like some other people have said on here, i never sell anything. Mostly because i like having a big collection of games.[/COLOR]

Games are the only thing worth spending money on. What else is there? Car insurance and gas? Rest is for fags.

Posted by ItSlaughter

I usually play two or three games at a time. Just so when I get to a part on a game that just truly stumps me or I find difficult to pass I can take a break from it had allow time for my head to clear or my anger to calm while I play something else. I'm also really picky about who I play games around. I hate playing them around my girlfriend cause she just whines I'm playing to long or is mad when she finds out I just bought a game that is 50+ hours. So I limit playing around her. I also hate my friends who either A) freak out about everything you can do in the game and the find the need to yell and attack gangster or B) When they get the control and they just run around shooting the walls and floors and asking what to do then getting ****y when someone kills them and they beg for another turn cause the got screwd. So for the most part I play games by myself when I have an hour or so to sit down and make some actually progress in the game. I prefer to be somewhere were I can smoke cigaretts while I play, cause I don't want to stop playing just because I want a smoke.

Posted by O.T.L

Don't read--> [spoiler] I get boners during gameplay[/spoiler]

I sit on my bed and play, I like to have gaterades nearby because I tend to dehydrate I play so intensly.

Adding on to what Slaughter said... I can't play games around people. Annoys the **** out of me. Only time it's acceptable is if we're all playing or it's with a really good friend who I plan to beat the game with. Otherwise having people watch me just ****s me up.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Usually my brother and I are in the same room while I play games. He always misses moments where I go like ten minutes unscathed, using the coolest combos on enemies in Ninja Gaiden 2, and then turns his head to watch just as I'm being blown up and cut to smithereens. ALWAYS happens.

Another habit would be watching the opening titles and the sometimes-included opening video when I first buy a game, then skipping through it every single time I play after that.

Posted by #061402

Come to think of it, whenever I get a new game, I [b]always[b] watch the entire intro, from the moment the console starts up. Old habit.

Posted by ExoXile

[quote=The X;861430]Also, my inventory must be in then neatest possible order at ALL TIMES. Man, the inventories in Resident Evil were games within games for me.
I'm there with you, especially with RE4.
Liek my briefcase like my room; nice and clean.

And it's fun to organize everything, anyway.

---
And I have formed a habit of not completing games, too.
Never used to leave a game before I beat it, but something has changed, I guess.

The biggest exception being Brawl, playing through that **** like nothing else.
CHALLENGES, HERE I COME.

And unless it's stating to darken outside I won't play.
There is nothing worse than a ****ing reflection of yourself on the TV screen.
...Except if Mr. numbers is there, that's possibly worse.

Posted by mis0

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Adding on to what Slaughter said... I can't play games around people. Annoys the **** out of me. Only time it's acceptable is if we're all playing or it's with a really good friend who I plan to beat the game with. Otherwise having people watch me just ****s me up.

Same, but for a different reason. I can't really concentrate on games while I'm talking to somebody else, which I will if they're around, so I end up screwing up and losing/dying/SNAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!/etc if this happens.

I don't have a problem talking to people. Probably because I play a lot of online games though.

Posted by Speedfreak

I spend a disproportionate amount of my time talking, reading and thinking about games compared to actually playing them.

Posted by Alastor

I sort my characters in RPGs like so.

Up-close fighters -> Fighter/Magic characters -> Magic characters -> Healers

Posted by Slade

Quoting Speedfreak: I spend a disproportionate amount of my time talking, reading and thinking about games compared to actually playing them.

Same. Even if I have a game in my possession, I'll still spend time watching videos of other people playing, reading about the game, doing anything except actually playing it.

I found I have to read everything in a game and listen to all conversations. Oblivion and Mass Effect have brought me to this discovery. I read all the books in Oblivion and talked to every possible NPC. And in Mass Effect I have read about all the planets, read all codex entries (which is an insane amount,) and used all dialogue options to further expand the conversation with everyone I run into. Takes up way more time than what I get out of it, but I can't help it. Feel like I'm missing something otherwise.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Slade;862652]Same. Even if I have a game in my possession, I'll still spend time watching videos of other people playing, reading about the game, doing anything except actually playing it.

