Need help changing Windows password

Posted by Slade

So a few minutes ago my PC running Windows XP started asking me for a password on startup. Problem is, I don't remember ever setting one, and all my attempts have failed. First question is, is there any way to bypass this without knowing my password? Is there anything I can do in Setup to make it stop asking for a username/password?

Also, I've got Knoppix v5.1.1 here on CD, which I think I can use to change my password. The problem with that plan is that I don't know the root password for this CD. My brother gave me the CD, so he might know it... And I have no clue how to use Linux, so I'd need extreme hand-holding through that procedure.

Finally, I guess I'm just wondering why it decided to start asking me so suddenly. I had just installed new software for a Wireless-G USB thing, and shut down in order to get it working. When I started it up again it asked for username/password for the first time ever.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

http://www.loginrecovery.com/

should work. reveals the password in a few minutes without ****ing anythng up

Posted by Slade

LOLOLOLOL

First of all, thanks for the tip, since I had just come across that website and was wondering if it worked. So I copied down this massive string of numbers for the Admin account, and then chilled and waited for it to get decrypted on the website... In the end I think my result was "100% Completed - Failed"

then I was like "what if there is no password" and LO, THERE WASN'T

Now my question is how do I make sure it won't ask me again? It'd be no problem except I need to plug in this massive Wireless USB thing and have to unplug my keyboard in order to fit it in there.

edit: uhhh I can probably just hit Enter/OK with my mouse, so it's not a problem. but still, to be properly lazy I need to get rid of that ****

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

idk, did you check out User Accounts and see if anything was checked off in there or something? Otherwise, never really heard of that happening...

Posted by Roger Smith

Ooooor, just use Newegg's chat room.

Posted by Slade

Thanks guys, but eh, it doesn't really bother me. Plus it randomly stopped asking me earlier today, so we'll see if it stays that way. Somehow it had something to do with that Wireless USB adapter software... soon as I got rid of it, everything worked a little more smoothly.

Posted by Fate

To prevent this from happening in the future, I'd suggest making your own Hiren's Boot CD.

Posted by ranson

There is no solution u have to reinstall window.