Anyone else get lag?

Posted by Bebop

Every thing I do has a 1 second delay. I thought it was just my connection but alot of people I know get this slowing down jibba jabba. What's everyone connections been like?

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]I guess it depends on your connection plus you location. Also i've noticed that playing one vs one with friends rather than with random people reduces lag by a lot. Try playinw with people close to you. I got a buddy in New Jersey and when i play with him it's like we're playing offline, no lag at all, it's perfect. But then i also played another guy from Florida and he was lagging out the a[COLOR="yellow"]s[/COLOR]s.

I guess it all just comes down to Nintendo crappy online service. This usually never happens with games on other systems.[/COLOR]

Posted by Alastor

The orbs on your friend roster will tell you a lot.

Red: Horrible.
Orange: Bad, but tolerable in most cases.
Yellow: Average.
Green: Good, virtually lagless.
Blue: Best.

Most connections are yellow. Distance and connection quality both play equal roles. For example, I have a cousin 14 miles away with a ****ty connection. Our matches range from orange to yellow. Breakman lives about 2 miles away and has a good connection, so we're blue. Iris lives far away from me, but because we both have good connections, we're green.

As far as what to do to help, make sure you (or anyone else on your network) aren't running any torrents/filesharing programs. If you haven't done it in a while, power cycling your router might help a bit, as well.

Posted by Linkman

well, I played with Alastor today, which was my first experience online with Brawl, and we had a yellow connection. There wa a little bit, but not a whole lot of lag.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Alastor: power cycling your router might help a bit, as well.

How do I do that?

Posted by Alastor

Oh, just unplug it for like 3 to 5 minutes and then plug it back up.

Power cable, obviously, not ethernet.

Posted by Ant

I've never had any lag with anyone on brawl ever.

Posted by Alastor

Nintendo's online is amazing, isn't it? If only it wasn't so dang expensive. :(

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

hahahahaha oh you guys crack me up

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

No matter what you do you'll get lag. I've played on a blue connection before and though hardly noticeable lag was still present. You get what you pay for really.

Well, not really, but point stands.

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

the dots to me at this point mean nothing

Playing with the same person at different days and times through the week, the lag shifts from more to less, even if teh playing is at similar times. Yellow dot sometimes lags, yellow dot sometimes lags less. Green dot sometimes lags, and sometimes it feels flawless. Even as vamp stated, blue lags, while nothing compared to bad lag, you can feel it. I've played with red dots while feeling almost no lag. You go nintendo <3

I don't know why developers don't use, you know, numbers to represent someone's ping. CoD2 did it and it let you know your ping exactly at all times (0 good, 200 and above bad.) Makes more sense than ****ty coloured dots that don't update properly.

Posted by Bebop

How do you check connections for random players? Thats what I do because I only one person on my friends list.

Posted by Ant

you don't. I think it just tries to connect you to other people in your area to reduce lag.

and lol nice friend list FAGGOT

Posted by Bebop

It only came out like a week ago here and I've only been bothered to add my brother becuase it lags too much online. Now you've hurt my feelings :c

Posted by Panic!

I can't play Brawl on Wi-Fi because it lags so bad. I think it's because I have no Wi-Fi set up at all. I don't have any kind of wireless connection in my house. I have no idea how I am getting Wi-Fi.

Posted by Alastor

Quoting Retropusso: I can't play Brawl on Wi-Fi because it lags so bad.

Quoting Retropusso: I don't have any kind of wireless connection in my house.

...Yeah, those might be related.

Posted by Panic!

lol any idea how I'd be getting it? I think the neighbors across the street have it, I thought I might be leeching it. I dunno about that stuff though.

Posted by Alastor

Neighbors would be about the only possibility. Having your own home network would probably reduce lag a ton, though.

Posted by Panic!

Yeah, I know. My mom wants to go wired to connect the multiple computers in the house, though. I was thinking of getting a USB adapter, but no one around here sells them, and the Wii is too far from the computer to run a wired connection.

Posted by Alastor

Really...? They're sold at places like Wal-Mart and GameStop. Any local gaming stores should have them, too.

Posted by Linkman

idk. They'd have to have a pretty strong network in their house for your Wii to pick it up. But the Wii seems to be pretty good at picking up a connection. With mine, I hooked up my Nintendo USB connector I got for DS online. Since my room is about 35-40 feet away from the computer on another floor, I thought for sure it wouldn't connect, but decided to try anyway. It ended up picking it up, and with 3 bars no less.

Saved myself $70 on a router.

Posted by Panic!

I've checked GameStop. They haven't had any in stock for a long time. I might check Wal-Mart. I hadn't thought about that. I just dunno if I am interested in paying for Wi-Fi. I only have 4 games that are Wi-Fi accessable (Guitar Hero III, Guitar Hero: Aerosmith, Brawl, and Mario Kart) and I don't really play any of those too often.

I might just put the extra $40 in the bank, help save for my Xbox 360 Elite. There are tons and tons of games that I've played on my friend's Xbox Live account that I love. Call of Duty 4 and the original Rainbow Six Vegas being the top 2.

Posted by Alastor

I'd say Wi-Fi for Brawl and Mario Kart is worth it. Dunno about Guitar Hero. III had alright Wi-Fi. I don't see why Aerosmith's would be any different.

Not worth it imo. Brawl lags, Mario Kart kinda sucks, GH is better on the other systems, etc.

Posted by Panic!

Yeah, I can't find any good players on either of the Guitar Hero games. Every time I get someone to play on Expert they quit because I am beating them by like 60,000 points.

Posted by Alastor

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Not worth it imo.

That's because all you do is TEH SHOOTAN.

I WISH

But nah, I'm right about those games. MK has seen better years, GH is superior on the 360.

Posted by Alastor

Shame on me for disagreeing with Vamprighto. :(

Posted by junior senior

panic try bestbuy, compusa, circuit city, or radioshack for a usb adapter. I have one for my compter and I got it from circuit city

just get one online if there's none of those stores

Posted by Bebop

Turns out I lag because my connection is absoulte dog pap. :c

You'd lag even with a good connection.

Posted by Bebop

Thats what your mum said

Before I timed out

Posted by Alastor

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: You'd lag even with a good connection.

Just, y'know, not nearly as bad.

Obviously. But lag is lag, is it not? In the case of fighters, especially frame-by-frame based fighters, any sort of lag is a bad thing. You can't hide it like you can in an FPS where you have a full magazine to pump into someone. It's always there and obvious.

Though what makes it worse is that it seems to always be input lag. It's not that the collision is lagging it's that the action you input is lagged, which in my opinion is much more frustrating.