The same is probably true of books or films for other people, so it's probably not that bad.

Posted by WillisGreeny

I usually try to take the unbeaten paths in games. If everyone is going fighter, I'll go mage. If everyone is going right, I go left. I rather be original than optimal.

Posted by Speedfreak

I have noticed I tend to play anything extremely defensively. My tactics usually revolve around preventing opponents from harming me or getting to me instead of dealing the most damage possible. I figure if I'm immune I can then beat my opponent at my leisure and be as efficient as possible. It plays havok with learning kung fu, the martial art requires all-out offense for any of it's defenses to work correctly.

I attack first and slowly go into defensive mode once I take the lead. Seems to be the best strategy for me.

Though if it's online I have no particular play-style that I've noticed

Posted by Speedfreak

I reckon everyone has certain patterns, it's got to be a psychology thing. I only noticed mine fairly recently, and shat bricks when I saw it recurring everywhere else.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: I attack first and slowly go into defensive mode once I take the lead. Seems to be the best strategy for me.

Though if it's online I have no particular play-style that I've noticed

[COLOR="Yellow"]Works in Smash Bros. Once your opponent loses their first stock and you're in the lead you can stop playing offensively and be on the defensive side, imposing some damage on them every now and then. If you've inflicted a considerate amount of damage (around 100%) by the time you lose your first stock, you can comeback offensively and make them lose their second stock as soon as possible. That way you're still keeping your lead, and an almost guaranteed victory.[/COLOR]

Posted by WillisGreeny

The key to Megaman games is always be defensive. Anyone can shoot the target, but it takes skill to dodge.

Posted by Fate

Quoting Iron Koala: I usually try to take the unbeaten paths in games. If everyone is going fighter, I'll go mage. If everyone is going right, I go left. I rather be original than optimal.

You should probably play the game the way you want first, then experiment with other stuff later. You could totally ruin a good game by being selective from the start. Games aren't supposed to be about fronts. :/

Nah, it's a good idea! Well... for multiplayer anyways. Everyone on your team tends to go one way and if you go the other way? epic flank kills. And if it's a class-based game I tend to go support cause everyone else is assault or some ****. People always need more health or ammo, but they certainly don't need more machine guns.

Posted by Fate

For multiplayer it totally works, but for playing a game for the first time? Nah.

Yeah, only faggots do that.

Oh yeah, and for games that give you a choice on whether being good or bad, my first time through I'm always good. Otherwise... well, I end up feeling really bad with my responses. I don't want to hurt npcs' feelings =(

Posted by Fate

Opposite for me. It's really tough being a bad guy sometimes, though. Honestly, when I was playing Mass Effect and KotOR I nearly had a stroke making some of those decisions.

Yeah, playing Mass Effect now and that's what made me realise it. Shepard is such a ****ing jerk when you pick the mean choices and I'm like "holy ****... I can't do this." I mean, someone's telling you about getting completely massacred on some remote planet and the evil option is like "This is stupid" and that's almost too *******-ish for my liking.

Posted by cool gamer dad

well I'm pretty thorough whenever I play a game, and I don't like advancing unless I have pretty much everything covered beforehand. As for little gaming habits, I'm sure I have plenty. I get to sucked in though that i don't really notice, and other people would probably notice them long before i do.

For you and multiplayer: First one in with no consideration for what's around the corner. Constant assault basically. Somehow works too!

Posted by WillisGreeny

[quote=Fate;863344][COLOR=skyblue]You should probably play the game the way you want first, then experiment with other stuff later. You could totally ruin a good game by being selective from the start. Games aren't supposed to be about fronts.[/COLOR] :/

I do what I want. :P

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Iron Koala: I usually try to take the unbeaten paths in games. If everyone is going fighter, I'll go mage. If everyone is going right, I go left. I rather be original than optimal.

I'm this way in Pokemon. I try to avoid using popular ones on my static unless I really like them myself.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;863349]Nah, it's a good idea! Well... for multiplayer anyways. Everyone on your team tends to go one way and if you go the other way? epic flank kills. And if it's a class-based game I tend to go support cause everyone else is assault or some ****. People always need more health or ammo, but they certainly don't need more machine guns.

Yeah I like going support, it's nice to not have the pressure of being vital to your team but still be a huge help. My favourite class on TF2 is the sniper, in fact, I usually judge wether an FPS on how fun sniping is. I suppose that could be seen as a gaming habit.

Posted by Fate

Now that I think about it, I'm better at games where the sniper is actually functional for me. Game mechanics, maybe?

Posted by Speedfreak

Totally. Games where I don't like the sniper are usually because the player characters move way too fast so you have to be some kind of robot to actually be able to hit them, often they'll remove the headshot requirement for a 1-hit kill too, which is very unsatisfying. I also hate it when you can't start off with your weapon of choice, like with Halo, Quake or Unreal Tournament. If it's not player-related it's usually shitty maps that ruin it for us. TF2 doesn't seem to suffer any of those problems.

Probably why I like the Call of Duty series so much. Best snipers out there. I don't snipe a majority of the time, but I really like falling back to it if I feel like goofing around or playing differently. So whenever the sniper is useless I almost feel like a large part of online is taken away. Kinda like Rainbow Six Vegas before the snipers were fixed. Impossible to use, but the MP7 made up for it by being so unbalanced.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I don't like sniping because I don't have the patience or steady hands. I need a steady stream of wild bullets to get anywhere in a game.

Posted by WillisGreeny

That sounds American to me.

Quoted post: I don't like sniping because I don't have the patience or steady hands. I need a steady stream of wild bullets to get anywhere in a game.

Patience? I've never camped a match with a sniper. Rainbow I just ran around blindfiring and CoD4 has M40 with ACOG. Never need to stop moving with that beast of a gun.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

M40 sucks.
G3 for the win.

Though, I tend to like the rifles that aren't fully automatic (or snipers) in games. If it lets me tap the button fast enough to where it's almost like a machine gun, then I tend to stick with that gun. In any game.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;863775]Patience? I've never camped a match with a sniper. Rainbow I just ran around blindfiring and CoD4 has M40 with ACOG. Never need to stop moving with that beast of a gun.

There's something about watching some bastard for ages before you kill him that makes it so delicious, though...

Quoted post: M40 sucks.
G3 for the win.

M40 with ACOG is one shot kill anywhere on the body though. It's statistically the best gun in the game in terms of damage.

Posted by #061402

I don't know if it counts as a habit, but I just can't buy used games. My insides shriek with terror at the mere thought. I'm very careful with my games, so having a game that's been scratched or if the casing has been smashed or torn... I hate it.

Posted by Speedfreak

How I figure out what game to play:

1. Do I want to play a new game? (This is relative to me, a game I have not experienced is new) If yes go to 2, if no go to 9.

2. Can I afford a new game? (not relative to me) If yes go to 3, if no go to 4.

3. Any interesting new games out recently? (Important, this is relative. Sequels to games I have never played are original to me) If yes, go to 9, if no go to 4.

4. Are there any older games that I want to play but haven't that come to mind? If yes go to 9, if no go to 5.

5. There are no desirable original games on the market! Take a look through game library, is there one you haven't played very much that I'd like to give another go? If yes go to 9, if no go to 6.

6. Time to resort to sequels. Are there any sequels to games I like that have done something new? If yes go to 9, if no go to 7.

7. Time to resort to rehashes [DANGEROUS TERRITORY]. Is there a sequel to a game I LOVE that didn't turn out badly? If yes go to 9, if no go to 8.

8. There are no original games on the market, there are no games I own that I want to play more, there are no good sequels, there aren't even any rehashes of good games. I'm f[COLOR=lightgreen]u[/COLOR]cked! Replay favourite games and wait 2 weeks before trying again.

9. Problem solved!

The biggest problem with this is step 4, I often can't remember games that interested me at one point but I couldn't play due to other games or a lack of funds. 3 screws me over quite often too, you usually only hear about the sequels and rehashes.

This is basically how I end up buying Radiant Dawn, start playing TF2 WAY after everyone else or suddenly realise how much I love REmake.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

10. fight people on the internet

Posted by Speedfreak

That's actually part of 8, ever notice how I'm on a lot less when there's something I actually want to play?